PDA

View Full Version : National Fast Pitch Assoc. State Tournament at Spring this Fri, Sat, & Sun.

Old Cardinal
07-07-2005, 09:23 PM
This weekend the super fast growing NFSA group will have their select team State Championship Tournament for 14 and on up aged teams.
I looked over the high quality team list and their will be some great games this weekend.
I like this format in that all bracket games are scheduled at pre-set specific times until you have the "final four" teams meet to decide the State Champion. It's similar to the UIL format.
The best feature is that there are no time limits on the games--you play out ALL the specified innings, even the pool games. That lets the girls decide the winners on the field of play. It is so well organized.
Time cushions are pre-set so that the games take place time-wise as scheduled. The other Associations would do will to copy this format.
If you get a chance come out and see some good teams, with many of the better HS players, play for the State Championship.
If you are in the Greater Houston area it would be a good opportunity to see some great SB.

softball_mom
07-07-2005, 11:41 PM
Lots of great games this weekend in Beaumont.....at the AFA State Tournament also. Congratulations to some of the Lady Necks softball players....they won the 16u ASA "A" State Tournament in College Station.

Old Cardinal
07-08-2005, 08:21 AM
Yes Softball Mom, from 12 on up in age will play for the AFA State Championship at Ford Park. Interestingly, the USSSA will have their World Championship starting the following day, it will go July 11- July 17 on those same fields.
To 18 handicap: I will not be in Beaumont for the 18 & u AFA Nationals; instead I will be in Gulfport, MS for the NFSA Nationals. We have helped secure some of their Regional Tournaments for Beaumont and other locations in Texas. Others of us are talking to them also about having their National Tournament in Beaumont. There are some top level 12 & U, 14 & U and 16 & U Texas teams going down there to try to bring home the bacon. The Gulf Coast Breakers won the whole enchellata a couple of year ago.
Tommy Voss(Foad Park Coordinator) has been incredible in securing top flight Tournaments for Texas SB and now we are out trying to help to get top flight out-of-state Assiciations & other groups to come our way and participate.
I was amazed at the travel teams showing up to play in the local tournaments. The other day we had a big number of teams down here from not only TX but MS, OK, & LA; this was not even a regional qualifier tournament.
With the Beaumont Complex(15 fields) and the opulent Ford Park(12 fields) its a natural to have all the Nationals played right here. I sure hope we can secure the NFSA Nationals-- that group will be the largest of all affiliates in 10 years because they have a much better formal. AFA and NFSA will continue to grow and I think ASA will not grow.
If anyone needs to house a team down our way and are short on funds there are some church Retreat Centers that will consider(if not booked already) letting your team cloister there at a very reasonable cost--contact me for details.

18handicap
07-08-2005, 10:41 AM
Sorry you won't be there. I was hoping to meet you in person and talk softball and maybe compare some notes. I guess we'll have to do that another time.

Old Cardinal
07-08-2005, 11:10 AM
18 handicap: I look forward to meeting you also. I have enjoyed our correspondence and phone conversations. Please send a private message with your new phone number and E-mail in the LG area. I am excited for you and the LG folks-- you are quite recognized as one of the best SB Coaches around--mainly because you care and have a heart...

Someone ask why the Golden Triangle select teams tend to rotate playing in State & National Tournaments outside of the Beaumont area. Here is a prime example: When the Gulf Coast Breakers and Beaumont Blast Red were both 12 & U they played at Ford Park in the ASA Texas State Tournament. Well the Blast beat the Breakers, yet the Breakers came back through the Losers bracket and beat the Blast in the finals for the State Championship. It was really kind of weird in that dozens and dozens of teams across TX had been eliminated and the local fans sat at and almost empty park with two of our local teams left going for the Championship!
Well it is hard to beat the out-of-towners if you have to expend your best pitching to beat good teams that you practice against locally to stay alive in bracket play. LOL
I think these local travel teams just get a kick out of going off to play a tournament. This NFSA Tournament ought to be interesting in that a lot of teams that are 14 & U qualified, yet are quite potent playing all 16 & U & sometimes 18 & U scheduling will drop back and try to secure the 14 & U State Championship.

18handicap
07-08-2005, 11:19 AM
I've already started watching the younger kids a little bit while I was up there this week. I saw our 11-12's practicing at our field and I saw some good young talent and they were working very hard. I did get to see a little bit of the 13-14's game that night in Columbus, but when the lightning started hitting next to the field, we all scattered, so I didn't get to see much. I'm going to try to see them play on Saturday, but it depends if I can get away from here or not. I have plans to go out with a good friend, but maybe I can convince her to go to Columbus too. I'm going to also get to Beaumont to watch one day of the AFA nationals, so I can see some of my high school players play. I really do like to get out and watch my players play whenever I can get away from the house. It's a nice outlet from doing work around the house and I get to support my players and cheer them on!!