PDA

View Full Version : Caldwell AD, football coach takes over at Taylor

sicem74
07-04-2005, 05:31 PM
Caldwell AD, football coach takes over at Taylor

By LARRY BOWEN
Eagle Staff Writer

Caldwell athletic director and head football coach Rick Cobia accepted the same positions at Taylor High School on Friday, moving up one level to Class 4A after six years with the Hornets.

Cobia, 48, led Caldwell to the 3A football playoffs three times, including the last two seasons. The Hornets went 10-2 last year, reaching the second round of the playoffs.

He will replace Tim Holt, who left Taylor for Big Spring. Taylor went 4-6 last season and missed the playoffs for the first time in four years.

“ It was an opportunity that I think was best for my family,” Cobia said. “It was a very difficult decision because of my love for this town and these kids.

“ This is an opportunity to go to a 4A school district and challenge myself as a head coach and see if I can help other sports programs be successful. Not to give myself the credit, but I was around Caldwell when a lot of good things happened. They’re hoping I can bring that attitude to Taylor.”

Holt resigned in May. Cobia didn’t apply for the job until June 21.

“ The timing was questionable, but you jump when it’s right,” Cobia said. “I felt like in my heart this was the right place and right time to go.”

Cobia had an overall record of 33-31 at Caldwell, taking the Hornets to the playoffs in his first year in 1999 and in each of the last two seasons. The Hornets won a share of the District 19-3A championship last year and notched their first playoff win since 1994 when they beat Navasota in bi-district.

Caldwell had reached the playoffs three times in the 22 years before Cobia arrived.

“ Being in the playoffs three out of six years is a pretty good stat in Caldwell, and so is going to the playoffs back-to-back, which they hadn’t done since 1931,” Cobia said. “We’re talking [about] state championship and gold footballs again. I really see the future of Caldwell football continuing to rise.”

Cobia said the pieces are in place for Taylor to overcome the late coaching change.

“ They have some outstanding coaches that are still there on the staff,” Cobia said. “Also, they are disciplined, and they will play tough. All they’re looking for is a head coach that can lead them and have a positive influence on their lives.

“ This group of kids has potential to be really good. If we can get everybody on the same page at this stage, I expect us to have a successful season and even make the playoffs.”

Cobia said he wants Caldwell to promote an assistant coach from his staff to be his replacement.

“ My recommendation is that they hire from within,” Cobia said. “We have outstanding coaches on that staff.”

Cobia said criticism of the Caldwell athletic department by a small group of fans during the 2003-04 school year was not a factor in his decision to leave. Cobia changed head coaches in two sports and named a new offensive coordinator in football after those complaints.

Cobia said the Caldwell football program and athletic department improved during his tenure.

“ Our kids became football-intelligent, and they are ready on Friday nights,” Cobia said. “They have raised the expectations themselves and had a taste of victory and liked it.

“ It was something we had to patiently build and bring along. We raised the bar every year, and I think this is now a hotbed for 3A athletics.”

Gobbla2001
07-04-2005, 05:42 PM
Man, that really has to bite for Caldwell, now they gotta get a new guy, and two-a-days starts pretty darn soon...

Old Tiger
07-04-2005, 06:25 PM
Old news... :D

RdaleBoi08
07-04-2005, 06:48 PM
Who Do U THink Will Take Over Caldwell now?

sicem74
07-04-2005, 06:49 PM
mike jones

Gobbla2001
07-04-2005, 06:55 PM
The bigger question right now is not 'who', but 'when'...

Imagine how these kids must feel... they're up there sweating and they do not know who their head man is gunna be this coming season...

It's a good thing to meet your new AD/HC some time before you get out of school for the summer... then you're able to come back 'knowing' who you're gunna be playing for, and maybe you get introduced to some new assistants...

But when you show up for two-a-days, you're just now meeting your guy, you haven't been in his system or anything... and in two weeks, you have a scrimmage, then another etc...

Must suck for those boys...

RdaleBoi08
07-04-2005, 07:18 PM
haha charles...but foreal has any body heard that has applied for the job?

CHS_CG
07-04-2005, 07:40 PM
A lot of us caldwell people believe they will hire coach bivins( i think that is his name) his first year at caldwell was last year and hes a really good coach.. havent heard any word from the school though.

caldwellguard62
07-05-2005, 11:53 PM
Well since I go to Caldwell and I will be a senior this year I know that most likely our new AD will be Coach Williams the Defensive Cordinator from last year and I know that we have lost Cobia, Rohan, and Smith. That is not going to get us down we still be in top contention for the title and we will still bring it every friday. So LOOK OUT!

sicem74
07-06-2005, 12:36 AM
lol is that u jeb

Bobcatwideout
07-06-2005, 12:41 AM
This sounds kinda like what happened at Orangefield last year

Gobbla2001
07-06-2005, 02:05 AM
Bivins?

The Bivins from Cuero Bivins?

That was my U.S. History teacher my freshmen year...

he gives really really painful licks...

lepfan
07-06-2005, 02:30 AM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001

he gives really really painful licks...

Ewww, can you call them swats.... NOT .... licks