PDA

View Full Version : Ensberg An All Star

Ranger05
07-11-2005, 12:25 AM
DETROIT -- Inundated with questions about possibly making the All-Star team in recent weeks, Morgan Ensberg said, "It's like that old joke goes. 'How do you make God laugh? Tell him your plans.'"
Ensberg's plan was to go to Lake Tahoe with his wife, Christi, and former teammate and current Padres reliever Scott Linebrink, and his wife, Kelly, during the All-Star break.

Until Sunday, that is, when Cardinals third baseman Scott Rolen pulled out of the All-Star Game at the last minute because he needs to "protect his troubled left shoulder." That means Ensberg, whose 24 homers are a franchise record for a third baseman in the first half, is headed to Detroit.

"I see getting voted in as a sign of honor and respect," said Rolen, who was the fans' choice despite missing the last three weeks of May and the first two-plus weeks of June after undergoing arthroscopic surgery to repair a labral tear.

"Me not going, at this point, I certainly hope is not taken as a sign of disrespect to the fans or to Major League Baseball," Rolen said.

Ensberg was considered the most snubbed of all the All-Star candidates who didn't make the cut. He has driven in 65 runs so far this season, and there isn't one Astros player who doesn't credit him for the club's amazing turnaround that put it one game above .500 heading into the midway point of the '05 season.

Ensberg's 24 home runs lead the Majors at the position and are also tied for the fifth-most by a third baseman in the Majors in the first half over the last 10 seasons (1996-2005). In his last 29 games since June 11, Ensberg has 11 home runs and 32 RBIs.

Ensberg's selection gives the Astros four players on the NL All-Star team for the second consecutive season. Houston right-handers Roger Clemens, Brad Lidge and Roy Oswalt were also named All-Stars this season, while in 2004, Clemens joined Carlos Beltran, Lance Berkman and Jeff Kent as Astros on the NL team.

Ensberg's name popped up earlier last week, when Dodgers shortstop Cesar Izturis went on the disabled list and had to pull out of the All-Star Game. But the rules state that a player who was voted in by the managers and players has to be replaced by the next-highest vote-getter at that position, so NL manager Tony La Russa wouldn't have had the power to make his own choice even if he wanted to.

But a player voted in by the fans is replaceable by the manager, and on Sunday, La Russa picked Ensberg to fill in for Rolen.

Ensberg, 29, has 65 runs batted in. He's one shy of reaching his career high for homers, and his RBI total is one away from tying his career best. He drove in 66 in 2004.

The Astros had a franchise-record five players named to the All-Star team in 1994, when Jeff Bagwell, Craig Biggio, Ken Caminiti, Doug Drabek and John Hudek all earned selection to the NL squad. The Astros also had four members of the National League All-Star team in each of the following seasons: 1979 (Joaquin Andujar, Joe Niekro, Joe Sambito, Craig Reynolds), 1986 (Kevin Bass, Glenn Davis, Mike Scott, Dave Smith), and 1999 (Bagwell, Mike Hampton, Jose Lima, Billy Wagner).

LH Panther Mom
07-11-2005, 12:27 AM
WooHoo!!! Fabulous news. :clap: :clap:

sahen
07-11-2005, 12:38 AM
well deserved by Ensberg...hopefully it will keep all this momentum going through the break and we can come out as torrid as we ended the first half...

AggieJohn
07-11-2005, 12:50 AM
awe that's awesome

fairfield_06
07-11-2005, 01:19 AM
He should be starting his numbers were so much better then Rolens. But the fans dont always get it right I am just glad to see he is going.

Ranger05
07-11-2005, 01:21 AM
in my opinion i believe they need to get rid of the fans vote and let the coaches and players do it

fairfield_06
07-11-2005, 01:25 AM
They always say things like its a fans game and they should get to vote. But every year you have a former star who was been injured most of the year and the numbers are terrible who gets the vote to start. The fan vote can just leave you shaking your head.

Ranger05
07-11-2005, 01:28 AM
Hey fairfield 06 do u play football

sahen
07-11-2005, 01:36 AM
fans vote for their favorite players....everyone knows that....i think if the fans vote then it shouldnt count for homefield advantage....actually i think it shouldnt count for homefield advantage anyway....but esp. not if the fans r voting the players in...

Ranger05
07-11-2005, 01:39 AM
Originally posted by sahen
fans vote for their favorite players....everyone knows that....i think if the fans vote then it shouldnt count for homefield advantage....actually i think it shouldnt count for homefield advantage anyway....but esp. not if the fans r voting the players in... I also agree i dont like the homefield advantage deal either

fairfield_06
07-11-2005, 02:50 AM
It is stupid it is meant to make the players play hard. But you got some guy from the Devil Rays playing in the 9th inning for home field advantage in the World Series just a ratings plot. And no i don't play football basketball

Pmoney
07-11-2005, 10:01 AM
Yes....Finally!:D

Maroon87
07-11-2005, 12:05 PM
Very much deserved. Even La Russa himself said last week "If Morgan Ensberg isn't an All Star, I don't know who is." Sad that Rolen had to miss the game but a well earned honor for Mo!:cool:

gobbler grad
07-11-2005, 12:14 PM
about time...he's one of the many reasons the Astros are doing so well right now... congrats to him and hope the Astros keep it up after the All-Star break...

fairfield_06
07-11-2005, 02:47 PM
How is Chris Carpenter getting the start for the national league thats not right by LaRussa.

Ranger05
07-11-2005, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by fairfield_06
How is Chris Carpenter getting the start for the national league thats not right by LaRussa. No joke it should have been clemens, oswalt or willis who got the start.

fairfield_06
07-11-2005, 03:27 PM
I thought it was going to be Willis but Clemens also would of been a good choice but Carpenter no way.

gobbler84
07-11-2005, 07:32 PM
Ensberg deserved it more than anyone!

Whoohoo 200!!!

sahen
07-12-2005, 01:43 AM
Originally posted by fairfield_06
How is Chris Carpenter getting the start for the national league thats not right by LaRussa.
if u follow baseball closely and r not too young then this move by LaRussa shouldnt be too suprising...

Ranger05
07-12-2005, 02:12 AM
It just so happens i do follow the game closely and im not too young and yes in my opinion it is shocking simply because there were 2 guys out there that were better in terms of ERA.

Ranger05
07-12-2005, 02:13 AM
I know u quoted fairfield 06 but i also comitted on it how the moved suprised me.