PDA

View Full Version : NCAA Sanctions against BU B'Ball

kepdawg
06-23-2005, 01:46 PM
• The institution will be publicly reprimanded and censured.

• The university will remain on probation from June 23, 2005, through June 22, 2010. Baylor had self-imposed a three-year probation.

• During either the 2005-06 or 2006-07 academic years, Baylor must limit its basketball schedule to regular season Big XII games and the Big XII tournament. The institution was given flexibility on the timing of this penalty so that it could comply with existing contractual obligations.

• The committee adopted Baylor's self-imposed penalty of a ban on 2003-04 postseason basketball. It lost $212,500 in revenues by not participating in the Big XII tournament.

• The committee adopted Baylor's self-imposed financial aid reductions of four men's basketball scholarships in 2004-05 and one in 2005-06.

• The committee reduced the number of paid recruiting visits allowed from 12 to nine for the 2006-07 academic year. That is in addition to Baylor's self-imposed limits of eight in 2004-05 and nine in 2005-06.

• The number of contact days shall be reduced by five beginning in September 2004 through April 2007, which is one year more than what Baylor had self-imposed. Baylor also had 10 fewer evaluation days during the winter evaluation in 2004 and will have the same in 2005 and 2006.

• The number of coaches permitted to recruit off-campus was reduced from three to two during the 2004-05 academic year. The same limits will remain in 2005-06 and 2006-07, one year more than what Baylor self-imposed.

• Baylor self-imposed a one-game reduction in the number of permissible exhibition games during the 2004-05 season.

• The committee also noted as a self-imposed penalty Baylor's successful petition of the Big XII Conference and the NCAA to waive transfer rules for current basketball student-athletes. Three highly regarded student-athletes transferred from the institution and one prospect who had signed a National Letter of Intent decided not to enroll.

• The committee also noted that the former head coach resigned and his coaching staff was replaced.

KTJ
06-23-2005, 02:04 PM
Wow.

Bandera YaYa
06-23-2005, 03:07 PM
"Wow" is an understatement....Ouch!!!!! :eek:

sahen
06-23-2005, 11:34 PM
well....i guess the self imposed year tourney ban (we lose over 200,000 dollars for this), 13 scholarships in all that were lost, allowing all of our players to transfer w/o the year sitout punishment deal (3 of which who played key roles on their teams, 2 were stars, John Lucas Jr. (ok state) and Roberts (mississippi state) and one Kenny Taylor (UT) played a key role in their teams successes), basically gutting our team in an essence, and then doing away with our athletic director is not enough....giving us half the death penalty is kinda ridiculous for a program that has one player left from the ordeal and no coaches, or anyone in the athletic director's office left.....

AggieJohn
06-24-2005, 12:46 AM
yeah i think yall cut out most of the bad weeds and have imposed stuff on yourselves and i think that should be enough, i think these rules are bogus beond that

sahen
06-24-2005, 12:58 AM
i love how the chairman of the committee to investigate this was from the University of Alabama....also good ol' University of Miami has a rep on there too....these schools never do any wrong...what alabama did in football a couple years back was a lot worse what we did (schoolwise, u have to remember baylor isnt punished for one of their player's going off the deep end and murdering someone...the school didnt kill anyone) and i dont think i have to talk about miami....

BU97
06-24-2005, 03:53 PM
Considering that this is the second time we have been on probation in the last 10 years I think that we are lucky that we are able to put a team on the floor next year. Plus if you look closer we can play in the post-season, so that is good, we just lose the non-conference games next year. We will have a young team next season so missing those 10+ games will be rough on them, BUT we have a good coach and some good young players so hopefully we can pull ourselves out of this.

You make a good point on how Baylor seems to take this stuff on the chin and Miami and Alabama always seem to skate free!

sahen
06-24-2005, 08:20 PM
BU97 the committee really did away w/ any chance at a postseason next year....even if a miracle happens and we have say a 10-6 season in conference they still wouldnt take us in the tourney over a 16 or 17 win team.....i think we had a chance at a NIT bid next year w/ teh incoming freshmen class being really strong but now there is almost no way....the best chance we have of getting into a tourney is winning the big 12 tournament and that would be a miracle indeed.....in 2 years get ready for a buncha of P.O.ed bears though....im very eager to see what Drew can do w/ a full alotment of scholarships and a full season

kepdawg
06-24-2005, 10:21 PM
• During either the 2005-06 or 2006-07 academic years, Baylor must limit its basketball schedule to regular season Big XII games and the Big XII tournament. The institution was given flexibility on the timing of this penalty so that it could comply with existing contractual obligations.

It seems to me that right there eliminates any postseason opportunities.

Gobbla2001
06-24-2005, 10:26 PM
From reading this, this committee let Baylor off easy... Baylor ITSELF self-imposed great punishment and this 'horrible' committee gave 'less' punishment to Baylor... if Baylor had its OWN way, they'd be punished MORE...

So unless you want it to be more 'strict', you have to reason to gripe...

sahen
06-24-2005, 11:04 PM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
From reading this, this committee let Baylor off easy... Baylor ITSELF self-imposed great punishment and this 'horrible' committee gave 'less' punishment to Baylor... if Baylor had its OWN way, they'd be punished MORE...

So unless you want it to be more 'strict', you have to reason to gripe...
no gobbla...the NCAA accepted Baylor's punishments AND added on the ones that they listed on here.....also there isnt many punishments more strict than actually canceling half of ur season....

sahen
06-24-2005, 11:06 PM
Originally posted by kepdawg

It seems to me that right there eliminates any postseason opportunities.
Big 12 tourney is postseason..and our coaches asked apparantly or something....The NCAA said that if we make the NCAA tourney or NIT we can play in it....they just want the first half canceled after that no more canceled games...though as i said before it will be almost impossible to make the NCAA or NIT if you dont have the first half of your season....

Gobbla2001
06-24-2005, 11:10 PM
Originally posted by kepdawg
• The institution will be publicly reprimanded and censured.

• The university will remain on probation from June 23, 2005, through June 22, 2010. Baylor had self-imposed a three-year probation.

• The committee adopted Baylor's self-imposed penalty of a ban on 2003-04 postseason basketball. It lost $212,500 in revenues by not participating in the Big XII tournament.

• The committee adopted Baylor's self-imposed financial aid reductions of four men's basketball scholarships in 2004-05 and one in 2005-06.

• The committee reduced the number of paid recruiting visits allowed from 12 to nine for the 2006-07 academic year. That is in addition to Baylor's self-imposed limits of eight in 2004-05 and nine in 2005-06.

• The number of contact days shall be reduced by five beginning in September 2004 through April 2007, which is one year more than what Baylor had self-imposed. Baylor also had 10 fewer evaluation days during the winter evaluation in 2004 and will have the same in 2005 and 2006.

• The number of coaches permitted to recruit off-campus was reduced from three to two during the 2004-05 academic year. The same limits will remain in 2005-06 and 2006-07, one year more than what Baylor self-imposed.

• Baylor self-imposed a one-game reduction in the number of permissible exhibition games during the 2004-05 season.

• The committee also noted as a self-imposed penalty Baylor's successful petition of the Big XII Conference and the NCAA to waive transfer rules for current basketball student-athletes. Three highly regarded student-athletes transferred from the institution and one prospect who had signed a National Letter of Intent decided not to enroll.

• The committee also noted that the former head coach resigned and his coaching staff was replaced.

The committe adopted a lot of Baylor's self-imposed punishments and only upgraded a few times, not bad...

sahen
06-24-2005, 11:20 PM
The committe adopted a lot of Baylor's self-imposed punishments and only upgraded a few times, not bad...
and one of the upgrades is that they canceled half of a season....that is very bad....basically half of the death penalty....

Gobbla2001
06-24-2005, 11:28 PM
Originally posted by sahen
and one of the upgrades is that they canceled half of a season....that is very bad....basically half of the death penalty....

Hmmm, dying... half of a season canceld... good comparison...

sahen
06-24-2005, 11:36 PM
Hmmm, dying... half of a season canceld... good comparison...
uh....NCAA "death penalty" is they cancel ur season and make u start from scratch right after that...everyone left after the ordeal so we already started from scratch cause we cleaned house ourselves and then half our season is now canceled for next year...i didnt make the terminology up myself, they actually call it the "death penalty".....ask SMU football they can tell u about it.....they got the "death penalty" in teh mid 80's..

Gobbla2001
06-24-2005, 11:42 PM
Originally posted by sahen
uh....NCAA "death penalty" is they cancel ur season and make u start from scratch right after that...everyone left after the ordeal so we already started from scratch cause we cleaned house ourselves and then half our season is now canceled for next year...i didnt make the terminology up myself, they actually call it the "death penalty".....ask SMU football they can tell u about it.....they got the "death penalty" in teh mid 80's..

Yah, that's a bummer...

btw. I was talkin' bout the ncaa's with the comparison... your 'uh' made me think you thought I was joshin' you...