PDA

View Full Version : Lets All Go Out And Protest Animal Cruelty At The Houston Stock Show & Rodeo!

olddawggreen
06-29-2005, 12:11 PM
Just found this, wow, and while were on the subject, what about the leather on those darn footballs, and baseballs and basketballs and....... I guess golf is ok

OPPOSE RODEO ANIMAL CRUELTY

Houston Animal Rights Team will protest the Houston Livestock Show & Rodeo the next three weekends. The Saturday & Sunday concerts at Reliant Stadium start at 4 p.m.. Many attendees will arrive on the east side of Reliant Park by bus & train.

The rodeo protests will be on Fannin @ Holly Hall, 2:30 p.m. - 4:30 p.m. on:

Saturdays
March 6th, 13th & 20th

Sundays
March 7th, 14th & 21st

click here for a navigable map

For information on rodeo cruelty visit: www.bucktherodeo.com or www.idausa.org/facts/rodeos.html

WHAT IS HART?
The Houston Animal Rights Team is an established 18 year old, fully non-profit organisation dedicated to bringing closer the day when humans respect all animals by valuing their well being as individuals. We focus on positive, friendly outreach with the purpose of infoming and reminding people of the suffering that animals are subjected to by our society.

We work alongside other progressive groups and are members of a number of alliances, including the Texas Gulf Coast Action Coalition (www.ecoethics.info), Houston Peace and Justice Center (/www.hpjc.org), National Forest Protect Alliance (www.forestadvocate.org), and the Citizens' Environmental Coalition (www.cechouston.org).

Along with others in the community, HART successfully lobbied city and county government to end pound seizure in Houston, a cruel practise in which former pets left at the pound were taken to be used for animal 'research' including frivolous work done to prevent lawsuits and carelessly assigned practise surgery at medical schools. Click here for a 1999 news article on the pound seizure campaign. In 2000 and 2001 HART provided the core of the collective that put together the Radical Education Community gatherings in Huntsville, Texas, which brought together dozens of activists from nearly as many movements across the state for three days of intense activist training and co-education.

In January 2003, HART orchestrated Houston's One Struggle conference, which brought together many activists from many movements to help us all realize the commonalities between all who work for justice. Representatives from across the country spoke about human rights, the native american movement, anarchist theory, union struggles, explotation of public lands, and many other important issues. Perhaps most importantly in this day and age, attendees learned about the implications that supposedly anti-terrorist measures have for people working against the interests of the powers that be. Training classes taught such skills as working with the media, peaceful civil disobedience, and other skills important to causing social change.

Over the last 18 years HART has particpated actively in numerous PETA campaigns, including the successful campaign asking major meat vendors including McDonalds, Burger King, and Wendy's to require minimal slaughterhouse requirements on the part of their meat suppliers. These very basic rules, like for example requiring that all animal slaughtered must be mentally dead before being dismembered, and that chickens should have enough room in their battery cages to actually turn around in the cages they spend their entire life trapped inside of. In 2000, HART co-launched the Randall's phase of this campaign with PETA in Houston. It was in part HART's promise to agressively protest and educate the public about Randalls' choice if they did not comply that caused their immediate acquiescence. In 1993 HART organised a massive protest that brought hundreds of people to the shareholder meeting of Estee Lauder that helped lead to that company's ending the cruel testing of their animal products on animals.

HART has regularly supported the Neiman Carcass campaignwww.neimancarcass.comsince 1998. Click here to read a 1999 Houston Chronicle article on this campaign. Click here to see photos of just a few of the dozens of demonstrations. Protests against Galleria-area furriers (which are particularly absurd given Houston's climate) have been organised by HART many times nearly every year since at least 1992. As a result of our efforts as well as those of animal rights activists everywhere, Sakowitz furs has shrunk to less than a third of the size it was ten years ago.

HART has worked for many years in its campaign asking the Houston Rodeo to drop the cruel calf roping events from their lineup, in which young calves are made to run away in fear so that young cowboys and girls can toss a rope around their neck and jerk them back suddenly, a move that inevitably results in much suffering and harm for the poor calves. To read a 2003 Houston Chronicle article on this subject, click here. .

Of course, the events about are just a small sampling of the hundreds of events HART has organised over the years. For a more complete (but by all means, not exhaustive) list, click here.

WHO IS HART
Who is HART? HART is you. We work to be open to everyone who wants to work for the betterment of animals. We can provide promotion, contacts, and resources to help you in your efforts. The only requirement is that official HART events must be approved by a collectice process, which may take place on our mailing lists or in our fully open-to-the-public meetings. For example, if you would like to table at a festval, concert, or other event, we can provide you with a complete collection of flyers and other materials promoting animal rights. We just need to know who you are so we know you won't run off with the stuff. A great way to get involved is to attend an event and introduce yourself to the other members of the collective.

NEW CONDUCT GUIDELINES
To help our group be more effective and maintain the respect of the community, we ask that all those who attend HART events follow these guidelines. These codes protect the group, but more importantly protect you as a politically active citizen.

1.) Act and speak with respect towards everyone. It does not help animals to purposelessly make anyone dislike us or see us as an enemy.

2.) Physical violence and swearing is unacceptable, as it clearly violates guideline #1. We are nonviolent and believe that violence is nonproductive in the struggle for justice.

3.) Don't come to events under the influence of any drug. Absolutely do not bring narcotics, alcohol, or any drug or paraphernalia to an event. This sort of thing undermines clear thinking and might endanger us all.

4.) Never steal on behalf of HART. We are a registered non-profit and must abide by the laws when accepting gifts and support.

5.) A representative of HART must, to the extent possible, express the views of the collective organisation.

6.) At meetings, all views and people are welcome. However, to help animals the most members need to think about the impression their words and actions give to others, especially new members. We need to give a good impression to new members and the public. We need to make new members feel welcome and liked.

7.) HART members should not pressure other members or make them feel their beliefs and values are unacceptable, unless it specifically endangers the group's political freedom.

8.) Never give private information out to anyone on any other member (your sister, wife/husband, or best friend); information about HART members and supporters is private and privileged.

Houston Animal Rights Team (HART) Disclaimer:
The views expressed herein are not necessarily those of the board of directors, contributors, nor volunteer staff. The HART website does not intend to encourage illegal/unethical activity or behavior. The information herein is solely intended for entertainment, educational, research, academic, or other lawful purposes and is from sources independent of HART. HART's mission is to explain and understand the many actions that are occuring in the animal rights movement. Furthermore, the information contained herein is neither guaranteed, nor warranted to be complete, accurate or reliable.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Houston Animal Rights Team | PO Box 66282 Houston TX 77006
phone: 800.204.2813 | email: info@houstonanimalrights.com

LH Panther Mom
06-29-2005, 12:28 PM
Maybe we could have a little M&G outside the grounds. Anyone have a smoker on a trailer we could use for a little barbeque?

Gobbla2001
06-29-2005, 12:45 PM
The Cowboys try to make up with the animals by letting one of their own (the Bull) knock 'em around while they try to play poker...

I'm glad the chickens can turn around in their cages now, that is pretty cruel... But roping a calf? That's tradition, part of Texas Heritage, if they don't like it they can get out... or something...

JasperDog94
06-29-2005, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by olddawggreen
2.) Physical violence and swearing is unacceptable, as it clearly violates guideline #1. We are nonviolent and believe that violence is nonproductive in the struggle for justice.
Cool. Does that mean that I can calmly walk up to a member, knock the stuffing out of one of them, and then remind them as they are scraping themselves off the ground that they are nonviolent and then repeat as desired?:devil:

Old Dog
06-29-2005, 03:21 PM
Label me a dumb-a$$, but is this thread for real?

I feel like I accidently stepped on a land mine....damn I didn't see that one coming!

NHSRattler60
06-29-2005, 05:08 PM
For every animal the HART saves, I'm gonna eat 3. How's that for cruelty? Knowing that the more you save, the more will fall at the hands of me.

JHS_c/o_06'
06-29-2005, 05:09 PM
or we could not.....

bullfrog_alumni_02
06-29-2005, 05:52 PM
dont get me wrong, im all for not harming animals WHENEVER possible. but dont infringe on my rights to go to a rodeo, participate in a rodeo, eat meat, wrestle w/ my dog or just plain ole go for a good hunt. i will leave my personal feelings about animal rights groups out of this discussion, so ill leave you alone if you leave me alone.

olddawggreen
06-29-2005, 07:45 PM
8.) Never give private information out to anyone on any other member (your sister, wife/husband, or best friend); information about HART members and supporters is private and privileged.

Man, I wonder what Bonehead member posted their plan on the internet? :doh: Wonder what their going to do to them when they catch them, most likely won't let them have any lettuce or tofu for a month. :(

olddawggreen
06-29-2005, 07:52 PM
Originally posted by Old Dog
Label me a dumb-a$$, but is this thread for real?

I feel like I accidently stepped on a land mine....damn I didn't see that one coming!

Yep Old Dog, its for real. I came across this when I was doing some research for another project. This is one of many groups like it that are actively working to restrict and eventually do away all together with many of the things that many of us love and take for granted. For many of these people its just a cool thing to do, for others its their whole life. Fortunatly most of these groups are pretty good at shooting themselves (non violently of course) in their own foot. Pretty scarey stuff though.:eek:

bullfrog_alumni_02
06-29-2005, 07:59 PM
Yep Old Dog, its for real. I came across this when I was doing some research for another project. This is one of many groups like it that are actively working to restrict and eventually do away all together with many of the things that many of us love and take for granted. For many of these people its just a cool thing to do, for others its their whole life. Fortunatly most of these groups are pretty good at shooting themselves (non violently of course) in their own foot. Pretty scarey stuff though.:eek: ODG, im confused, where do you stand on this subject. at first i thought you were posting this to get supporters to help you protest or something, but reading your last two posts, its not real clear what your intentions are...:confused:

Gobbla2001
06-29-2005, 08:05 PM
Originally posted by bullfrog_alumni_02
ODG, im confused, where do you stand on this subject. at first i thought you were posting this to get supporters to help you protest or something, but reading your last two posts, its not real clear what your intentions are...:confused:

I believe that the origional post was made in a sarcastic way... this being Texas, he would have most likely tried to 'work' his way into his argument before actually 'presenting' it...

that just me though ha

bullfrog_alumni_02
06-29-2005, 08:14 PM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
I believe that the origional post was made in a sarcastic way... this being Texas, he would have most likely tried to 'work' his way into his argument before actually 'presenting' it...

that just me though ha this is the impression i got after his last few posts. but i wasnt sure. but my goodness i cant tell you how much animal rights activist groups burn my brisket.:mad: anyway, thanks for clearing that up and ODG, thanks for not switching to the dark side.

Old Dog
06-29-2005, 08:34 PM
ODG, sorry I really wasn't sure when I read that thing the first time as to where you were coming from. Scared the crap out of me..........really thought it was involving you!!!!!!!!!! Sorry I'm so naive.

Phantom Stang
06-29-2005, 08:45 PM
Uhh... I knew he was being sarcastic.:doh: :hand:

olddawggreen
06-29-2005, 08:49 PM
ODG, im confused, where do you stand on this subject. at first i thought you were posting this to get supporters to help you protest or something, but reading your last two posts, its not real clear what your intentions are...:confused:

Im a bonafied hunter, meat eater, NRA Life Member, ex bull rider, rancher, ect, ect...... I love, respect and tread gently on nature, I am a steward of the land, but will put up one humongus fight if some one tells me I cannot hunt, fish, eat meat, fish or poultry, wear my leather boots, belt or what ever. I just thought it was interesting to get an inside view of one of these groups and wanted to post this to remind every one that there really are people like this out there that are actively working to take away your rights. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

bullfrog_alumni_02
06-29-2005, 08:50 PM
Im a bonafied hunter, meat eater, NRA Life Member, ex bull rider, rancher, ect, ect...... I love, respect and tread gently on nature, I am a steward of the land, but will put up one humongus fight if some one tells me I cannot hunt, fish, eat meat, fish or poultry, wear my leather boots, belt or what ever. I just thought it was interesting to get an inside view of one of these groups and wanted to post this to remind every one that there really are people like this out there that are actively working to take away your rights. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: im sorry i was mistaken at first, but again, thanks for clearing it up w/ me

Old Dog
06-29-2005, 09:00 PM
Cool ODG, I had thought you were on the "people first" side of the fence, but I assume I was looking thru my thick lens when I first saw that (you know I forget my sense of humor)!

slpybear the bullfan
06-29-2005, 10:23 PM
ROFLMAO... Wow... If any of these members of HART are ProChoice I think they are BOGUS.

I too vote for meat, hunting, BBQ Smokers, and leather seats in TAHOES... (thank the good Lord!)

...better sign off before I get political! ;)

PS - My sig says it all...

bullfrog_alumni_02
06-29-2005, 11:04 PM
[i]PS - My sig says it all... [/B]

you got that right!!! i laugh every time i read that.

CHS_CG
06-29-2005, 11:10 PM
you got that right!!! i laugh every time i read that.

i get hungry every time i see his sig!

gobbler84
06-29-2005, 11:12 PM
Am I the only one who thought the first post was just a little bit much to read!

bullfrog_alumni_02
06-29-2005, 11:16 PM
Originally posted by gobbler84
Am I the only one who thought the first post was just a little bit much to read! i thought that, i never read any brainwashing propaganda put out by activist groups anyway. its all a bunch of hogwash anyway. i usually just wait for others to finish then elaborate on what they now believe to the deepest trenches of their heart and soul. (that usually is only the case when you read the pamphlets that they hand out...):D

gobbler84
06-29-2005, 11:18 PM
i thought that, i never read any brainwashing propaganda put out by activist groups anyway. its all a bunch of hogwash anyway. i usually just wait for others to finish then elaborate on what they now believe to the deepest trenches of their heart and soul. (that usually is only the case when you read the pamphlets that they hand out...):D

lol