PDA

View Full Version : Why are you superstitious?

Gobbla2001
09-25-2003, 12:46 PM
This isn't a 'what are your superstitions', though feel free to post any...

But I was just wondering, WHY are YOU superstitious???

I've been superstitious ever since my sophmore year... We made it to the D1 State game against Aledo, and I prayed my butt off for that win, like EVERY morning and EVERY night... Well, after we lost the game 14-7, I asked my mother, a hardcore Christian, why my prayer wasn't answered...

She said something along the lines of 'Because they were praying over there, too... And God isn't going to answer such silly prayers, esspecially when both sides are praying for 'em...'

So I figured the only thing I could pray for is the health of the players and safety of all traveling to the games etc... I figured to win, I had to insert some superstitions...

How 'bout you guys?

Commerce Fan
09-25-2003, 12:51 PM
I would pray for both sides to have no injuries and to play the best game possible and let the best team win. And if it did not mean anything in GODS plan, let my team be the best team tonight.

BIG19
09-25-2003, 12:59 PM
I think it is human nature to be superstitious to some nature. I have always been superstitious secially around things that I cannot explain. Just me I guess.

crzyjournalist03
09-25-2003, 04:08 PM
If I'm not supersitious, bad things might happen wink

LHMom
09-26-2003, 05:29 PM
I believe it was Darrel Royal that said he didn't pray about winning because he figured God had more important things to worry about.

I do pray that the kids will continue to prepare as best they can, that they will play to the best of their ability, that they will demonstrate good sportsmanship, and that God will keep them safe from injury.

Now - I must admit that we have some Friday night "pre-game and game rituals" that some might call superstitious!

X21AAAPlayer
09-26-2003, 05:46 PM
Superstitions are something all people share whether they like it or not. I think some people use them for something to blame in case what they want doesn't happen.

Bandera YaYa
09-27-2003, 02:02 AM
OMG...there isn't enough time for me to answer this one ! eek! eek!

Ulrich von Lichtenstein
09-27-2003, 02:21 AM
<small>[ October 27, 2003, 09:12 PM: Message edited by: Ulrich von Lichtenstein ]</small>

crimson blood
09-27-2003, 11:23 AM
superstition is too closely akin to witchcraft so i try to avoid it, personally. however, i have taken a lot of time to observe it (almost cliniclly). these are my observations.
if the person believes there is some 'unexplainable' benefit to seemingly disconnected repetition then his confidence level seems to rise if he follows his belief. if he neglects this then his confidence and expectations seem to falter.
if the person doesn't believe in ethereal assistance from some talisman yet feels comfortable in the his own pregame ritual then the results are the same.
the bottom line is the sense of confidence the individual builds regardless of how it occurs will often contribute to the level of play he shows.
my take is that there is a great deal of benefit to routine. it has nothing to do with 'the supernatural' and everything to do with the intangible sense of confidence.

personally, when i played baseball i would turn my pants inside out before donning them, :o reversing them as i put them on to help keep my leggings in place and nice looking. :cool:
the penny in my shoe was just in case. wink

MKA
09-28-2003, 01:44 AM
I always wear the same (washed)Outfit to a T with my game jersey. meaning socks undershirt and jeans.I sit in the same seat on the bus and take the same exact steps on the pregame walk of the field. I tighten my pads up one notch tighter than i practice, restrap each glove before every play and then when we win I laugh at how dumb and immature it is. All week long i would tell you how stupid it was until Friday and i do it again.
I faltered to do it twice since i started the ritual and have lost both times. The only 2 losses in 16 games. It may mean nothing and be stupid but i'll be damned if on friday night i change it. :cool:

<small>[ September 28, 2003, 01:45 AM: Message edited by: MKA ]</small>