PDA

View Full Version : Astro fans

GWOOD
07-06-2005, 09:01 AM
How 'bout those 'Stros? In the past 2 weeks, they have gone 12-3, moved from 6th place to tied for 2nd, and now are only 6 games out of the Wild Card lead.

Are we seeing the team as they should be or is it just a hot streak? What moves do the Astros need to make?

shellman54
07-06-2005, 09:21 AM
This is the team as it should be. Speed on the basepaths has been a big turning point for the team. We have just enough power with Biggio, Ensberg, and Lane to get by. I would love to see the Astros get a slugging outfielder or first baseman. Rumors were going around that Houston was looking to trade pitchers to Cincinnati for Adam Dunn, a New Caney native. He has plenty of power.

JasperDog94
07-06-2005, 09:22 AM
Yeah, but Dunn strikes out too much for me. He's a good player, but he swings for the fences too much for me. Just get a hit.

shellman54
07-06-2005, 09:25 AM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
Yeah, but Dunn strikes out too much for me. He's a good player, but he swings for the fences too much for me. Just get a hit.

Yeah, I know what you mean. However, maybe with the right hitting coach (i.e. Gary Gaetti), he could fix that.

Bandera YaYa
07-06-2005, 09:26 AM
GO ASTROS GO....GO ASTROS GO.....(somehow that just doesn't sound right, but WOOHOO ASTROS !!!!) :D

GWOOD
07-06-2005, 09:41 AM
Originally posted by JasperDog94

Dunn is no Beltran. But I like Dunn at First Base and Berkman in Left Field better than Berkman at First Base and Chris Burke in Left Field.

A couple of days ago I saw an article that listed four other hitters who might be available for trade but now I can't find it. Who else besides Dunn might be available?

Maroon87
07-06-2005, 09:55 AM
This is more what I had in mind when the season started. They're only 6 games back in the wild card. Hope they can keep it up. I think the pitching will be fine...I just wonder if the bats can continue to come up with big hits they way they have been. I think the tellling sign will be the 10-game roadie right after the All Star break, when they go to St. Louis, Pittsburgh, and Washington. If they can go .500 or better on that trip we may really be onto something.:clap:

AggieJohn
07-06-2005, 11:09 AM
if you ask me, trade away berkman, get a decent 1B for him you can spice up the offense......the only think berks been good for is his glove, his bat went a long time ago

Pmoney
07-06-2005, 11:56 AM
I heard that Chicago White Sox will trade any combination of players to get Roger Clemens....i think we should get some younger players for him....Roger has only 2 yrs at the most in his career left.....go for Buhrle...do the smart thing...another thing is i think this is the team turning around

Gobbla2001
07-06-2005, 12:17 PM
Remind anyone of last year? 'Cept this year they're blasting off before the All-Star break...

Now, if Clemens were just a 'name' now day, and wasn't producing as much as usual, I'd say yah, trade him... But he's an all-star, AGAIN, and won a cy-young as recently as last year... We need his pitching...

Trade Berkman? He's been lighting it up every year, just hasn't this year, a lot due to his slow start caused by his injury...

They're really doing well, proud of 'em...

Pmoney
07-06-2005, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
Trade Berkman? He's been lighting it up every year, just hasn't this year, a lot due to his slow start caused by his injury...
Berkman is a tremendous player dont trade him

Bobcatwideout
07-06-2005, 01:24 PM
Don't trade the rocket he has one of the best if not the best ERA...and he would have a better record if the stros could come around with the bats which they have been obviously this past month but dont trade clemens or berkman.

big daddy russ
07-06-2005, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by AggieJohn
if you ask me, trade away berkman, get a decent 1B for him you can spice up the offense......the only think berks been good for is his glove, his bat went a long time ago
He's had injury problems the three years, hit 30 homers as recently as last year and he's only 29. He just needs to find his stroke again, and if his performance over the past couple weeks is any indication he's well on his way to doing so. He's batting dang near .400 and has been slowly but surely getting back to being a line drive hitter.

Besides that, he's a local boy. He played his HS ball in Waco and his college ball at Rice. He deserves a little more just for that fact.

Keith7
07-06-2005, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by Pmoney
I heard that Chicago White Sox will trade any combination of players to get Roger Clemens....i think we should get some younger players for him....Roger has only 2 yrs at the most in his career left.....go for Buhrle...do the smart thing...another thing is i think this is the team turning around

Thats dumb the White Sox would never trade Buhrle for Clemens.. Clemens is a great pitcher but Buhrle has put up just as good numbers this season and is younger and has a MUCH cheaper contract.. I dont know where u came up with that but it would never work

Keith7
07-06-2005, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by GWOOD

A couple of days ago I saw an article that listed four other hitters who might be available for trade but now I can't find it. Who else besides Dunn might be available?

Mike Sweeny from Kansas City
Todd Helton from Colorado
Aubry Huff from Tampa Bay
are all players possable for trade

Ranger05
07-06-2005, 02:48 PM
if you ask me, trade away berkman, get a decent 1B for him you can spice up the offense......the only think berks been good for is his glove, his bat went a long time ago berkman has drove in 31 runs so far this season in only 51 games that hes played in and keep in mind he had started off slow. That would be the dumbest thing they could do right now is trade berkman. The astros need to lock berkman up long term this is the type of guy that is a franchise player.

rockdale80
07-06-2005, 02:52 PM

Did you eat paint chips as a kid????:rolleyes:

Bulldog_12
07-06-2005, 02:54 PM
No way do the Stros get rid of Berkman. If they need to get rid of anyone, its Bagwell. True he has been here forever, but he has done almost nothing the past couple of seasons. We need someone who can step up to the three hole and go back to the original batting order. Burke is going to end up growing into a very good player, he's not super yet, but just wait and see what happens to him. He has a lot of speed. But they definately need to bring in a slugger. The Offense has gotten a LOT better since the beginning, but they could still use one more guy. I think the Astros stay on this streak and take the wild card again this year. Go Stros!

GWOOD
07-06-2005, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by Keith7

Oooooooooooh! Todd Helton. Now that's a player I could get excited about playing for the Astros.

Last year he would cost a couple of our best pitching prospects and a young player on the roster. This year he is having a sub-par year. A change of scenery would do him good.

rockdale80
07-06-2005, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by Keith7

Good to see you back Keith....Man San Diego was awesome. Had a great time there. Will be going back for sure.

Bobcatwideout
07-06-2005, 03:45 PM
San Diego... reminds me of Ron Burgundy haha :D :D

Keith7
07-06-2005, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by rockdale80
Good to see you back Keith....Man San Diego was awesome. Had a great time there. Will be going back for sure.

i'm in san diego right now for the next week and a half.. I went to the biggest party of my life on july 4th it was awesome

GWOOD
07-06-2005, 04:15 PM
Has everyone gone to mlb.com to vote for Roy Oswalt for the final All-Star spot? You can vote up to 25 times. He is leading the vote as of early this afternoon. Voting ends today at 7:00 Pm.

Keith7
07-06-2005, 04:27 PM
vote for scott posednik too while u are voting for roy oswalt..

GWOOD
07-06-2005, 10:23 PM
The Astros pulled off another win tonight, 5-4 over the Padres. 12 hits tonight-the offense continues to show up in big ways. Pettite left the game in the sixth inning with tightness in his elbow. He was pitching great-5 innings, 3 hits, 1 run.

We are now 41-42 with one more game with San Diego. With 4 more games at home before the All-Star break, they could get above .500. I hope management is deciding we need another good hitter.

Tomorrow is rookie Wandy Rodriguez against Woody Williams. Wandy had a decent game last time but got lots of run support. We will probably need it again.

Bobcatwideout
07-07-2005, 12:53 AM
Now the astros pulled ahead of the cubs and are now in second but they are only one game from .500 and rodriguez can pitch a decent game and we score over 5 runs like we have been we can pull in at .500! Go Astros!