PDA

View Full Version : Hurricane Dennis

TexasHSFootball
07-08-2005, 10:16 AM
http://image.weather.com/images/maps/tropical/map_tropinfo04_ltst_5nhato_enus_600x405.jpg

44INAROW
07-08-2005, 10:37 AM
Fingers crossed that Dennis stays away from Tampa long enough for my son's flight to land @ 8:30 tonight :cool:

Bandera YaYa
07-08-2005, 10:54 AM
I hope so too......gee I have always wanted to see a hurricane, like you see people walking on the beach and the wind is blowing hard...looks exciting....but then i would want it to stop.....don't want to actually BE in one.......

44INAROW
07-08-2005, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by Bandera YaYa
I hope so too......gee I have always wanted to see a hurricane, like you see people walking on the beach and the wind is blowing hard...looks exciting....but then i would want it to stop.....don't want to actually BE in one.......

my son, the one who lives in FLA, said it is absolutely gorgeous right now.. He's playing golf :D My main concern is "Little44" getting stuck in an airport during weather delays... That would be pretty scarey, being all alone etc. I think it's going to be just fine.. I am just glad he is going today and not tomorrow..

wos fan1
07-08-2005, 11:45 AM
I feel sorry for those folks, they were hit so many times in the past couple of years. This one is a monster and is headed for the Mobile, Pensacola area.:eek:

AggieJohn
07-08-2005, 12:02 PM
what is the level on that 4 or 5

TexasHSFootball
07-08-2005, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by AggieJohn
what is the level on that 4 or 5

Category 1: 74-95 mph; 4-5 ft surge

# Winds of 74-95 mph
# Damage primarily to shrubbery, tree foliage and unanchored mobile homes
# No real damage to other structures
# Some damage to poorly constructed signs
# Storm surge four to five feet above normal
# Low lying coastal roads inundated
# Minor pier damage
# Small craft in exposed anchorages torn from moorings

Category 2: 96-110 mph; 6-8 ft surge

# Winds of 96-110 mph. Considerable damage to shrubbery and tree foliage
# Some trees down Major damage to exposed mobile homes
# Extensive damage to poorly constructed signs
# Some damage to roofing
# Storm surge six to eight feet above normal
# Coastal roads and low lying inland escape routes blocked by rising water two to four hours before arrival of hurricane center. Considerable damage to piers.
# Marinas flooded
# Small craft in unprotected anchorages torn from moorings
# Evacuation of some shoreline residences and low lying islands required

Category 3: 111-130 mph; 9-12 ft surge

# Winds of 111-130 mph. Foliage torn from trees, large trees blown over
# Almost all poorly constructed signs down
# Some damage to roofing; some window and door damage
# Some structural damage to small buildings
# Mobile homes destroyed
# Storm surge nine to 12 feet above normal
# Serious flooding at coast and many smaller structures near coast and many smaller structures near coast destroyed
# Larger structures near coast damaged by battering waves and floating debris
# Low lying inland escape routes blocked by rising water three to five hours before hurricane center arrives
# Flat terrain five feet or less above sea level flooded inland eight miles or more
# Evacuation of low-lying residences within several blocks of shoreline possibly required.

Category 4: 131-155 mph; 13-18 ft surge

# Winds of 131-155 mph
# Shrubs and trees down, all signs down
# Extensive damage to roofing, windows and doors
# Roof collapse
# Complete destruction of mobile homes
# Storm surge 13 to 18 feet above normal
# Flat terrain 10 feet or less above sea level flooded inland as far as six miles
# Major damage to lower floors of structure near shore due to flooding, waves and floating debris
# Low lying water three to five hours before hurricane center arrives
# Major erosion of beaches
# Massive evacuation of all residences within 500 yards of shore possibly required, and of single-story residences on low ground within two miles of shore

Category 5: 155 mph+; 18 ft + surge

# Winds greater than 155 mph. Shrubs and trees down; considerable damage to roofing; all signs down.
# Severe and extensive damage to windows and doors
# Complete roof collapse
# Destruction of glass in windows and doors. Some complete building failures
# Small buildings overturned or blown away
# Complete destruction of mobile homes
# Storm surge higher than 18 feet above normal
# Major damage to lower floors of all structures less than 15 feet above sea level within 500 yards of shore
# Low lying escape routes inland cut off by rising water three to five hours before hurricane center arrives
# Massive evacuation of residential areas on low ground within five to 10 miles of shore possibly required

Astrosdawg07
07-08-2005, 12:13 PM
COMPUTER MODELS
http://maps.wunderground.com/data/images/at200504_model.gif

wos fan1
07-08-2005, 12:22 PM
I just looked at the NAM model which is very good and the new run of it has it closer to New Orleans now! Still think it stays to far east of us to give us any big rains! Remember the stronger the Hurricane the less weather you have on the west side...:(

bccards
07-08-2005, 12:24 PM
For those of you not on the coast, Hurricanes present a BEAUTIFUL sunset about 1-2 days prior to landfall, you will see some of the best sunsets during these times. These sunsets are better than the ones you always see pictures of.. I'll try to find one from some from last years storms, but they don't do justice for what you can see with your own eyes.. Maybe wos fan1 can explain, since his profile used to say he's a meteorologist. Must be TV Station.. I have a pretty good guess on which TV station and meteorologist it is, unless he's a private sector, due to the wos nature of his posts :cool: ;) ..

wos fan1
07-08-2005, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by bccards
For those of you not on the coast, Hurricanes present a BEAUTIFUL sunset about 1-2 days prior to landfall, you will see some of the best sunsets during these times. These sunsets are better than the ones you always see pictures of.. I'll try to find one from some from last years storms, but they don't do justice for what you can see with your own eyes.. Maybe wos fan1 can explain, since his profile used to say he's a meteorologist. Must be TV Station.. I have a pretty good guess on which TV station and meteorologist it is, unless he's a private sector, due to the wos nature of his posts :cool: ;) .. :thinking:

TexasHSFootball
07-08-2005, 01:00 PM
the winds have dropped to 145 MPH.. the weather channel image has updated.

Astrosdawg07
07-08-2005, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by wos fan1
:thinking:

Are you a weather man for a TV stationWoS1? If so which one? KBTV, KFDM, or KBMT?

chaingang
07-08-2005, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by wos fan1
I just looked at the NAM model which is very good and the new run of it has it closer to New Orleans now! Still think it stays to far east of us to give us any big rains! Remember the stronger the Hurricane the less weather you have on the west side...:(

Come on now K, I live in Lafayette. Anything close to N.O. could be dangerous for me. I sure do wish I was still living in Orange because for some reason there is a protective barrier around the town. please tell me I have nothing to worry about! Ive got to grab my playstation and softball equptment and head East....Oh and my daughter too:D

GreenMonster
07-08-2005, 06:52 PM
I have a friend that is currently in town because he is moving his mother and brother to Florida where he now lives. He told me today that he and his Mrs just closed on a house last week just outside of Pensacola in Destin, Florida. He said that they were worried they might get back and not have a home. I can't help but feel sorry for him due to the stress this storm is putting on him.

c-town_balla
07-08-2005, 06:55 PM
Destin will be just fine.......it better be.

bccards
07-08-2005, 07:38 PM
Originally posted by chaingang
Come on now K, I live in Lafayette. Anything close to N.O. could be dangerous for me. I sure do wish I was still living in Orange because for some reason there is a protective barrier around the town. please tell me I have nothing to worry about! Ive got to grab my playstation and softball equptment and head East....Oh and my daughter too:D

Hmmmm... "K"... OK, I believe that my suspicions were right on who I thought wos fan1 was ;)

sahen
07-08-2005, 08:32 PM
Originally posted by Bandera YaYa
i havent seen a hurricane come in (thank god and knock on wood) but i have a seen a tropical storm come in...trust me it is more scarey than exciting....storm clouds as far as the eye can see and a lotta times weird colors other than black....they r spinning also....i guess it looks cool but u know it is gonna be a bad, bad storm....

exbccards76'smom
07-09-2005, 05:38 AM
my prayers are going out for all who are in the way of the this monster storm. Just hope it stays to the east. I live in a Mobile home. I would problem volunteer to work at this hospital where I work.

D_bird
07-10-2005, 12:34 AM
We have relatives who live in the Pensacola area and that ride out every storm. Now for the reason that I am beginning to really worry:

As of Midnight winds are now at 135 mph, making Dennis a Category 4. This is 10 mph stronger than the 10pm CDT advisory.

Just a note: A Category 4 hurricane has never made landfall in the U.S. in July. At the rate this one is strengthening, it may be a Category 5 at landfall. Hopefully it'll weaken some before it hits land like the past few storms that have hit the Gulf Coast.

lepfan
07-10-2005, 12:52 AM
I used to want to do storm chasing...that was until I got caught up in one forming on top of me last summer. Now we just go "watch clouds". I stay within a mile or two of my house! I am sure it is pretty scary to be in the middle of a hurricane! (The tornado I got caught up in almost caused me to lose body functions!:eek: )

44INAROW
07-10-2005, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by c-town_balla
Destin will be just fine.......it better be.

Looks like they are going to get a direct hit :eek: :( Best vacation I ever had was on Destin Island

wos fan1
07-10-2005, 01:38 PM
Man I have a radar pulled up and zoomed in looks like the eye will pass just east of Pensacola...:eek:

turbostud
07-10-2005, 02:58 PM
Anyone watching the weather channel. This guy is just getting pelted with wind and rain and all he can say is "no one should be out on the streets in this stuff." No S#@t. :D

turbostud
07-10-2005, 02:59 PM

wos fan1
07-10-2005, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by turbostud
Anyone watching the weather channel. This guy is just getting pelted with wind and rain and all he can say is "no one should be out on the streets in this stuff." No S#@t. :D He was having to hang on to a post....:D

c-town_balla
07-10-2005, 03:52 PM
Ok has any hurricane been as bad as it could have been? The guy in Destin was like well.....its windy it isnt raining.....no damage, hey they great fro me since im headed there next week

wos fan1
07-10-2005, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by c-town_balla
Ok has any hurricane been as bad as it could have been? The guy in Destin was like well.....its windy it isnt raining.....no damage, hey they great fro me since im headed there next week Looked like the worst was in a very small area just east of Pensacola. The destructive winds were in a very small area...:cool: