PDA

View Full Version : Draft Round-Up and Grades

District303aPastPlayer
06-29-2005, 08:19 AM
NBA Draft Grades

Milwaukee Bucks: Andrew Bogut, Ersan Ilyasova

Grade: A

Milwaukee makes the right pick taking Bogut, and essentially getting themselves a good center for years to come. They also got a good SF in Ersan Ilyasova.

Atlanta Hawks: Marvin Williams, Salim Stoudamire, Cenk Akyol.

Grade:C

While I like Marvin Williams a whole lot, Atlanta has Childress, Josh Smith, Donta Smith, and Al Harrington as forwards, and their need at PG is much bigger than another forward. With their second round pick they had a chance to get Leni-Ukic and passed it up for Salim. If Salim is indeed their starting PG, Atlanta will realize how big of a mistake they made not going PG early.

Utah Jazz: Deron Williams, CJ Miles, Robert Whaley.

Grade:A

Utah gets their guy in Deron Williams, who fits in very well with what Jerry Sloan wants done. CJ Miles is the only smart high schooler, he didn't hire an agent, he didn't get taken in the first round, and he'll be going to UT alongside future NBA lotto picks Daniel Gibson and Lamarcus Aldridge. Utah won't see CJ for a few years, but choosing him in the second round, keeping his rights, and letting him develop at UT for a year or two is going to be great for both parties. Getting CJ and letting him develop is like getting a lotto pick in 06 or 07, great job by Utah.

New Orleans Hornets: Chris Paul, Brandon Bass.

Grade:B-

Hornets get a great guy in Chris Paul, him and J.R Smith will be very exciting for years to come. However, with guys like PJ Brown and David West down low, they should of gone with an SF.

Charlotte Bobcats: Raymond Felton, Sean May.

Charlotte gets the top two performers from the UNC Championship team, the chemistry will benefit this team greatly. They still need a SG, but they can address that in free agency.

Portland Trailblazers: Martell Webster, Jarret Jack.

Grade: B-

I think if Portland would of been better off with Gerald Green than Martell Webster, but he was their guy and they got him. Portland is full of talent at every position now by adding Jack, but they always have talent and never seem to get it together, so to expect they'd do it next year would be a stretch.

Toronto Raptors: Charlie Villanueva, Joey Graham, Roko Leni Ukic, Uros Slokar.

Grade:C-

Now I wanted really bad to give Toronto an F, but they got a late round steal in Ukic, finally addressing their PG need, so they get a C-. They needed to get another guy to play down low with Bosh, but taking Villanueva so high was a stretch. They passed on Gerald Green twice, and that is something they'll be kicking themselves for later, along with a lot of other moves.

New York Knicks: Channing Frye, David Lee, Nate Robinson.

When will the New York collection of undersized power forwards stop? My goodness, their overflowing with them. Frye is a nice pick, he'll be a lot more solid than people expected. Robinson is a explosive guy who will bring a lot of excitement to Madison Square Garden, he'll be one of those guys that its hard to put him in because you won't want to take him out, but your paying Stephon 20 million.

Golden State Warriors: Ike Diogu, Monta Ellis, Chris Taft.

Grade:B+

Ike Diogu at 9 is one of the smartest picks of the draft. The guy is the best low block player in the draft offensively, and has a wingspan of a 7 footer. Taking a high scoring threat like Monta Ellis at 40 is a good pick. And at 42, getting a guy who is a potential lotto pick isn't a bad choice either, its just too bad that the guy is lazy and will find himself out of the league if he doesn't get his head on straight.

Los Angeles Lakers: Andrew Bynum, Ronny Turiaf, Von Wafer.

Grade:B

Phil wanted a center and he got one. It just happens that by the time his contract is expiring this guy will be coming into his own. Lakers just couldn't pass up on a talent like Bynum. He'll find himself in a lot better position than Curry or Diop because he's in a great system, with a great player in Kobe Bryant. He won't be expected to carry this team anytime soon, and his development will progress faster because of that. Turiaf is a first round talent who found himself in just a very deep draft. He WILL make this Laker team, as his rebounding and hustling will get him some good minutes on this Laker squad next year. Von Wafer is a former high school all american who found himself at a horrible program at FSU, he's a Phil type guard at 6'5. Finished 2nd to Lebron in high school dunk contest and dropped 30 on Chris Paul and Wake Forest.

Orlando Magic: Fran Vasquez, Travis Diener, Marcin Gortat.

Orlando gets a ready to play big man at the 4 spot, which could work out nicely if they do indeed move Howard to the 5. Travis Diener could be a nice guy off the bench, but he's very weak and that will hurt him. They shipped off Martynas for a future 2nd from Cleveland and got Gortat, who will have to work to make the squad.

Los Angeles Clippers: Yaroslav Korolev, Daniel Ewing.

The Clippers go with an unproven against top talent SF at 12, which is just not smart. They get a guy who could do good backing up Livingston and Maggette, but its still not enough to cancel out the fact that they messed up at 12.

Minnesota Timberwolves: Rashad McCants, Bracey Wright.

Timberwolves needed some good perimeter players and they got them in McCants and Wright. Both guys should do very well with all the attention that KG will be getting.

New Jersey Nets: Antoine Wright, Mile Ilic.

Grade:C+

New Jersey had some holes down low that they could of filled and they didn't. Wright is good, but not what they really needed. Ilic is just like Kristic, but they needed a solid PF here, not another soft Center.

Indiana Pacers: Danny Granger, Erazem Lorbek.

Grade:B+

Getting a guy with the versatility of Granger at 17 is a great grab. They also got a nice project at Lorbek who can stay overseas or play in the NBDL to develop, and maybe be a nice backup for Jermaine one day.

Boston Celtics: Gerald Green, Ryan Gomes, Oriene Green

Excellent draft for the Celtics. They get one of the top athletes in the draft at 18 and two proven collegiate players. Boston got 3 guys who can contribute right out of the gate, they continue to do a great job in the draft, and it will show in a matter of one or two years.

Memphis Grizzlies: Hakeem Warrick, Lawrence Roberts.

Grade: B+

Needing to fill the role of high flying big guy left by Stromile Swift, Memphis takes Hakeem, one of the top athletes at 19. Lawrence Roberts is also a nice pickup.

Denver Nuggets: Julius Hodge, Linas Kleiza, Ricky Sanchez, Alex Herville.

Grade:C+

Denver needed a 2 guard who can shoot, and didn't get one. Julius is a very versatile guy who can play the 1, 2, and 3 but he is not a very good shooter to say the least. They got another good post guy in Kleiza, and a good talent in Sanchez, but didn't really address their needs well enough. Herville probably won't make the squad.

Phoenix Suns: Dijon Thompson.

Suns don't get a young low block player like they needed to, but they get a solid backup for Joe Johnson. Pick wasn't really in their hands, but they should of asked New York to go with a block player instead.

Sacramento Kings: Francisco Garcia.

Sacramento needed a SG and they get a good one in Garcia, with big game college experience. He'll find himself on the court a lot more than Kevin Martin did his freshman year.

Houston Rockets: Luther Head.

Rockets needed a perimeter defender and a low block player, they got neither. While Head's versatility and experience should help him get some playing time, Houston had other directions they needed to go with this pick.

Seattle Supersonics: Johan Petro, Micael Gelabale.

Seattle has the looming departures of their two starting big men, so they go big with this pick. Johan is a good center and should find himself getting major minutes on this Seattle squad, as long as he can beat out Swift, which shouldn't be too hard. They also get a nice Sf out of France who is a good athlete.

Detroit Pistons - Jason Maxiell, Amir Johnson, Alex Axer.

Grade:B-

I love the choice of Jason Maxiell, he fits right in with the tough and gritty big men that Detroit already has. However, this choice to me seems like they've given up on Darko, so that's a waste of a number 2 pick. They also take another big but extremely thin guy in Mr. California Basketball Amir Johnson. He's got a lot of weight to gain, I see him developing in the NBDL next year. Alex Axer is a good guard, but he probably won't make the team. Detroit didn't address their biggest issue however, a backup for Tayshaun..

San Antonio Spurs: Ian Mahinmi

Grade:Incomplete

Can't grade the Spurs on a pick that won't play for them for a few years. Its safe to say that he'll probably end up improving greatly overseas or wherever and comes back and has a big impact like all the the Spurs picks, but for right now they get an incomplete.

Miami Heat: Wayne Simien

Miami gets a proven 4 man who can come in right away and contribute. He'll benefit greatly like all 4s playing alongside Shaquille.

Philadelphia 76ers: Louis Williams.

Surprising the guy people compared him to is the guy he'll be going at in practice everyday. If Louis can play the 1, he'll find himself getting good minutes on this squad. But he hasn't shown he can, so its likely he'll be taking notes on AI from the bench for the majority of next season.

District303aPastPlayer
06-29-2005, 08:20 AM
Cleveland Cavaliers: Martynas Andriuskevicius

Hopefully Cavaliers aren't hoping Martynas can replace Z, because he can't. If this is the guy they plan to play at the C for the next coming years, they'll be looking for a new superstar, because Lebron would be miserable with this guy.

Washington Wizards: Andray Blatche

Andray is an exceptional talent that should be able to get some minutes with the Wizards, he'll just need to work hard.

And on a final note, I'd like to say that I got 5 picks right in my first round mock draft, and I'd just like to say that it takes really hard work to be that far off at something. ;) And on my article Thursday roundup I stated that Jonathan Bender to LA was a done deal, and it looks like it is not, and I have some explaining to do. This deal was reported as done all over sports talk radio in LA and also at Hoopsworld.com, so I assumed it was. I was wrong in reporting it so early and feel very embarrassed by the bad decision made on my part, and I promise I will never write or talk about premature reports again, my apologies. Also, I wanna say a word or two about undrafted guys like Keleena Azuibuke, Randolph Morris, Shavlik Randolph, and Chuck Hayes. I felt Morris should of been drafted, I was shocked when he wasn't. I wish Azuibuke stayed at Kentucky. Hayes is a really great guy, the story about how close he is with his autistic brother is a great story, and I hope he finds a NBA team. And Shavlik Randolph, staying in the draft was just downright stupid.

Written by yanniisk . (Link to this entry)

shellman54
06-29-2005, 10:17 AM
I don't understand, help me. houston needs a perimeter defender, but they were third in the NBA in points allowed per game? i think luther head was an excellent choice. he will fill the point guard spot nicely. the only other choice i would have made there would have been for wayne simien, but his injuries as of late have really caused his stock to fall.