PDA

View Full Version : Former Klansman found Guilty...

AP Panther Fan
06-21-2005, 12:35 PM
Just got the following:

Former Klansman found guilty
Conviction coincides with 41st anniversary of civil rights killings

Tuesday, June 21, 2005; Posted: 12:40 p.m. EDT (16:40 GMT)

PHILADELPHIA, Mississippi (CNN) -- Forty-one years to the day three civil rights workers were ambushed and killed by a Ku Klux Klan mob, a jury found former Klansman Edgar Ray Killen guilty of all three counts of manslaughter Tuesday.

The "Freedom Summer" killings of James Chaney, 21, Andrew Goodman, 20, and Michael Schwerner, 24, galvanized the civil rights movement.

The jury of nine whites and three blacks reached the decision after several hours of deliberations.

In his closing argument Monday, Neshoba County District Attorney Mark Duncan implored the 12 jurors to "hold the defendant responsible for what he did."

"What you do today when you go into that jury room is going to echo throughout the history of Neshoba County from now on," Duncan said. "You can either change the history that Edgar Ray Killen and the Klan wrote for us, or you can confirm it."

"Find him guilty of murder," Duncan said. "That's the verdict that the state of Mississippi asks you to return."

He told the jury to think of Chaney, Goodman and Schwerner -- three young men who had volunteered to help register blacks to vote in the summer of 1964, an act "so despised it cost them their lives."

Chaney was a black man from Mississippi.

Goodman and Schwerner were white New Yorkers who came to the South with hundreds of other civil rights activists.

"Those three boys and their families were robbed of all the things that Edgar Ray Killen has been able to enjoy for the last 41 years. And the cause of it, the main instigator of it was Edgar Ray Killen and no one else," the district attorney said.

"He was the man who led these murders. He is the man who set the plan in motion. He is the man who recruited the people to carry out the plan. He is the man who directed those men into what to do."

Now 80, the balding, bespectacled Killen -- a former preacher -- appeared to be sleeping during much of the closing remarks.

Attorney General Jim Hood, who led the case, said he wished "some of my predecessors would have done their duty" by bringing charges against Killen. Noting that it was "not good politics to bring this case up," he said, politics and time should not get in the way of justice.

Hood said testimony showed Killen possessed "venom" at the time of the killings and still does.

"That venom is sitting right there. It is seething behind those glasses," he said. "That coward wants to hide behind this thing and put pressure on you."
Burden of proof

Seeking to undermine the prosecution's case, defense attorney Mitch Moran said "nothing in the record shows Edgar was there" during the ambush and killings.

"The '60s was a terrible era in a lot of ways. We do not need to relive them, and we do need to go forward," Moran said. "What I'm asking you to do is to look at this evidence and hold the state to the burden of proving this case beyond a reasonable doubt."

Another defense attorney, James McIntyre, said, "The burden of proof on this case does not reflect any guilt whatsoever."

"Mr. Edgar Ray Killen had nothing to do with it," he said.

On June 21, 1964, Chaney, Goodman and Schwerner were on their way to investigate the burning of a black church when they were briefly taken into custody for speeding.

According to testimony, the Klan had burned the church to lure the three men back to Neshoba County.

After they were released from the county jail in Philadelphia, Mississippi, a KKK mob tailed their car, forced if off the road, and shot them to death. Their bodies were buried in an earthen dam -- in a trench dug in anticipation of the killings, according to testimony.

In a 1967 federal trial an all-white jury deadlocked 11-1 in favor of convicting Killen. The lone holdout said she could not vote to convict a preacher.

Seven other men were convicted of conspiring to violate the civil rights of the victims. None served more than six years in prison.

KTJ
06-21-2005, 12:42 PM
This is good news for the state of Mississippi, which out of all the southern states, still seems to have the most racial problems. I heard on CNN last night that the jury was deadlocked 6-6.

AP Panther Fan
06-21-2005, 12:59 PM
Wonder what kind of sentence he will receive being convicted of manslaughter vs murder (what the State was asking for)?

Too bad they didn't convict him back in 1967...he has lived a long (hopefully miserable) life since he conspired to take the lives of those three kids.:(

Bandera YaYa
06-21-2005, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by AP Panther Fan
Wonder what kind of sentence he will receive being convicted of manslaughter vs murder (what the State was asking for)?

Too bad they didn't convict him back in 1967...he has lived a long (hopefully miserable) life since he conspired to take the lives of those three kids.:( Did anyone watch him during the verdict watch??? He was so smug and uninvolved....he gave me goosebumps....pure EVIL ...cold cold eyes......he'll burn in hell for what he did 38 years ago.....God bless the families of the loved ones he killed..... :(

pirate4state
06-21-2005, 01:47 PM
Too bad they didn't convict him back in 1967...he has lived a long (hopefully miserable) life since he conspired to take the lives of those three kids.:( TRUE!! :confused: I know that some people will say that justice has finally been served, but sometimes it is a little too late! :mad:

CheerMom
06-21-2005, 02:50 PM
Justice, at last!!!!

Gobbler Fan
06-21-2005, 02:53 PM
The sad thing about the whole situation is it took 41 years for this decision to be made .

AP Panther Fan
06-21-2005, 02:55 PM
I may just have to watch Nancy Grace to see what she has to say about it!:cool:

AP Panther Fan
06-27-2005, 05:29 PM
Here's some more that transpired today:

Ex-Klansman's Request for New Trial Denied

By EMILY WAGSTER PETTUS
PHILADELPHIA, Miss. (AP) - A judge on Monday denied a new trial for one time Ku Klux Klan leader Edgar Ray Killen, convicted last week of manslaughter for the 1964 killings of three civil rights workers.

James McIntyre, one of Killen's attorneys, told Circuit Judge Marcus Gordon that the defense had not expected prosecutors to ask that jurors in the murder trial be given the option of a manslaughter conviction.

``We did not come to court prepared to defend a manslaughter charge, but that of murder,'' McIntyre said. He argued the manslaughter option was unfair to Killen.

Killen, 80, was dressed in a yellow Neshoba County jail jumpsuit in the brief court hearing.

District Attorney Mark Duncan said other courts have repeatedly ruled that jury instructions allowing the option of a manslaughter conviction are proper in murder cases.

``The law is very clear in Mississippi that manslaughter is a lesser included offense in murder,'' Duncan said.

He also argued that Killen was not harmed by the manslaughter instruction because ``the defense they put on wouldn't have changed on bit.''

Gordon turned down the defense request, and Killen's lawyers have said they raise the same issue on appeal. A request for an appeal bond, which will allow Killen to be free while his appeal runs its course, would be filed later, McIntyre said.

The manslaughter verdicts against Killen came last Tuesday, exactly 41 years after the killings of black Mississippian James Chaney and white New Yorkers Andrew Goodman and Michael Schwerner. The case shocked the nation, helped spur the passage of civil rights legislation and inspired the 1988 movie ``Mississippi Burning.''

Mississippi Department of Corrections Commissioner Chris Epps said Killen would be moved Monday to the Central Mississippi Correctional Facility in Rankin County for classification and evaluation.

Epps said Killen, who has been using a wheelchair, would undergo medical and psychological evaluations to determine his prisoner classification and where he would be housed, either at the Rankin facility or the Mississippi State Penitentiary at Parchman.

EastTeXBulldog
06-27-2005, 05:37 PM
Is convicting an 87 year old man a victory? Also, how about that great police work over there in Mississippi! 41 years later he's behind bars.

GOFOR2
06-27-2005, 05:44 PM
Just got the following:

Former Klansman found guilty
Conviction coincides with 41st anniversary of civil rights killings

Tuesday, June 21, 2005; Posted: 12:40 p.m. EDT (16:40 GMT)

PHILADELPHIA, Mississippi (CNN) -- Forty-one years to the day three civil rights workers were ambushed and killed by a Ku Klux Klan mob, a jury found former Klansman Edgar Ray Killen guilty of all three counts of manslaughter Tuesday.

The "Freedom Summer" killings of James Chaney, 21, Andrew Goodman, 20, and Michael Schwerner, 24, galvanized the civil rights movement.

The jury of nine whites and three blacks reached the decision after several hours of deliberations.

In his closing argument Monday, Neshoba County District Attorney Mark Duncan implored the 12 jurors to "hold the defendant responsible for what he did."

"What you do today when you go into that jury room is going to echo throughout the history of Neshoba County from now on," Duncan said. "You can either change the history that Edgar Ray Killen and the Klan wrote for us, or you can confirm it."

"Find him guilty of murder," Duncan said. "That's the verdict that the state of Mississippi asks you to return."

He told the jury to think of Chaney, Goodman and Schwerner -- three young men who had volunteered to help register blacks to vote in the summer of 1964, an act "so despised it cost them their lives."

Chaney was a black man from Mississippi.

Goodman and Schwerner were white New Yorkers who came to the South with hundreds of other civil rights activists.

"Those three boys and their families were robbed of all the things that Edgar Ray Killen has been able to enjoy for the last 41 years. And the cause of it, the main instigator of it was Edgar Ray Killen and no one else," the district attorney said.

"He was the man who led these murders. He is the man who set the plan in motion. He is the man who recruited the people to carry out the plan. He is the man who directed those men into what to do."

Now 80, the balding, bespectacled Killen -- a former preacher -- appeared to be sleeping during much of the closing remarks.

Attorney General Jim Hood, who led the case, said he wished "some of my predecessors would have done their duty" by bringing charges against Killen. Noting that it was "not good politics to bring this case up," he said, politics and time should not get in the way of justice.

Hood said testimony showed Killen possessed "venom" at the time of the killings and still does.

"That venom is sitting right there. It is seething behind those glasses," he said. "That coward wants to hide behind this thing and put pressure on you."
Burden of proof

Seeking to undermine the prosecution's case, defense attorney Mitch Moran said "nothing in the record shows Edgar was there" during the ambush and killings.

"The '60s was a terrible era in a lot of ways. We do not need to relive them, and we do need to go forward," Moran said. "What I'm asking you to do is to look at this evidence and hold the state to the burden of proving this case beyond a reasonable doubt."

Another defense attorney, James McIntyre, said, "The burden of proof on this case does not reflect any guilt whatsoever."

"Mr. Edgar Ray Killen had nothing to do with it," he said.

On June 21, 1964, Chaney, Goodman and Schwerner were on their way to investigate the burning of a black church when they were briefly taken into custody for speeding.

According to testimony, the Klan had burned the church to lure the three men back to Neshoba County.

After they were released from the county jail in Philadelphia, Mississippi, a KKK mob tailed their car, forced if off the road, and shot them to death. Their bodies were buried in an earthen dam -- in a trench dug in anticipation of the killings, according to testimony.

In a 1967 federal trial an all-white jury deadlocked 11-1 in favor of convicting Killen. The lone holdout said she could not vote to convict a preacher.

Seven other men were convicted of conspiring to violate the civil rights of the victims. None served more than six years in prison.

they need to fry them all, and take the confederate emblem off Mississippi's State Flag.

EastTeXBulldog
06-27-2005, 05:49 PM
The emblem on the Mississippi's flag should not come off, it is just the confederate battle flag which played a big role in Mississippi history.

Old Tiger
06-27-2005, 06:17 PM
That is good to hear!

GOFOR2
06-27-2005, 09:19 PM
Originally posted by EastTeXBulldog
The emblem on the Mississippi's flag should not come off, it is just the confederate battle flag which played a big role in Mississippi history.

r u kidding? that emblem is a reminder of the slavery that ravaged this country for over 400 years

LH Panther Mom
06-27-2005, 09:23 PM
This is starting to make a bad turn. Settle down or it gets closed.

GOFOR2
06-27-2005, 09:34 PM
r u kidding? when does anybody take me seriously?
if i were ticked it would have been in all caps.

LH Panther Mom
06-27-2005, 09:37 PM
Originally posted by GOFOR2
r u kidding? when does anybody take me seriously?
if i were ticked it would have been in all caps.

:doh: :doh: I'll remember that. ;)

bullfrog_alumni_02
06-27-2005, 10:27 PM
I may just have to watch Nancy Grace to see what she has to say about it!:cool: is she that vile woman on cnn that makes my blood boil everytime i hear her voice? i think it is...

GOFOR2
06-28-2005, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
:doh: :doh: I'll remember that. ;)

Thanks. I am the redheadchild often neglected.
;)