PDA

View Full Version : Camping Question...

Ray_BearKat
07-06-2005, 07:37 PM
I just wanted some of yalls opinions...me and some friends want to go camping in a couple weeks and I've been looking for some campsites that we could go too. We're looking to do some swimming while we're there so I was looking at the Frio and the Guadalupe which is better? or is there a better suggestion?

I was also looking at Balmorhea SP out in west Texas just because it looks cool in the TP&W website. Has anyone been there or have an opinion on it?

Old Green
07-06-2005, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by Ray_BearKat
I just wanted some of yalls opinions...me and some friends want to go camping in a couple weeks and I've been looking for some campsites that we could go too. We're looking to do some swimming while we're there so I was looking at the Frio and the Guadalupe which is better? or is there a better suggestion?

I was also looking at Balmorhea SP out in west Texas just because it looks cool in the TP&W website. Has anyone been there or have an opinion on it? A couple in my motorcycle club from La Feria has recently bought a camp ground up at Camp Wood up on the Frio. I can't remember the exact camp name though.

Gobbla2001
07-06-2005, 07:57 PM
Both rivers are fun to go to, nice atmospheres... flip coins man...

But I will say you could prolly find more campsites on the Frio...

sealy#23
07-06-2005, 08:42 PM
The Frio in my Opinion is way more fun than the other. The water is just some much clearer...But my family goes every year and i've only been to the other once w/ a very bad experience so that could waive my opinion but i'd go with the frio

BHBrave08
07-06-2005, 08:43 PM
Bad experience?? What happened??

CRHSeagle
07-06-2005, 09:00 PM
Yeah me and a couple of friends are going camping this weekend too. We were gonna go to the Guadalupe but instead we're gonna go to Turner Falls in Davis, Oklahoma. Its located in the Arbuckle Mts.Its not too far from the border of Texas either, so thats a plus. It has swimming and depending on the time of the year you can fish too.

sinton66
07-06-2005, 09:08 PM
The State Partk at Balmorreah is nice, but there isn't much else out there. Concan is nice. The Frio is a bit better I think.

BHBrave08
07-06-2005, 09:10 PM
I'm going to garner state park next week.

mwynn05
07-06-2005, 09:11 PM

I was also looking at Balmorhea SP out in west Texas just because it looks cool in the TP&W website. Has anyone been there or have an opinion on it? This thread made me think of a joke I have heard..No I wont post it in here

BHBrave08
07-06-2005, 09:13 PM
you have to now cause now i have to know.

j_dog
07-06-2005, 09:50 PM
Originally posted by BHBrave08
I'm going to garner state park next week.
Garner State Park is very nice, or at least it was several years ago when I was there. Ditto for Concan.

We're Back
07-06-2005, 10:56 PM
Concan is very nice, i am going there at the end of this month

Diocletian
07-06-2005, 11:56 PM
Originally posted by sinton66
The Frio is a bit better I think.

Where is this at?

big daddy russ
07-07-2005, 12:11 AM
Depends on what you want. If you want to meet people, the Guadalupe and Frio are where it's at. Frio's more HS-age kids while Guadalupe is more college-age kids. Frio's prettier by a landslide, though.

If you want to rough it and want one wild ride, check out the Devil's River up in SW Texas. I think there's only one campsite on the whole river but it's a blast. We went hiking and got lost for like two days and just enjoyed ourselves. We loved it... but that's more our thing. Beautiful, beautiful river.

ej2525
07-07-2005, 08:37 AM

I was also looking at Balmorhea SP out in west Texas just because it looks cool in the TP&W website. Has anyone been there or have an opinion on it?

No question for me is go to the Frio!!!! Garner St. Park is nice (very pretty but lots of people). My wife & I before our little one was born went every year (3 in a row) went to Hill Country St. Park outside of Bandera. It's very remote (primative camping) and lots of wildlife to see & hear. We got surrounded by coyotes one night because we had our dogs with us. Bring mountain bikes to trail ride if you have them. I really like that place just due to it's remote location. (my 2 cents worth) Have fun!!

Ranger Mom
07-07-2005, 08:43 AM
When we go, we always stay in Camp Wood at Cooksey's Park (http://www.campwood.com/CookseyPark/) ...then drive to the Frio for a day.

Garner State Park is too crowded for me!

ej2525
07-07-2005, 08:47 AM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom

Garner State Park is too crowded for me!

Ditto!!

rhs78
07-07-2005, 08:47 AM
I was camping on the Frio two weeks ago and it was very nice. the only bad part was that by weeks end the water level was getting very low and was hard to tube without getting out and walking every once in a while. and they have not had any rain in a while!!!!

sinton66
07-07-2005, 09:37 PM
Originally posted by Diocletian
Where is this at?

The Frio River is at Concan and Garner State Park, west of Uvalde.