PDA

View Full Version : District 3-3A Preview

Matthew328
07-06-2005, 08:29 PM
2004 was a down year for 3-3A as all 3 playoff teams (Ft Stockton, Midland Greenwood and Seminole) went one and out in the postseason. In fact only one team in the district finished with a winning record as Fort Stockton finished at 6-5. This year this district appeas to be evenly matched once again as there are 4 teams who all could make a play for not only a playoff berth but a district title.

Matt's District Picks (Div 1 team in all caps)

1. SEMINOLE
2. Midland Greenwood
3. Monahans
4. Fort Stockton
5. Lamesa
6. Pecos

1. Seminole Indians
2004: 5-6 lost to Sweetwater 41-14 in Div 2 bi-district
Outlook: Seminole brings back more starters than any other team however only 9 returning letterman are back. WR Micah Clay is the top playmaker returning on offense with over 300 yards recieving and 3 TD's he was a first team all-district performer in 2004. RB/LB Drew Phillips is also a playmaker earning second team AD honors on both sides of the ball. Depth is a concern but SHS has enough talent back to make a strong run at the district title.

2. Midland Greenwood Rangers
2004: 5-6 lost to Snyder 19-7 in Div 2 bi-district
Outlook: Since their 15-1 season in 2002 the Rangers have struggled to get back to prominence on the statewide level. With 6 starters back on the defensive side of the ball Greenwood should be solid. Josh Gaskin, David Hill and Jeremey Patterson anchor the D. Keep an eye on soph. QB Colton Wilbur he could be a special player.

3. Monahans Loboes
2004: 4-6 missed the playoffs
Outlook: The Green and White missed out on the playoffs in 2004 which is rare for the tradition rich program. With 17 letterman back including 6 defensive starters optimisim is high however they'll have to adjust to a new coach. RB Sam Graves is the top weapon on offense as he earned first team AD honors in 2004. Graves is also a standout for the Monahans D. Offensive line is the big question mark heading into 2005.

4. Fort Stockton Panthers
2004: 6-5 lost to Abilene Wylie 31-7 in Div 1 bi-district
Outlook: The defending district champs hardly have a bare cupboard but only in the evenly matched 3-3A can a defending district champ that has back 3 offensive starters and 6 regulars on defense be considered a possible fourth place team. DE Cade Ezell leads the FSHS defense as he was a second team all-district selction DB JJ Hickman was a first teamer in the secondary. Hickman also led the team in rushing and recieving.

5. Lamesa Golden Tornadoes
2004: 2-8 missed the playoffs
Outlook: The once proud Lamesa program has fallen on hard times and things don't seem to be looking up for the Tors. LHS does return four starters on both sides of the ball but in a district with a lot of experience that doesn't help much. Lamesa does have a good one on the offensive line in Nick Martinez who got first team all-district honors.

6. Pecos Eagles
2004: 1-9 missed the playoffs
Outlook: Since making the drop to Class 3A in 2002 Pecos has struggled in a traditionally tough loop. Luis Ortega is a player to watch as he got close to 1000 yards as a sophomore. Those numbers got him second team all-district honors. The Pecos offense will be the most experienced in the district with 7 starters back. Defense is a question mark.

5 Players to Watch:

RB Sam Graves, Monahans
OL Nick Martinez, Lamesa
LB David Hill, Midland Greenwood
WR Micah Clay, Seminole
RB Luis Ortega, Pecos

Old Tiger
07-06-2005, 09:56 PM
looks good, keep'em comin

panther power
07-06-2005, 10:08 PM
Very good insite....

Hickman was a first team offense reciever and first team saftey. He was also on the all-west texas texas prep x-tra team, and the all-permian basin team. He finished in 5th at the state track meet in the 300 hurdles this past year. Was also all-district in basketball.

The kid is a gym rat, always working on his game. I observed him this past weekend and he was hitting the weight room hard. Good kid. I would add him to the players to watch list.

wildstangs
07-06-2005, 10:20 PM
Very interesting pics. I think its a toss up between Greenwood and Seminole again. I think Greenwood has the better athletes, but, Seminole has a year under their new coach. Is the game in Greenwood or Seminole?

The thing that sucks for this district is that they will have to play Wylie, Sweetwater, and Snyder in round one.

panther power
07-06-2005, 10:24 PM
I believe they play in Seminole this year....

GWOOD
07-06-2005, 10:27 PM
We do play in Seminole this year. Matthew is right. We expect defense to be good. We are hoping that coach Taylor can get the offense going.

panther power
07-06-2005, 10:43 PM
Who on the seminole team is expected to bring the title home for them? I watched them play last year in Stockton and it was 99% Jeremy Hill, and Clay caught 1 pass to seal the win. Other then that I can't imagaine a sleeper to take over the district....

donjuan
07-07-2005, 12:27 PM
Seminole and Fort Stockton lost their stud playmakers on offense that everything revolved around. Greenwood will be solid and Seminole will be solid. Monahans will win the district. New offense, defense, offseason program, and mostly new coaches have brought a new excitement to a program that had become stagnant and had lost its discipline and work ethic. You shall see once the season starts.

panther power
07-07-2005, 12:51 PM
Has anyone ever heard of Hickman? Jefferson has moved on to UTEP but he left behind hickman who was responsible for atleast 7 pics, and atleast 10 td's. He was on the recieving end of Jefferson's passes.

We still return All-district performers Ezell, and Contreras. Peacock is back from a broken leg. Do not sleep on us.

New Coach, New staff, new offense, new defense, new workout program.....

lobo12
07-07-2005, 07:04 PM
monahans lost its discipline and work ethic after one off year, wow you must not have been at the practices and off season workouts in past years. did anyone see seminoles jv play last year....wow extremely hard hitters and play great together, this prediction looks good to me and i dont think any of the teams in this district will pass the first round...in my opinion monahans is not as loaded as everyone seems to think they are

panther power
07-07-2005, 11:16 PM
Good Points lobo12, I also think it's funny how after 1 off year which was coming off a district championship the Loboes were so off track, it was one off year. J.V. is different from varsity. Playmakers on jv are not necessarily playmakers on friday nights.

donjuan
07-08-2005, 01:18 PM
Changes were needed in the program from the people I know who would know. I already stated this before in another thread. Some coaches only wanted to buddy up with the kids. Some did not have the work ethic or the ability to motivate kids. You could see this very plainly from the stands this year. Kids on the sideline goosing each other, laughing, not paying attention to the field. Not all of the kids, but quite a few of them. I've never seen a Lobo team act like that, regardless of what our record was. Were the seniors an immature group or was it a lack of discipline by the head coach and certain assistants? And why did half the team looked to be injured or taped up all of the time. You would look at the opponents and you would not see that. The trainer was soft and the kids knew they could go to him with a little bump or scratch and he would keep them out of workout or lifting. I know this because I had one of my friends sons who played on the team tell me this. When you have the worst defense in the district by far, then that goes back to the position coaches and the job they did with their kids. And we were picked to win the district. I know board members and high ranking people in the community and I know some of the coaches. What I speak to you is truth, not rumors.

WTF-82
07-08-2005, 03:07 PM
Quit hatting on the Loboes they will win district.

And they have been off for two years the year they won district title they were not that good they beat Greenwood in district and that is it everyone else was terrible in the district that year including Kermit. Monahans will be tough this year discipline is back in Monahans and so is work ethic I was at many practices the past two years and everyone is always joking only a couple of kids in weight room in the summer you will not see this during the Owens Era.

WTF-82
07-08-2005, 03:12 PM
To donjuan,
Totally agree with youre statement about past recently Monahans program but trust me it has already changed. Monahans has a history of kids getting in trouble in the summers hope that changes, Owens will not put up with it.

vet93
07-08-2005, 03:50 PM
Don Juan...while I do not dispute what you said about this being the "truth". I think that it would be better to characterize that it is the "truth" based on your "point of view". Many times the things we see and hear are slanted towards either our own agenda or the agenda of the one telling the story. This is not a slam...just an observation about human nature.

donjuan
07-08-2005, 08:13 PM
Owens has assembled an outstanding staff. I know a few of the players and their parents that will be Loboes this coming season and beyond, and the attitude about lifting weights and discipline changed once a couple of assistants were given the job to totally re-do the offseason program. It has been a huge success and with the addition of Owens and other new assistants who also believe in the weights and in discipline, the Loboes will quickly return to being a tough, disciplined football team. All reports right now from the kids and their parents that you hear around town and such are very positive. The old attitude and work ethic is back, which for years was the norm in this West Texas town.

lobo12
07-08-2005, 10:17 PM
you blame the coaches for the way kids act on the sideline...coaches are busy coaching kids should have enough respect and be mature enough to act right, the trainer is a great trainer, got a great job at a 5a school, look at the trainers monahans had before him, your going off of what one kid told you and what you saw in the stands...thats the main problem in monahans people in the stands think they know more than the people on the field...and about the defense...yeah worst defense in the district that year, years before that best defense in the area your still going off of one bad year....and the year we won district i think we were good, we had a great defense and great offense once district started...against snyder we were over confident and got our rear beat up and down the field and we deserved to lose that game...we had a great game plan and we just didnt execute any...you keep knocking the leaving coaches but all of them got upper level jobs so they must be doing something right...i have said before coach owens is the man i wanted to get the job and the guy i thought would get it over a year ago...all i am stating is my opinion i thought thats what this board was im not trying to offend anybody

lobo12
07-08-2005, 10:19 PM
one more question...how do you know the offseason was a success you dont know until the season, and i dont care what people say, i dont know about last years but the previous four years i know we worked our tails off in offseason

WTF-82
07-09-2005, 08:08 AM
As myself about the offseason program simply by talking to Coach Owens personally numerous times he is real happy about it have gone a couple of workouts the Coach really feels everyone is getting sronger faster more discipline no playing around business like attitude and people hitting it hard in the summer trying to get ready like Lobo players used to hit it in the past. Hanna himself said that last summer the weight room was empty 50% of the time with less than 15 kids men and women and this includes all classifications this coming from Hanna and his staff that had the duties of opening the weight room for the kids.

And remember that year that you said yall were good remember
Lamesa 7 Monahans 6 and please dont reply any excuses by this time in the season when yall played Lamesa the team should have been ready especially after the Seminole spanking to an average Seminole team I am telling you that year Greenwood was the only big win of the season. Listen I do love Lobo football
I think it is a great tradition in Football the program is respected by all of West Texas The program needed change and it got Owens is great and it will be fun to watch I agree they are not a
Sweetwater, Wylie or Snyder yet but Owens has always won games he was not suppose to.

WTF-82
07-09-2005, 08:21 AM
Lobo12
About the defense the district title year you are right they did have the best defense in the district I belive that is what seperated them from the rest of the district that year but remember were talking about Pecos, Ft. stockton,Kermit man
please these teams are good once every 15 years man Merkel and Greenwood were the only decent teams on the Schedule.

lobo12
07-09-2005, 07:37 PM
i understand what you are saying but it is more of the kids responsibility to get up there by being dedicated...and about the district title year, we beat lamesa up and down the field and they won on a freak play, even greenwoods coach said we should have won that game but what matters is who won on the scoreboard and they did, seminole just flat out kicked our butts, merkel was good that year and we could have beat them, alpine was a solid 2a and cooper was a decent 3a....kermit was good too and we had one of the best defenses in the area not just the district....anyway that season is over all im saying is that in my opinion they will not be as good as everyone thinks, owens is a great coach and ive stated that repeatedly, but remember monahans is not known for having undefeated seasons, they are known for winning games they arent supposed to so he should fit right in....you talk about the weakness of that years schedule...who do they have on the schedule this year that remotely has any talent

panther power
07-09-2005, 11:48 PM
I ran into some LOBO players tonight and they told me they were worried about the big heads most of the team has due to the town praising them and Owens even before he has stepped on the field for a fall practice. These kids, which were players, even said they were not sure if they were going to be as good as people think, this is from lobo players!

donjuan
07-10-2005, 12:26 PM
The huge gains that most athletes made in the offseason program that started after football season has caused a huge boost of confidence. I see a lot of these kids around town in the summer and the ones I talk to can't wait for 2-a-days to start.

panther power
07-10-2005, 02:10 PM
I wonder how much high school kids can improve in about 2 months of off-season workouts? you make it sound as if these kids are dropping 40 times by 2 seconds and adding 50 pounds to their max weight lifts. Tell me of one kid in the GREAT STATE OF TEXAS who can't wait untill 2 a days start.....

panther power
07-10-2005, 02:25 PM
District 3-3A Preview

By Christopher Lyke
Texas HS Football Chief Editor

If the 2004 season was any indication, the 3-3A race for the playoffs and district title is a wide open one. Seminole, Greenwood and Fort Stockton finished the 2004 season with identical 4-1 district marks. Monahans looks to be the odds on favorite that could see the most improvement with plenty of experience back on top of the addition of a new head coach.

Greenwood returns a steller defense which could be the biggest benefit if the running game is effective. Seminole could be the biggest kept secret in the district. The defense of the Indians could be realtively strong if they play to their potential. They already have one of the top players in the district in Micah Clay. Fort Stockton, could be in the race before its all said and done. But the Panthers will be challenged to replace its seniors of 2004.

Top Players in District 3-3A

Some rising stars in this district includes Chris Roberson, Stephen Richardson and Larry Jasso of Monahans, Justin Sebree of Midland Greenwood and Drew Phillips of Seminole. If there are key players in 3-3A that could be the difference between a playoff spot or fouth place, then Cade Ezell of Fort Stockton and Phillips of Seminole are just two of the most critical pieces to the puzzle.

Players To Watch in 3-3A
Pos
Name
Class
School
DE
Stephen Richardson
Sr.
Monahans Loboes
TB
Chris Roberson
Jr.
Monahans Loboes
RB
Sam Graves
Sr.
Monahans Loboes
LB
Larry Jasso
Sr.
Monahans Loboes
DB
Adrian Rios
Sr.
Monahans Loboes
OL
Joseph Birdwell
Sr.
Monahans Loboes
RB
Luis Ortega
Jr.
Pecos Eagles
DE
Cade Ezell
Sr.
Fort Stockton Panthers
WR
J.J. Hickman
Sr.
Fort Stockton Panthers
FB
Jarred Williams
Sr.
Midland Greenwood Rangers
DB
Justin Sebree
Sr.
LB
David Hill
Sr.
DL
Dean Smith
So.
OL
Nick Martinez
Sr.
Lamesa Golden Tornadoes
LB
Phillip Reyna
Sr.
Lamesa Golden Tornadoes
DB
Kevin Furlow
Sr.
Lamesa Golden Tornadoes
LB
Drew Phillips
Sr.
Seminole Indians
WR
Micah Clay
Sr.
Seminole Indians
DB
Blake Tittle
Sr.
Seminole Indians
DL
David Browne
Jr.
Seminole Indians
DL
Cody Lanier
Sr.
Seminole Indians

donjuan
07-10-2005, 04:24 PM
I know lots of kids in the program. Know the coaches who started it. They started around mid-November and went until school was out. Take out a couple of weeks for Christmas, a week for Spring break and the last week of school for finals. Probably about 5 months worth at least. Not sure where you get 2 months. And I have heard of (and seen for myself) significant gains in the main lifts and gains in the speed stuff. Hell, all of it is posted up there at the weight room.

lobo12
07-10-2005, 10:10 PM
adrian rios of monahans was a senior last year lol...all we can do is wait to see what happens but my prediction for district champion is seminole

Wtx_coach
07-10-2005, 11:27 PM
I HAVE READ ENOUGH OF THIS RIDICULOUS THREAD. IF THE LOBOS HAVE THE SAME FOOTBALL PLAYERS THEY HAD LAST YEAR, THEY ARENT GOING TO BE WORTH PENNIES. LOOK WTSFDGE-8OSOMETHING AND THE REST OF YOU MONAHANS FAITHFULS, YOU HAVE TO HAVE FOOTBALL PLAYERS TO BE A GOOD FOOTBALL TEAM NOT FAST 40 TIMERS AND 300 POUND BENCHERS. IM TIRED OF READING HOW COACH OWENS HAS CHANGED THINGS. PLEASE! GET NEW ATHLETES WHO CAN TACKLE AND BLOCK THEN COACH OWENS CAN DO SOME DAMAGE. IM TIRED OF READING HOW TEAMS ARE WEAK! HELLO THEY ARE 3A AND 2A SCHOOLS IN WEST TEXAS NOT 4A ANYMORE. YOU WILL NEVER SEE TEAMS LIKE YOU USE TO SO GET OVER IT. BY THE WAY THERE ARE DAMN GOOD TEAMS IN 33A. IF IT WASNT FOR THERE SISTER DISTRICT, ANY OF THE TOP 3 TEAMS GOOD MAKE A GOOD RUN IN THE PLAYOFFS. REMEMBER ALL 3 TEAMS LAST YEAR PLAYED THEIR FIRST ROUND OPPONENTS TOUGH. THOSE OTHER TEAMS JUST HAD BETTER ATHLETES SO QUIT HATING ON 3-3A TEAMS

Wtx_coach
07-11-2005, 07:30 PM
nm

lobo12
07-11-2005, 09:14 PM
nicely said wtx coach... 3-3a teams are said to be weak because they dont make it out of the first round yet that other district is the toughest in the state.....by the way panther power were you by any chance at the monahans golf course on sunday

Black_Magic
07-12-2005, 06:24 PM
Originally posted by Wtx_coach
I HAVE READ ENOUGH OF THIS RIDICULOUS THREAD. IF THE LOBOS HAVE THE SAME FOOTBALL PLAYERS THEY HAD LAST YEAR, THEY ARENT GOING TO BE WORTH PENNIES. LOOK WTSFDGE-8OSOMETHING AND THE REST OF YOU MONAHANS FAITHFULS, YOU HAVE TO HAVE FOOTBALL PLAYERS TO BE A GOOD FOOTBALL TEAM NOT FAST 40 TIMERS AND 300 POUND BENCHERS. IM TIRED OF READING HOW COACH OWENS HAS CHANGED THINGS. PLEASE! GET NEW ATHLETES WHO CAN TACKLE AND BLOCK THEN COACH OWENS CAN DO SOME DAMAGE. IM TIRED OF READING HOW TEAMS ARE WEAK! HELLO THEY ARE 3A AND 2A SCHOOLS IN WEST TEXAS NOT 4A ANYMORE. YOU WILL NEVER SEE TEAMS LIKE YOU USE TO SO GET OVER IT. BY THE WAY THERE ARE DAMN GOOD TEAMS IN 33A. IF IT WASNT FOR THERE SISTER DISTRICT, ANY OF THE TOP 3 TEAMS GOOD MAKE A GOOD RUN IN THE PLAYOFFS. REMEMBER ALL 3 TEAMS LAST YEAR PLAYED THEIR FIRST ROUND OPPONENTS TOUGH. THOSE OTHER TEAMS JUST HAD BETTER ATHLETES SO QUIT HATING ON 3-3A TEAMS Well acording to the regional track meet , the better athletes didnt do as good as some of the 3-3a athletes did. No doubt that 4-3a has good athletes buth there is the same breed of cat in the big country area as there are in the permian basin. Its clear that the big three have better coaching over all.

mustang04
07-12-2005, 06:31 PM
Originally posted by Black_Magic
Well acording to the regional track meet , the better athletes didnt do as good as some of the 3-3a athletes did. No doubt that 4-3a has good athletes buth there is the same breed of cat in the big country area as there are in the permian basin. Its clear that the big three have better coaching over all.

well said....coach jackson and his staff are an awesome group of coaches, although some have come and gone since i graduated in 04, Coach Sandifer is just, well he's just awesome, and i forget snyder's coaches name, but i know he is good too

Wtx_coach
07-12-2005, 09:23 PM
I wouldnt say better coaching there son, its probably just about equal, lets just face it, Sweetwaer, Wylie and Snyder have some damm good football players, beleive me last year roan, hanna, purser,could have done just as good with those 3 teams from yalls district!!

panther power
07-12-2005, 10:02 PM
Aah, WTx coach, where have you been old buddy? Very good points made! 3-3A has some damn good football players, just curious, who out of 4-3A went D-1 from this past years seniors?

Lobo12, no I wasn't there, I do try to play golf but I am no where to being good....lol

lobo12
07-12-2005, 10:08 PM
track and football are two different sports, that district is loaded with football players, true they have great coaches, but so did 3-3a

panther power
07-12-2005, 10:11 PM
Who in 4-3A went to the state track meet? Green from Sweetwater.....and...noy talking trash just trying to find out

lobo12
07-12-2005, 10:13 PM
i know sweetwaters 3 relays, and a kid from wylie in the 200

panther power
07-12-2005, 10:18 PM
Sounds alot like 3-3A....

As far as coaches, last year's 3-3A coaches included a state champion coach in Hanna, a state championship appearence coach in Purser, and former texas high school xtra coach of the year in Roan....not to mention 3 of the most respectable men in texas coaching.

panther power
07-12-2005, 10:22 PM
Roan also has made a state title appearence...let's all get along

panther power
07-12-2005, 10:24 PM
Did you know.....

Friday Night Lights famed coach Gary Gaines, who also coached at the University level and is now the A.D. for MOJO land landed his first coaching job in Fort Stockton right after he graduated from ASU.....

Wtx_coach
07-13-2005, 11:36 AM
that was interesting panther power, what was gaines coaching assignments when he was at fort stockton?

Ranger05
07-13-2005, 11:42 AM
Well acording to the regional track meet , the better athletes didnt do as good as some of the 3-3a athletes did. No doubt that 4-3a has good athletes buth there is the same breed of cat in the big country area as there are in the permian basin. Its clear that the big three have better coaching over all. I have to disagree with that i would have to say coach purser was one of the best coaches in west texas so u cant say that yall had better coaching. Yes yall were well coached but a lot of it did have to do with athletes and also injuries.

Black_Magic
07-13-2005, 04:33 PM
to answer one question, yes I know of 1 player to go to DI school. Dee Walker signed with SMU. others players went DII and Ju co. So your saying Snyder, Sweetwater and Wylie jsut have better athletes.... must have just happened in the last 2-3 years then becuase with the 3-3A coaches you mentioned and records, they sure got " out gunned BIG TIME the last two seasons by 4-3A...

Ranger05
07-13-2005, 05:02 PM
in previous 2 years that u are talking about if i do recall greenwood beat yall except for last year and last year we didnt have the athletes that we normally do.

Ranger05
07-13-2005, 05:05 PM
and also coach purser built the Greenwood football program. When he first came in we didnt have much so he pretty much built it from the ground up.

Black_Magic
07-13-2005, 06:59 PM
OK now let me get this straight... If im not mistaken, I believe I remember folks from Monahans , Midland Greenwood , and Ft Stockton all saying that it was time for these coaches to go. There were harsh critics on thsi board and others about the coaches your now saying were great coaches......:thinking: Now Im not taking any shots at Purser or Hana at all. But we all really know that it is not as simple as a few years of poor athletic talent that is responsible for the fall off... You didnt hear people on this board crying or raising the point that these coaches were victims of poor athletic talent back a few months ago when they were being put on the chopping block.:rolleyes: NOW it comes out that is wasnt a problem of coaching at all but athletes.... Look. Ft Stockton, Seminole , Midland Greenwood, and Monahans all have new coaches. Is it all because there are no more athletes in the permian basin compared to I-20 between Snyder and Abilene???? I doubt it. Sweetwater has a good tradition of football with a good coach, Wylie has a proven program with a winning staff that has it togeather. Snyder is the Up and comming program in the west with staff that has taken the program to the next level. Athletes alone???? Please:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :hand: I dont under stand why 3-3A cleaned house in coaching staffs if it was because of poor athletes in all these towns..

lobo12
07-13-2005, 10:21 PM
ive already stated my opinion on coach hanna, he was and still is a great coachand yes he was let go mainly because of this year, i dont care what kind of athletes you have, it takes a great coach to win a state championship, or even get there...and during pursers run in 02 they beat dangerfield...i know greenwood was loaded with talent that year but they did not have as good of athletes as dangerfield, they had more heart and i believe better coaching...i dont know enough about roan to comment on him but you look at the field the past couple of years and tell me that 4 3a didnt just have better athletes....if snyders coach is so great then why didnt they blow greenwood out in the playoffs, snyder had much more talent i believe and greenwood played with them the whole game and could have won....the 3-3a coaches have earned their status as great coaches

panther power
07-13-2005, 10:31 PM
True Lobo12, greenwood played them tough, at halftime od the stockton wylie game it was 14-7 I believe, and Coach, i mean Black Magic of course you wouldn't make bad comments on fellow coaches, good job securit tip. Both districts have great coaches past and present. As far as Roan, he resigned to take a job closer to home and closer to his grandchildren. He wasn't run ouf of town, in 5 years he made 2 playoff appearences, won a district championship, and was a coach of the year, not bad credentials..

Gaines was an offensive backs coach if I remember correctly

lobo12
07-13-2005, 10:35 PM
dont get me wrong 4-3a has great coaches otherwise they wouldnt be so good...like i said no matter how much talent, you have to have a good coach to do good which all three schools did this past year...sandifer jackson and snyders coach are all great coaches as well i just believe the talent pool is full in that district

panther power
07-13-2005, 10:38 PM
4-3a will do great this season..... and I am predicting they will meet up with 3-3A in the playoffs.....where anything is possible, look at what wylie did this past year....

Division 1 football signees---

4-3A- 1
3-3A- 1

Ranger05
07-14-2005, 12:20 AM
I'm not takin shots at any programs across west texas like it might seem that is not the case i will tip my hat to 4-3a they did a heck of a job last year. Snyder had a great season and was 1 win away from going to state. But coach purser wasnt run out of town he decided to step down the past few years coach purser had been looking for other coaching jobs, but i think he decided just to retire. Yes some ppl didnt like purser and wanted him out but I think coach purser was the best thing to ever happen to this community.

Wtx_coach
07-14-2005, 12:53 AM
I would agree Ranger05, it took Purser a long time to turn that program around in Greenwood, he was a hell of a coach, the town will really miss a good coach after he leaves, every town thinks a new coach is going to be fine and dandy and the winning is about o begin since hes new, and they wont realize what good of a coach they had till hes gone!!

Wtx_coach
07-14-2005, 12:58 AM
oh yea BLACKMAGIC- Roan and Purser were not ran out the towns, Hanna was the only coach that got ran out, and next time you talkt o someone from Monahans ask them"Who is the only coach to to win Region 1 title since 1948"amazes me how a coach can have ONE BAD SEASON and everyone tumble down on the man thats been nothing but good to the community!!!

I wander how long they will give Owens after one BAD SEASON!!

oh well
07-14-2005, 07:30 AM
3-3A coaches do a great job as do the others. The people that were bashing some coaches are not the ones involved in this topic. What happened to Hanna was just not right. Not 2 years ago he was in the third round and Greenwood was playing for it all in DBL overtime. As bad as it pains me I have to agree with BM the talent in 3-3A is as good as 4-4A.

GWOOD
07-14-2005, 09:38 AM
OK now let me get this straight... If im not mistaken, I believe I remember folks from Monahans , Midland Greenwood , and Ft Stockton all saying that it was time for these coaches to go. There were harsh critics on thsi board and others about the coaches your now saying were great coaches

I can't speak for Monahans & Ft. Stockton, but I only remember one poster from Greenwood who made negative comments about Purser.

Black_Magic
07-14-2005, 10:45 AM
I will offer up some proof as to why I believe some of you are wrong. First Lets just accept the fact that all the 3-3A coaches are new within the last 2 years. I dont believe the consensus of the reasons they left was that they had no athletes.. I remember critisizm on here and other boards of some of these coaches. I believe it was unfair but remember it going on.
Second I will blow the argument that Snyder has better athletes than Greenwood, and Monahans out of the water with this. Last years graduating class of Tigers was the same group of kids who as Froshmen were beaten by 3 touchdowns by Greenwood Froshmen, over 3 touchdowns by Monahans Frosh, and by 4 touchdowns by Andrews Froshmen class. This same group of Snyder Froshmen Beat all three ( Greenwood, Andrews and easily would have taken Monahans ) of these same teams 3 years later , even Dominated Andrews and also beat one of the two 3a state champs as Seinors. Snyders same group of kids who won Region I DII last year only won one game as 8th graders and 7th graders and scored only 1 TD in the two years in Jr high!!. I think that an argument that it is not just athletes in snyder or Sweetwater.
Snyder Didnt blow out greenwood last year in the playoffs. BUT remember there were 3 TDs called back. Also I beleive I remember reading an artical on Coach Rogers about how he regarded Purser as a mentor and that he respected no other coach more. May be a reason for not blowing the game open or not only coach rogers knows that. In any event I believe if people know the facts about last years Seinor Tiger class prior to the Semifinal apearence they will know that this class was not laden with awsome athletes as some have said. You want to look at good Athletes in the permian basin just go to Monahans... they have some of the best in the state! dont know why they have not done more before now though.
Snyder didnt

panther power
07-14-2005, 11:00 AM
a few words-----

A MOVE IN NAMED DEE WALKER HAD ALOT TO DO WITH THAT RUN, IT WAS A GREAT RUN DON'T GET ME WRONG, BUT HE HAD A HUGE PART TO DO WITH IT. WITHOUT HIM i WOULDN'T OF SEEN SNYDER TYRING FOR THE DISTRICT CROWN.

TO BE A COACH IN TEXAS YOU HAVE TO BE GOOD......RESPECT THOSE WHO MENTOR OUR YOUTH TO BE THE BEST "THEY" CAN BE.....

Black_Magic
07-14-2005, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by panther power
a few words-----

A MOVE IN NAMED DEE WALKER HAD ALOT TO DO WITH THAT RUN, IT WAS A GREAT RUN DON'T GET ME WRONG, BUT HE HAD A HUGE PART TO DO WITH IT. WITHOUT HIM i WOULDN'T OF SEEN SNYDER TYRING FOR THE DISTRICT CROWN.

TO BE A COACH IN TEXAS YOU HAVE TO BE GOOD......RESPECT THOSE WHO MENTOR OUR YOUTH TO BE THE BEST "THEY" CAN BE..... This statement proves how little you know. Dee was great no doubt about it. there was a couple of others who would have gotten the rock and would have been 1000+ yard rushers. You think ONE guy can take a group of kids who won ONE game as 7th and 8th graders ( remember they scored ONE TD in Jr high) and take them to the STATE SEMI FINALS?????:hand: :hand: :hand: Your reaching. like you did for an explanation as to why Stockton ducked Snyder when offered to renew the play between the schools after the last realighnment... LOL.:D

panther power
07-14-2005, 11:19 AM
that sounds like one of your pathetic posts, you have to be a very very bad team not to have a 1000+ yard rusher on varsity. You run your mouth like you were on the field, well I mean as a player not as a coach....lol

panther power
07-14-2005, 11:29 AM
By Troy Schokley-www.fridaynight.com

When Snyder next takes the field, it will do so minus Dee Walker - who pretty much was the Tigers' offense last season. Without the Arizona transfer in the backfield, Snyder probably doesn't even make the playoffs last season let alone the Division II semifinals. And when the ball wasn't handed to Walker, it was often thrown to the speedy Lico Castillo, who also graduated - along with much of the 2004 offense.

That said, Matt Reigh will be back under center and the Tigers will have nine defensive starters back in black, so the outlook is good. No. 3 good? That's another question.

Ranger05
07-14-2005, 12:32 PM
I will offer up some proof as to why I believe some of you are wrong. First Lets just accept the fact that all the 3-3A coaches are new within the last 2 years. I dont believe the consensus of the reasons they left was that they had no athletes.. I remember critisizm on here and other boards of some of these coaches. I believe it was unfair but remember it going on.
Second I will blow the argument that Snyder has better athletes than Greenwood, and Monahans out of the water with this. Last years graduating class of Tigers was the same group of kids who as Froshmen were beaten by 3 touchdowns by Greenwood Froshmen, over 3 touchdowns by Monahans Frosh, and by 4 touchdowns by Andrews Froshmen class. This same group of Snyder Froshmen Beat all three ( Greenwood, Andrews and easily would have taken Monahans ) of these same teams 3 years later , even Dominated Andrews and also beat one of the two 3a state champs as Seinors. Snyders same group of kids who won Region I DII last year only won one game as 8th graders and 7th graders and scored only 1 TD in the two years in Jr high!!. I think that an argument that it is not just athletes in snyder or Sweetwater.
Snyder Didnt blow out greenwood last year in the playoffs. BUT remember there were 3 TDs called back. Also I beleive I remember reading an artical on Coach Rogers about how he regarded Purser as a mentor and that he respected no other coach more. May be a reason for not blowing the game open or not only coach rogers knows that. In any event I believe if people know the facts about last years Seinor Tiger class prior to the Semifinal apearence they will know that this class was not laden with awsome athletes as some have said. You want to look at good Athletes in the permian basin just go to Monahans... they have some of the best in the state! dont know why they have not done more before now though.
Snyder didnt And if u knew the facts of lasts years greenwood class were did have the athletes but a lot happened that freshman year u speak of was actually sophmore year and it was 4 touchdowns. And if all of our team would have stayed together we would have been a lot better our offensive line our sophmore year averaged probably close to 250lbs and every one of us was agile and could blow the opposing defensive line out and we could put the smallest guy back in the back field and he would average at least 7 yards a carry. Injuries got my class we lost 2 offensive linemen in the first week of 2 a days to season ending injuries both were projected to start. I was one of them at 6'3 230LBS and the other guy was 6'1 215lbs and he was a center. so then we were forced to bring up freshmen to fill in holes. Then we really took a hit when we lost our Starting QB and he missed most of the season and we didnt have much depth at QB last year so we started a freshman which was Dawson Wilber's younger brother. Over the years we lost a lot of our players some of them to injuries and some of them simply because they didnt have the desire to play anymore and one of the guys that comes to mind was 6'3 315 lbs and ran a 5.6 (we lost him due to a injury and he decided not to comeback out after it) if i recall everyteam we faced had problems blocking him it wasnt uncommon to see triple teams on him. That wasnt everything that happened to my class but u have a brief outline of what happened we had lost a lot of players. So that same Greenwood team u speak of wasnt really the same greenwood team.

Wtx_coach
07-14-2005, 02:27 PM
Well Ranger05 and BlackMagic, thats why lots of coaches dont read into the junior high records and stuff like that, in the junior high years you want the kids to be learning the right techniques that you preach, as freshmen you want them progressing and learning more of the offense that you have in the upper level. As far as a good season goes, there tons of things that matter, intangibles have to be right, kids have to pass in school, need to stay healthy as a team, and the ball has to bounce the right way for you in the big games!!! Your season can go good or bad quickly if everything aint working for you, thats why you see teams that were good when they were younger fail when they get to the varsity!!!,

pero chato
07-14-2005, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by Wtx_coach
Well Ranger05 and BlackMagic, thats why lots of coaches dont read into the junior high records and stuff like that, in the junior high years you want the kids to be learning the right techniques that you preach, as freshmen you want them progressing and learning more of the offense that you have in the upper level. As far as a good season goes, there tons of things that matter, intangibles have to be right, kids have to pass in school, need to stay healthy as a team, and the ball has to bounce the right way for you in the big games!!! Your season can go good or bad quickly if everything aint working for you, thats why you see teams that were good when they were younger fail when they get to the varsity!!!,

Coach I think you said it best.. "intangibles have to be right". Team chemistry is one of them. For instance in Snyder's case, I believe Walker was not only a great athete, but from what I've read and seen, he was a good leader and motivator, and a good catalyst for the whole team. True, he wasn't all Snyder had, as some have suggested, but he played a major role in their success.
As far as comparing a jr. high group being successful to when they get to varsity, well just the physical changes alone are enough to show that you're basically looking at a completely different set of kids over a four year span. Our JV team two years ago really stunk up the place, but somehow last year a lot of the same group won state. I guess that's what makes high school football so exciting. Every year is a new world. lol

Black_Magic
07-14-2005, 05:37 PM
I believe anyway you want to slice it , you have to be hiding from reality if you want to now say that it is lack of athletes that is to blame for 3-3As lack of a playoff contender in the last few years. My point was that not 5 months ago you hear people talking about the changes that needed to be mad in the staffs of the district. Now we are hearing you say that its not coaching problems but lack of athletes.. sounds like Hana , Purser, Roan , and Army were doing fine jobs.
Lets remember Snyder went 3 rounds deep in the playoffs before Dee Walker ever saw Snyder. Im sure people like Panther Power will come up with some other lame EXCUSE as to our success. By the way I remember home grown Malcome Wells going down to stockton and making panthers look like they never went through takling drills before 2 years ago when he raked up over 200+ yards. Malcoms little brother ( not little anymore ) may be able to fill the shoes. I guess you will have to be convinced yet another time by antoher set of backs:rolleyes: . In any event it is a shame Stockon didnt want to play Snyder anymore two years ago. But I understand why:D

lobo12
07-14-2005, 09:42 PM
i believe varsity is alot different than freshman, kids grow and catch up and its just different to me...one year makes a difference, from my 8th to freshman year we went from 2-8 to 8-2 and could have easily been undefeated...and yes, hanna was the only one run out and that was wrong he was a great coach that did nothing but good for the monahans program and deserves much respect...glad to hear there are other people on here that agree with me about hanna

and by the way stockton wasnt the only team wells did that too, that kid had some moves and could run...and i know we werent the only two teams either

panther power
07-14-2005, 09:53 PM
black Magic, trust me there is not a soul in stockton that is scared of any one in snyder.....trust me.

It is sad to see a person that gauges there whole being whether his HIGH SCHOOL team wins or not. I bet that is a sad, sad, lonley life to live. Snyder is not the cream of the crop, not a perrennial power though latley they have had some good teams. Most people on these boards are on here to share stats and info. on sports that we love, you on the other hand don't seem to have anything better to do then try and make me feel like I didn't want to play Snyder anymore???? I have nothing to do with it so quit trying to make yourself feel better by thinking you got the upper hand, I really don't care who is on the scheduele.....

Ranger05
07-15-2005, 12:26 AM
Originally posted by panther power
black Magic, trust me there is not a soul in stockton that is scared of any one in snyder.....trust me.

It is sad to see a person that gauges there whole being whether his HIGH SCHOOL team wins or not. I bet that is a sad, sad, lonley life to live. Snyder is not the cream of the crop, not a perrennial power though latley they have had some good teams. Most people on these boards are on here to share stats and info. on sports that we love, you on the other hand don't seem to have anything better to do then try and make me feel like I didn't want to play Snyder anymore???? I have nothing to do with it so quit trying to make yourself feel better by thinking you got the upper hand, I really don't care who is on the scheduele..... Well said panther power

Black_Magic
07-15-2005, 08:37 AM
LOL ... ok panther power. maybe Snyder will some day reach the pinical that Stockton is at.:rolleyes: As for athletes. Look I gave you facts that show Snyders Seinors last year were not the Great athletes you want to pretend. If that were true they would have been at least good athletes as 7th and 8th graders. Remember. this bunch of kids scored ONE TD in TWO years...; Now there was some potential there but nobody who just blew your mind or stood out as a stud... Four years Later they go one game short of the Big show and Beat one of the two 3A state champs... Explain it away any way you want. Raw athletic talent is NOT what got them there.. Hard work under a program they believed in and good leadership got them there. They out worked the rest of the people from the guys to the staff.. Ranger 05, not much longer until you get a dose of the Tigers again in your own back yard. I expect it to be a good game. I only hope afterward there are no excuses or complaints about mouthing or cheap shots... I guess the main point I want to make is that you folks are WAY off if you think Snyder was laden with awsome athletes last year...Wrong. Snyder was loaded with kids who would do ANYTIHING for the coaches and worked harder than any group of kids that have ever come through SHS...
The other point is that I was just pointing out the thing that is clear. If all the towns were so happy with the staffs in 3-3A then why did you have new staffs in Greenwood, Monahans , Ft Stockton , Lamesa , Pecos , and Seminole within the last 2 years????? Great coaches tend to be kept. not encouraged to go. As for the Snyder Tigers I believe even another trip Deep into the playoffs will not convince panther power or ranger05 that Snyder is one of the 2-3 hot up and comming programs in 3A in region 1 if not the #1 up and comming program in the region.

Ranger Mom
07-15-2005, 08:46 AM
WOW!! 5 whole pages and I think I MAY have one post on here.

My feelings, (and my feelings alone) are this. I like Coach Purser, but I also thought it was time for him to go....IMO, his heart wasn't in it anymore and I didn't feel like he had the respect he deserved from some of the other coaches he had on staff. I also feel that way knowing that Purser put in for other coaching jobs 3 years in a row...it seems to me he also wanted to leave.

As far as retiring or being "ran out of town", I feel it was a little bit of both. I have heard several different stories, one of which was told to me by a Fort Stockton coach, who talked to Purser at length during the season.

2002 was a great year for us, the boys played together well and had great leadership and respect for each other. IMO, the 2003 team (which was LOADED with talent) lacked the leadership of the year before and too much annimosity between key players.The 2004 team was hard hit with injuries, but I have to give my props to the several freshman who stepped up!

Anyway, that is the conclusion that I have come to, seeing and hearing all that I have. Everyone seems to really like Coach Taylor and he seems like a really great guy to me.....is he the man for the job? Only time will tell, but he got two thumbs up from me when he had his "coaches" meeting and told all the coaches he allowed absolutely NO cussing on his field, if they had a problem with that then they were free to go find a job elsewhere.

All that being said....

GO RANGERS!!!!

donjuan
07-15-2005, 08:07 PM
You are right Black Magic. Your statement about great coaches tend to be kept while others are encouraged to go is very true. Usually only administrators, coaches, and people close to the program really know the real reasons for mass changes. Working in the private sector is very competitive also. Administrators and board members want to see excellence with the people that they hire. They want to have the most qualified people to fill these positions, because it is our kids who are at stake. Not saying that all decisions that boards make are right or wrong, but many times people are not encouraged to leave for no reason at all. In the many communities where there were many coaches leaving, including head coaches, if you are that interested in knowing why, go to the superintendents and board members. Not saying you will get the straight scoop, but you might.

lobo12
07-15-2005, 10:43 PM
my opinion on what you say great coaches being let go is that people in the stands think they know more than the people do on the field

lobo12
07-15-2005, 10:44 PM
and black magic i saw snyder play last year and in my opinion they did have tons of raw talent last year

mustang04
07-16-2005, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by lobo12
and black magic i saw snyder play last year and in my opinion they did have tons of raw talent last year
DONT SAY THAT!!!! thats what he was wanting to hear the whole time

its like when u call a girl pretty and she's like "no im not" and u argue w/ her about it.....its cuz she likes to hear someone say she's pretty

but.......blackmagic always seemed like a 'girly-man' muahahaha:devil:

lobo12
07-16-2005, 06:43 PM
are you trying to tell me that you didnt think they did lol

Ranger05
07-17-2005, 01:11 AM
LOL ... ok panther power. maybe Snyder will some day reach the pinical that Stockton is at.:rolleyes: As for athletes. Look I gave you facts that show Snyders Seinors last year were not the Great athletes you want to pretend. If that were true they would have been at least good athletes as 7th and 8th graders. Remember. this bunch of kids scored ONE TD in TWO years...; Now there was some potential there but nobody who just blew your mind or stood out as a stud... Four years Later they go one game short of the Big show and Beat one of the two 3A state champs... Explain it away any way you want. Raw athletic talent is NOT what got them there.. Hard work under a program they believed in and good leadership got them there. They out worked the rest of the people from the guys to the staff.. Ranger 05, not much longer until you get a dose of the Tigers again in your own back yard. I expect it to be a good game. I only hope afterward there are no excuses or complaints about mouthing or cheap shots... I guess the main point I want to make is that you folks are WAY off if you think Snyder was laden with awsome athletes last year...Wrong. Snyder was loaded with kids who would do ANYTIHING for the coaches and worked harder than any group of kids that have ever come through SHS...
The other point is that I was just pointing out the thing that is clear. If all the towns were so happy with the staffs in 3-3A then why did you have new staffs in Greenwood, Monahans , Ft Stockton , Lamesa , Pecos , and Seminole within the last 2 years????? Great coaches tend to be kept. not encouraged to go. As for the Snyder Tigers I believe even another trip Deep into the playoffs will not convince panther power or ranger05 that Snyder is one of the 2-3 hot up and comming programs in 3A in region 1 if not the #1 up and comming program in the region. I got nothin against snyder i said yall had talent last year and i was just defending my old football coach he was one of the best coaches in the state IMO. Yall had a great year last year all i am doing is sayin coach purser is not a horrible coach like it seems u are makin him out to be. I do not see y u drag me into this sayin that i do not believe that snyder has a good program because i do think yall have a good program and i wanted yall to win state last year because u were representing west texas.

Ranger05
07-17-2005, 01:13 AM
And im gonna put my opinion out about coach taylor and our admin. I dont see why they hired coach taylor he hasnt beat Greenwood in the 4 years that we played them while he was at Ozona. Coach Liles was the man for the job. But good luck to coach taylor in the upcoming season.

Ranger Mom
07-17-2005, 09:17 AM
Originally posted by Ranger05
And im gonna put my opinion out about coach taylor and our admin. I dont see why they hired coach taylor he hasnt beat Greenwood in the 4 years that we played them while he was at Ozona. Coach Liles was the man for the job. But good luck to coach taylor in the upcoming season.

I agree Lance, I wanted Coach Liles also...but the "powers that be" didn't ask for my opinion!:p

Last season, Coach Taylor wasn't even coaching Ozona...he was the Principal. So you have to think about the previous 3 years before last season and think about what athletes we had on the team at that time. Plus, we only "play" Ozona in a controlled scrimmage anyway, IMO, that's not a very accurate gauge!

I will miss Coach Purser, but I honestly don't think he was happy at Greenwood anymore, and I don't think an unhappy coach can coach to the best of his abilities.

I am willing to give Coach Taylor a chance. I have talked to lots of players that seem to respond well to his leadership and seem to be really excited with the upcoming season.