PDA

View Full Version : interesting trend among big 12 schools in OOC schedules

AggieJohn
07-10-2005, 12:56 PM
Looks like many Big 12 schools are following the K-State school of thought this year when scheduling non conference opponents. Here is the rundown:

Baylor: SMU, Samford, Army
Colorado: CSU, New Mexico St., U of Miami.
Iowa St.: Illinois St.,Iowa,Army
Kansas: Fla. Atlantic,Appalachian St.,La Tech
Kansas St.:Fla Intl.,Marshall,N. Texas
Missouri: Arkie St., New Mexico,Troy
Nebraska: Maine, Wake Forest, Pitt
OU: TCU, Tulsa, UCLA
OSU: Montana St., Fla. Atlantic, Arkie St.
t.u.: UL-Lafayette, Ohio St., Rice
A&M: Clemson, SMU, Texas St.
Tech: Fla. Intl., Sam Houston St., Indiana St.

Only Colodaro, ISU, Nebraska, OU, t.u., & A&M are playing non conference games against teams eligible for BCS bowls. 5 outta 12 aint good for a major conference like ours. Out those 5 only Miami, Iowa and Ohio St. are even ranked in the Top 25 preseason polls. Not too many good preseason matchups for the conference, if you ask me.

Also, what's up with these Florida International and Florida Atlantic teams? 4 games total scheduled for these 2 teams?

big daddy russ
07-11-2005, 02:14 AM
Is CU playing Miami, Florida or Miami, Ohio?

sahen
07-11-2005, 02:27 AM
when ur conference almost guarantees u 3 or 4 games a year against top 20 opponents then i think it is ok to schedule that way in the offseason....heck the BCS doesnt even factor in strength of schedule anymore so apparantly its not that important anymore right?....j/k i see ur point john, but most teams rnt gonna risk an 0-3 nonconference sesason when u have to play the caliber of teams in the big 12 that we have to play....however i think you will see most schools add a tough game when we switch to 4 nonconference games next year....going 2-1 and having to win 4 games for a bowl is a lot tougher than starting 3-1 and having to win 3 more games for a bowl...

sahen
07-11-2005, 02:29 AM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
Is CU playing Miami, Florida or Miami, Ohio?
they r playing miami, florida in miami...

LH Panther Mom
07-11-2005, 06:25 AM
You have to play someone. Maybe those 7 other teams don't have the 1 game scheduled for a team that could be BCS eligible, but only 2 or 3 of those would really be in serious contention for BCS game, imo. Other than that, I don't see a whole lot of difference in playing Montana State vs playing Texas State.

It does make the other schools strength of schedule look much stronger than they might have otherwise. ;)

AggieJohn
07-11-2005, 12:24 PM
well somewhat incorrect there debbie, because fla. int. is going to get ton's of showing in the polls if they score a FG against tech, where as tech has to hang half a hundred on them to make it look like it was a normal game