PDA

View Full Version : Olympics drop baseball, softball from olympic cometition

Phil C
07-08-2005, 08:21 AM
This starts in 2012 in London. The voting was very secretive. It is said baseball was dropped because MLB goes on in the summer plus drugs scandals. Also both are considered American sports which also may have had something to do with it. Of course construction costs were cited but that should have been the host city's problem since they made the bids. I just wish we could have a temperary stop in MLB in 20089 to send our best players to the olympics with a dream team and put them in their place. Overall it hurts Cuba the most since they usually win the gold medal in baseball.
Regarding softball I guess they were tired of USA dominating like they have and would continue to do so with the talent that we have there. The shame of it is for the ladies that are good at it and look forward to this competition but hopefully something else will be done for world wide competition. Japan is really upset more so because they always get at least a second or third place medal.
I don't know what they will replace them with - golf has been discussed - but pro golfers don't seem enthusiastic over it. Maybe they can have whispering. There probably wouldn't be much need for big construction on this. :)

I hope our softball girls crush everyone in 2008 like they did in 2004! You go Girls! Go USA!