PDA

View Full Version : Kenny Rogers Apologizes

Keith7
07-06-2005, 04:30 PM
ARLINGTON -- Rangers pitcher Kenny Rogers apologized Wednesday for his altercation with two television cameramen last week. But the lefty ace said he has not yet decided if he will participate in next Tuesday's All-Star Game.

Rogers, who is appealing a 20-game suspension, read a two-page, hand-written statement in front of local media, his first interaction with reporters since the altercation on June 29. He was visibly emotional and paused several times while reading.

"I have been around this game for over 20 years and I prepare myself everyday to control my emotions and act accordingly," Rogers said. "In this instance, I failed miserably."

Last week before a game against the Angels, Rogers first shoved Fox Sports Net Southwest's David Mammel, who was shooting video of the pitcher on his way to a pregame stretch, and told him, "I told you to get those cameras out of my face." The pitcher then approached Larry Rodriguez of Channel 4 KDFW and took the camera from Rodriguez before throwing it to the ground and kicking it.

Rodriguez was taken out of the stadium on a stretcher and taken to a hospital. The Arlington Police Department is investigating the incident.

Commissioner Bud Selig issued Rogers a 20-day suspension and an undisclosed fine -- reported to be $50,000. Rogers remains eligible to play in the All-Star Game.

"I have 17 years in the Major Leagues, with all my experience, regardless of the circumstances, I should have acted professionally and I regret that that was not the case," Rogers said. "I am deeply disappointed and embarrassed with myself for my inability to rise above the situation no matter how it became."

Rogers, who said he was issuing the statement against the advice of his legal counsel, vowed that such an incident would never be repeated.

"This incident was completely out of character and I think without question, you know it will never happen again," Rogers said. "I have already personally apologized to my teammates and I hope in the future that there will be a chance for me to personally do that to Larry and David."

Rogers declined to answer questions about the incident but when asked, he said he had not made up his mind regarding the Midsummer Classic.

"I have made no decision on anything else," Rogers said. "This is the issue that I wanted to address and nothing else. I don't want to confuse anything."

Rogers has pitched since the incident and will likely do so again. He threw 7 2/3 innings in a 2-1 loss to the Mariners on Sunday and was named to the American League All-Star team pitching staff later in the day, as a result of voting by Major League players, coaches and managers.

He is on track to start Saturday for the Rangers against the Blue Jays. His suspension, which will come after the All-Star Game, could be part of the reason the club is considering starting him immediately after the All-Star break in the opener of a four-game series at Oakland on July 14.

Rogers, who is a free agent after the season, has declined speaking with the press since there was a published report during Spring Training alleging he threatened to retire if he wasn't given a contract extension.

But Rogers has faced increased media scrutiny since he fractured the fifth metacarpal bone in his right hand on June 17, when he hit a dugout water cooler after being pulled from a game against the Washington Nationals. Rogers had allowed just one run in 6 1/3 innings and earned the win. The 40-year-old made his next scheduled start against the Angels, but lasted only 3 1/3 innings and allowed six earned runs to take the loss. He missed a scheduled start.

Jesse Sanchez is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

kaorder1999
07-06-2005, 04:43 PM
i hope the camera man sues...these athletes are all about money....he should be too

scrub c
07-06-2005, 06:10 PM
kenny rogers is a stud!

that was 17 years of pent up anger taken out on those 2 media STICKS.

My only gripe is KR let those media PUNKS get to him. Im sure you all saw (the one who got carried out on a stretcher) look back over his shoulder at the other media sticks and give a smart-a$$ wink before he decides he his "hurt" enough to get medical attention.
Is that stick gonna sue??? What do you think??? He got carried off on a stretcher!!!

It was and is known (ESPECIALLY by the DFW media) that K.R. doesn't want to be interviewed by the media.

so in conclusion, get the cameras out of his face.

Bandera YaYa
07-06-2005, 07:16 PM
so how do you know what that so called wink meant...maybe it was to let that person know he was gonna be ok.....geezzzzzzzzzzz......i say the apology is too late too little......KICK HIM OUTTA HERE!!!! :mad:

slpybear the bullfan
07-06-2005, 07:29 PM
I am glad to hear it. It was also reported today that he handwrote it on paper and read it.

My .02?

1.) Kenny is not the devil... or Hitler... or Osama. He blew his stack and pulled a camera off of a guys shoulder twice. It was a huge mistake... but it has been blown waaaaaay out of proportion. To hear people talk he is satan incarnate... get over it people.

2.) Kenny is going to pay a bunch for this one. He was lined up to have one more really big contract. Good luck with that now.

3.) I have very little sympathy for the camerman. On Fox4 he has been on many, many times talking about the incident. He is playing this for all it is worth... cane in hand, talking about his old back injuries that have been reaggravted... How about finding a different job that doesn't require a 47 pound camera on your shoulder if your back was in such bad shape? Please... your 15 minutes is up.

rockdale80
07-06-2005, 07:53 PM
Originally posted by slpybear the bullfan
I am glad to hear it. It was also reported today that he handwrote it on paper and read it.

My .02?

1.) Kenny is not the devil... or Hitler... or Osama. He blew his stack and pulled a camera off of a guys shoulder twice. It was a huge mistake... but it has been blown waaaaaay out of proportion. To hear people talk he is satan incarnate... get over it people.

2.) Kenny is going to pay a bunch for this one. He was lined up to have one more really big contract. Good luck with that now.

3.) I have very little sympathy for the camerman. On Fox4 he has been on many, many times talking about the incident. He is playing this for all it is worth... cane in hand, talking about his old back injuries that have been reaggravted... How about finding a different job that doesn't require a 47 pound camera on your shoulder if your back was in such bad shape? Please... your 15 minutes is up.

Thank you saying it for me. Who wants a camera in their face anyway? They make it sound like Rogers beat the mess out of the guy....

kaorder1999
07-06-2005, 10:21 PM
rogers walked out of the dugout and went straight for the camera man. He was way out of line. If he does this on the street then he is arrested for assault. But since he does it in a baseball stadium then he gets a suspension.

Professional athletes have it in their contract that they MUST cooperate with the media. If the camera man wants to stick his camera in Rogers face all night then he has the right to do it. No if ands or buts.

I hope the camera man goes on every tv station available and tells his story. Rogers embrarassed him and now he has the right to do whatever within the law to Rogers. I applaud him.

These athletes need to realize that they do not have the right to do whatever they want. I covered the rangers for a couple of seasons and sat in the press box at many games and was in the lockerroom after many games and Rogers DOES NOT cooperate with the media. He's "too good" for the media and it shows when you are there in person.

Many athletes act like the media is the devil but those same athletes are the first to turn it to sports center after games to see themselves.