PDA

View Full Version : Burnet's new High School

Old Dog
06-29-2005, 08:52 PM
Took a tour of Burnet's new high school this afternoon. I admit I'm a country hick, but it is absolutely awesome!!!!! Computer labs everywhere, top of the line classrooms wired for net and closed circuit, huge music and dance center, twin gyms, great food court and lunch area, fantastic theater and concert hall, good practice areas for the drill team and an outside amphitheater in the center of the complex plus a very large Vo Ag shop. Our tax bucks hard at work! Honestly, it was super and I'm a hard sell.

olddawggreen
06-29-2005, 09:02 PM
I havent taken the tour yet, but have heard it is really something. I had my oldest son walk me through the old high school on his graduation day, it was kind of sad, my class moved into it mid term our Sophmore year 1971, I believe. Man at the time it was brand new, designed after a school in San Angelo, and it seemed huge. As my son and I walked through it for the last time, it seemed really small, funny how time has a way of doing that. It was only fitting that I attended classes there the first year and my oldest son attended classes there the last year. My two younger boys will both graduate from the new one.

Old Tiger
06-29-2005, 09:02 PM
Will it be opened this school year or next school year?

bullfrog_alumni_02
06-29-2005, 09:06 PM
Originally posted by olddawggreen
I havent taken the tour yet, but have heard it is really something. I had my oldest son walk me through the old high school on his graduation day, it was kind of sad, my class moved into it mid term our Sophmore year 1971, I believe. Man at the time it was brand new, designed after a school in San Angelo, and it seemed huge. As my son and I walked through it for the last time, it seemed really small, funny how time has a way of doing that. It was only fitting that I attended classes there the first year and my oldest son attended classes there the last year. My two younger boys will both graduate from the new one. thats kinda sad:( but atleast you can say that you had somewhat of a dynasty at that school. the new campus sounds friggin awesome. congradulations on it.

LH Panther Mom
06-29-2005, 09:08 PM
:doh: As many times as I've been to & through Burnet in the last year, I didn't even realize you were getting a new one. Congrats!

Old Dog
06-29-2005, 09:09 PM
Super said it will open in August............man they have lots of work to do in a hurry.

KTJ
06-29-2005, 09:16 PM
Two rumors I heard from a guy who works in Burnet.

1.) You guys will never see 3A again. You'll stay 4A and could go 5A. (not too soon though.)

2.) However, the Burnet City Council is still in the good old boy system and doesn't want any businesses to move out there.

Ehh, either way, I'm sure the new high school is nice. Congrats.

Old Dog
06-29-2005, 09:19 PM
KTJ, Been here all my days and your number 1 & 2 are right on!!!

olddawggreen
06-29-2005, 10:11 PM
Originally posted by Tiger WR
Will it be opened this school year or next school year?

I understand it will be ready for classes this year, I also was told the old high school building will be shut down a couple of years while it is updated for Jr. High.

hitman
06-29-2005, 10:13 PM
Yes,it is very nice.I graduated in 79 in Burnet and have had the privilage of working on the new High School.My son will graduate in 06 and daughter will be a Freshman this coming year.The job is coming along quickly and the site is showing noticable changes daily.

olddawggreen
06-29-2005, 10:34 PM
Originally posted by KTJ
Two rumors I heard from a guy who works in Burnet.

1.) You guys will never see 3A again. You'll stay 4A and could go 5A. (not too soon though.)

2.) However, the Burnet City Council is still in the good old boy system and doesn't want any businesses to move out there.

Ehh, either way, I'm sure the new high school is nice. Congrats.

Your right about #2, but I personally think there is a very good chance that Burnet will see 3A again in the not so distant future. We will see what happens this fall, but at the opening of classes this last fall, the count was down to 905 from the 947 count used for the realignment. My numbers aren't 100%, but I think that of those 905, the Quest school probably adds 15 to 20 or more students. Quest is a 2nd chance school that is not part of Burnet High School, originally it accepted students from other surrounding school districts, it has a separate campus, separate graduation and its students do not qualify for extra ciricular activities such as athletics, band, ect.... Unfortunatly for Burnet, the Quest population had to be counted with the general student population for the realingnment. Basicly, take away Quest and Burnet is a school with 3A numbers playing in 4A. There is some talk that because the "Bang for the Buck" of the Quest program hasn't been all that great (ie not a great graduation rate for the number of $$ spent) that there is a possibility that the program could be discontinued. At this point this is all just talk, but who knows.

Its funny, if you talk to some of the city employees who are responsible for attracting new business to Burnet, you hear how huge the growth rate is in Burnet, but when you talk to some of the people more closely associated with the school system, you hear the numbers are down. Go figure :confused: :confused:

jason
06-29-2005, 10:35 PM
When is the indoor facility supposed to be built?

olddawggreen
06-29-2005, 10:39 PM
Hi jason, last I heard its still in the works, but don't know where it is in the schedule.

jason
06-29-2005, 10:40 PM
Do you know of any size dimensions?

Old Tiger
06-29-2005, 10:56 PM
Originally posted by olddawggreen
Hi jason, last I heard its still in the works, but don't know where it is in the schedule. ODG, tell Cecil to roll out the dough!!!

20dawgz05
06-30-2005, 05:52 PM
i just feel sorry for them b/c now they have closed campus lunch!! haha awwww gee poor '06!!!!

Old Tiger
06-30-2005, 05:53 PM
That does suck!

20dawgz05
06-30-2005, 06:00 PM
safer for other ppl i swear our '06 class cant drive like everyday after lunch i would hear someone complain about how 06 drove

LH Panther Mom
06-30-2005, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by 20dawgz05
i just feel sorry for them b/c now they have closed campus lunch!! haha awwww gee poor '06!!!!

I heard the closed campus is due to the trouble '05 got into. :p j/k

We've had closed campus lunch for years.

Old Tiger
06-30-2005, 06:12 PM
You're probably right LHPM :D

20dawgz05
06-30-2005, 07:41 PM
haha noooo......

c-town_balla
06-30-2005, 09:30 PM
Man I handg dry earase boards and we hung the ones at y'all school and I don't know of its niceness as when i went in it didn't have all the stuff yet but the lay-out if odd. anyone know why?

hitman
06-30-2005, 11:13 PM
Now the working class will be able to find the line at Subway much shorter:clap:

hitman
06-30-2005, 11:18 PM
It wont be so bad for them.There is a food court with six different kinds of food,all with multiple menu items,a dessert selection,and a drink center.They can dine inside or sit out under the covered dining area.Its really nice.

hitman
07-01-2005, 04:16 PM
Talk about bad drving?My wife and I were nearly run off the road by one of those 05 cheerleaders.I dont think its just an 06 thing its more of a young driver thing.:D

Ranger Mom
07-01-2005, 10:44 PM
I know the feeling about teenage drivers. When I was in Marble Falls a couple of weeks ago, 20dawgz05 took me to Sonic with her and some of her friends.

I swear, when we pulled out of there, I saw my life flash before my eyes!

LOL...love ya Charli!!:inlove:

espn1
07-02-2005, 09:24 AM
I'm anxious to see the new school. Anybody know the tour schedules?

mwynn05
07-02-2005, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by espn1
I'm anxious to see the new school. Anybody know the tour schedules? I'm sure in August they will have a ground breaking ceremony that will be a pretty big deal.

Old Dog
07-02-2005, 11:58 AM
Mr. Powell said the tour schedule is over, but there will be an open house in early August along with the grand opening.

20dawgz05
07-03-2005, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
I know the feeling about teenage drivers. When I was in Marble Falls a couple of weeks ago, 20dawgz05 took me to Sonic with her and some of her friends.

I swear, when we pulled out of there, I saw my life flash before my eyes!

LOL...love ya Charli!!:inlove:
hey i had plenty of time to go and be out of the way lol!!!!!.... and there were only two '05 girls on the squad and i know it wasnt me!!!!