PDA

View Full Version : LaGrange Softball Job

registered
06-27-2005, 10:31 AM
You heard it here first ---

Billy Hicks, head softball coach at Sweeny High School, accepted the head softball position at LaGrange High School this morning. He was also a finalist for the position at Baytown Sterling and chose LaGrange over Baytown. Good luck to Coach Hicks!! The Lady Leps will continue to do well.

Old Tiger
06-27-2005, 11:14 AM
Good luck at LG.

Phil C
06-27-2005, 11:32 AM
Good luck Coach (except if you play Sinton which wouldn't be until State finals). Glad to hear the good news!

lepfan
06-27-2005, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by registered
You heard it here first ---

Billy Hicks, head softball coach at Sweeny High School, accepted the head softball position at LaGrange High School this morning. He was also a finalist for the position at Baytown Sterling and chose LaGrange over Baytown. Good luck to Coach Hicks!! The Lady Leps will continue to do well.

Congrats Coach Hicks. This program is one who will make noise for a few years to come.

I did not keep up with this one...who else was in the running?

18handicap
06-27-2005, 01:24 PM
Thanks for the well wishes!!! I was wondering how long it would take for this to hit the discussion!

Old Green
06-27-2005, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by 18handicap
Thanks for the well wishes!!! I was wondering how long it would take for this to hit the discussion! I was wondering if that was you. Congrats Coach.:clap: :clap:

LH Panther Mom
06-27-2005, 02:42 PM
Congrats on the move, Coach. :clap:

GOFOR2
06-27-2005, 05:27 PM
Thanks for the well wishes!!! I was wondering how long it would take for this to hit the discussion!

really.
r u that self-centered and egotistical?

18handicap
06-27-2005, 05:34 PM
Wait a second, you know me better than that!!!! LOL!!

I was wondering how long one of my relatives who likes to post on here would take to post about my change in position. I would rather he didn't and I could go about my work quietly like I have done in the past. In fact, I see it was about 20 minutes after I told him about the new position that he posted the message. If it wasn't for his slow computer, it might have been posted in 5 minutes, but when you still use a computer from 1993, well we all know how slow those are now!! LOL!!

AP Panther Fan
06-27-2005, 05:47 PM
In fact, I see it was about 20 minutes after I told him about the new position that he posted the message.

LOL...he worked as quickly as he could! :D

Congratulations!:)

Old Cardinal
06-27-2005, 05:54 PM
What a great guy to lead the Leps. Billy has all of our admiration--he is really good for the whole LG program.
I think I would have chosen LG over the other position also. LG won the State Championship by a score of 7-1 and the dream team is back again next season. The rest of Region III will be potent again but LG is the clear leader with those returnees and one of Texas' top SB Coaches at the helm!

scrub c
06-28-2005, 06:47 AM
congrats 18 !

hope we can meet at the state tourney again. (you wont need that ladder next year LOL) ! that was awesome!

18handicap
06-28-2005, 11:05 AM
Thanks!! I hope to be out on the field also. I still have the Lady Necks State Championship sign that some fans from WC left in the back of my truck. I think I'll let my new girls look at it and help me decide what to do with it.....lol

lepfan
06-28-2005, 08:05 PM
I still have the Lady Necks State Championship sign that some fans from WC left in the back of my truck. I think I'll let my new girls look at it and help me decide what to do with it.....lol

Motivation man...motivation!!

GOFOR2
06-28-2005, 08:21 PM
Thanks!! I hope to be out on the field also. I still have the Lady Necks State Championship sign that some fans from WC left in the back of my truck. I think I'll let my new girls look at it and help me decide what to do with it.....lol

who's filling your old job?

18handicap
06-28-2005, 09:04 PM
I don't know. I haven't seen it posted either so they might stay inside. As soon as I know, I'll post it. I have to meet with some people from buyowner.com in the morning and then will probably go down there and finish doing my inventory and cleaning out my stuff.

registered
06-28-2005, 11:00 PM
Sweeny's Hicks moving on to La Grange

By Joel Luna
The Facts

Published June 29, 2005

SWEENY — Billy Hicks has manned the dugout for the Lady Bulldogs for the last four seasons, and coached at Brazosport for four years before that. His familiar face will be missing from the Brazoria County sports scene next season, however, as the coach has announ-ced he is moving on to La Grange in the fall.

Continuing a winning tradition for Sweeny softball, Hicks led the Lady Bulldogs to the playoffs in three of his four seasons. In 2002, Hicks led the team to the region finals, finishing with a 30-8 record.

La Grange just won a state championship, defeating Columbia for the 3A crown. The game was the last for retiring coach Sharon Vinklarek.

Hicks said the opportunity seemed like a step in the right direction for his career.

“I knew the coach from La Grange was going to retire, so when the state playoffs were over, I talked to the officials from there and we agreed on a mutual agreement,” Hicks said. “I thought these girls at Sweeny played well this season even though we fell short of our goal. I know they have a lot of kids coming back, but the challenge of taking a team back to state was hard for me to pass up. I know there will be high expectations, but I was impressed with their attitude of the program.”

Hicks finishes a four-year Sweeny run with an 82-47 record, including a 17-15 mark this year. He finished 16-13 in 2003 and 19-11 in 2004.

“We made a lot of good progress in the program and had a lot of good kids,” Hicks said. “The potential is there for the winning to continue at Sweeny, although they might suffer a bit in pitching because Alicia (Bonner) is a senior and the No. 2 pitcher is going elsewhere.”

Hicks also was a finalist for the Baytown Sterling position, but decided on La Grange.

In 17 season as a head coach, Hicks has a 330-192 record. He started in 1987 In Louisiana at West Bank Cathedral High School, moved on to Boothville High in Louisiana and then came to Texas to coach at Snyder High School before heading to Brazosport and eventually Sweeny.

“He’s been in the playoffs 15 of the last 17 years, and from the people we talked to we heard he runs a first-class program,” La Grange athletic director Wayne Walker said. “Anytime that you can get that kind of expertise you go after him. Expectations will be high here, but I believe Billy was looking for that and he is the type of person that can get it done.”

Though Sweeny fell short of the playoffs by one game this year, the Lady Bulldogs played in arguably the toughest district in the state. District 25-3A included 2004 state finalist Wharton, and this season’s state finalist Columbia and region finalist Needville.

“This was the (most fun) team that I have coached because they all got along so well,” Hicks said. “I’ve been blessed with good kids here at Sweeny and the community has been outstanding. I remember the first year we rolled into the playoffs we had a mountain of support in every playoff game. It is hard to leave because one gets attached to the kids.”

Sweeny athletics director Tommy Zajicek said there has already been some interest in the vacancy.

“Over the next week or so we are hoping to fill the position from the people that have inquired about it,” Zajicek said. “The hard thing about losing Billy is that he cared for those girls. He had great rapport, and that is always a good sign for a coach. The girls respected that and they loved playing for him. He upgraded the facilities with lots of work with the booster club and with the great tradition we have in softball here. He did a fine job and is leaving us in good hands.”

RiverRatDad
06-29-2005, 07:29 AM
Good choice coach. You will enjoy La Grange and continue their winning ways. I guess since the Wed night games have been cancelled you decided to pick up your toys and leave.
GOOD LUCK Billy!

BU97
06-30-2005, 12:22 AM
Originally posted by RiverRatDad
Good choice coach. You will enjoy La Grange and continue their winning ways. I guess since the Wed night games have been cancelled you decided to pick up your toys and leave.
GOOD LUCK Billy!

Big O leaves town and now 18 decides he has to hit the road too. I guess he couldn't bare the thought of being so close and have nothing to do on Wed night! Remember it is not that long of a drive from LG so we'll expect to see you from time to time if we can find a new place to play. I bet it won't be a "slick's" new place, at least if it is I won't be going, I don't like being whistled at!

Good luck BH @ LG!