PDA

View Full Version : those smart Baylor Bears...

Adidas410s
06-23-2005, 12:36 PM
well it sounds like one of the "top academic schools in the country" can't even get a baseball coach who knows the rules. After their loss to UT last night, coach Smith was quoted by ESPN as saying:

"I didn't argue that call. It's a tough call," Smith said. "I did think the non-slide was flagrant because he came in high. It's a must-slide rule, so I thought there should have been an ejection."

There is NO such thing as a MUST slide rule in baseball. The runner has the choice to slide, give up, or go back. In NCAA's and up, he is allowed to make contact with the catcher without resulting in an automatic ejection. If the plate umpire deems that the action of the runner are malicious in their intent, then he can eject the runner. However, it is NOT a MUST SLIDE rule! These DO NOT exist at ANY level of the game.

Gobbla2001
06-23-2005, 12:38 PM
The only rule is that the player cannot go out of his way to run over the catcher... but if the catcher is in his way, he can do what he feels will get his body on the plate easiest... and he did...

bullfrog_alumni_02
06-23-2005, 12:41 PM
thats crazy. if hes gonna make up new rules for the state, why doesnt he become the supreme chancelor of rule making and make all kinds of crazy rules, like a runner has to do a head spin, v or k kick, runner's discretion, and finish with a wind mill is he crosses home plate. :D

Adidas410s
06-23-2005, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
The only rule is that the player cannot go out of his way to run over the catcher... but if the catcher is in his way, he can do what he feels will get his body on the plate easiest... and he did...

exactly...which is what I was referring to as "malicious contact." That is just the terminology we use in our chapter to refer to contact between players in determining intent.

Gobbla2001
06-23-2005, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
exactly...which is what I was referring to as "malicious contact." That is just the terminology we use in our chapter to refer to contact between players in determining intent.

you the man...

Gobbla2001
06-23-2005, 12:49 PM
I think he's just mad because the catcher who got plowed was the biggest/toughest lookin' guy out there...

Bandera YaYa
06-23-2005, 12:58 PM
I think he's just mad because the catcher who got plowed was the biggest/toughest lookin' guy out there... Yah, the look on that catcher's face was priceless.....he was STUFFED!!!!!! :DHook 'em Horns!!!! :clap: :clap:

44INAROW
06-23-2005, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by Bandera YaYa
Yah, the look on that catcher's face was priceless.....he was STUFFED!!!!!! :DHook 'em Horns!!!! :clap: :clap:
How bout that look on the guy that was on 2nd and went home, not knowing the ball was caught in centerfield.. When he crossed home, he thought he scored :D

Pmoney
06-23-2005, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by Bandera YaYa
Yah, the look on that catcher's face was priceless.....he was STUFFED!!!!!! :DHook 'em Horns!!!! :clap: :clap:
I saw it on the replay he was like :eek: :eek: :eek: :D

3afan
06-23-2005, 01:46 PM
did anyone notice that the home pplate ump actually called obstruction on the play? the left arm went straight out as soon as the catcher blocked the plate without having the ball ......

KTJ
06-23-2005, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by 3afan
did anyone notice that the home pplate ump actually called obstruction on the play? the left arm went straight out as soon as the catcher blocked the plate without having the ball ......

Yeah, we saw that. Peoples was upset because he thought the ump called him out at first.

As long as he got the call right, it's all good.

Gobbla2001
06-23-2005, 05:10 PM
The guy who went from 2nd to home during Stubbs' (Thank you Atlanta, TX) AWESOME DP catch was Drew Brees' younger brother... He's an outfielder, and figured since he knew 'HE' couldn't catch a ball like that, he would be safe at home... then he turned around to see if his teammate jad gotten a double or not and noticed him headed back to the dugout, then he just looked stunned... that was priceless...

kaorder1999
06-23-2005, 05:47 PM
refer to bottom of page 90 for rule on this.....

http://www.ncaa.org/library/rules/2004/2004_baseball_rules.pdf#search='ncaa%20baseball%20 rules'

kaorder1999
06-23-2005, 05:54 PM
in somewhat of his defense i did watch a varsity girls softball game last year in sulphur springs and a girl was ejected for not sliding into home plate. thought htat was weird

AggieJohn
06-23-2005, 05:56 PM
insert shane's ruling here----)

3afan
06-23-2005, 06:34 PM
she probably wasnt ejected for NOT SLIDING into home but rather for causing, in the umpire's judgement, malicios contact (intentionally running into a fielder)

Originally posted by kaorder1999
in somewhat of his defense i did watch a varsity girls softball game last year in sulphur springs and a girl was ejected for not sliding into home plate. thought htat was weird

sahen
06-23-2005, 10:39 PM
Originally posted by AggieJohn
insert shane's ruling here----)
my ruling is...ur an idiot that just tries to stir crap up....

and on the play....even if the kid slid tothe back of the plate he wouldve been safe i think...he shouldve slid but oh well, he didnt and he plowed our catcher...im proud my team is in the top 4 of college baseball and if texas wins it all i think we could beat florida so i think we r top 2 though we will just be top 3....it doesnt really matter much....baylor had a great year this year and i hope we keep it up...sic'em!

Gobbla2001
06-23-2005, 11:38 PM
IF he would have slid to the side, he would have had to come back across the plate with some part of his body... if he had done that he may have been safe, but it MAY have been close enough for the ump to say he was out, and you 'never leave it up to the ref/ump/judge/whatever' in sports... he chose not to leave it up to the ump, and if you noticed, the ball was there after contact, meaning without contact the catchers arm could have swung back and caught him... do not take chances, just get the run....

AggieJohn
06-23-2005, 11:56 PM
Originally posted by sahen
my ruling is...ur an idiot that just tries to stir crap up....

if first you can't take it, cry cry again

sahen
06-24-2005, 12:13 AM
Originally posted by AggieJohn
if first you can't take it, cry cry again
what the hell r u talkin about?

AggieJohn
06-24-2005, 12:15 AM
if you only knew

sahen
06-24-2005, 12:18 AM
IF he would have slid to the side, he would have had to come back across the plate with some part of his body... if he had done that he may have been safe, but it MAY have been close enough for the ump to say he was out, and you 'never leave it up to the ref/ump/judge/whatever' in sports... he chose not to leave it up to the ump, and if you noticed, the ball was there after contact, meaning without contact the catchers arm could have swung back and caught him... do not take chances, just get the run....
im not gonna get in a big argument over this call cause i think no matter what the runner would have been safe and UT wouldve won teh game....but i have seen MANY college baseball games...prolly much more than most people on this bored and in that situation not only r u supposed to slide you are required too....u cant lower ur shoulder and go into the catcher in college....accidental collision is one thing but lowering ur shoulder and taking a guy out is another...u dont have a choice you have to slide....the ump has to call interference....i have seen this happen 3 other times and in 2 of the 3 the runner slid and ran into the catcher the runner was called safe on interference....the other situation the runner plowed over the catcher....interference was called and the runner was safe BUT the runner was ejected from teh game for intentionally plowing the catcher over....the run shouldve counted and the player ejected...didnt happen that way but Texas won the game anyways...as they would have....so its not a big deal...

u have to remember college is closer to little league than pro ball in the rules dept...they r protecting the kids, it may seem ridiculous but you do indeed have to slide in that situation....