PDA

View Full Version : @ Vernon High School, his teams went 29-2-1 and won the overall state championship i

fury900
07-12-2005, 05:35 PM
Collums returns to ACU staff
Thomsen adds former assistant as offensive coordinator
ABILENE -- New Abilene Christian head football coach Chris Thomsen filled out his coaching staff Tuesday with the hiring of former ACU assistant coach Ken Collums to be the Wildcats' offensive coordinator.

Collums -- who was the quarterbacks/wide receivers coach and passing coordinator at ACU from 1998-98 -- has been the offensive coordinator the last three years at Central Arkansas, and has led the Bears to some of the greatest offensive seasons in school history.

"Ken has been an integral part of the success that Central Arkansas has enjoyed the last several years, and that's what makes getting him back here so big for us," said Thomsen, who was hired on Jan. 21 after serving the last two seasons as the offensive line coach at Central Arkansas. "It's obviously going to take some time to get the same kind of system in place here that we had at Central Arkansas, but having him here will pay big dividends in the long run."

Collums, a former starting quarterback at UCA who led the Bears to the 1991 NAIA national championship, has directed an offensive attack that has averaged 300 yards passing per game in three of the last five seasons. The Bears have finished in the top five in passing in NCAA Division II football in three of the last five seasons, and were the nation's top passing team in 2001, averaging 373 yards per game. The Bears have finished in the top 10 in total offense in four of the last five seasons.

In 2002 -- Collums' first year as offensive coordinator -- the Bears were No. 8 nationally in points per game (37.5), No. 3 in passing yards per game (310.5) and No. 9 in total offense (446 ypg). Last season the Bears featured a balanced attack that racked up 38 points per game (No. 14), 477.7 ypg (No. 6), 269 passing ypg (No. 19) and 208.5 rushing ypg (No. 26).

It's that type of diversity that Thomsen wants to see from the Wildcats.

"It's a proven offensive system, one that gets a lot of people involved and uses their abilities,"Thomsen said. "We just have to find the right personnel to run it and make it effective. That's why our spring training will be so important this year."

The Wildcats will begin spring training on Tuesday, March 15, and go through early April. ACU will open the 2005 season on Saturday, Sept. 3, when it hosts Central Oklahoma at Shotwell Stadium.

Collums received his bachelor's and master's degrees from UCA and was an All-Arkansas Intercollegiate Conference quarterback in 1992. At Vernon High School, his teams went 29-2-1 and won the overall state championship in 1990.

http://www.acu.edu/sports/football/news_2004_05/00210collums.html

http://www.ucasports.com/sport.asp?action=news&sportid=1&article=706

GreenMonster
07-12-2005, 09:16 PM
Ken Collums' father, Dr. Collums, delivered me to this wonderful world on November 29, 1976 there in Vernon at Wilbarger General Hospital. How's that for a small world. ;) 100% true story.

VERNONLION#1
07-12-2005, 09:20 PM
Originally posted by GreenMonster
Ken Collums' father, Dr. Collums, delivered me to this wonderful world on November 29, 1976 there in Vernon at Wilbarger General Hospital. How's that for a small world. ;) 100% true story.

Hey Green Monster have you heard if any area players other than the one from vernon that was invited to play. I think the THSCA puts this game on. Just curious.

GreenMonster
07-13-2005, 12:23 AM
Sorry VL1 I have not. None from IP that I've heard of and the Nelson kid from Rider that signed with Florida has already moved to Gainesville,FL with his family. I wouldn't be suprised if there were at least a couple of area kids there I just don't know of any.