PDA

View Full Version : District 20-AAA

crotalus
07-01-2005, 05:44 PM
How does everyone think dist. 20 will end up? I read Texas Football, but I think Bellville and Sealy will actually be the teams to beat. Bellville was young last year and was already pretty good. Sealy had a good JV squad and was close to making the playoffs. Navasota graduated almost everyone, 28 seniors. I think there are only 3 starters back on the whole team. A lot will depend on finding a QB. Martin had been in that spot for three years. I have no idea about Rice, I know they had some seniors in key spots last year. Columbus is always scrappy and they were very young last year too. They had a lot of injuries at the beginning of the season. Hempstead has speed, but can they get it turned around? Let's hear it!

Bull's-eye
07-01-2005, 07:14 PM
Bellville returns 19 lettermen, including 11 players that were sophomores last season. They should find more help from another talented group of sophomores. Bellville will have a solid running game with the return of their leading rusher RB Cooper. Bellville must improve their defense, which gave up over 325 yards per game. They must be able to stop their opponents running game, especially the larger and more powerful runners. Navasota's Smith and Caldwell's Pittman had huge games against last year's defense. This team has another brutal pre-district schedule that should prepare them for a good shot at winning the district crown. A good start could take this young team a long way, but they may still be a year away from going deep in the play-offs.

I look for Rice to be one of the district's front runners. I noticed a very good passing QB, who got some time in last year's play-offs.

KL3
07-04-2005, 01:29 PM
I'm excited to see how much this years Jr. class will have improved from last year. Like Bulls-eye said, expect to see a lot of contributors from this years Soph. class as well. A very good source told me that class could be the most talented Bellville group ever, moreso than the Seniors of 2004. That same person told me the 8th grade group is not far behind either.

Question marks:

1) New QB - I think Jr. Lane O'Connor is slated to start here. He is a coach's son, I am sure he has been taught well and will be a good QB

2) Go to guy on offense - Cooper is a hard runner, but need a speed back to step up that can take it to the house on any play, like a Josh Bryant who is gone to So. Arkansas. Jr. WR Brandon Harris really started to come on at the end of last season, hopefully he will continue to improve and soften the blow of losing Sanders to SMU.

3) Solidify OL - I believe 3 starters must be replaced

4) Replace DT's - lost 2 good Srs. in Rodiek and Nunn

5) Replace CB's - lost 2 college players in Bryant & Benjamin. Not really worried here, there are a lot of athletes that will battle for this position

There were 6 Fr. moved up to Varsity last year for the playoffs, all of whom I expect to contribute this season......

(Last year's hts. and wts):

RB/DB Clayton Chaney 5'10" 165
QB/DB John Conley 5'10" 150
RB/LB Byron Abbs 5'7" 175
OL/LB Leif Luetge 6'0" 180
OL/DL Marshall Crawford 6'1" 200
TE/DB Juan Salinas 6'1" 170

Bull's-eye
07-04-2005, 09:01 PM
Where's the rest of district 20-AAA posters? Like to hear more about their teams.

Did Sealy get a QB from Hempstead?

dutchman
07-04-2005, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by crotalus
How does everyone think dist. 20 will end up? I read Texas Football, but I think Bellville and Sealy will actually be the teams to beat. Bellville was young last year and was already pretty good. Sealy had a good JV squad and was close to making the playoffs. Navasota graduated almost everyone, 28 seniors. I think there are only 3 starters back on the whole team. A lot will depend on finding a QB. Martin had been in that spot for three years. I have no idea about Rice, I know they had some seniors in key spots last year. Columbus is always scrappy and they were very young last year too. They had a lot of injuries at the beginning of the season. Hempstead has speed, but can they get it turned around? Let's hear it!

do not count much on large graduating classes. last year many counted marlin out because they lost 24 seniors and a lot of talent that had been together since their sophmore year. navasota always has athletes and from what i saw in basketball and track they still have talent to pull from.

rhs78
07-05-2005, 05:39 PM
the Rice team will be young and have quite a few question marks going into this season. we lost a lot of good players but we have a lot of good jv kids and seniors with some experience. On offense it is going to be very hard to replace Charles Huffman at running back but there is a lot of talented speedy jrs. and sophs and a sohp. quarterback that could start ,that has quite a arm on him. Expect a passing attack this year or a lot more balanced offense this season.

I think our defense will be a big challenge, replacing a lot of senoirs ,but Coach Dumont loves defense and it should come around as the season progresses.

This team will have 7 Road games and that can be tough on a young team. I say that Bellville should be a solid pick to win district with Sealy, Navisota and Rice playing for the two other playoff spots. I dont count out Hempstead or Columbus. It will be a very interesting season as usuall.

NHSRattler60
07-05-2005, 07:06 PM
Navasota lost alot when they lost 05. I think this years Navasota team will be ALOT like last years Bellville Team. The Attitudes of some of the players isn't as good as it should be. They aren't as close as last years team is. Dave Campbell's Magazine overlooked one of our prized possesions though. That's all I'm sayin.

Now I can't tell you anything about the setups and whatnot because it's a new coach...and a new layout. All I know about it is it is NOT the same as last years. You're replacing the O-Line, Receivers, QB.

Don't get me wrong, the scrimmage agains Marlin and Crockett last year, our JV was dominating the Other linemen. They are great players...just some of them need to get over themselves.

I hope they prove everyone wrong. I hope I'm wrong and changes have been made.

Good Luck to all of the teams in 20-3a, go get 'em Rattlers.

JettJenkins04
07-06-2005, 04:17 AM
Goodluck to all of the teams in next years season.

Go Raiders

crotalus
07-15-2005, 02:23 PM
Come on, district 20 is usually very vocal. Let's hear what everyone has to say!

CheerMom
07-15-2005, 07:17 PM
We need Bellville22's insight!!!!! Where are you??

Gobbla2001
07-15-2005, 07:53 PM
Well I'm not a 20-3A poster, but I can give y'all a heads up and say 'Watch out for Sealy'... they'll be pretty good this year...

CheerMom
07-15-2005, 09:09 PM
We never take Sealy lightly. They are one of those teams that can bite you!!

scotty
07-16-2005, 10:02 AM
I look for District 20-3A to be very competitive again this year with Bellville and Rice having the inside track. But overall, I don’t see any of the teams being as good as they were the past few years… too many holes to fill on every team. I believe there will be lots of talent, but much of that talent hasn’t proven itself on Friday nights and there is a big difference from Thursday night football to Friday night football.
Look for the district to be much more wide open on offense as both Columbus and Navasota have new coaches and the Navasota coach likes to put the ball in the air. He has had a lot of success in the past by doing exactly that.
Look for Sealy to be different on offense as well as they have a new offensive coordinator as well and it is my understanding that he will run the offense. They may also have a different look on defense as there too they have a new coordinator. He’s a successful veteran coach with a lot of experience. Sealy’s defense has been good the last few years but the coordinator wanted to step down. New systems can give a team some problems the first year and there may need to be a lot of patience early.
Sealy again will have lots of speed and skill players, but it doesn’t appear as though they have an abundance of linemen. Finding a quarterback could also bring about some problems.
While this has nothing to do with next year’s Sealy team, they will be moving into their new high school and it’s quite a layout. The weight room is something special. They got some sort of grant and what they have looks like something you would see in places like Katy.
The new season is just around the corner and I hope that D20-3A is much stronger than I think it will be. Good luck to all the teams.

Johnny Utah
07-16-2005, 11:08 AM
Bellville district champs again!!! Will go D1 if Navasota does not make it.

mike_jones_2k3
07-17-2005, 07:27 PM
I LOOK FOR THE RICE RAIDERS TO BE STONG ON OFFENSE. TAYLOR COOK A SOPHMORE WILL BRING SOMETHING TO THE FIELD THE RAIDERS HAVENT SEEN SINCE THE 2001 SEASON...A PASSING ASSAULT. WITH HIS ARM AND A CORE OF TALENTED RECIEVERS THEIR PASSING GAME COULD BE THE BEST IN THE DISTRICT. NOW THE RUNNING GAME ON THE OTHER HAND WILL BE DIFFERENT. CHARLES HUFFMAN IS NOT REPLACEABLE. WHAT HE BROUGHT TO THE RAIDER GROUND GAME WAS MAGIC.
NOW LETS TALK ABOUT THE DEFENSE. EACH PART OF THE DEFENSE SUFFERED A BLOW. BUT THE MOST DRASTIC BLOW CAME ON THE DEFENSIVE LINE. I REALLY DONT SEE ANY ONE LIVING UP TO THE EXPECTATIONS SET FORTH BY THE PLAY OF DONOVAN KING. THEY USED THIS KID WHERE EVER THEY NEED A STOP. COMING OFF OF ANOTHER ALL-STATE PREFORMANE THIS KID WILL TURN HEADS ON THE COLLEGE LEVEL. CAN HE BE REPLACED (I SERIOUSLY DOUBT THAT) BUT MAYBE COACH DUMONT CAN SHIFT FOCUS ELSE WHERE AND KEEP HIS DEFENSE SOLID AS IT HAS BEEN FOR THE PAST 4YRS.

:FLAMINGA: :THUMBSUP:
GO RAIDERS :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

BHBrave08
07-17-2005, 07:28 PM
Please don't write in all caps. They are very hard to read.