PDA

View Full Version : U.S. Mad Cow Disease Case Traced Back To TEXAS!!!

ILS1
06-29-2005, 09:40 PM
Wednesday, June 29, 2005; Posted: 8:35 p.m. EDT (00:35 GMT)

(CNN) -- The cow confirmed last week to be infected with mad cow disease was 12 years old and lived its entire life in Texas, according to John Clifford, the U.S. Department of Agriculture's chief veterinarian.

Unable to walk, the animal was selected for testing at a pet food facility in Waco, Texas, he said.

Its carcass was incinerated and no part of the animal was ever used for human or pet food, USDA officials said.

Two cattle related to the infected animal have been identified so far, Clifford said.

The USDA is holding the entire source herd as it continues efforts to test other members of the herd born around the same year as the infected cow, as well as the cow's offspring.

"Experience worldwide has shown us that it is highly unusual to find BSE [bovine spongiform encephalopathy] in more than one animal in a herd or in an affected animal's offspring," Clifford said.

"Nevertheless, all animals of interest will be tested for BSE," Clifford said.

"The safety of our food supply is not in question," he said. "I am very confident that our interlocking safeguards are effective, and this case is evidence of that."

Clifford said his agency is working with the Food and Drug Administration to determine the feed history in the infected cow's herd.

Given the animal's age, Clifford said the USDA believes it was "most likely" infected by consuming feed prior to a 1997 ban on feeding cattle the remains of other similar mammals.

This is the second case of BSE found in the United States. The first case, discovered in December 2003, was in a dairy cow that had been imported from Canada.

BSE is a chronic, degenerative disorder affecting the central nervous system of cattle. It is usually transmitted to cows via contaminated feed and has an incubation period in animals of four to six years.

Since it was first diagnosed in Great Britain in 1986, there have been more than 180,000 cases.

Eating meat from cows infected with the protein has been linked to variant Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease, a fatal brain disorder in humans.

Mad Cow Case In Texas (www.cnn.com/2005/HEALTH/06/29/mad.cow/index.html)

AP Panther Fan
06-30-2005, 09:21 AM
Oprah should be happy! Didn't she attack Texas cattle ranching a few years back?:mad:

District303aPastPlayer
06-30-2005, 09:26 AM
thats the first thing i thought of when i reread this earlier this morning

AP Panther Fan
06-30-2005, 09:37 AM
Originally posted by District303aPastPlayer
thats the first thing i thought of when i reread this earlier this morning

Great minds think alike.;) It has been so long ago, I can't remember many of the details though (heck, I can't even remember yesterday).:D

lepfan
06-30-2005, 09:51 AM
Originally posted by AP Panther Fan
Oprah should be happy! Didn't she attack Texas cattle ranching a few years back?:mad:

And that (years ago) has WHAT to do with the Mad Cow found in Texas this year????

AP Panther Fan
06-30-2005, 10:00 AM
Originally posted by lepfan
And that (years ago) has WHAT to do with the Mad Cow found in Texas this year????

nothing really...but apparently I am not the only one that thought of it.

District303aPastPlayer
06-30-2005, 10:01 AM
Originally posted by lepfan

she accused texas of having mad cow disesase infected cows or something

AP Panther Fan
06-30-2005, 10:06 AM
Here you go Aaron....you were right.

Thirteen states passed legislation prohibiting food product disparagement after the Alar (a chemical applied to apples) scare profoundly affected apple growers' sales and incomes in 1989. These are the so-called veggie libel laws.
Two large Texas cattle feeders and some business associates charged that false statements about the risks of mad cow disease (BSE) were made on the Oprah Winfrey syndicated television talk show on April 16, 1996. They claimed the statements disparaged the American cattle industry and the safety of American beef, causing millions of dollars in losses for themselves, and in some cases permanent loss of consumer confidence in beef products.
The trial took place January and February 1998 in Amarillo, Texas. The celebrity status of the defendant Oprah Winfrey and the first amendment issues in this case attracted national media coverage.

The April 16, 1996 Oprah Show
In a ten-minute segment about mad cow disease, the Oprah show guests and audience focused on the question could it happen here? The discussion focused on the mad cow disease in the United Kingdom and the possibility that it could be present in the United States.
The guests included:
1) Howard Lyman of the American Humane Society,
2) Dr. Gary Weber, National Cattlemen's Beef Association spokesperson, and
3) Dr. William Hueston, a USDA expert on BSE.
Both Weber and Hueston argued that U.S. beef was safe, reported on the steps taken to ensure that BSE would not occur in the United States, and said that BSE had never been found in the United States.
The defendants (Oprah Winfrey, Harpo Productions, Inc., Howard Lyman and King World Productions, Inc.) were charged with making false statements during the show. A statement by Lyman that drew particular criticism was "this disease could make AIDS look like the common cold".
Oprah Winfrey spontaneously said, "It has just stopped me cold from eating another burger."
In addition, Oprah Winfrey spontaneously said, "It has just stopped me cold from eating another burger."
The charges undoubtedly were also prompted by the $1.50 per cwt. (limit move) drop in the April live cattle futures contract on the day that the Oprah show was broadcast. In addition, cash prices for fed cattle dropped during the two weeks after the show.