PDA

View Full Version : Tyler Lee-colerain Blacked Out On Espn-u In Texas

nutcrackin
06-30-2005, 11:23 AM
TYLER LEE-COLERAIN BLACKED OUT ON ESPN-U IN TEXAS

(Please credit this story to KTBB Radio and Smoaky.com-Copyright)

KTBB Radio and Smoaky.com has learned the Friday, September 9th high school football game between Robert E. Lee and Colerain of Cincinnati will not be available on ESPN-U in Texas.

I've learned the University Interscholastic League and the Texas High School Coaches Association have decided against removing their ban on live telecasts that are not during the championship weekends.

Two sports marketing groups, Titus Sports Marketing of Plano and the Fahlgren Marketing Group in Columbus, who put the Ohio vs. U.S.A. together, have been in negotiations with the UIL over the past several weeks, but according to my sources, they've been unable to change the long-time tradition that allow only championship games to be broadcast live in Texas.

The Ohio High School Coaches Association approved the live broadcast earlier this month.

Lee and Colerain both won state championships in 2004, and are scheduled to meet at just after 8:00pm central time on Friday, September 9th at Crew Stadium in Columbus, Ohio.

I don't know whether or not the game will be offered as "tape-delayed" or not.

I've also been told negotiations will continue with the U.I.L., but the THSCA has already been very steadfast on not allowing live games during the regular season or until the championship weekends.

The radio broadcast will be available "live" on AM600 KTBB, with our broadcast crew of Randy Johnson, Craig Smoak, Kerry Ainsworth, Mike Laroux, and I.

David Smoak
Sports Director-KTBB/ESPN Radio
Owner-Smoaky.com

Phil C
06-30-2005, 11:24 AM
Man we are still in the dark ages in high school football just like the BCS in college football. :(

nutcrackin
06-30-2005, 03:08 PM
TITUS Sports Marketing
P.O. Box 700608 – Dallas, TX 75370 – 972-633-8080 (tel)
972-633-0287 (fax) – dave@titussportsmarketing.com

June 30, 2005

Mr. David Smoak
Sports Director
KTBB/ESPN Radio
1001 ESE Loop 323, Suite 455
Tyler, TX 75701

Dear David,

As background, TITUS Sports Marketing is a sales and marketing representative to the Tyler ISD. Earlier this year, we negotiated Tyler Lee's participation in the Kirk Herbstreit Ohio vs. USA Challenge with Fahlgren Sports Marketing.

TITUS does not own rights to the event -- television, radio, merchandising or otherwise. TITUS Sports Marketing was not officially involved in either the press conference in Tyler or Columbus to announce the Kirk Herbstreit Ohio vs. USA Challenge. In both venues, it was clearly stated that the event is owned by Fahlgren Sports Marketing.

We are only managing the event for the Tyler ISD as it relates to the official traveling party from the moment it leaves Tyler on September 8 until their return on September 10 – under the terms of our contract with the Tyler ISD. Our goal every step of the way is to maximize the experience for the Tyler ISD and to guarantee that every item in the contract we negotiated has been fulfilled.

If we can assist the community of Tyler in any way regarding Tyler Lee’s participation in the Kirk Herbstreit Ohio vs. USA Challenge, I think we have shown a willingness to educate and assist there, too.

In addition to our relationship with the Tyler ISD, TITUS manages a corporation’s annual contract and sponsorship of the University Interscholastic League’s state championships. Our relationship with the UIL spans a number of years and various partnerships. As early as January, we made the UIL aware of Tyler Lee's expected participation in the Kirk Herbstreit Ohio vs. USA Challenge to make sure that we were following all UIL guidelines as it relates to Tyler Lee’s travel, agenda in Columbus, game officials, etc. We also contacted the Texas High School Coaches Association -- and invited both parties to the press conference in Tyler when Fahlgren Sports Marketing officially announced the Kirk Herbstreit Ohio vs. USA Challenge.

Since its contract with the Tyler ISD was signed, Fahlgren Sports Marketing has asked TITUS to help in contacting the UIL to assist with identifying the steps necessary for Fahlgren Sports Marketing to gain a waiver or ruling for live TV in Texas of the Kirk Herbstreit Ohio vs. USA Challenge.

Following every conversation with the UIL (including our meeting on Tuesday in San Antonio in conjunction with the annual NFHS meetings), we have reported back to both Fahlgren Sports Marketing and the Tyler ISD on what steps remain for Fahlgren Sports Marketing to receive a waiver or ruling for live TV of the Kirk Herbstreit Ohio vs. USA Challenge. Fahlgren Sports Marketing has been clear in both press conferences (Tyler and Columbus) that one of the ESPN channels will telecast the game live nationally -- and throughout the state of Texas provided the UIL agrees to a waiver. Such an agreement has not yet been reached, and the window for such an opportunity for Fahlgren Sports Marketing will be the UIL’s State Executive Committee meeting in Austin in August.

If you have any questions regarding our responsibilities with the Kirk Herbstreit Ohio vs. USA Challenge, please feel free to call us.

Sincerely,

(w/o signature/ via e-mail)

Dave Stephenson

cc: Dr. Charles Breithaupt, Athletic Director, UIL
Coach Danny Long, Athletic Director, Tyler ISD
Text

Phantom Stang
06-30-2005, 06:32 PM
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but it's my understanding that the said rule applies to Friday games only.

If this is true, why not reschedule the game to Thursday or Saturday, of the same week?:thinking:

big daddy russ
06-30-2005, 06:39 PM
Originally posted by Phantom Stang
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but it's my understanding that the said rule applies to Friday games only.

If this is true, why not reschedule the game to Thursday or Saturday, of the same week?:thinking:
This is true... the Denton Ryan/SLC game last year was televised on ESPN 2.

Txbroadcaster
06-30-2005, 07:49 PM
Originally posted by Phantom Stang

one reason is because they wanted it to tie into Texas vs OSU wich is on Saturday..also if you do it Thursday then the Tyler Lee kids are missing more school.

While it would be nice for the game to be on TV, I do not think it is that big of a deal. I for one think televising HIgh school games is going a bit far anyway.