PDA

View Full Version : Oklahoma Spanks Texas All stars in Oil Bowl

Z motion 10 out on 2
06-19-2005, 12:46 PM
Very sloppy for Texas as they were blasted 38-7. It was terrible, I would be nervous if I were Missouri because Southlake great Chase Daniel couldn't even handle a snap much less get off any decent passes.

Jermome Hueitt (SP?) from Gainesville was a bright spot as he played well. So did a cat from Brenham DT (He was quick off the ball. He was wearing #80 and is going to Texas A&I).

The interesting thing was that 7 of the OK players are JUCO signees and they straight up burned the Big 12 signees from Texas.

CRHSeagle
06-19-2005, 02:04 PM
How did Brian Christian do?

Gobbla2001
06-19-2005, 03:32 PM
I think Missouri saw Chase Daniels play with his team this year and do a very good job...

One all-star game played with a team you've never played with before and never will again shouldn't change their opinions of him...

CRHSeagle
06-19-2005, 03:49 PM
Oklahoma 'D' stifling in victory over Texas

By Trey Reed

Special to the Star-Telegram

WICHITA FALLS - Oklahoma used a stout defense to shut down a potent Texas offensive attack -- featuring Carroll quarterback Chase Daniel -- to earn a 38-7 victory Saturday night in the Oil Bowl at Memorial Stadium.

Daniel, who passed for more than 8,000 yards in his high school career, was limited to only 31 yards on 2-of-9 passing. He also threw an interception, fumbled twice and was sacked twice.

Tulsa Jenks' Andrew Brewer was selected the game's MVP after accounting for two touchdowns and throwing for 79 yards on 8-of-14 passing. He also had 22 yards rushing.

Tulsa Union's Michael Cowan was named the game's defensive MVP with one sack, one fumble recovery and three quarterback hurries.

Oklahoma 38, Texas 7

Oklahoma 12 7 7 12 -- 38
Texas 0 7 0 0 -- 7

First quarter

Okla. -- Felix Jones II 3 run (Cole Reynolds kick failed)

Okla. -- Andrew Brewer 4 run (Andrew Brewer pass failed)

Second quarter

Okla. -- William Bencoma 1 pass from Brewer (Reynolds kick)

Texas -- Jacob Lacey 16 pass from Blake Szymanski (Tyler Wolf kick)

Third quarter

Okla. -- Gerald Jones 14 run (Reynolds kick)

Fourth quarter

Okla. -- Ryan Gallimore 40 pass from Rodney Bencoma (Reynolds kick)

Okla. -- Reynolds FG 39

Okla. -- Team safety.

Team statistics

Okla. Texas
First downs 17 9
Rushes-yards 42-148 23--4
Passing yds 128 127
Passes Att-Comp-Int 21-10-0 33-13-2
Punts 4-37.5 5-26.2
Fumbles-Lost 4-2 5-2
Penalties-Yards 8-60 4-45
Sacks By (No.-Yds) 4-15 1-7

RUSHING -- Oklahoma, Ray Long 7-38; Gerald Jones 6-36; Andrew Brewer 6-22; Felix Jones II 6-19; Fred Carolina 6-16; Ryan Gallimore 1-15; Tray Bowie 5-2; Rodney Bencoma 4-1. Texas, Chase Daniel 10-14; Anthony Hall 4-8; Brett Fields 1-3; Jerome Hewitt 1-2; Allen Hausey 1-minus 1; Blake Szymanski 5-minus 10.

PASSING -- Oklahoma, Andrew Brewer 8-14-0-79; Rodney Bencoma 2-6-0-49; Gaylon Burris 0-1-0-0. Texas, Blake Szymanski 11-24-1-96; Chase Daniel 2-9-1-31.

RECEIVING -- Oklahoma, Ryan Gallimore 3-91; Fred Carolina 2-20; Trevor Gavin 1-9; Charley Brown 1-5; Gerald Jones 1-2; William Bencoma 1-1; Tray Bowie 1-0. Texas, Jerome Hewitt 4-29; Brian Christian 2-31; Dale Van Hooser 2-22; Stephen Arnold 2-22; Jacob Lacey 1-16; Brett Fields 1-7; Anthony Hall 1-0.

PhiI C
06-19-2005, 04:59 PM
I don't keep up with the game too much but I think Oklahoma doesn't beat Texas very often in this game do they?

KTJ
06-19-2005, 05:12 PM
No, they don't.

And Z, it's G-A-I-N-E-S-V-I-L-L-E and I'm assuming you mean Brenham, not Brennum.

TexasHSFootball
06-19-2005, 07:27 PM
The Oil Bowl MVPs:
Offense: Andrew Brewer (QB, Jenks/Northwestern)
Defense: Michael Cowen (LB, Tulsa Berryhill/undecided)

Old Tiger
06-19-2005, 08:18 PM
I read somewhere that 95% of the Texas roster was form the Metroplex where as Oklahoma roster was from the whole state of Oklahoma, so it is basically the Metroplex vs. Oklahoma instead of Texas vs. Oklahoma.

jason
06-19-2005, 08:31 PM
The DFW has the best athletes.

Old Tiger
06-19-2005, 08:35 PM
I dunno Houston might...

jason
06-19-2005, 08:46 PM
I like this poll

http://texashsfootball.com/board/index.php?showtopic=14254

We're Back
06-19-2005, 08:56 PM
Originally posted by jason

I dont totally agree with this, DFW probably has the deepest pool of quality athletes, but i think the talent is proportionally spread out, for example( these are just made up figures) DFW produced 500 D1 athletes out of 2500 athletes, and a collection of 3 or 4 smaller 3A districts produced 100 D1 athletes out of 500 athletes, they both have 20 % of their athletes going D1, while you are correct in sayin DFW has great athletes, i disagree in sayin they are the best, there are just more quality athletes to choose from.

Ranger05
06-19-2005, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by We're Back
I dont totally agree with this, DFW probably has the deepest pool of quality athletes, but i think the talent is proportionally spread out, for example( these are just made up figures) DFW produced 500 D1 athletes out of 2500 athletes, and a collection of 3 or 4 smaller 3A districts produced 100 D1 athletes out of 500 athletes, they both have 20 % of their athletes going D1, while you are correct in sayin DFW has great athletes, i disagree in sayin they are the best, there are just more quality athletes to choose from.
I agree with you also on that there are some great players ourside the metroplex. If the metroplex had the best athletes then we would have a sweep in the state championships by the metroplex. I will agree the metroplex does have very good athletes and like We're back said they probably have the deepest pool of athletes just my opinion though

LH Panther Mom
06-19-2005, 09:25 PM

Well, they sure didn't do a lot yesterday. :thinking: :thinking:

jason
06-19-2005, 09:31 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
Well, they sure didn't do a lot yesterday. :thinking: :thinking:
howd those liberty hill players do ?

WOS1
06-19-2005, 09:44 PM
I wonder what the population of the DFW area is now compared to that of the greater Houston area. I'm sure there are more people in DFW now. I would have an extremely hard time believing that they have more DI talent, per school, than the GHA.

We're Back
06-19-2005, 09:49 PM
idk its close, but there are a lot of D1 teams recruiting from GHA now, look at A&M,3 or 4 of their starting defensive players are from Bay City

jason
06-19-2005, 09:54 PM
a&m gets the UT and OU rejects

We're Back
06-19-2005, 09:57 PM
not again................:doh:

LH Panther Mom
06-19-2005, 09:59 PM

Well, duh...they didn't do anything, since there were none there. But, I wouldn't try to talk about how great they were after the score from yesterday, if they had been. :p :)

big daddy russ
06-19-2005, 10:03 PM
Maybe they should've played them.

Matthew328
06-19-2005, 10:39 PM
I dunno abhout how the %'s and all that however don't be fooled that was NOT a DFW all-star team you saw out there....there were one or two big names but remember there were some guys from the WF area who played in the game as well and they were not near as talented as some DFW guys who didn't play in this game....if you had a true DFW all-star team they would have handled the Okies easily....but it wasn't Texas had a bunch of DIII and NAIA guys going up against a ton of D1 kids from Oklahoma...and it turned out to be a mismatch.......if I put together a quick DFW all-star team of 22 guys it would roll past Oklahoma

Matthew328
06-19-2005, 11:17 PM
Compare the real DFW all-stars with the 22 guys who started for Texas last night and see the difference...

Matt's DFW all-star team (Texas used the spread offense)

QB-Chase Daniel Southlake Carroll Missouri
RB-Corey Robertson Denison Iowa
RB-Kestahn Moore Mansfield Summit Florida
WR-Howard Morrow Keller Fossil Ridge Texas A&M
WR-Michael Thomas DeSoto Arizona
WR-Andrew Richards Keller Kansas State
OL-Collin Tucker Richardson Pearce Arkansas
OL-Louis Vasquez Corsicana Texas Tech
OL-Chris Hall Irving Texas
OL-Blake Kerley South Garland Arizona
OL-Trevis Turner DeSoto Colorado State

Now here was Texas' starting offense last night

RB-Anthony Hall Vernon North Texas
RB-Jerome Hewitt Gainesville SE Oklahoma
WR-Brian Christian Decatur Sam Houston
WR-Marcus Franklin North Garland Wyoming
WR-Jacob Lacey Garland Naaman Forest Okla. State
OL-Reggie Stephens Dallas Jesuit Iowa State
OL-Justin Washington PA Memorial Houston
OL-JD Walton Allen Arizona State
OL-Brian Pettigrew Kaufman Missouri Western
OL-Johnathan Hisiam Aledo Arkansas State

a DFW all-star defense

DE-Johnathan Lewis Carrollton Smith Kansas State
DT-DeMarcus Granger Dallas Kimball Oklahoma
DT-Lorenzo Jones McKinney TCU
DE-Marcus Shavers Allen Arkansas
LB-Brandon Duncan Garland Lakeview Texas
LB-Kyle Miller Plano West UCLA
LB-Alex Odiari Lewisville Hebron Okla State
CB-Gremom Coffman Duncanville Texas A&M
CB-Brian Jackson DeSoto Oklahoma
FS-Ishie Odewegu Denton Ryan Texas
SS-Xavier Kelley Denton Ryan Arizona

Here is the defense that started at the Oil Bowl

DE-David Gross Wichita Falls College of the Canyons
DT-Tyler Francisco Allen East Central Oklahoma
DE-Phillip Jones Lewisville Hebron Texas Tech
LB-Darius Allen WF Hirschi Southern Nazerene
LB-Daryl Washington Irving undecided
LB-Shon Brown Waco Baylor
CB-Germon Coffman Duncanville Texas A&M
CB-Dustin Calhoun A&M Consolidated Navarro College
FS-LaShawn Vaiton Irving MacArthur Texas Tech
SS-Brent Nickerson Irving MacArthur Texas Tech

The kicker was some dude from Henrietta who was undecided, the best kicker in the DFW area was Matt Fodge from Garland who is going to Oklahoma State

big daddy russ
06-19-2005, 11:25 PM
Originally posted by Matthew328
Compare the real DFW all-stars with the 22 guys who started for Texas last night and see the difference........

Now here was Texas' starting offense last night

RB-Anthony Hall Vernon North Texas
RB-Jerome Hewitt Gainesville SE Oklahoma
WR-Brian Christian Decatur Sam Houston
WR-Marcus Franklin North Garland Wyoming
WR-Jacob Lacey Garland Naaman Forest Okla. State
OL-Reggie Stephens Dallas Jesuit Iowa State
OL-Justin Washington PA Memorial Houston
OL-JD Walton Allen Arizona State
OL-Brian Pettigrew Kaufman Missouri Western
OL-Johnathan Hisiam Aledo Arkansas State

...Here is the defense that started at the Oil Bowl

DE-David Gross Wichita Falls College of the Canyons
DT-Tyler Francisco Allen East Central Oklahoma
DE-Phillip Jones Lewisville Hebron Texas Tech
LB-Darius Allen WF Hirschi Southern Nazerene
LB-Daryl Washington Irving undecided
LB-Shon Brown Waco Baylor
CB-Germon Coffman Duncanville Texas A&M
CB-Dustin Calhoun A&M Consolidated Navarro College
FS-LaShawn Vaiton Irving MacArthur Texas Tech
SS-Brent Nickerson Irving MacArthur Texas Tech

The kicker was some dude from Henrietta who was undecided, the best kicker in the DFW area was Matt Fodge from Garland who is going to Oklahoma State
That's still a whole lot of D/FW's general vicinity. I see three guys who aren't from the immediate area... one from Port Arthur, one from Consol and one from Waco (which I guess could be considered general vicinity- I consider WF and Vernon as part of the general vicinity).

Gobbla2001
06-19-2005, 11:27 PM
No matter what, they're from Texas, and this year the players selected to participate from Oklahoma played better than the players selected to participate from Texas.... bottom line...

Texas lost the game, not DF-Dubya!!!

lepfan
06-20-2005, 12:25 AM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
No matter what, they're from Texas, and this year the players selected to participate from Oklahoma played better than the players selected to participate from Texas.... bottom line...

Texas lost the game, not DF-Dubya!!!

You hit the nail on the head. :)

Z motion 10 out on 2
06-20-2005, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by KTJ
No, they don't.

And Z, it's G-A-I-N-E-S-V-I-L-L-E and I'm assuming you mean Brenham, not Brennum.

Fixed it thanks.

Z motion 10 out on 2
06-20-2005, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by Tiger WR
I read somewhere that 95% of the Texas roster was form the Metroplex where as Oklahoma roster was from the whole state of Oklahoma, so it is basically the Metroplex vs. Oklahoma instead of Texas vs. Oklahoma.

Not true there were players from all opver Texas. Several players from the Wichita Falls area where the game is held.

Z motion 10 out on 2
06-20-2005, 11:31 AM
I think Missouri saw Chase Daniels play with his team this year and do a very good job...

One all-star game played with a team you've never played with before and never will again shouldn't change their opinions of him...

They must have saw something I didn't. I saw him play twice (The state championship game and the Oil Bowl) I was not impressed with either. In fact, Rider QB (4A) Blake Szymanski threw the ball much better and at least put some points on the board. Blake is a 6'4" 195 pound Baylor signee who took his high school team to the semi finals.

Z motion 10 out on 2
06-20-2005, 11:53 AM
I dunno abhout how the %'s and all that however don't be fooled that was NOT a DFW all-star team you saw out there....there were one or two big names but remember there were some guys from the WF area who played in the game as well and they were not near as talented as some DFW guys who didn't play in this game....if you had a true DFW all-star team they would have handled the Okies easily....but it wasn't Texas had a bunch of DIII and NAIA guys going up against a ton of D1 kids from Oklahoma...and it turned out to be a mismatch.......if I put together a quick DFW all-star team of 22 guys it would roll past Oklahoma

I normally agree with you Matt but not this time. Texas had 20 DI players to Okalhoma's 13. Then throw in the Oklahoma's 13 Juco and undecideds to Texas' 7. Texas had the DI college players and teh talent but just couldn't get it together. Chase Daniels was terrible and the Texas line couldn't stop the Ok Linebackers to include Ricky Gonzales who was tearing them up (He is going to DII Southwest OK).

Of course I went to the game and have to throw a flag on the Texas game plan. 25 mph wind and they are in the spread with guys who have had only a week to gel. Should have pounded the ball on the ground, OK was playing a 4-3 in a cover two. Texas's only score came in a slot post that spilt the two safeties. They were dropping their middle LB into coverage almost every play. The then D-line was very aggresive, the draw should have tron them up. The Texas was playing a 4-4 with a free safety and Ok was throwing the heck out of it.

Gobbla2001
06-20-2005, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by Z motion 10 out on 2
They must have saw something I didn't. I saw him play twice (The state championship game and the Oil Bowl) I was not impressed with either. In fact, Rider QB (4A) Blake Szymanski threw the ball much better and at least put some points on the board. Blake is a 6'4" 195 pound Baylor signee who took his high school team to the semi finals.

Hmmm, must be because it was the state championship game, where the competition is very tough...

I saw Smithson Valley's defense play in the Alamo Dome this year and they'd make any offense look bad...

HighSchool Fan
06-20-2005, 12:59 PM
he's just like any other SLC QB, it's the system not the player. how many SLC QB's has done anything good after HS?? only 1 that i can think of, and he didn't even get recruited to play QB. he's a kicker now. Kris Brown, the kicker of the houston texans is the only QB from SLC to make it to the pros.

Z motion 10 out on 2
06-20-2005, 01:14 PM
I have no idea why he didn't do well. He does have the speed as he broke one for about 15 yards and looked very quick, but it didn't show in his numbers because he was caught behind the line about 4 times. Also may be the Fact that he comes from such a great program with a good system and good players around him like HS Fan mentions.

Z motion 10 out on 2
06-20-2005, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by CRHSeagle
How did Brian Christian do?

He only had two ctaches but I think that is all they threw his way. He was paired up with the 1st teamers and that was with Daniels at QB. He probably would have had more catches if he was running with the 2nd team which actually did much better than the first team.

Matthew328
06-20-2005, 06:04 PM
The Oklahoma JUCO guys were D-1 talents, NEO gets the top guys from Oklahoma who don't qualify academically NEO is the only JUCO that plays football in Oklahoma and they had several players represented...I thought the top 15 guys or so were about equal but Oklahoma had more depth than TX their guys 15-50 were a LOT better than the TX guys

Gobbla2001
06-20-2005, 06:18 PM
Originally posted by HighSchool Fan
he's just like any other SLC QB, it's the system not the player. how many SLC QB's has done anything good after HS?? only 1 that i can think of, and he didn't even get recruited to play QB. he's a kicker now. Kris Brown, the kicker of the houston texans is the only QB from SLC to make it to the pros.

How many of them were recruited and offered a ride at a D1 university AS a QB during this current system?

What I figured, no comparison...

Gobbla2001
06-20-2005, 06:21 PM
Can anyone name me any Palestine/Midland Lee running backs that have done anything good out of high school (at their positions) besides Cedric Benson and Adrian Peterson?

Then why in the heck are they two of the best running backs in all of football?

HighSchool Fan
06-20-2005, 07:15 PM
How many of them were recruited and offered a ride at a D1 university AS a QB during this current system?

What I figured, no comparison...

they've had the current system since the late 80's. they had a QB with the last name Dane i think, he was suppose to be a great QB coming out of SLC, ended up playing safety at TT. the system is what makes the players there, just watch and see chase ride the bench or change positions.

Matthew328
06-20-2005, 08:14 PM
SLC has only been running the spread since like 1995 or 1996

Gobbla2001
06-20-2005, 09:10 PM
SLC has only been running the spread since like 1995 or 1996

I remember watching the '93 SLC/Cuero game like 50 times on highlight and seeing them on T.V. and in person this year... two WAY different styles of ball there...

panther power
06-20-2005, 10:18 PM
Midland Lee-

Ced Benson
Josh Norman
John Norman
Antwan Alexander
and soon to be added to the list:

Jamie McCoy
Trent Hines

Gobbla2001
06-20-2005, 10:19 PM
Originally posted by panther power
Midland Lee-

Ced Benson
Josh Norman
John Norman
Antwan Alexander
and soon to be added to the list:

Jamie McCoy
Trent Hines

I've just heard of Benson, what did the others do after high school?

HighSchool Fan
06-21-2005, 06:13 AM
I remember watching the '93 SLC/Cuero game like 50 times on highlight and seeing them on T.V. and in person this year... two WAY different styles of ball there...

woohoo you remember something!!! i remember gainesville playing them many times and even ending their regular season win streak. i remember at HEB stadium them coming out in the spread offense on the first play and throwing a 70 yard TD pass. bob ledbetter ran the spread just not near as much as they do now.

panther power
06-21-2005, 10:29 AM
Josh Norman won a national championship at Oklahoma and now plays for the San Diego Chargers.

John Norman was a all-big 12 saftey at Texas Tech who now plays for the Odessa Roughnecks professional indoor football team who happens to be undefeated at 13-0.

Antwawn Alexander was all big-12 corner at Tech.

Jamie McCoy was Lee's qb last year and signed at Texas A&M. HIs game is alot like Reggie's.

Trent Hines is only a senior this year, but committed to A&M last year along with another fellow senior. Trent will be all-state this coming year.

gtownpoke
06-21-2005, 11:51 AM
yall havent talked about the fact that in the Oil Bowl Oklahoma sends their cream of the crop. Texas plays Oklahoma's best, Louisiana's best, California's best, and a Texas All-Star game. Our best players are not playing the best from Oklahoma. How about the fact that some of the best players cant play because they are already on campus working out and their team doesnt want them playing any games they might get hurt in. Anyway I used to live in Oklahoma... the Oil Bowl is their game to say we are better than Texas. They send their best. We dont.

Z motion 10 out on 2
06-21-2005, 12:00 PM
The Oklahoma JUCO guys were D-1 talents, NEO gets the top guys from Oklahoma who don't qualify academically NEO is the only JUCO that plays football in Oklahoma and they had several players represented...I thought the top 15 guys or so were about equal but Oklahoma had more depth than TX their guys 15-50 were a LOT better than the TX guys

They do have a historic program there at NEO BUT last year they went 4-5 and finished 2nd to last in the conference. Blinn went to the playoffs and also the Sea Island Bowl. One of the Texas players signed with Blinn.

I don't buy for one minute that the Oklahoma atheletes are more talented or had more depth. Last year Texas beat them 40-10. This year we had a QB that played terrible, a spread system that the players didn't have down, and no chemsitry to speak of.

Now the DB's from Texas did just get out played for what ever reason and both safeties are Big 12 signees.

lepfan
06-21-2005, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by gtownpoke
yall havent talked about the fact that in the Oil Bowl Oklahoma sends their cream of the crop. Texas plays Oklahoma's best, Louisiana's best, California's best, and a Texas All-Star game. Our best players are not playing the best from Oklahoma. How about the fact that some of the best players cant play because they are already on campus working out and their team doesnt want them playing any games they might get hurt in. Anyway I used to live in Oklahoma... the Oil Bowl is their game to say we are better than Texas. They send their best. We dont.

Do I understand you right...Oklahoma sends their "cream of the crop" and Texas just sends what is left over? Ummm, last time I checked it was more than just Texas kids who were "already on campus working out". I liked living in Texas and would move back in a heartbeat. There are great athletes in Texas....but, all great athletes are not from Texas.

The game for Oklahoma to say they are better than Texas is played at the Cotton Bowl in Dallas each year. (AKA the Red River Shootout!)

It was a game...Oklahoma beat Texas in the '05 Oil Bowl. There is no need for lame excuses to try to justify the outcome. Just take the mark in the L column and next year the tables may be turned.

Gobbla2001
06-21-2005, 12:18 PM
Josh Norman won a national championship at Oklahoma and now plays for the San Diego Chargers.

John Norman was a all-big 12 saftey at Texas Tech who now plays for the Odessa Roughnecks professional indoor football team who happens to be undefeated at 13-0.

Antwawn Alexander was all big-12 corner at Tech.

Jamie McCoy was Lee's qb last year and signed at Texas A&M. HIs game is alot like Reggie's.

Trent Hines is only a senior this year, but committed to A&M last year along with another fellow senior. Trent will be all-state this coming year.

I said at the position of 'running back'... read it again and get back to me...

Gobbla2001
06-21-2005, 12:20 PM
bob ledbetter ran the spread just not near as much as they do now.

Ledbetter... 'not near as much'... would that mean they're a different program now?

I remember a lot of things, hard to believe seeing how I came from the 2001 Suck Class at Cuero...

Gobbla2001
06-21-2005, 12:22 PM
Can anyone name me any Palestine/Midland Lee running backs that have done anything good out of high school (at their positions) besides Cedric Benson and Adrian Peterson?

Then why in the heck are they two of the best running backs in all of football?

Here, I'll make it easy for you, PP...

HighSchool Fan
06-21-2005, 12:35 PM
Ledbetter... 'not near as much'... would that mean they're a different program now?

I remember a lot of things, hard to believe seeing how I came from the 2001 Suck Class at Cuero...

someone said earlier that they thought SLC started running the spread in the 90's. ledbetter was at SLC until 2001. it's the same program with just different coaches.

gtownpoke
06-21-2005, 02:27 PM
no we dont send "whats left over". but at the same time we do not send our flat out best. and yes that is their game to prove oklahoma is better. the red river shootout is texas north vs. texas south, and texas north has some kids from oklahoma. ive played football in both states, and the mindset about the game is obvious.

Old Green
06-21-2005, 02:40 PM
they've had the current system since the late 80's. they had a QB with the last name Dane i think, he was suppose to be a great QB coming out of SLC, ended up playing safety at TT. the system is what makes the players there, just watch and see chase ride the bench or change positions. Dane Johnson was the RB for SLC in 93 and played DB for Texas Tech. The QB for SLC was Kris Brown who signed with nebraska as a kicker. Both were great Atheletes.

Gobbla2001
06-21-2005, 05:05 PM
Originally posted by Old Green
Dane Johnson was the RB for SLC in 93 and played DB for Texas Tech. The QB for SLC was Kris Brown who signed with nebraska as a kicker. Both were great Atheletes.

Dang, Mr. V did his homework...

Nice...

Old Green
06-21-2005, 05:13 PM
Dang, Mr. V did his homework...

Nice... I remember the 14-6 loss to SLC. Cuero was ahead at the Half. Those two from SLC Scored on 2 long runs to win.

Gobbla2001
06-21-2005, 05:14 PM
I remember the 14-6 loss to SLC. Cuero was ahead at the Half. Those two from SLC Scored on 2 long runs to win.

Yah, I was surprised we did so well considering our lack of experience... I believe 9 or 10 of the guys starting in the game had not played in a varsity game until the playoffs that year...

HighSchool Fan
06-21-2005, 05:17 PM
Dane Johnson was the RB for SLC in 93 and played DB for Texas Tech. The QB for SLC was Kris Brown who signed with nebraska as a kicker. Both were great Atheletes.

i know this is just splitting hairs here but here is a small part of an article written about dane johnson

By SAM SCOTT
Avalanche-Journal

The defensive backfield is one of the Raiders' most experienced areas. Johnson is a three-year starter at free safety, and cornerbacks Tony Darden and Corey Turner return with a year's worth of starting experience.

Old Green
06-21-2005, 05:21 PM
i know this is just splitting hairs here but here is a small part of an article written about dane johnson

By SAM SCOTT
Avalanche-Journal

The defensive backfield is one of the Raiders' most experienced areas. Johnson is a three-year starter at free safety, and cornerbacks Tony Darden and Corey Turner return with a year's worth of starting experience. Dane Johnson had a real good supporting cast at TT.

Dane was also a starter on SLC State Championship Basketballteam in 93.

HighSchool Fan
06-21-2005, 05:21 PM
Dane Johnson had a real good supporting cast at TT.

Dane was also a starter on SLC State Championship Basketballteam in 93.

he was voted just recently as the best athlete to every go to SLC

Old Green
06-21-2005, 05:23 PM
he was voted just recently as the best athlete to every go to SLC I do believe it. For 2 years he was the backbone for SLC offense. Back to Back state champs.

HighSchool Fan
06-21-2005, 05:24 PM
I do believe it. For 2 years he was the backbone for SLC offense. Back to Back state champs.

i know that, he ran wild over gainesville

Old Green
06-21-2005, 05:27 PM
i know that, he ran wild over gainesville In 1992 SLC ran wild over a lot of teams. I believe they set a record in the Playoffs for most points scored.

HighSchool Fan
06-21-2005, 05:30 PM
i went and watched all the games between slc and gainesville except the last one, the only one that gainesville won

lepfan
06-21-2005, 05:54 PM
no we dont send "whats left over". but at the same time we do not send our flat out best. and yes that is their game to prove oklahoma is better. the red river shootout is texas north vs. texas south, and texas north has some kids from oklahoma. ive played football in both states, and the mindset about the game is obvious.

Pull the roster out bub....I won't get in a pi$$in* contest on that stupid (yes I said STUPID) TX N and TX S BS. (college players CHOOSE their college) :)

Yes the mindset is different when it comes to highschool football. I have lived highschool football in Oklahoma and Texas. I liked the experience of highschool football in Texas much better than Oklahoma. BUT, the mindset of college ball is no different in the states. :)

As I said before...it is a great possibility that none of the states send their "flat out best"...for all the same reasons. :)

Gobbla2001
06-21-2005, 06:35 PM
Originally posted by lepfan
Pull the roster out bub....I won't get in a pi$$in* contest on that stupid (yes I said STUPID) TX N and TX S BS. (college players CHOOSE their college) :)

Yes the mindset is different when it comes to highschool football. I have lived highschool football in Oklahoma and Texas. I liked the experience of highschool football in Texas much better than Oklahoma. BUT, the mindset of college ball is no different in the states. :)

As I said before...it is a great possibility that none of the states send their "flat out best"...for all the same reasons. :)

Yes, the Texas players chose to go there... BUT, the thing that gets to me is that 'This was won for all of Oklahoma'...

Name me one Texas player that went their to play for the whole state...

Yah, they may love OU after they leave.... but the fact is that they were Texas players helpinp OU win, and they didn't mind that... But if you asked those same Texas players that have helped OU succeed in the past whether or not they were representing the whole state of Oklahoma (which would mean High School football also), they'd most likely truely feel that their hearts belong to the state of Texas...

But OU, a college in Oklahoma, IS winning the matches between the Texas colleges as of now... so the OU fans, most from the state of Oklahoma, will gloat and gloat until someone stops 'em...

Someone? Vince Young?

gtownpoke
06-21-2005, 06:37 PM
im not talkin about college ball by any means. thats a whole different issue. on the high school level that is their game. i agree its a stupid arguement but it is legitimate. take away OUs kids from texas and they are good, not great. dont think im complainin, i grew up in stillwater and im a diehard oklahoma state fan. i guess im tryin to say that you could account it to pure numbers and how many all star games you can choose from if ur from texas. but the roster the texas team fielded is not a collection of the best players in texas, where the team oklahoma fielded is more their studs.

Gobbla2001
06-21-2005, 06:37 PM
Yes, the Texas players chose to go there... BUT, the thing that gets to me is that 'This was won for all of Oklahoma'...

Name me one Texas player that went their to play for the whole state...

Yah, they may love OU after they leave.... but the fact is that they were Texas players helpinp OU win, and they didn't mind that... But if you asked those same Texas players that have helped OU succeed in the past whether or not they were representing the whole state of Oklahoma (which would mean High School football also), they'd most likely truely feel that their hearts belong to the state of Texas...

But OU, a college in Oklahoma, IS winning the matches between the Texas colleges as of now... so the OU fans, most from the state of Oklahoma, will gloat and gloat until someone stops 'em... And their team of choice has EARNED them that right and I have no problem with that... It is something to take pride in, but just because OU wins, doesn't mean Oklahoma the real deal... Some of them boys were raised in the great state of TEXAS!!!

Someone stops 'em? Vince Young maybe? I dunno, it's not gunna be as easy as some may think...

(and I'm sorry I have edited this post so much, I appologize to the people who have replied before my editing was finished)

gtownpoke
06-21-2005, 06:50 PM
okay let me clear up what i said cuz i read it and it looks like i have A.D.D.
1st - on the high school level the Oil Bowl is Oklahomas chance to show they are better than Texas. You could argue that its because there are more players in Texas and more All Star games to play in, but you can look at the roster for the Oil Bowl Texas team and know that the roster is not the best kids in Texas playing. However for Oklahoma that is their chance to play the big brother and they are going to come with every thing they have. Granted they have kids that are already on campus too, BUT the difference is the kids that are allowed to play, they will play the best ones.
2nd - yes its a stupid argument but it is legitimate. I understand they CHOSE to go to school in mulletsville, oklahoma. BUT take away the kids from Texas on OUs team and they are good at best. They still have athletes but they are not great. Its a simple fact.
3rd - dont think im complainin by any means. I grew up in Stillwater and i am and will always be a diehard Oklahoma State fan. we signed 11 kids from texas and 3 from oklahoma.

lepfan
06-21-2005, 07:44 PM
they'd most likely truely feel that their hearts belong to the state of Texas...

That is true. I am an Okie 100%. I have lived in Texas (for many many years), and like I said, would move back to Texas in a heartbeat. You never really break the ties to your "home state". My heart is with OU on college ball...but, I do enjoy the Texas high school hoopla!!!

We are appreciative of the Texas boys who choose to play for the Oklahoma program...I don't think anyone expects them to just forget their 'home'.

Gobbla2001
06-21-2005, 07:46 PM
Originally posted by lepfan
That is true. I am an Okie 100%. I have lived in Texas (for many many years), and like I said, would move back to Texas in a heartbeat. You never really break the ties to your "home state". My heart is with OU on college ball...but, I do enjoy the Texas high school hoopla!!!

We are appreciative of the Texas boys who choose to play for the Oklahoma program...I don't think anyone expects them to just forget their 'home'.

No doubt, Willy (;) ), I just figured I knew what the other guy was saying, he just wasn't putting the way I would or something...

Have to jump in the storm-cellar yet?

lepfan
06-21-2005, 07:50 PM
i grew up in stillwater and im a diehard oklahoma state fan

That explains a lot. We have always considered OK STATE to be a very large 5A High School Big City League.
:D

lepfan
06-21-2005, 07:51 PM
No doubt, Willy (;) ), I just figured I knew what the other guy was saying, he just wasn't putting the way I would or something...

Have to jump in the storm-cellar yet?

Not yet....I don't think I will either...I will just pray it will pick me up and drop me back in the lone star state. :)

gtownpoke
06-21-2005, 08:08 PM
man why you gotta pick on my boys?? were comin up in the world. i hope. you could have at LEAST said 6A.

lepfan
06-21-2005, 08:37 PM
man why you gotta pick on my boys?? were comin up in the world. i hope. you could have at LEAST said 6A.

Sorry, I didn't know if they still went up to 6A or not. (I have been out of the state a while)

Hey, if it is any consolation I went to school with Josh Fields' dad and aunt. That is as close as I get to OSU. :)

panther power
06-21-2005, 11:04 PM
ok smart a$$, all but jamie Mccoy were running backs but in today's age sometimes a coach will convert a high school running back to another position as wierd as that sounds....

Gobbla2001
06-21-2005, 11:07 PM
ok smart a$$, all but jamie Mccoy were running backs but in today's age sometimes a coach will convert a high school running back to another position as wierd as that sounds....

No, not a smart butt, I asked a simple question and wanted a simple answer...

But thanks, the info you have provided has put weight on my side of the argument...

Gracias

panther power
06-21-2005, 11:10 PM
Yu Becha! (spit)