PDA

View Full Version : Know it all test...

lepfan
07-07-2005, 10:00 PM
This is a quiz for people who know everything! I found out in a hurry that I didn't? These are not trick questions? They are straight questions with straight answers.

Post your answers...I will post all the correct answers later.

1. Name the one sport in which neither the spectators nor the participants know the score or the leader until the contest ends.

2. What famous North American landmark is constantly moving backward?

3. Of all vegetables, only two can live to produce on their own for several growing seasons. All other vegetables must be replanted every year.? What are the only two perennial vegetables?

4. Name the only sport in which the ball is always in possession of the team on defense, and the offensive team can score without touching the ball?

5. What fruit has its seeds on the outside?

6. In many liquor stores, you can buy pear brandy, with a real pear inside the bottle.? The pear is whole and ripe, and the bottle is genuine; it hasn't been cut in any way.? How did the pear get inside the bottle?

7. Only three words in standard English begin with the letters "dw" and they are all common words.? Name two of them.

8. There are 14 punctuation marks in English grammar.?Can you name at least half of them?

9. Where are the lakes that are referred to in the Los Angeles Lakers?

10. There are 7 ways a baseball player can legally reach first base without getting a hit.? Taking a base on balls (a walk) is one way.? Name the other 6.

11. Name the only vegetable or fruit that is never sold frozen, canned, processed, cooked, or in any other form except fresh.

12. Name 6 or more things that you can wear on your feet beginning with the letter "S."

Gobbla2001
07-07-2005, 10:09 PM
1.) In Fishing, whether it be BASS or some other fishing tournament broadcasted on ESPN2 or whateve have you, no one, even the fishermen, know who wins until the last weight in...

2.) I dunno...

3.) Dunno

4.) In baseball, the defense has the ball... and if the pitcher walks 4 batters, the offense will score...

5.) - 11.) dunno

12.) Shoes, Sox, Sandals, Slippers, Sneakers, Sacks (if you're doing a potatoe SACK race)

WOS92
07-07-2005, 10:12 PM
4. Baseball

7. dwindle is one

8. Period, question mark, comma, exclamation point, apostrophe, colon, semicolon, hyphen, quotation mark

9. The Great Lakes (originally from... Minnesota?)

CHS_CG
07-07-2005, 10:23 PM
1.) boxing
2.) ?
3.) ?
4.) baseball
5.) ?
6.) ?
7.) ?
8.) Period, comma, semi-colon, question mark, exclamation point, quotation marks, hypen.
9.)-11.) ?

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
07-07-2005, 10:24 PM
I still have more to ponder on, but I'll give you what I have:

1. Boxing...I changed this because I was thinking games.
4. Baseball
6. Grow the seed in the bottle?
7. Dwarf and Dwindle are two
8. Period, question mark, exlamation mark, comma, apostrophe, quotation mark, colon, and semi-colon are some that come to mind.
11. Peanut?
12. Shoes, sandals, slippers, socks, skates, and skis.

SwtwtrMstngs04
07-07-2005, 10:30 PM
5. the strawberry has its seeds on the outside.

GreenMonster
07-08-2005, 08:20 AM
1. I dunno
2. Statue of Liberty
3. Squash and Okra
4. Baseball
5. Strawberry
6. The bottle is placed over the bloom while still on the tree
7. Dwarf & Dwelling
8. , . ? ! ; : "
9. Minnesota
10. HBP, Error, FC, balk, catcher interference, passed ball on 3rd strike
11. I give up
12. shoes, socks, sandals, slides, slippers, stillettos

ej2525
07-08-2005, 08:32 AM
#2 - Niagra Falls?

Ranger Mom
07-08-2005, 09:01 AM
1. Boxing.

2. Niagara Falls.

3. Asparagus and rhubarb. (Boss gave me that answer)

4. Baseball.

5. Strawberry.

6. The bottle placed over the bloom thing sounds good.

7. Dwarf, dwell, and dwindle. (is "dweeb" a word)?

8. Period, comma, colon, semicolon, hyphen, apostrophe, question mark, exclamation point, quotation marks, brackets, parenthesis.

9. ???

10. Being hit by a pitch, catcher drops third strike, fielder's choice, being a pinch runner, catcher interference;

11. Lettuce. (Boss gave me that answer)

12. Shoes, socks, sandals, sneakers, slippers, skis, snowshoes, stockings and stillettos.

District303aPastPlayer
07-08-2005, 10:48 AM
1. Name the one sport in which neither the spectators nor the participants know the score or the leader until the contest ends. Boxing

2. What famous North American landmark is constantly moving backward? Niagra Falls

3. Of all vegetables, only two can live to produce on their own for several growing seasons. All other vegetables must be replanted every year.? What are the only two perennial vegetables? I dont know

4. Name the only sport in which the ball is always in possession of the team on defense, and the offensive team can score without touching the ball? Baseball

5. What fruit has its seeds on the outside? Strawberry

6. In many liquor stores, you can buy pear brandy, with a real pear inside the bottle.? The pear is whole and ripe, and the bottle is genuine; it hasn't been cut in any way.? How did the pear get inside the bottle? Bottle over the bloom or when shaping the glass, its blown... and the pear is places inside, suspended while the glass is cooled.

7. Only three words in standard English begin with the letters "dw" and they are all common words.? Name two of them. Dwindle, Dweeb, Dwight?

8. There are 14 punctuation marks in English grammar.?Can you name at least half of them? exclamation point, comma, apostorphe, question mark, period, quotation marks, colon, semi-colon

9. Where are the lakes that are referred to in the Los Angeles Lakers? Minneapolos, when they were the Minneapolos Lakers

10. There are 7 ways a baseball player can legally reach first base without getting a hit.? Taking a base on balls (a walk) is one way.? Name the other 6. A an error on a 3rd strike, being a pinch runner, cather interference, fielders choice, Hit by pitch, an error, and if a came is called due to weather and a player is traded and you replace that player

11. Name the only vegetable or fruit that is never sold frozen, canned, processed, cooked, or in any other form except fresh. lettuce

12. Name 6 or more things that you can wear on your feet beginning with the letter "S." Shoes, socks, sandals, skis, sneakers, snowshoes, stilleto heels

jason
07-08-2005, 10:52 AM
#10 is an invalid question....this proves i know everything hehe

http://espn.go.com/magazine/vol4no10answerguy.html
for those who dont believe me

There are 23 legal ways to get to first.

1 Walk
2 intentional walk
3 hit by pitch
4 dropped third strike
5 failure to deliver pitch within 20 seconds,
6 catcher interference
7 fielder interference
8 spectator interference
9 fan obstruction
10 fair ball hits umpire
11 fair ball hits runner
12 fielder obstructs runner
13 pinch-runner
14 fielder's choice
15 force out at another base
16 preceding runner put-out allows batter to reach first
17 sac bunt fails to advance runner
18 sac fly dropped
19 runner called out on appeal
20 error
21 four illegal pitches
22 if a game is suspended with a runner on first and that player is traded prior to the makeup, another player can take his place

44INAROW
07-08-2005, 11:41 AM
re: #10 - how about when there is a tie during a "timed" game - don't they put a guy on 1st and 2nd with 1 out? I might be wrong but I think that happened to us this year

We're Back
07-08-2005, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by 44INAROW
re: #10 - how about when there is a tie during a "timed" game - don't they put a guy on 1st and 2nd with 1 out? I might be wrong but I think that happened to us this year

no you are thinking of when we were in the Flatonia Tournament, in a tournament if you go to extra innings, the last batter from your team who got out starts on 2nd base with 1 out and you play this way until you have a winner.

We're Back
07-08-2005, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by jason
#10 is an invalid question....this proves i know everything hehe

http://espn.go.com/magazine/vol4no10answerguy.html
for those who dont believe me

There are 23 legal ways to get to first.

1 Walk
2 intentional walk
3 hit by pitch
4 dropped third strike
5 failure to deliver pitch within 20 seconds,
6 catcher interference
7 fielder interference
8 spectator interference
9 fan obstruction
10 fair ball hits umpire
11 fair ball hits runner
12 fielder obstructs runner
13 pinch-runner
14 fielder's choice
15 force out at another base
16 preceding runner put-out allows batter to reach first
17 sac bunt fails to advance runner
18 sac fly dropped
19 runner called out on appeal
20 error
21 four illegal pitches
22 if a game is suspended with a runner on first and that player is traded prior to the makeup, another player can take his place

some of these ways mean the same thing, ex. fielders choice and force out at another base, and preceding runner put out allows batter to reach first is all the same thing, and a walk and intentional walk is still scored as BB(base on balls), a sac fly dropped would be an error, so would a passed ball 3rd strike( it would be scored K E2, strikeout with an error on the catcher.)

Phil C
07-08-2005, 01:47 PM
On No. 4 how about softball. That would invalidate baseball because the question said only sport. :)

lepfan
07-08-2005, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by ej2525
#2 - Niagra Falls?

YES

GreenMonster
07-08-2005, 06:56 PM
I have to ask, is it not also true that the Atlantic ocean grows wider by a matter of inches each year? And if this is fact, then wouldn't it also be true that the Statue of Liberty is also moving backwards? She does face the Atlantic Ocean doesn't she?

lepfan
07-08-2005, 07:15 PM
Here are the answers...

Answers To Quiz:

1. The one sport in which neither the spectators nor the participants know the score or the leader until the contest ends . . . boxing

2. North American landmark constantly moving backward . . . Niagara Falls (The rim is worn down about two and a half feet each year because of the millions of gallons of water that rush over it every minute.)

3. Only two vegetables that can live to produce on their own for several growing seasons . . . asparagus and rhubarb.

4. The only sport in which the ball is always in possession of the team on defense, and the offensive team can score without touching the ball . . . baseball.

5. The fruit with its seeds on the outside . . strawberry.

6. How did the pear get inside the brandy bottle? It grew inside the bottle. (The bottles are placed over pear buds when they are small, and are wired in place on the tree. The bottle is left in place for the entire growing season. When the pears are ripe, they are snipped off at the stems.)

7. Three English words beginning with dw: dwarf, dwell and dwindle.

8. Fourteen punctuation marks in English grammar . . . period, comma, colon, semicolon, dash, hyphen, apostrophe, question mark, exclamation point, quotation marks, brackets, parenthesis, braces, and ellipses.

9. The original lakes referred to in Lakers . . . in Minnesota. (The team was originally known as the Minneapolis Lakers, and kept the name when they moved west.)

10. Seven ways a baseball player can legally reach first base without getting a hit . . . taking a base on balls(a walk) . . . batter hit by a pitch, passed ball, catcher interference, catcher drops third strike, fielder's choice, and being designated as a pinch-runner.

11. The only vegetable or fruit never sold frozen, canned, processed, cooked, or in any other form but fresh: lettuce.

12. Six or more things you can wear on your feet beginning with "s" . . . shoes, socks, sandals, sneakers, slippers, skis, skates, snowshoes, stockings, stilts.

sinton66
07-08-2005, 08:28 PM
11. How many of you cook radishes?:D

LH Panther Mom
07-08-2005, 11:15 PM
Originally posted by sinton66

Ewwwwwww! I can't stand them in any form or fashion. BLYEK!

CHS_CG
07-09-2005, 02:51 AM
Originally posted by sinton66

http://www.gcn.ie/newgcn/forum/smileys/sm/vomit.gifhttp://www.gcn.ie/newgcn/forum/smileys/sm/fainting_ani.gifhttp://www.gcn.ie/newgcn/forum/smileys/sm/new/sick.gifhttp://www.gcn.ie/newgcn/forum/smileys/sm/yucky.gif

you must be http://www.gcn.ie/newgcn/forum/smileys/sm/crazy.gif tony!

big daddy russ
07-09-2005, 03:30 AM
This is a quiz for people who know everything! I found out in a hurry that I didn't? These are not trick questions? They are straight questions with straight answers.

Post your answers...I will post all the correct answers later.

1. Name the one sport in which neither the spectators nor the participants know the score or the leader until the contest ends.

Boxing

2. What famous North American landmark is constantly moving backward?

???

3. Of all vegetables, only two can live to produce on their own for several growing seasons. All other vegetables must be replanted every year.? What are the only two perennial vegetables?

Lettuce, Cabbage???

4. Name the only sport in which the ball is always in possession of the team on defense, and the offensive team can score without touching the ball?

Baseball

5. What fruit has its seeds on the outside?

Strawberries

6. In many liquor stores, you can buy pear brandy, with a real pear inside the bottle.? The pear is whole and ripe, and the bottle is genuine; it hasn't been cut in any way.? How did the pear get inside the bottle?

Put the seed in the bottle?

7. Only three words in standard English begin with the letters "dw" and they are all common words.? Name two of them.

Dwell, dwelling, dwarf???

8. There are 14 punctuation marks in English grammar.?Can you name at least half of them?

Period, comma, question mark, exclamation mark, quotations, apostrophe, colon, semicolon,

9. Where are the lakes that are referred to in the Los Angeles Lakers?

Minnesota

10. There are 7 ways a baseball player can legally reach first base without getting a hit.? Taking a base on balls (a walk) is one way.? Name the other 6.

Pass ball on strikes, hit by pitch, error, fielder's choice, ???if he's a pinch runner???, interference

11. Name the only vegetable or fruit that is never sold frozen, canned, processed, cooked, or in any other form except fresh.

Lettuce?

12. Name 6 or more things that you can wear on your feet beginning with the letter "S."

Shoes, sandals, socks, sneakers, stillettoes (sp?), stockings