PDA

View Full Version : SA Spurs have 7 free agents.

Phil C
07-05-2005, 12:37 PM
They are G. Deven Brown, F Robert Horry (player option), F Linton Johnson, C Sean Marks, F-C tony Massenburg, F Glenn Robinson, and G Mike Wilks. All are good. I think the critical ones to keep would be Horry and Robinson.

Bandera YaYa
07-05-2005, 12:48 PM
Devon Brown has to stay.....Robinson can go.....

gobbler grad
07-05-2005, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by Bandera YaYa
Devon Brown has to stay.....Robinson can go.....

I totally agree...got to keep Brown...:)

AggieJohn
07-05-2005, 02:16 PM
dbrown and horry

Bobcatwideout
07-05-2005, 02:22 PM
yeah you cant let go of horry thats for sure

Maroon87
07-05-2005, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by AggieJohn
dbrown and horry

Ditto.

Txbroadcaster
07-05-2005, 08:23 PM
Keep Horry if it is cheap...Let's not forget he averaged all of 6 points last year

rockdale80
07-05-2005, 08:27 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
Keep Horry if it is cheap...Let's not forget he averaged all of 6 points last year

so the clutch shots arent worth anything?:thinking: :thinking:

Txbroadcaster
07-05-2005, 08:42 PM
Originally posted by rockdale80
so the clutch shots arent worth anything?:thinking: :thinking:

yep they are worth the thanks and the memories, but you sign a guy for what he can do for you over a full season NEXT year...not for one or two shots from last year.

That is how teams get into salary problems, by payng to much for last year. Horry is 34 and is on the downside

rockdale80
07-05-2005, 08:45 PM
yep they are worth the thanks and the memories, but you sign a guy for what he can do for you over a full season NEXT year...not for one or two shots from last year.

That is how teams get into salary problems, by payng to much for last year. Horry is 34 and is on the downside

I know, but he is there when you have to have a big shot. And 34 means he has a few more years in him. To be a big factor in 5 NBA championships should say something in itself. That tells me he can play with the best. Plus its not always about one of two shots. Rebounds, defense, and hustle is something he does do all season.

Bandera YaYa
07-05-2005, 11:18 PM

That is how teams get into salary problems, by payng to much for last year. Horry is 34 and is on the downside Ha, well guess you didn't know the reason Horry was even brought to the Spurs....FOR THE PLAYOFFS!!!! Pop saved him all year for just what he did.......and I think Pop was pretty dang smart to do it.....Horry on the downside?????Well if you call getting his SIXTH ring the downside........ha, i bet your upside isn't near as good as his downside...........can't argue with a Championship, I figure, can you?????? :rolleyes: :D

rockdale80
07-06-2005, 12:50 AM
Ha, well guess you didn't know the reason Horry was even brought to the Spurs....FOR THE PLAYOFFS!!!! Pop saved him all year for just what he did.......and I think Pop was pretty dang smart to do it.....Horry on the downside?????Well if you call getting his SIXTH ring the downside........ha, i bet your upside isn't near as good as his downside...........can't argue with a Championship, I figure, can you?????? :rolleyes: :D

oops...meant 6...thanks yaya

big daddy russ
07-06-2005, 01:34 AM

I know Horry's a sentimental favorite, but I have to say Amen to this post. Sorry YaYa and Rockdale, but he is on the downside of his career. If Miami offers him a 5 year, $50 million contract, the Spurs had better let him go. If they keep him for that much and that long you'd be cussing him in two or three years.

rockdale80
07-06-2005, 02:05 AM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
I know Horry's a sentimental favorite, but I have to say Amen to this post. Sorry YaYa and Rockdale, but he is on the downside of his career. If Miami offers him a 5 year, $50 million contract, the Spurs had better let him go. If they keep him for that much and that long you'd be cussing him in two or three years.

Who said 5 years for $50 million dollars? I think he is worth a buck or two regardless of sentiment. If it werent for a few of his shots the Rockets, Lakers, or Spurs wouldn't have been in the position to have a championship at all. I know what you are saying Russ, but let us be honest for a minute. He made some of those rings happen. Like I was saying though....he hustles, gets rebounds, and plays good defense. He is a good defensive post player when Duncan is on the bench, and takes charges to help out the team. Horry also plays like he wants to be there. Maybe not 5 million a year, but he plays with heart and you cant take that away from him.

Jay Tope
07-06-2005, 07:04 AM
Robert Horry has agreed to a 3 year deal with the Spurs. Terms were not disclosed.

cdlvj
07-06-2005, 08:26 AM
SAN ANTONIO (AP) -- San Antonio Spurs forward Robert Horry has agreed to a three-year deal with the NBA champions, according to reports.

Horry's agent, Robert Barr, told Houston television station KRIV and the San Antonio Express-News on Tuesday that the three-year deal would allow the Spurs the right to buy Horry out of the third year.

No contract can be signed before July 22 when the free agent signing period begins.

Barr did not say how much the deal is worth.

"Robert believes this [Spurs] team can win more championships," Barr told the San Antonio Express-News for its Wednesday editions. "For him, that's what this game is all about."

He told KRIV that while Horry considered signing with the Dallas Mavericks, "Robert's love for the Spurs organization, head coach Gregg Popovich and the city of San Antonio was too much for him to walk away from."

Horry hit a 3-pointer in overtime to give the Spurs the victory in Game 5 of the finals with the Detroit Pistons. He averaged 10.6 points per game in the finals.

Phil C
07-06-2005, 08:27 AM
Also the thing is they may need to leave a little money to sign Bruce Bowin who becomes a free agent next year I think.

Phil C
07-06-2005, 10:40 AM
Good news indeed that we have Horry for another three years. :)
Let's hope we can at least get Brown and Robinson signed up along with an agreement with Mahinmi and leave enough to get Bowin next year. Good news indeed!

big daddy russ
07-06-2005, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by rockdale80
Who said 5 years for $50 million dollars? I think he is worth a buck or two regardless of sentiment. If it werent for a few of his shots the Rockets, Lakers, or Spurs wouldn't have been in the position to have a championship at all. I know what you are saying Russ, but let us be honest for a minute. He made some of those rings happen. Like I was saying though....he hustles, gets rebounds, and plays good defense. He is a good defensive post player when Duncan is on the bench, and takes charges to help out the team. Horry also plays like he wants to be there. Maybe not 5 million a year, but he plays with heart and you cant take that away from him.
I was just giving an example. A lot of teams get excited and overpay for guys like Eddie Jones, Eddie Robinson and Dikembe Mutombo nowadays. Don't get me wrong, two of those three are effective players and contributed a lot to their teams in certain roles last year, but I just didn't want the price to be too high. Three years sounds like a reasonable contract, though.

Bandera YaYa
07-06-2005, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
I know Horry's a sentimental favorite, but I have to say Amen to this post. Sorry YaYa and Rockdale, but he is on the downside of his career. If Miami offers him a 5 year, $50 million contract, the Spurs had better let him go. If they keep him for that much and that long you'd be cussing him in two or three years. Ha! I would never cuss someone that is that good looking....... :inlove::D :D

big daddy russ
07-06-2005, 01:52 PM
Ha! I would never cuss someone that is that good looking....... :inlove::D :D
LOL. But he's married to Jada Pinkett-Smith.

Bobcatwideout
07-06-2005, 01:59 PM
lol i thought will smith was married to her

big daddy russ
07-06-2005, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by Bobcatwideout
lol i thought will smith was married to her
LOL, it's a running joke that was started by crabman (I think) in another Robert Horry post.... Just look at the two. September through July he moonlights as a professional hoops player. The rest of the year he's in Hollywood.

Bobcatwideout
07-06-2005, 02:05 PM
Oh my bad lol :D

Phil C
07-06-2005, 03:35 PM
Hollywood missed out on one great basketball player who would have been great in the movies if used wisely. Yep it was the great Wilt Chamberland. He was manificient in the Arnold Swartzneigger movie Conan the Destroyer made in 1984. Many people thought he should have been nominated for best supporting actor. A great opportunity that Hollywood wasted indeed. :(

Phil C
07-06-2005, 04:44 PM
Tony Parker was very upset so we can all be understanding and forgiving when he said that the Olympics favor Anglo-Saxon cities. We must be kind and understanding. I hate to go against him but he didn't do much research. The Cities are also awarded on ability to be ready even though Athens got ready by a photo finish.
However since 1960 I will list the cities that hosted the Olympics

1960 Rome, 1964 Tokyo, 1968 Mexico City, 1972 Munich, 1976 Montreal (a predominately French Canadian city), 1980 Moscow 1984 Los Angeles, 1988 Seoul (South Korea), 1992 Barcelona, 1996 Atlanta, 2000 Sydney, and 2004 Athens. In 2008 they will be in China and in 2012 in London. It looks like a fair representation to me.

Phil C
07-06-2005, 04:46 PM
Strange they have never been held in Africa or South America though but I don't think they have ever seriously made a bid. Plus weather may be a factor.