PDA

View Full Version : Texas Tech vs. Texas A&M to be moved to Dallas???

KTJ
06-21-2005, 07:31 PM
I keep hearing this rumor and someone posted it on the UT board that I post on.

Why would you guys move this game?

Gobbla2001
06-21-2005, 07:33 PM
I dunno...

Maybe it has become such a big rivalry that they have decided to mock the Red River Shoot-Out... interesting...

AggieJohn
06-21-2005, 08:25 PM
no freaking way, it's blasphemy, we wouldn't agree to this the way that texas won't agree to move the lone star shootout to saturday

KTJ
06-21-2005, 09:37 PM
Originally posted by AggieJohn
no freaking way, it's blasphemy, we wouldn't agree to this the way that texas won't agree to move the lone star shootout to saturday

Ok, I'm not going to get into an argument but what does UT moving the UT/A&M game to Saturday have anything to do with Tech/A&M?

LH Panther Mom
06-21-2005, 10:09 PM
I haven't heard this, but if it's true, it's one of the lamest ideas TTU has had in a while...if it was our idea. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

AggieJohn
06-21-2005, 11:05 PM
Originally posted by KTJ
Ok, I'm not going to get into an argument but what does UT moving the UT/A&M game to Saturday have anything to do with Tech/A&M?
nothing, i just don't understand while you wouldn't want to move a game of this magnitude to a saturday night primetime slot...i think that Mack3 is scared

LH Panther Mom
06-21-2005, 11:15 PM
i think that Mack3 is scared

Now I have to say, that's one of the goofiest things yet. :rolleyes:

AggieJohn
06-21-2005, 11:30 PM
i just don't like mack, he isn't trustable

AggieJohn
06-21-2005, 11:31 PM
the only neutral site game this aggie wants is a BCS game

KTJ
06-21-2005, 11:48 PM
I'll make this easy for everyone.

1.) "trustable" isn't a word.

2.) I don't think that you've come into interaction with Mack Brown to make him not be "trustworthy" towards yourself. But if you two did come into interaction and that's why you don't trust him, that's a different story, one that we would all like to know.

3.) There are several reasons as to why this game wasn't moved but you, as well as most others, made judgement without bothering to ask. A.) For Texas/Texas A&M to be "primetime", BOTH teams have to consistantly be in the top10/20. B.) Mack Brown would rather his players be able to spend that weekend with their families. If that game was moved to Saturday, the players Thanksgiving vacation is cut short. I don't know how it is at Texas A&M, but that's how it works at Texas.

4.) This was a perfectly good thread that really didn't need to be crapped on. I asked a fine question and got a "you know what" type of response. That really sucks because people on this board are sick of this type of attitude and I'm really tired of defending my University against juvenile responses.

5.) If any other Tech or A&M fans with legitimate responses care to answer, that would be great.

6.) LHPM, I need some homecookin'. :D

AggieJohn
06-21-2005, 11:59 PM
Originally posted by KTJ
I'll make this easy for everyone.

4.) This was a perfectly good thread that really didn't need to be crapped on. I'm really tired of defending my University against juvenile responses.

i'll make this easy for you to KTJ;)

this is being crapped on
http://www.awfulgood.com/doa-images/20040629-nl-0002.jpg
If you are tired of defending your University, then maybe you shouldn't choose one with such a history, heck what do you think that i have to do from time to time....i take it, i dish it, be cool about it man:D

rockdale80
06-22-2005, 01:10 AM

this is being crapped on
http://www.awfulgood.com/doa-images/20040629-nl-0002.jpg
If you are tired of defending your University, then maybe you shouldn't choose one with such a history, heck what do you think that i have to do from time to time....i take it, i dish it, be cool about it man:D

I have to agree with KTJ on this one. This was about TT/ATM, and somehow it went to you taking a stab at UT. I guess basically it what I am saying is if you don't start it, then it won't be anything to defend.

LH Panther Mom
06-22-2005, 06:58 AM
Wednesday, June 22, 2005
Last modified at 2:14 a.m. on Wednesday, June 22, 2005
© 2005 - The Lubbock Avalanche-Journal

Tech, A&M discuss moving football game
BY DON WILLIAMS
AVALANCHE-JOURNAL

Texas Tech and Texas A&M have had informal discussion about moving the annual football game between the two to Dallas, Tech athletic director Gerald Myers acknowledged Tuesday.

"Bill and I have discussed it,'' Myers said, referring to A&M athletic director Bill Byrne. "We're looking at the possibility of it. No decision's been made. That's about all there is to it right now. We've just talked about it and said we'll talk some more.''

Myers indicated that he hasn't made up his mind on what his preference is. He said he'd need to weigh the pluses and minuses after more talks.

"I think that we need to study it and explore it,'' he said. "That's basically what we've agreed to do is just discuss it and see what the possibilities are.''

The Tech-A&M games played at Jones SBC Stadium in Lubbock and Kyle Field in College Station on a year-in, year-out basis have been some of the most thrilling the Red Raiders have played. Of the nine Tech-A&M games played between 1994 and 2002, seven were decided by no more than a touchdown and the other two had four- and six-point margins in the fourth quarter.

Myers said that this year's game scheduled for Nov. 5 in Lubbock won't be moved.

In recent years, Tech has been willing to play neutral-site games in the regular season. In 1994, Tech beat Houston 34-0 at the Alamodome in San Antonio before a crowd listed at 20,286. In 1996, Tech beat Oklahoma State 31-3 at Texas Stadium in Irving before a crowd listed at 30,269.

Texas Stadium also was a neutral site for Tech-North Texas games that drew 21,496 in 1998 and 20,852 in 2001.

Tech coach Mike Leach could not be reached Tuesday for comment. Leach has said on several occasions that he likes to play as many home games as possible.

Myers said Tech and A&M probably will visit some more about the subject later this summer. He said the discussion about moving a future game or games to Dallas wasn't site-specific.

"It just kind of came up in our discussions,'' Myers said. "There have been people from Dallas talk to us quite a few times about moving games there. It's a topic that's been out there for quite some time, really. It's not anything new as far as the idea.''

To comment on this story:

don.williams@lubbockonline.com 766-8734

patrick.gonzales@lubbockonline.com 766-8735

Bulldog_12
06-22-2005, 09:54 AM
It would be ignorant for us, A&M, to agree with that. Why would we agree to give up an advantage like Kyle Field. I just don't see A&M going for it.

LH Panther Mom
06-22-2005, 10:04 AM
Originally posted by Bulldog_12
It would be ignorant for us, A&M, to agree with that. Why would we agree to give up an advantage like Kyle Field. I just don't see A&M going for it.

;) It's not always an advantage, but I agree...Jones stadium has been pretty rough on A&M many of the last 15 years. :)

GreenMonster
06-22-2005, 10:11 AM
Money talks and big time college football listens. If Dallas can guarantee X amount of dollars then both of these schools will jump on it. Honestly, it's not a bad idea. Dallas is roughly the midway point between these two schools and may bring an even higher intensity level to already storied rivalry. It creates a playoff atmosphere and can become a giant holiday weekend for both of these schools students and alumni. I personally hope that they give this serious consideration because it could be a great thing for both Tech and A&M. It might even draw national TV coverage because moving the game to a neutral site is an admission by both schools that this is a huge rivalry and huge rivalrys make for good TV.

LH Panther Mom
06-22-2005, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by GreenMonster
It might even draw national TV coverage because moving the game to a neutral site is an admission by both schools that this is a huge rivalry and huge rivalrys make for good TV.

LOL! Sorry, GM, but this made me laugh. 1) A&M will never consider anyone but UT to be their rival and 2) no team in the conference likes/hates TTU enough to want them as a rival. :weeping:

District303aPastPlayer
06-22-2005, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
LOL! Sorry, GM, but this made me laugh. 1) A&M will never consider anyone but UT to be their rival and 2) no team in the conference likes/hates TTU enough to want them as a rival. :weeping:

well, it gives UT a break... hopefully this will take off as a great idea, and let the UT-OU rivalry take over. I honestly still can't see A&M as UTs rival.

GreenMonster
06-22-2005, 10:30 AM
I have to respectfully disagree. I believe that A&M considers Texas, Oklahoma, and Texas Tech as it's rivals. Besides, you have your Techsters confused with the Baylor Bears as for no one wanting them for a rival. They can't even get a non-conference school to consider them as a rival :evillaugh

Reveille
06-22-2005, 10:34 AM
Another angle is that the DFW area is one of the recuiting hot beds in Texas. Other than the Cotton Bowl this year, A&M has not played in the DFW area since entering the Big 12, I believe. I don't think Tech plays there on a regular basis either. ............... Just food for thought.

KTJ
06-22-2005, 10:46 AM

Should I respond to this or move on?

LH Panther Mom
06-22-2005, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by District303aPastPlayer
I honestly still can't see A&M as UTs rival.

A&M is not UT's rival; however UT is A&M's. (Not everyone will understand this, but I know KTJ will.)

GreenMonster
06-22-2005, 10:51 AM
give him the finger and move on.

LH Panther Mom
06-22-2005, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by KTJ
Should I respond to this or move on?

I would move on, but then I'm not saying you should. IMO, he's trying to rile you up & it isn't really worth the aggravation. ;)

KTJ
06-22-2005, 10:54 AM
A&M is not UT's rival; however UT is A&M's. (Not everyone will understand this, but I know KTJ will.)

She's the smartest woman in the world folks. Take note.

:D

And thanks Green Monster. (Red Sox fan???)

LH Panther Mom
06-22-2005, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by GreenMonster
Besides, you have your Techsters confused with the Baylor Bears as for no one wanting them for a rival. They can't even get a non-conference school to consider them as a rival :evillaugh

:tongue: Yes, us poor Tech folks are confused as to why no one likes/hates us. I've been told by more than one person that Tech is the red-headed step-child. :weeping:

I think the consensus amongst some Big XII Texas schools (students) is apathy toward Baylor's football team. :(

LH Panther Mom
06-22-2005, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by KTJ
She's the smartest woman in the world folks. Take note.

:D

:kiss: :kiss:

pirate4state
06-22-2005, 11:05 AM
:tongue: Yes, us poor Tech folks are confused as to why no one likes/hates us. I've been told by more than one person that Tech is the red-headed step-child. :weeping:

I think the consensus amongst some Big XII Texas schools (students) is apathy toward Baylor's football team. :( I like Texas Tech! :thumbsup: :)

vet93
06-22-2005, 11:07 AM
This is true to a point...the A&M/UT rivalry is based largely on the success of the programs. When I was in school at A&M we beat UT 7 out of the 8 years that I was there. During that same time UT beat OU multiple times. While the Aggies considered UT a rival, we were more concerned about winning cotton bowls and beating teams like FSU (not much success) and Notre Dame. During that time the UT fans were quite the rival and wanted to beat the Aggies probably more than OU because we were the top dog during those years in the SWC. Once A&M started to decline around 1998 or so and OU began to build their program with Stoops the focus for the UT faithful switched back to OU. If A&M could get back to the point to where they are a consistent top 10 team like UT....the rivalry will begin to take some of the shape that it once did. In other words....Aggies....You had better get after it!

vet93
06-22-2005, 11:07 AM
I like Texas Tech too......!

Originally posted by pirate4state
I like Texas Tech! :thumbsup: :)

JasperDog94
06-22-2005, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by vet93
This is true to a point...the A&M/UT rivalry is based largely on the success of the programs. When I was in school at A&M we beat UT 7 out of the 8 years that I was there. During that same time UT beat OU multiple times. While the Aggies considered UT a rival, we were more concerned about winning cotton bowls and beating teams like FSU (not much success) and Notre Dame. During that time the UT fans were quite the rival and wanted to beat the Aggies probably more than OU because we were the top dog during those years in the SWC. Once A&M started to decline around 1998 or so and OU began to build their program with Stoops the focus for the UT faithful switched back to OU. If A&M could get back to the point to where they are a consistent top 10 team like UT....the rivalry will begin to take some of the shape that it once did. In other words....Aggies....You had better get after it! I think that about sums it up.

Bulldog_12
06-22-2005, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by vet93
This is true to a point...the A&M/UT rivalry is based largely on the success of the programs. When I was in school at A&M we beat UT 7 out of the 8 years that I was there. During that same time UT beat OU multiple times. While the Aggies considered UT a rival, we were more concerned about winning cotton bowls and beating teams like FSU (not much success) and Notre Dame. During that time the UT fans were quite the rival and wanted to beat the Aggies probably more than OU because we were the top dog during those years in the SWC. Once A&M started to decline around 1998 or so and OU began to build their program with Stoops the focus for the UT faithful switched back to OU. If A&M could get back to the point to where they are a consistent top 10 team like UT....the rivalry will begin to take some of the shape that it once did. In other words....Aggies....You had better get after it!

I totally agree with you. I've been saying that for a while now. And don't worry LHPM, I will take care of your techies. I joined the coalition for finding Tech a rival group on facebook. Ill jump right on this problem that they are having.;)

JHS_c/o_06'
06-22-2005, 03:03 PM
the only neutral site game this aggie wants is a BCS game

Well after the way the cotton bowl went this year for yall....i don't think you'll have to worry about a BCS game, so you can focus on the TT/AM game...in Dallas

HA!:D

Bandera YaYa
06-22-2005, 03:12 PM
OUCH !!!!!! :p :clap:

HighSchool Fan
06-22-2005, 03:20 PM
I would move on, but then I'm not saying you should. IMO, he's trying to rile you up & it isn't really worth the aggravation. ;)

it's just another case of him trying to start an argument, how many does this make now?? could a MOD do everyone a favor and ROM him??

AggieJohn
06-22-2005, 09:28 PM
Originally posted by District303aPastPlayer
well, it gives UT a break... hopefully this will take off as a great idea, and let the UT-OU rivalry take over. I honestly still can't see A&M as UTs rival.

because you are only seeing the fact that texas has had recent success in consecutive years against a&m

JHS_c/o_06'
06-22-2005, 09:52 PM
because you are only seeing the fact that texas has had recent success in consecutive years against a&m

And they will continue to for many more....

TheDOCTORdre
06-22-2005, 09:53 PM
Originally posted by JHS_c/o_06'
And they will continue to for many more.... :clap: :clap:

TMer25
06-22-2005, 10:10 PM

72-34-5

That seems like more than just recent success.

Adidas410s
06-22-2005, 10:52 PM
Originally posted by TMer25
72-34-5

Thank you for beating me to my post...a 2 to 1 margin over 109 games is a pretty solid record.

AggieJohn
06-22-2005, 11:02 PM
Originally posted by TMer25
72-34-5

yeah well we were a miltary school for about 70 of those years

LH Panther Mom
06-22-2005, 11:06 PM

:confused: :confused:

AggieJohn
06-22-2005, 11:09 PM
i just thin that has something to do with it, it was a small military school, think about the fact that the citadel or annapolis, how often are they THAT good

JHS_c/o_06'
06-23-2005, 03:09 AM

And my dog can catch a frisbee with a blindfold on.....but that doesnt change the fact of the the UT/aTm record....

your giving excuses......and in the words of doctor evil

....boo frickity hoo

Bandera YaYa
06-23-2005, 10:10 AM
yeah well we were a miltary school for about 70 of those years That's a scary thought...... :eek: :eek:

AggieJohn
06-24-2005, 12:37 AM
Originally posted by Bandera YaYa
That's a scary thought...... :eek: :eek:
what the fact that we turn out more cadets through our ROTC program than annapolis and west point combined