PDA

View Full Version : Article on Cuero being DCTF #1 (Victoria Advocate)

Gobbla2001
06-16-2005, 05:17 PM
It had a nice picture of MR. chubbed_up runnin' someone over in the paper, but the online version did no display the picture for some reason... Darn, it was good signature material...

Tear it up, folks...

-----

Cuero No. 1 in Texas Football poll

E-mail Story to a Friend Printer Friendly
Thursday, June 16th, 2005

Cuero athletic director and head football coach Mark Reeve received a phone call early in May from a Texas Football magazine editor who asked if he wanted to argue against the Gobblers being ranked No. 1 in the preseason Class 3A poll.

"I told them no," Reeve said. "It's pretty neat deal. Of course, I told him we lost 10 starters on offense and six on defense. We've got a lot of young kids. But we feel like we've got things rolling."

Even if Reeve had tried to dissuade the editor, it's doubtful he would have changed many opinions at the magazine. Cuero will be ranked No. 1 in the Class 3A poll when Texas Football arrives on newsstands around the state.

The magazine's release will be previewed on Fox Sports Southwest next Thursday at 6:30 p.m.

"It's a heck of a compliment for the kids, the program, and the community," Reeve said. "It's the only goal we've got in Cuero. It's something we talk about."

Cuero became the No. 1 team in the state in the Associated Press' Class 3A poll during the fifth week of last season and the Gobblers held onto the top spot while advancing to the Division I state final, where they lost 17-14 when Abilene Wylie kicked a field goal on the game's final play.

"We talked about this last year," Reeve said of being ranked No. 1. "We know it's the last game that counts. It's all just a speculation deal. It's something for people to have fun with. It does kind of put a target on you. But our kids are going to have a target on their backs no matter what." Cuero's lone returnee on offense is J.T. Rudd, who played mostly tight end last season. Rudd will see action at tight end and fullback on offense and end and linebacker on defense this season.

"He was one of our best players the last two years," Reeve said of Rudd, who is being recruited by a number of schools.

Kyle Noack will step in at quarterback for Matt Schumacher, who will play at Texas Lutheran this season. Reeve has no doubt Noack has the physical skills necessary to direct the Cuero

offense.

"The leadership thing is a big key," Reeve said. "That's something Kyle will have to learn. But he's been playing a lot of 7-on-7. He's been getting a lot of snaps doing that and that should help him a lot. I think Kyle's going to be fine."

Noack will be taking snaps behind a new offensive line, which won't be as big as last season, but should be more athletic.

The biggest unknown about the Cuero offense concerns the health of running back Latrael Cooper, who committed to Texas A&M in March.

Cooper rushed for 1,268 yards and 16 touchdowns as a sophomore before missing all of last season after tearing the anterior, lateral, and posterior ligaments in his left knee in Cuero's first scrimmage.

Cooper has been running and rehabbing the knee and has been cleared to participate in two-a-day drills, which begin Aug. 1.

"We're going to watch him awful close," Reeve said. "It's not one of those deals where we're going to throw him into the fire. He's going to have to prove he's ready. But all the reports we get from the doctors say he's ahead of schedule. I know he's worked awfully hard."

Cuero will have outstanding speed at wide receiver and in the secondary, especially with the return of three members of the 400- and 800-meter relay teams that finished first at the state track meet.

In addition, Dason Jackson, who missed most of last season with a neck injury, is expected to return at linebacker.

"The big keys will be the offensive and defensive lines and replacing two linebackers," Reeve said. "We may be moving some of our defensive guys to the offensive line so that would make us young on the defensive line. But it will be like the kids we had last year. We had a lot of first-time starters who played really well. I don't think it's something that's really difficult. You wonder about your depth but that's a matter of how many kids step up so other kids don't have to go both ways."

Reeve was pleased with what he witnessed during offseason workouts and has been encouraged by what he's seen during summer conditioning drills.

"We had the best Boot Camp we ever had going into the offseason," Reeve said. "We probably have more kids than we've ever had in the strength and conditioning program. The general attitude just continues to get better. Experience is the big factor. Not many kids have experience. Of course, it's not where you start. You have to get better. That's the key to any successful team."

Reeve's first order of business when his players return for two-a-days will be to make sure they remember how hard they worked to reach last year's state final.

"It's always tougher the second time because people look at you a little differently," Reeve said. "Everything is about chemistry. This is a different football team and we've got a new set of leaders. Our offensive line played for two years together. A lot of key ingredients are gone. But at this time last year, I couldn't have told you we would have done so well. We've got a good size offensive line and we're going to be athletic. There will be a maturing process that has to go on there. It's always different when you start over."

Mike Forman is a sports writer for the Victoria Advocate. Contact him at 361-580-6588, or by e-mail at mforman@vicad.com.

---

Gobbler Fan
06-16-2005, 09:50 PM
Got my Magazine today ......nice HS section and recruiting section that im always interested in . But that picture on the bottom leftside isint Latreal it's Justin W. ...I found a few mistakes but all in all who's to argue with the bible of High School Football.

DCTF is at wal-mart if anyone is looking for one .

44INAROW
06-16-2005, 10:26 PM
Originally posted by Gobbler Fan
Got my Magazine today ......nice HS section and recruiting section that im always interested in . But that picture on the bottom leftside isint Latreal it's Justin W. ...I found a few mistakes but all in all who's to argue with the bible of High School Football.

DCTF is at wal-mart if anyone is looking for one .

In Cuero?

Gobbler Fan
06-16-2005, 10:30 PM
Yes they have them in Cuero

Old Green
06-16-2005, 10:56 PM
I bought one an hour ago at Wal Mart in Cuero

44INAROW
06-17-2005, 07:43 AM
Originally posted by Old Green
I bought one an hour ago at Wal Mart in Cuero

I went last night as soon as I saw Gobbler Fan's post - I was there about 10:45 or so, they have plenty of them :clap:

gobbler grad
06-17-2005, 12:07 PM
will pick up my copy today, when I go to Wal-Mart...:clap:

underware
06-17-2005, 03:54 PM
Good luck Cuero! IT's gonna be tough. Everyone will coming to get you this year. Well? That's every year.

Go Bulldogs!