PDA

View Full Version : Tour de France - Stage 5

Phil C
07-06-2005, 09:28 AM
There are four escapees that are 1min40sec ahead of the peloton with about 25 miles left to go on the 183 mile stretch. This is supposed to be a sprinters race so the peloton will probably catch them. Thrilling times indeed!

Phil C
07-06-2005, 09:28 AM
There was a crash earlier and the rider is okay. Some _____ parked his motorbike on the road. :mad:

vet93
07-06-2005, 09:29 AM
To think....before lance...I had no idea what a Peleton was....He has truly changed the face of cycling in the world and U.S.

Phil C
07-06-2005, 09:35 AM
Right you are vet! There is about 21 miles left in the race and the sprinters in the peloton are starting to organize for the final sprint to the finish line. The peloton is now 1min25sec behind the escapees. Basically the next few stages are for the sprinters but you do get some escapees who like to have the glory of leading the peloton and win climbing awards but also sometimes one of them can pull off the upset and win a stage. Rain is falling so let's hope they are careful.

Phil C
07-06-2005, 09:37 AM
Lance is playing it safe and will probably do so the next several races until they get to the mountains.

Phil C
07-06-2005, 09:40 AM
The peloton is gaining on the escapees as they now lead by 1min15sec. Exciting race indeed. Can they hold the lead and then one of them race to the finish line to win the stage or will the peloton catch up and the race become a winner. Probably the peloton will catch up but you never know. Sometimes the escapees get away with it. Exciting race indeed. My goodness me! Who says we don't have some excitement going on until football season?! :)

Phil C
07-06-2005, 09:44 AM
As a side note Lance won the yellow jersey since Zambriskie crashed yesterday but he didn't want to wear it because he wanted to earn it. The officials held up the race a few minutes and made him wear it. Fortunately, Zambriskie appears ok and is racing today.

Phil C
07-06-2005, 09:53 AM
The rain has stopped and there is about 12 miles left in the race. The peloton is now only 40 seconds behind the escapees. The sprinters in the peloton are still getting into position for the final spring. Very exciting indeed.

Phil C
07-06-2005, 10:00 AM
Six miles left and the escapees as expected have been caught by the peloton. The sprinters are now in control of the peloton of course and they are getting ready for what will surely be an exciting race to the finish line soon. My goodness me! Excitement abounds!!

Phil C
07-06-2005, 10:04 AM
Lance's team is working to protect him as the stage approaches the end. The sprinters will be making their move very soon.

Phil C
07-06-2005, 10:15 AM
A thrilling end indeed. Robbie McEwen wins the stage by 30 cm ahead of Tom Bowin and Thor Hushed gets third place. An exciting finish indeed. My goodness me! Whew!

Phil C
07-06-2005, 10:21 AM
Lance is still in first place and there is no change in the top classifications. His total time at stage five is 9min59min12sec. He is the only one at this point under ten hours though barely. Go Lance Go!

Phil C
07-06-2005, 04:18 PM
Actually that time I quoted for Lance was before this Stage. His total time now is 13hr45min12sec. Tomorrow they run another flat race which favors the sprinters. It will be about 124 miles. Regarding the overall competition Lance has time over what the experts consider his main competitors this year. He is 1min21sec ahead of Alexandre Vinokourov of Kazakhsten. He is 1min26sec ahead of Ivan Basso of Italy. He is 1min36sec ahead of Jan Ullrich of Germany. Tomorrow should be another thrilling race. My goodness me! The excitement keeps building up. Go Lance Go!

RBARKER
07-06-2005, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
Alexandre Vinokourov of Kazakhsten.

Thats easy for you to say :D

JK Phil Thanks for the updates, I've been reading them everyday.

TOUR DE LANCE !!!!

Phil C
07-06-2005, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by RBARKER
Thats easy for you to say :D

JK Phil Thanks for the updates, I've been reading them everyday.

TOUR DE LANCE !!!!

LOL but I just write it. I don't know how to pronounce it. :)