PDA

View Full Version : Gilmer's Manuel Johnson WOWS Sooner coaches in summer workouts...

nutcrackin
07-11-2005, 02:05 PM
And speaking of newcomers . . .

Wednesday Jerry Schmidt and his crew timed and worked out fifteen of the incoming freshman. Getting rave reviews this week were several members of the 2005 class, including 6-4 DT Brian Simmons, who reported at 295, (a loss of some 10 pounds of 'extra'), and was pronounced by coach Schmidt as very impressive, fit and 'ready to play'.

Manuel Johnson, the WR who spent last year carrying his Gilmer, Texas team to their first ever State Championship as a quarterback, was ignored by some schools early on last year. Not Oklahoma. No one doubted his athletic ability, (as he had led Texas high schools in receiving yards as a junior), but with a 40 time of 4.6, pure speed was a question.

So all Manuel Johnson did this week was come in and run the fastest time of any of the freshmen tested so far. (What would be translated to something in the 4.4 range, if run on a harder surface). Some staff members already thought MJ could be the steal of the class, and offer the best imitation of first round choice Mark Clayton, and that was before his eye popping performance this week.

Another pleasant surprise was WR Malcolm Kelly, who checked in at 6-4 / 206 and ran in the 4.5 range. Last year Malcolm was considered to be the best in Texas at 6-3.5 / 190. Those sixteen extra pounds means Malcolm could be the ticket for some PT this year.

Also looking like a million dollars were DB's Keenan Clayton and Nic Harris. More important is that there have been no disappointments in this class so far.

It's not always just a matter of size and speed. According to some, FB Matt Clapp and DeMarcus Granger have been most impressive in taking a leadership role of the group in their first week together as Sooners. That goes a long way with coaches looking for someone to go in due to an emergency.

You get the feeling after hearing Schmitty and Stoops speak about this class that it's truly exceptional. These are two very demanding - seasoned men who are used to being around the top talent in the nation at schools like Florida, Nebraska and Notre Dame, not to mention OU the last five years. Not exactly two people prone to embellish or lavish praise unless deserved.

Yet each says that this group is going to be dynamite. You can honestly see the awe and excitement of their faces when they describe these kids, and apparently the entire group has drawn similar acclaim. It's fairly easy to get excited about OU's immediate - and long term future with incoming recruiting classes continuing to raise the bar.

Compliments of www.ouboards.com

lepfan
07-11-2005, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by nutcrackin
was ignored by some schools early on last year. Not Oklahoma

We love those "Texas boys" who have been 'overlooked'. ;) :)

JasperDog94
07-11-2005, 02:43 PM
I seriously doubt he was "overlooked".

lepfan
07-11-2005, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
I seriously doubt he was "overlooked".

I was just going by what the article said! (oops, the article said 'ignored' )

So I guess I should have said we love those Texas boys who have been ignored by other schools. :)

lostaussie
07-11-2005, 03:11 PM
I wish we could borrow him for 1 more year. go MJ.

nutcrackin
07-11-2005, 04:36 PM
It seems at last years UT camp the staff had trouble remembering MJ's name. He mentioned that the OU staff was well aware of his name and treated him equal to the others and not like a "small school" overachiever. But this isn't news based on the small school talent that OU recruits and that flourishes in their system. UT only knows about the 5A and some 4A players. They need to take notes. Most would prefer to stay closer to home but you also want to go where you're wanted and needed.

LH Panther Mom
07-11-2005, 05:25 PM
Most would prefer to stay closer to home but you also want to go where you're wanted and needed.

I agree completely! :)

lepfan
07-11-2005, 06:50 PM
It seems at last years UT camp the staff had trouble remembering MJ's name. He mentioned that the OU staff was well aware of his name and treated him equal to the others and not like a "small school" overachiever. But this isn't news based on the small school talent that OU recruits and that flourishes in their system. UT only knows about the 5A and some 4A players. They need to take notes. Most would prefer to stay closer to home but you also want to go where you're wanted and needed.

You hit the nail on the head nutcrackin...Kind of like Peterson...Stoops visited him at his home and went to the prison to visit AD's dad. Mack Brown did not make a home visit to AD until AFTER he announced he was going to OU.

Black_Magic
07-11-2005, 07:17 PM
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

kaorder1999
07-11-2005, 08:32 PM
the clayton kid from sulphur springs is a STUD

eagle.eyes
07-11-2005, 09:48 PM
Well said nutcrackin!

Buffalo
07-11-2005, 11:55 PM
have not agreed with nutcrakin ever until now well said nut

nutcrackin
07-12-2005, 10:17 AM
I wouldn't be fulfilling my name sake if everyone agreed with a nut now would I?

44INAROW
07-12-2005, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by lepfan
You hit the nail on the head nutcrackin...Kind of like Peterson...Stoops visited him at his home and went to the prison to visit AD's dad. Mack Brown did not make a home visit to AD until AFTER he announced he was going to OU.

just curious - does his dad work at the prision or is he a resident?

nutcrackin
07-12-2005, 10:24 AM
His father is in prison and has been there since AD was very young. His step father was the primary father figure.

44INAROW
07-12-2005, 10:27 AM
thanks

JasperDog94
07-12-2005, 02:47 PM
It seems at last years UT camp the staff had trouble remembering MJ's name. He mentioned that the OU staff was well aware of his name and treated him equal to the others and not like a "small school" overachiever. But this isn't news based on the small school talent that OU recruits and that flourishes in their system. UT only knows about the 5A and some 4A players. They need to take notes. Most would prefer to stay closer to home but you also want to go where you're wanted and needed. I'm not saying you're wrong about the entire staff, but I've heard that Mack Brown remembers your third cousin's name once you tell him. I've heard this from several folks that have come in contact with Mack. Maybe other coaches but not Mack.

JasperDog94
07-12-2005, 02:53 PM
UT only knows about the 5A and some 4A players. I think a kid right up the road from me named Brian Robison from Splendora would have do disagree with this statement.

nutcrackin
07-12-2005, 02:57 PM
And I've heard that ol' Mack needs a tele-promtor to remember his own name. Your info is from someone who witnessed this first hand as Manuel did? But it is easy to see how good a coach is by how prepared his assistants and coordinators are at these camps and in games.

JasperDog94
07-12-2005, 02:58 PM
And I've heard that ol' Mack needs a tele-promtor to remember his own name. Now that's just a dumb statement.

nutcrackin
07-12-2005, 03:01 PM
but if you were a smart guy you would realize the intent of the statement. It was equally as dumb as someone saying they heard from someone that knows someone that said..........about anything... One is first hand info and the other is ... well....You did read where it said, "I heard...." or did you miss that part.

nutcrackin
07-12-2005, 03:02 PM
And you did start off with, "I think..." nuff said.

JasperDog94
07-12-2005, 03:07 PM
And you did start off with, "I think..." nuff said. The point of that statement is that there's a kid from 3A that's starting for the Horns. Remember this statement?

UT only knows about the 5A and some 4A players. They need to take notes.

Nuff said...:cool:

JasperDog94
07-12-2005, 03:08 PM
but if you were a smart guy you would realize the intent of the statement. It was equally as dumb as someone saying they heard from someone that knows someone that said..........about anything... One is first hand info and the other is ... well....You did read where it said, "I heard...." or did you miss that part. This came directly from kids that have been recruited by Mack. Your statement was in regards to other coaches. I'm just stating that Mack knows his stuff.

nutcrackin
07-12-2005, 03:14 PM
I agree... no one ever said that Mack is not a GREAT recruiter of the top talent... From page 1 on it has been about finding that special small school talent by doing homework. Maybe Brian is a special talent, not far from the comforts of Austin either, that didn't go unnoticed. I am speaking about the majority. I don't deal with exceptions 2 the rule because you can always find those.. Heck, look at UT's roster.. A kid from Gilmer that hardly ever played at the high school level, is on the roster, Clayton Tefteller. It is more about who you know down in Austin.

gtownpoke
07-13-2005, 10:04 PM
Clayton is on the Texas roster because he walked on

PhiI C
07-13-2005, 10:08 PM
Sooner coaches??!! I thought for a second you wrote Soccer Coaches! :D

JasperDog94
09-11-2005, 04:45 PM
UT only knows about the 5A and some 4A players. I would venture a guess that the entire country knows about 3A ball in Texas now. Robison and Pittman represented all of 3A with great performances Saturday night.:clap: :clap:

lepfan
09-11-2005, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
Robison and Pittman represented all of 3A with great performances Saturday night.:clap: :clap:

All the more reason they need to focus as much on 3A while wooing the 4 and 5 A guys. :)

JasperDog94
09-11-2005, 04:51 PM
Just imagine when Shipley gets some playing time. Three 3A players as starters on a national champ contending team!!!:D

crabman
09-11-2005, 06:07 PM
A&M is not exactly a national contender but Japhus Brown (Edna) and Cody Wallace (Cuero) are representing our district as starters for the Ags. Stephen McGee (Burnet when they were 3A) is in the wings waiting for Reggie to graduate. There is a lot of 3A floating around.

Just thought about that dude north of the border. Something Peterson????? :D

Tidal Wave
09-11-2005, 06:41 PM
Jordan Shipley,Pittman,and a few other who will be STARTING for UT...who says UT overlooks the small schools?...peace!

JasperDog94
09-11-2005, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by crabman
A&M is not exactly a national contender but Japhus Brown (Edna) and Cody Wallace (Cuero) are representing our district as starters for the Ags. Stephen McGee (Burnet when they were 3A) is in the wings waiting for Reggie to graduate. There is a lot of 3A floating around.

Just thought about that dude north of the border. Something Peterson????? :D Don't forget Red Bryant from Jasper. The projected Big 12 sophomore of the year.