PDA

View Full Version : I rank NEWTON #1 at present!

Old Cardinal
09-30-2002, 02:01 PM
Having seen Newton play only one game, I feel like they deserve the #1 rating. In 4 games they have averaged scoring 36 points per game while giving up ZERO points. It looks like they will be unscored upon going into the game against Jasper. I watched them stop Bridge City's offense who has averaged 30+ points against their other three opponents this season. It take a pretty good defense to hold them to zero points. Newton, if they are ranked #1 will be the first Division II team to hold that ranking.

98Eagle
09-30-2002, 02:46 PM
Thanks for the support Old Card. It is greatly appreciated. It does look like the Eagles will not be scored upon goin into the game against Jasper as their next to opponents are a hopeless Beaumont Kelly & a mediocre Woodville team.

Ranger Mom
09-30-2002, 04:11 PM
When does Newton play Jasper??

98Eagle
09-30-2002, 04:36 PM
October 18th in Jasper.

tap_tx_sinton
09-30-2002, 07:58 PM
Yeah right Newton give me a break. Newton #1 on your list. I give it all to the Mighty Sinton Pirates.......... Good Job Pirates.

3ABirdMan
09-30-2002, 10:08 PM
I watched a VERY good Sinton team dismantle Bridge City in the playoffs last year, and was impressed. They defeated BC player-on-player, one-on-one, with skill and technique. In defense of my Cardinals, we looked just plain "lost" on the field - the same way we looked against Newton last year. I believe some of that was a lack of mental sharpness & not being focused - maybe lost in the "awe" and "wonder" of making it that far in the playoffs, when maybe they weren't expected to be there, and weren't sure they were supposed to be there. But I have to give credit to Sinton - They were GOOD.

Now, that's the only time I have seen Sinton play, and I certainly have not seen this year's team. But I have seen Newton, last year, and again this year. Part of the marvel of watching Newton play is to see the speed and quickness of kids that are too big, or too heavy, to be as fast as they are. Watching kids that are too small and light PUNISH people with their aggressive style of contact, everywhere on the field. I'm telling you, don't sell this team short!

This is not a pot-shot at Sinton! If you guys are anywhere CLOSE to the team you were last year, you don't have to brag and boast - You'll show it on the field, like you already have begun to do. I have the greatest respect and admiration for the Sinton fans on here, and elsewhere. You guys are ALL a class act, and so is your team.

This is directed more for those 'Low fans who don't know either team. Don't forget about Newton - They are the real deal, but they do it on the field with a confidence that is bigger than they are - with the belief that no one is going to stop them, and no one is going to get by them, and somehow, someway, they make it happen. That's their Ace in the hole, and I'd take a kid short on talent with all the heart in the world everytime!

TarponFanInNorthTexas
09-30-2002, 10:13 PM
I'll go ahead and jump on the Newton #1 bandwagon.........only because a lot of the Sinton fans here don't want the #1 ranking. Makes 'em feel like a big target has been put on them.