PDA

View Full Version : Another newspaper article on DCTF

HighSchool Fan
06-24-2005, 08:55 AM
By Todd Hutchinson
Herald Democrat

Dave Campbell's Texas Football hits newsstands officially Friday and according to the magazine's picks, area teams need to keep their playoff expectations low.

Readers should do the same. This, the 46th edition, leaves a lot to be desired.

Sherman and Denison don't need to make any plans, although Gainesville, Pilot Point, Bonham and Van Alstyne should prepare for a longer season. Turmoil and coaching turnover are ingredients for a winner in Pilot Point, I guess.

Celina was picked preseason No. 2 in the state in 2A, which is no surprise. Whitewright, Gunter and Tom Bean are picked 1-2-3 in District 15-2A.

In Class A, Wolfe City and Celeste are picked 1-2 in District 17.

The picks were made by Carl Padilla, of the Padilla Poll, that runs in newspapers around the state, according to Texas Football Magazine.

During a Google search, an article popped up where Padilla said he attended 65 games during the 2003 season.

Just doing the math, if Padilla watched a game Thursday, Friday and Saturday during the 11-week season and then watched three per week on Thursday, Friday and Saturday during the six weeks of playoffs, he would see 51 games. Even if you added in two kickoff classic games, he would see 53 games.

Not to say Padilla didn't see 65 games, I don't know how he could have accomplished it since probably 95 percent of the games are played at 7:30 on Friday night.

I use that example to highlight what's wrong with the 2005 edition Texas Football.

Sometimes when changes are made, they aren't always seen as positive. The magazine's breaking out of their high school rankings while putting the district team notes in alphabetical order is one of them. The system was easy to understand and had survived 45 previous editions.

Dave Campbell's alludes to a shakeup in the managing editor's position. Houston Chronicle assistant sports editor David Barron was replaced by Jake Shaw, all because the magazine's owners, Host Communications in Kentucky, wanted a full-time managing editor. That is their right to restructure, but I just don't see pushing away from 25 years of experience with the magazine, which the company did by replacing Barron.

Shaw did some good work while he was in Texoma at Bonham, but at 26, he doesn't have the experience necessary to handle what has become a Texas sports institution. Shaw can grow into the job, but I have to question why Host would hand over the publication of the magazine to someone with such limited experience in the business.

Dave Campbell's Texas Football enjoys a lofty status with football fans, especially high school football fans. It should. Its reputation has been earned through 45 years of doing things right.

I'm hoping 2005 is just an example of growing pains and the magazine comes back stronger in its 47th edition.

Gobbla2001
06-24-2005, 12:48 PM
Dang, this guy is going insane...

There are so many more classics than just 'kick-off' classics... The Gordon wood classic is one of those...

I myself saw 21 games this year in 16 days, and it could have been A LOT more... Saw 3 on a Friday in the early rounds of the playoffs... If I would have stuck around the next day, I would have seen 3 more... 6 games in 2 days... And that was already the 3rd round...

The numbers are there, this dude has blinders on...

kepdawg
06-24-2005, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
Dang, this guy is going insane...

There are so many more classics than just 'kick-off' classics... The Gordon wood classic is one of those...

I myself saw 21 games this year in 16 days, and it could have been A LOT more... Saw 3 on a Friday in the early rounds of the playoffs... If I would have stuck around the next day, I would have seen 3 more... 6 games in 2 days... And that was already the 3rd round...

The numbers are there, this dude has blinders on...

My guess is that the max one person could see in one season would be right at 70. So 65 sounds good to me.

HighSchool Fan
06-24-2005, 01:10 PM
The one part that I agree with is the letting go of David Barron and the hiring of Jake Shaw was a mistake. At 26 Shaw most likely doesn't have the connections that Barron has. Maybe they should of kept Barron around for a year or two so he could of helped Shaw get some more connections around the state.

BHBrave08
06-24-2005, 01:13 PM
They didn't just competely get rid of Barron though. If you will look on page 10 of the Magazine Barron is one of the Features Staff members. So he is still there to help out.

Txbroadcaster
06-24-2005, 07:43 PM
Does the guy claim he saw 65 game from beginning to end? You know a guy can catch one half of a game, and drive a few miles and catch the other half of another game. If your in a place like the DFW area, you coulld catch parts of 4 games on Thursday and Friday, and on alot of weeks catch a Saturday game as well.

I know for the LSt, I BROADCAST 30 football games, so it is not a reach to have caught parts of 65 games.

Gobbla2001
06-24-2005, 09:33 PM
I replied to this post on my lunch break, and tried to add up numbers in my head the rest of work... I found out that it is TOTALLY possible to see 65 games... but if any of you could look up what exactly was said I'd be happy... because last year's had him saying he has seen games in (insert amount here) towns, not mentioning the amount of time it has taken to see them...

This guys act like every team in reading distance of him should be expected to do well... he's on crack more than the DCTF staff, I can tell you that much...

HighSchool Fan
06-25-2005, 06:13 AM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
it has taken to see them...

This guys act like every team in reading distance of him should be expected to do well... he's on crack more than the DCTF staff, I can tell you that much...

your should good at making things out that aren't even there. no where did he say all the teams should be in the playoffs. he just mentioned a few teams that's in the playoffs year in and year out.