PDA

View Full Version : District 2-3A Preview

Matthew328
07-04-2005, 06:47 PM
Lubbock Cooper last year held off Muleshoe 28-13 to win the district title, the Pirates went on to a 9-3 record before falling to Sweetwater in the area round of the playoffs. Muleshoe finished with an identical record of 9-3 and fell to Snyder in the area playoffs, and this year look for a Muleshoe team that returns many of its key skill players to possibly end the Cooper Pirates hold on this district. Levelland made the playoffs in their first year down from 4A and they should be improved also. Brownfield and Littlefield also look to be improved in 2005, this will make 2-3A a district to keep an eye on.

Matt Predictions (Division 1 team in Caps)

1. Muleshoe
2. Lubbock Cooper
3. LEVELLAND
4. Littlefield
5. Brownfield

1. Muleshoe Mules
2004: 9-3 lost to Snyder 42-12 in the Div 2 area playoffs
Outlook: The Mules return first team all-district QB Brant Hamilton who put up great numbers as a sophomore with over 1800 total yards. RB Brady Black who has good size and speed returns also, Black also was first team AD putting up 1355 yards and 13 TD's. Black also earned first team AD on defense as well for the Mules. Defensive line looks to be an area of concern for Coach Wood's squad..Muleshoe's 9-3 record was their best since going 14-1 and making the state semi-finals in 2000.

2. Lubbock Cooper Pirates
2004: 9-3 lost to Sweetwater 35-14 in the Div 2 area playoffs
Outlook: Offense will have to carry CHS while their young defense gels, Trey Wood is a Div 1 prospect at LB/DE but he'll lead the Cooper offense at QB, look for him to still see time at LB however...in 2004 he earned second team AD honors. Randy Calderon was first team AD on the offensive line. Cooper has several other offensive weapons including speedy TJ Sheppard, Jamar Cooks and Carlyle Stokes. DE Tyler Mayberry will head up a defense that could be shaky early.

3. Levelland Lobos
2004: 4-7 lost to Canyon 21-7 in Div 1 bi-district playoffs
Outlook: Levelland made the playoffs in their first season down from 4A and look for more progress from Coach Thiessen's crew. LHS returns 6 starters on both sides of the ball but the defense will lead the Lobos early. DE Jake Myatt and LB Ray Garza both earned first team AD as juniors...speedy Antron Washington will carry more of the load at RB this year in spot duty last year he ran for 225 yards.

4. Littlefield Wildcats
2004: 4-6 missed the playoffs
Outlook: 2004 was a tough year for LHS, after starting out 4-2 Littlefield went 0-4 in district play. With 8 starters back on both sides prospects for the playoffs are bright. RB Steven Viljoen was a second team AD pick last year and should be the bell cow back. Colby Huseman takes over QB duties this year and is experienced also. Gabriel Reyes was a first team AD linebacker and also contributes on offense he'll lead an experienced defensive unit.

5. Brownfield Cubs
2004: 5-5 missed the playoffs
Outlook: Brownfield also started out 4-2 and stumbled in district play with a 1-3 record, their lone win was 7-6 over Littlefield. The Cubs will be young and inexperienced especially on both lines. BHS lost all of their key performers to graduation, look for players like QB Trey Taylor, LB Ryan Tellis and WR/DB Roy Garcia to play key roles.

5 Players to Watch:

QB Brant Hamilton, Muleshoe
RB/DB Brady Black, Muleshoe
QB/LB Trey Wood, Lubbock Cooper
LB Ray Garza, Levelland
RB Steven Vilojean, Littlefield

Sweetwater Red
07-04-2005, 07:50 PM
Levelland was Sweetwater's homecoming opponent last year. We were beating them 42-0 at halftime. In the second half none of our starters touched the field. I thought to myself "what a pathetic program". Then, at work, A guy told me that their school district doesn't allow them to practice any extra-curricular activities after school hours. Is that true ???

Old Tiger
07-04-2005, 07:52 PM
looks good!

Chris Hart
07-04-2005, 08:59 PM
Originally posted by Sweetwater Red
Levelland was Sweetwater's homecoming opponent last year. We were beating them 42-0 at halftime. In the second half none of our starters touched the field. I thought to myself "what a pathetic program". Then, at work, A guy told me that their school district doesn't allow them to practice any extra-curricular activities after school hours. Is that true ??? I don't know if that's true or not, but it don't sound right. If it is indeed true, then they must have had the best girls basketball coach in the nation during the 90's, leading them to numerous state titles and playoff runs. I think alot of their problem in football is that alot of their athletes transfer to Sundown High School that is rated exemplary in all facets of education. Not to mention they are a SUPER RICH school, with an indoor olympic size swimming pool, and generally perform better in all sports than Levelland, except of course girls basketball.