PDA

View Full Version : Top 15 Best Blow-Ups In Sports

ILS1
07-03-2005, 10:41 PM
1. The Brawl
Pacers forward Ron Artest incited the Malice in the Palace when he led a fast break into the stands and tried to attack a fan who hit him with a cup. It all began with Pistons forward Ben Wallace shoving Artest after a hard foul. A fist-throwing, chair-launching, beer-hurling 10-minute melee ensued. Artest was suspended for the season.

2. The Choke
In December of 1997, fed up with the demands of coach P.J. Carlesimo during practice, the Warriors' Latrell Sprewell attacked his coach, choking him and then coming back 20 minutes later to take a few more swings. Spree was suspended and spent a total of 13 months out of the NBA.

3. The Chomp
In the first round of a heavyweight title fight in 1997, former champion Mike Tyson, enraged and out of control from the opening bell, twice bit Evander Holyfield's ear, the second time spitting a piece of it to the mat. He was disqualified and later suspended from boxing.

4. The Punch I
On Dec. 9, 1977 a scuffle broke out between the Lakers and Rockets. Rudy Tomjanovich rushed to aide his teammate Kevin Kunnert but Laker Kermit Washington, feeling someone coming up behind him, turned and delivered a right punch that shattered Tomjanovich's face. Tomjanovich underwent five surgeries to repair the damage.

5. The Punch II
The irascible Woody Hayes, an icon at Ohio State, lost his cool on the sidelines at the Gator Bowl in 1978 and punched a Clemson player who had just intercepted an Art Schlichter pass, thwarting the Buckeyes' comeback. Hayes, beloved as he was by fans, was fired shortly thereafter.

6. The Punch III
It was the sucker-punch that shocked hockey. Canucks star Todd Bertuzzi dropped Colorado Avalanche rookie Steve Moore from behind during a March 2004 game, knocking him unconscious. Moore suffered a broken neck and a concussion. The NHL suspended Bertuzzi indefinitely

7. The Bat Attack
Giants pitcher Juan Marichal provoked maybe the most brutal baseball fight in history when he conked Dodgers catcher John Roseboro over the head with his bat in a 1965 game. Marichal claimed Roseboro threw a ball too close to his head when throwing back to the mound. While Willie Mays dragged Roseboro off the field, a brawl ensured.

8. The Slash
Boston Bruins enforcer Marty McSorley blindsided Canucks enforcer Donald Brashear in a 2000 game with a stick over the head that left Brashear unconscious. McSorley was suspended for 23 games and found guilty of assault by a Canadian court. Brashear missed 20 games.

9. The Flag
Browns tackle Orlando Brown, incensed after being hit in the eye by a referee's penalty flag in a 1999 game, pushed the ref to the ground. The NFL suspended him indefinitely, later lifting it. Brown, who claimed an eye injury and returned to the Ravens in 2003, is suing the league for $200 million.

10. The Death Threat
After a game in 1994, Temple basketball coach John Chaney burst into a post-game press conference and threatened Massachusetts coach John Calipari. "I'll kill you. Remember that," he shouted. He was evidently upset with Calipari for intimidating the refs during the UMass win.

11. The Hat
Wrigley was far from "friendly" to the Dodgers' bullpen back in 2000. As fans peppered the pitchers with beer, one fan grabbed catcher Chad Kreuter's hat. Kreuter and the rest of the pen jumped in the stands to get back the hat, trading punches with the Cubs fans. Though L.A. got back the hat and the win, 16 Dodgers were suspended after the melee.

12. The Chair I
Bobby Knight was a tempest on the sideline at Indiana, but never more than in February 1985. During a loss to Purdue at IU's Assembly Hall, just as a Purdue player was about to shoot a free throw, Knight picked up a folding chair and whipped it across the floor to protest the officiating.

13. The Chair II
Angered by A's fans who were heckling the Texas bullpen, Rangers reliever Frank Francisco chucked a bullpen chair into the right-field seats. The chair struck a man in the head and then broke a woman's nose. Francisco was arrested the following morning and charged with misdemeanor assault. He pleaded no contest Thursday to misdemeanor assault.

14. The Spit
In one of the more distasteful acts ever on a baseball field, Baltimore second baseman Roberto Alomar argued, then spit, on umpire John Hirschbeck after being called out on a third strike. The two men have since become friends.

15. The Pine Tar
When Yankees manager Billy Martin challenged a home run by the Royals' George Brett in 1983 because of excessive pine tar on Brett's bat -- and umpire Tim McClelland agreed -- Brett's bolting from the dugout became a classic in hothead history. Brett was called out, but the decision eventually would be overturned.

Top 15 Blow-Ups (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/more/07/01/blowups/index.html)

lostaussie
07-03-2005, 11:08 PM
i enjoyed this. it brought back some great memories.

Bobcatwideout
07-04-2005, 12:35 AM
lol yeah especially number 3 haha

ILS1
07-04-2005, 12:46 AM
I've seen all of these except for #7. A little before my time!!! LOL!!! Actually,this is the first I've heard of it.

:D

Phil C
07-04-2005, 12:48 PM
I saw no. 5 live. The Clemson player wasn't hurt since he had on his helmet and seemed to be more puzzled than hurt. After the game he said he wasn't hurt and that he hoped it wouldn't get Woody Hayes fired.

turbostud
07-04-2005, 01:37 PM
nevermind

bevo
07-04-2005, 01:47 PM
I know that this didn't and wouldn't make the list of the top 15, but this one is as demoralizing as any on the list.

• Texas (Baseball) — A police sergeant and youth coach, angry after being ejected from his sons game goes home and puts on his police uniform, waits in the parking lot following the game and then issues a traffic violation ticket to the games umpire when he leaves the facility. The officer is reprimanded by the police department for lying about the incident to his superiors. (March 2000)

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
07-04-2005, 03:36 PM
What about 2 years ago whenever U of H and Hawaii got into a scuffle in the Hawaii Bowl?

Pmoney
07-04-2005, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
What about 2 years ago whenever U of H and Hawaii got into a scuffle in the Hawaii Bowl? Ya that was a crazy brawl....what about the Red Sox/Yanks fight 2 yrs ago when Pedro threw down Zimmerman(I think thats his name)

lostaussie
07-04-2005, 05:57 PM
there have been lots of good ones, but the 15 above were pretty much classics.

D_bird
07-05-2005, 01:09 AM
I remember a Rangers game about 12 years ago, I don't remember who was pitching for the Rangers or who was batting for the Royals, but the Rangers' pitcher hit the batter and instead of charging the mound he charged the Rangers dugout and a brawl insued.

vet93
07-05-2005, 09:07 AM
Remember when the guy charged the mound when Nolan Ryan was pitching in the latter years. Was it Veniturri??? Anyway, Ryan who was 40 something pretty much jacked him up. He got him in a headlock and through a couple of punches to the face.

D_bird
07-05-2005, 09:37 AM
Yes, I remember that!!! I think that was the funniest brawl that has occured.

I believe the one in Kansas City happened either the same year or the year before.

BHBrave08
07-05-2005, 09:41 AM
To young to remember that but have seen many replays. What a fight that was.

LH Panther Mom
07-05-2005, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by vet93
Remember when the guy charged the mound when Nolan Ryan was pitching in the latter years. Was it Veniturri??? Anyway, Ryan who was 40 something pretty much jacked him up. He got him in a headlock and through a couple of punches to the face.

We were in Abilene yesterday at Buffalo Wild Wings - the decor is sports. They had a huge picture of this hanging on the wall & I immediately thought of it this morning when I read the thread. Nolan's fist was only 9-12 inches from his face at the time the pic was taken. :)

big daddy russ
07-05-2005, 01:50 PM
...Was it Veniturri???...
LOL that was Robin Ventura, vet. Just goes to show you shouldn't mess with a Texan, especially one who's going to be punching you with a fist that can throw a baseball 102.9 MPH.

vet93
07-05-2005, 02:45 PM
Thanks for the clarification Big Daddy! At may age, I was just happy that I remembered that the last name started with a V :D

Originally posted by big daddy russ
LOL that was Robin Ventura, vet. Just goes to show you shouldn't mess with a Texan, especially one who's going to be punching you with a fist that can throw a baseball 102.9 MPH.

big daddy russ
07-06-2005, 01:57 AM
Thanks for the clarification Big Daddy! At may age, I was just happy that I remembered that the last name started with a V :D
LOL. At your age? Aren't you like 30?

vet93
07-06-2005, 09:27 AM
Closer to 40.....but not too young to use my age as an excuse for a memory lapse! ;)

Originally posted by big daddy russ
LOL. At your age? Aren't you like 30?

big daddy russ
07-06-2005, 01:31 PM
Closer to 40.....but not too young to use my age as an excuse for a memory lapse! ;)
LOL.