PDA

View Full Version : Gilmer's Pettway Becomes Texans First Draftee To Sign Contract

nutcrackin
06-21-2005, 03:37 PM
GILMER'S PETTWAY BECOMES TEXANS FIRST DRAFTEE TO SIGN CONTRACT

Texans sign Pettway
HoustonTexans.com

HOUSTON - The Houston Texans announced the signing of seventh-round draft pick LB Kenneth Pettway, it was announced today. Pettway is the first 2005 Texans draft pick to sign.

Pettway (6-3, 239) was taken by the Texans with the 227th pick in the 2005 draft from Grambling State University. Pettway, who transferred from Southern Arkansas, started his final two seasons at Grambling.

Pettway, a Gilmer, Texas, native, posted 115 tackles, 13.5 sacks, 10 quarterback pressures, three forced fumbles, four pass deflections and two blocked kicks in 23 games. He played at weakside linebacker on his way to capturing first-team All-SWAC honors during his senior year. Pettway led the conference with 8.5 sacks.

Pettway is projected as and outside linebacker in the Texans' 3-4 system. With Pettway’s signing, Houston has five remain draft picks to sign.

Grambling State product Kenneth Pettway

Link

Grambling State product Kenneth Pettway got ready for his first taste of the NFL by continuing to run his linebacker drills on the practice field where he played college ball.

He couldn't have guessed how long he'd end up spending inside the Houston Texans' facility, meeting and studying the club's scheme.

"The meetings were about 10 times longer than college," said Pettway, a seventh-round pick for the Texans last month. "I think the shortest was about two hours. You've got to stay focused. There are no wasted words. Everything they say is something you need to know. There is no room for errors."

The Texans' six draft picks — as well as free agents, and others trying out — participated in four rookie practices earlier this month where coaches introduced the players to the system.

He then returned to Grambling State, where he lifted and ran with friends.

"Working out, it feels the same," said Pettway. "But being back in Grambling, there was a different intensity. So many people know I have been drafted, and are pulling for me."

Pettway is back in Houston this week to participate in 14 coaching sessions that last through June 8. A three-day minicamp follows, before a long break in front of training sessions.

"They emphasized before every meeting that we take notes," said Pettway. Houston coach "Dom Capers walked around and watched for who was taking notes and paying attention. They didn't let us take the playbook home, but he said we could take the notepad home. We were expected to know the defense when we got back. I wrote down some extra things to work on."

Pettway will keep the same number he had in two all-conference seasons at Grambling, the departed Jamie Sharper's No. 55. He found a jersey with his name already embroidered on it when he arrived at camp.

"It was Grade A treatment," Pettway said. "We got off the plane and there was somebody waiting for you with Texans apparel. When we got there, our lockers were all set up. Everything was there, and it was all the right size. Everything you need, they had it."

Pettway's transition was easier than many of the other newcomers, because he was born and raised in nearby Gilmer, Texas.

"A lot of guys were from faraway places," said Pettway, a multi-sports prep star. "They had a couple of guys from Florida and California. Some of them said, 'You are lucky to play in front of your hometown.' To me, it was big joy to get the opportunity to play where I grew up."

His familiarity didn't translate, however, into recommendations on places to eat around Houston.

"They fix everything for you," said Pettway, chuckling. "They give you a target weight and then you eat in the cafeteria, and that's it. You can go out and get your own food, but they encourage you to eat what the nutritionist has for you."

Gobbla2001
06-21-2005, 05:01 PM
Gobbla2001 to himself:

"I will not post anymore signs I will not post anymore signs"

nutcrackin
06-21-2005, 07:54 PM
Alright Gobbla, don't make me send him looking for ya...

http://www.gram.edu/sports/Images/KPettway9.jpg

Gobbla2001
06-21-2005, 07:58 PM
Wow, nice sized young man...

44INAROW
06-21-2005, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by nutcrackin
Alright Gobbla, don't make me send him looking for ya...

http://www.gram.edu/sports/Images/KPettway9.jpg

mercy, that is a tall guy -

nutcrackin
06-21-2005, 08:10 PM
Kenny is a great player and even better person. He has never been in trouble for grades or off the field issues either. Some experts have him as the steal of the draft. He was projected by some as a 4th or 5th rounder. His workout numbers were very close to Derrick Johnson in all categories. Only he played on the line of scrimmage more than DJ. He played at 255lb at Grambling and was listed at 6'5. He is actually 6'3 7/8 and his combine weight was around 238.

nutcrackin
06-21-2005, 08:16 PM
http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/profile.php?pyid=18484

This will show you the combine and pro-day numbers.. he increased both the 40 and vertical.

bullfrog_alumni_02
06-22-2005, 03:58 AM
Originally posted by nutcrackin
http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/profile.php?pyid=18484

This will show you the combine and pro-day numbers.. he increased both the 40 and vertical. you know its funny, the 40 really doesnt show much to scouts, it only shows what someone can do in shorts and maybe a teeshirt and a pair of running shoes or cross trainers for a straight line distance of 40 yards. it doesnt show how quick a person can cut accross field or juke a tackle (or make a tackle in this case). its more of a number to show foot speed i think. you also have to take into account alot of other things that may not be a constant at every place a 40 is run. i jsut think its funny how people in-general over rate this aspect of scouting a player.

nutcrackin
06-22-2005, 11:52 AM
Explosion for DL and LB is determined in the short shuttle, vertical and long jump. The 40 is a good evaluator of speed (which helps) but doesn't make someone a football player. Just ask Randal Williams(former cowboy) who ran a 4.19 during Hard Knocks.