PDA

View Full Version : A&M a sleeper???

big daddy russ
07-06-2005, 01:38 PM
I don't know if any of you watched Sportscenter last night, but Trev Alberts has been doing his rundown of the top college teams and last night's special was on the sleepers. The very first team was Texas A&M. He picked 'em to finish 9-2.

Personally, I still feel that A&M's the second-best team in the Big XII (behind Rose Bowl contender UT), but what do you think? Do you think they were a flash in the pan last year and they even out this year... get washed up by the competition in the Big XII South and lose to Baylor again? Or do you think they have a great season in store for them and show everyone how down OU really is by going up to Okie and winning in Norman?

Please, no name-calling. If you have an opinion just say it and back it up with facts.

rockdale80
07-06-2005, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
I don't know if any of you watched Sportscenter last night, but Trev Alberts has been doing his rundown of the top college teams and last night's special was on the sleepers. The very first team was Texas A&M. He picked 'em to finish 9-2.

Personally, I still feel that A&M's the second-best team in the Big XII (behind Rose Bowl contender UT), but what do you think? Do you think they were a flash in the pan last year and they even out this year... get washed up by the competition in the Big XII South and lose to Baylor again? Or do you think they have a great season in store for them and show everyone how down OU really is by going up to Okie and winning in Norman?

Please, no name-calling. If you have an opinion just say it and back it up with facts.

I think it all depends on how Reggie does this year. He will have the supporting cast on offense, and enough of the defense coming back that it will be an opportunity to relax and play football. I truly believe if he comes out and plays to his potential that they can give Texas a run for their money.

vet93
07-06-2005, 02:01 PM
The concern that I have for A&M is their schedule this year....They must go to Norman to play the Sooners....no small task....then go to Lubbock to take on Tech....they haven't won on the south plains in a long time....then they play a legit national title team to end the season at home. That could be 3 quick losses right there....However, if they go into the final 3 games undefeated and manage to win one out of three...then they could go 9-2 and get a decent bowl game (cotton bowl?). What would be a lot of fun is if A&M and UT were both undefeated going into Thanksgiving....but not likely.

sicem74
07-06-2005, 02:06 PM
baylor is a sleeper they will win 9 or 8 games im serious!

lostaussie
07-06-2005, 02:08 PM
this could be a very exciting year for tha ags. i think an 8 to 9 win season is not out of the question. do i think they can stay with the longhorns, definately not. but saying that, this is a team that could certainly build lots of confidence if they come out the gate well. this program has alot to look forward too. go ags!!!

rockdale80
07-06-2005, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by sicem74

When you talk about Baylor football its not sleep....Its a coma.

Bobcatwideout
07-06-2005, 02:11 PM
who does A&M play in their non conference games?

vet93
07-06-2005, 02:16 PM
I think that the only toughie might be Clemson....everbody else is pretty weak.

Originally posted by Bobcatwideout
who does A&M play in their non conference games?

Bobcatwideout
07-06-2005, 02:22 PM
thanks vet... i think a&m will win to the most 8 games this year... they got a good recruiting class coming in but most of them might be red shirted sooo the next couple of years may be alot better for a&m.

ILS1
07-06-2005, 02:41 PM
You gotta consider the source. Trev Alberts is a serious homer!! Two years ago in Frank Solich's last year as coach,he said before the season that Nebraska was a serious National Championship contender. They end up something like 6-6.

:D :D :D

Old Tiger
07-06-2005, 02:46 PM
I saw it this morning

Bulldog_12
07-06-2005, 02:50 PM
Like Rockdale said, it depends on what Reggie shows up for the season. If it is the mature and mistake free Reggie we saw through the beginning of the year then A&M is serious. But, if he comes out like he did for the Cotton Bowl, nothing doing for A&M. The defense is veteran now and should be much better. The two games that scare me are Tech at Lubbock and OU at Norman. I could see A&M winning 9, but it will be tough.

BTEXDAD
07-06-2005, 02:57 PM
I am taking out second mortgage to bet on Baylor. Thanks for info, sicem

RdaleBoi08
07-06-2005, 06:37 PM
I Think A&M Will Be A Sleeper...IF They Dont Start Wit a W!

bullfrog_alumni_02
07-06-2005, 09:56 PM
baylor is a sleeper they will win 9 or 8 games im serious! you know, you are right, baylor will win 8-9 games. I can most assuradely say i agree with you.

but this will all occur over the course of the next 6 or 7 years.

Supertilley
07-06-2005, 11:03 PM
A&M has a very good reciver to take the place of Murphy, #8 franks. He has blazing speed and will be a true soph. Reggie has to be a real leader this year. It will be close.

Diocletian
07-07-2005, 12:09 AM
as with many sportscasters i must go with UT this year for all the way.......

as for aTm, i'm not sure if they can win 3 or 4 games this year....one things certain though, THEY'LL DEFINETLY HAVE TO BEAT BALOR ROFL!!!!!!!! no more teared up aggies flooding the interstate plz

Bulldog_12
07-07-2005, 12:24 AM
Originally posted by Diocletian
! no more teared up aggies flooding the interstate plz

????????

rockdale80
07-07-2005, 03:05 AM

as for aTm, i'm not sure if they can win 3 or 4 games this year....one things certain though, THEY'LL DEFINETLY HAVE TO BEAT BALOR ROFL!!!!!!!! no more teared up aggies flooding the interstate plz

obviously spelling is not a strong point for you.....

big daddy russ
07-07-2005, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by Supertilley
A&M has a very good reciver to take the place of Murphy, #8 franks. He has blazing speed and will be a true soph. Reggie has to be a real leader this year. It will be close.
Oh I agree. It's tough to replace someone like Murphy, but I actually think the Ags' receiving corps will be better overall this year.

I don't think they can beat Tech in Lubbock but I do think they'll pull off a win against one of the top dogs of the conference-- OU or UT.

AggieJohn
07-07-2005, 12:18 PM

are you sic'ems relative

AggieJohn
07-07-2005, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by AggieJohn
are you sic'ems relative
get ready for more of this

And get ready for more deleting of the huge files.

AggieJohn
07-07-2005, 12:24 PM
cause a&m will be doing the big dance at the end of the year

File is too big.

AggieJohn
07-07-2005, 12:25 PM
http://www.aggies9496.com/Images/AgFootball2004/A&MvsColorado2004/A&Mcu2004_0143.jpg

KTJ
07-19-2005, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ

In the ENTIRE Big 12?

I think you're underestimating Oklahoma (actually, underestimating more of Stoops than his team) and Texas Tech.

And crap, I didn't want to bring this back up but I haven't posted stuff in 2.5 weeks.

fairfield_06
07-19-2005, 02:51 PM
baylor is a sleeper they will win 9 or 8 games im serious! Sicem were talking about over a one season period not 5.

big daddy russ
07-19-2005, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by KTJ
In the ENTIRE Big 12?

I think you're underestimating Oklahoma (actually, underestimating more of Stoops than his team) and Texas

And crap, I didn't want to bring this back up but I haven't posted stuff in 2.5 weeks.
Nope, not underestimating OU. OU's waaayyy down. They have the talent but I'm not convinced they can put it together. Their defense wasn't anything special last year (especially the secondary) and they lost their two best DB's... the only two worth a darn.

They do have Adrian Peterson, a great run defense and a smorgasbord of young talent, but I still have them as one of the three most overrated teams in the nation coming into the season. (Nebraska and Florida are numbers one and two.) They couldn't stop any sort of passing attack last year, and if they don't get it together this year they'll lose to more than just UT. I could see A&M, Tech AND UCLA pulling off more than just one "shocker."

sicem74
07-19-2005, 03:00 PM
ok end of story aggies sux!

big daddy russ
07-19-2005, 03:07 PM
ok end of story aggies sux!
What do you think, KTJ? Will A&M get to four wins? That's the important question.

Who in the Big XII do you think will get four wins? Who won't?

KTJ
07-19-2005, 03:23 PM
Well I think A&M will definitely beat Okie State and Baylor. A&M hasn't won in Lubbock since God knows when, so I have that down as a L. And while OU is down (I definitely agree with you on that.) the game is still being played in Norman, which isn't that easy to begin with.

AggieJohn
07-20-2005, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by KTJ
Well I think A&M will definitely beat Okie State and Baylor. A&M hasn't won in Lubbock since God knows when, so I have that down as a L. And while OU is down (I definitely agree with you on that.) the game is still being played in Norman, which isn't that easy to begin with.

see i disagree, i think anyone can play in norman, there's no serious threat to play there, the only reason that's been hard to play in the past few years is the fact that they had a GOOD team....the stadium is nothing impressive, in fact it's short of embarassing for a school on that level nationally...i think texas and a&m can take a run for them in norman if they are both playing there

big daddy russ
07-21-2005, 04:46 AM
Originally posted by AggieJohn
see i disagree, i think anyone can play in norman, there's no serious threat to play there, the only reason that's been hard to play in the past few years is the fact that they had a GOOD team....the stadium is nothing impressive, in fact it's short of embarassing for a school on that level nationally...i think texas and a&m can take a run for them in norman if they are both playing there
Norman? At least they sell out just about every game. What about everyone thinking for some reason or another that Miami has some sort of huge homefield advantage? That mystifies me.

I saw them play Pitt in the Orange Bowl back in 1999 and the stadium was less than half full. I think the official attendance was somewhere in the 30K's... and this was against a good conference opponent that had Marc Bulger under center. To top it off, the fans that were there (especially the students) didn't make a bit of noise. A nationally televised game (I think it was CBS if I remember correctly). They could've cared less about the game.

I heard a Pitt fan talking after the game, saying that the reason nobody cared was because it was just a rich private school.

If that's the case, then what happened at Notre Dame? Are the fans of the Fighting Irish some sort of crazy genetic experiment? And also what about the fans at SMU, especially during their heyday before the death penalty?

Worst atmosphere I've ever seen at a major D-I school, but they're lauded for exactly that. I've seen a better homefield advantage in several HS stadiums here in Texas (no lie) and at a small D-III school in Belton (no lie).

But everyone still says they have an awesome advantage at home because they see one game a year (Florida State) where the stadium is rocking and filled to capacity on national TV.

Oh, and also because they win at home all the time. The reason they win at home all the time is because they win all the time. It happens when you have 11 future All Pros on the field at any given moment.

Sorry guys, just had to get that off my chest.

AggieJohn
07-21-2005, 12:17 PM
yeah sounds like a little pent up frustration