PDA

View Full Version : Tour de France - Stage 11

Phil C
07-13-2005, 08:10 AM
This is another stage for Lance with high mountain climbs. Right now he is leading the peloton but there are two two escapees which includes Vinokourov who is considered a contender. We will see what happens. There is still a long distance to go and the escapees are only just over two minutes from the peloton.

Phil C
07-13-2005, 09:06 AM
Vinokourov is 3min15sec ahead of the peloton. Still a long distance to go though. I look for the peloton to close the gap even though it may not catch up because he is considered one of Lance's strong challengers.

SwtwtrMstngs04
07-13-2005, 09:11 AM
whats the peloton? i have no idea what it means

Phil C
07-13-2005, 09:11 AM
The peloton is gaining and is now 2min55sec behind Vinokourov whos is about 3.3 miles from the highest point of the climb then it is downhill again. Lance must not let him keep too far ahead because of the potential time gain.

Old Tiger
07-13-2005, 09:18 AM
I like the yeller jersey

Phil C
07-13-2005, 09:25 AM
Swt the peloton is where there are most of the riders that are riding in a group. Lance right now is near the front of the peloton. Quite often they ride in this group and then near the finish line some of them breakaway for the finish line.

Right now Vinokourov is still about three minutes ahead of the peloton but Lance is probably not too nervous about him since he is ahead of Vinokourov by over six minutes.

Phil C
07-13-2005, 09:34 AM
Rasmussen has attacted the peloton and is getting ahead of it. This is serious because Lance is only 38 seconds ahead of him and must react to this threat.

Phil C
07-13-2005, 09:45 AM
There is now the Armstrong group ahead of the peloton. They are still rehind Vinokourov and Rasmussen is still leading the Armstrong Group.

pirate4state
07-13-2005, 09:53 AM
Originally posted by Phil C
There is now the Armstrong group ahead of the peloton. They are still rehind Vinokourov and Rasmussen is still leading the Armstrong Group. Are you watching this on tv or keeping up with it via the internet??

Phil C
07-13-2005, 09:56 AM
By internet between inventory updating but I hope to see it on tv when I get a few well deserved days off. :)

Right now Armstrong group is at front of the peloton and is 2min15sec behind Vinokourov with about 15 miles left to go. It is downhill now. The time gap has decreased.

Phil C
07-13-2005, 10:02 AM
The peloton is now 2min5sec so it is gaining on the leader. There is about six miles left to go though so it had better hurry.

Bandera YaYa
07-13-2005, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by Phil C
By internet between inventory updating but I hope to see it on tv when I get a few well deserved days off. :)

Right now Armstrong group is at front of the peloton and is 2min15sec behind Vinokourov with about 15 miles left to go. It is downhill now. The time gap has decreased. uhhhhhh.......I thinks it's your computer that needs a few well deserved days off!!!! :rolleyes:

Phil C
07-13-2005, 10:15 AM
Vinokourov wins the stage in a final sprint against Botelo. He will gain time on Lance but how much is not known. He was over six minutes behind. I think Lance is more concerned about Rasmussen.

Phil C
07-13-2005, 10:17 AM
The peloton was only 1min35sec behind so Lance won't lose too much time to Vinokourov. We will see.

Phil C
07-13-2005, 10:19 AM
Hopefully he will beat Rasmussen.

Phil C
07-13-2005, 10:22 AM
Lance came in near the front of the peloton and finished ahead of Rasmussen but since they were in the group they are awarded the same time. Overall not a bad race for Lance but not as good as yesterday.

Owen B
07-13-2005, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by SwtwtrMstngs04
whats the peloton? i have no idea what it means I'm not a bicycling enthusiast but I'm a pretty good googler and a champion "dictionarian." Peloton is a French word that derives from a word that means "little ball," as does our word "pellet." Peloton basically means "group." We get our word "platoon" from peloton.

Phil, you still haven't convinced me to watch "Dawn at Socorro" or to become enthused about women's softball or "the best NBA championship ever," but I am impressed with your reporting of the Tour de France and am enjoying your commentary. Thank you.

LH Panther Mom
07-13-2005, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by Owen B
Phil, you still haven't convinced me to watch "Dawn at Socorro" but I am impressed with your reporting of the Tour de France and am enjoying your commentary. Thank you.

Ditto for me. Thanks, Phil! :)

Phil C
07-13-2005, 11:41 AM
Thank you LH and Owen. The sad news is that the overall leader Jens Voigt had a rough time today in the mountain climbing and did not finish the race in time to continue the tour. It is too bad because I think he could have possible won some more stages when the race gets flat lands again.

Believe it or not we are past the halfway point of the tour. Basically there are actually 9 more stages left because stage 21 is when they ride together as a group into Paris and this is a formality by tradition. Overall Lance appears to be in good shape but he needs to keep an eye on Rasmussen now as well as they other contenders.