PDA

View Full Version : If you're a Texas Longhorns fan, you need to read this

KTJ
06-16-2005, 04:28 PM
(I know this is a 3A football board, but hey, it's the off season! :D)

Folks, words can't describe how big it was to land this recruit. This definitely puts UT in the same elite status as North Carolina, UCONN, Duke, etc. as far as recruiting and winning is concerned. To take this player right out of the backyard of North Carolina and Wake Forest speaks volumes for the UT Basketball program. You will definitely see Final Fours and National Championships at UT in the next few years with the recuits that are here now, that are coming in the future, and that were here in the past.

------------------------------------------

The Longhorns Shock the Nation
Rivals.com

Ever since Rick Barnes arrived in Austin as head coach at The University of Texas, he's taken consistent steps to move the Longhorn program to the level of a national elite. Along the way, he's secured some of the best hoops talent to ever grace the Forty Acres-including seven McDonald's ALL-Americans-and on Thursday he reeled in the biggest recruiting catch of his coaching career.

Suitland, Md. five-star forward Kevin Durant has shocked the college basketball nation and committed to play for the Longhorns. In doing so, Durant becomes the highest-ranked prospect to ever commit to the Texas program. A 6-9, 204-pound small forward, Durant is arguably the top overall player in the class of 2006.

The playmaking extraordinaire visited Connecticut April 30th and North Carolina May 7th before making his final official visit to Texas on May 19th. Many for the past few months penciled in the Suitland, Maryland native to be a Tar Heel, but Durant said his heart led him to Texas.

"I knew for sure on Tuesday. I felt the most comfortable around the coaches at Texas," he said. "It's a family atmosphere and that made me feel comfortable. Everything felt right. I'm looking forward to making my mark on the Texas program."

Durant knew that most people expected him to choose North Carolina with the momentum coming off of their national title, but Durant was looking for the best fit for himself as a person and a player.

"The atmosphere was what I was looking for," he said. "Coach Barnes told me that he wanted me to succeed as a person. He talked about more than basketball. Todd Wright showed me what he could do for me too. Other schools talked about how they could help me, but Todd Wright showed me."

With the Longhorns battling east coast powers North Carolina and Connecticut, nobody gave the Longhorns much of a chance to land the best small forward in the country. Durant's father Wayne Pratt says everything they were looking for in a program was in Austin.

"Texas did everything right. Coach Springmann did a very good job recruiting Kevin and Coach Barnes has a family atmosphere with his coaches and players, which is important to us," said Pratt. "It is the best situation for Kevin."

The impact on the Longhorn program could be far reaching with the decision of Kevin Durant. Texas has been knocking on the door as a recruiting powerhouse recently, but the program has raised itself to new heights by beating two of the top east coast powers for the top player on the east coast. The decision of Kevin Durant to play for Texas could open a lot of doors nationally for the program. TJ Ford was a trailblazer for the Texas high school players and now Kevin Durant could be the trailblazer for players from around the country. Durant knows what his decision means for the Longhorn program.

"I want to bring a championship to Texas. We have to work hard and play together and we'll get there eventually," he said.

Durant also wants to help recruit other players to the Texas program.

"I'm going to try and get D.J. Augustin and Darrell Arthur to come to Texas with me," he said. "I'm very excited about going to Texas."

What makes Durant arguably the top player in the 2006 class? He is the most skilled offensive player, by far, in the 2006 class. Durant's ability to shoot the ball from 25-feet out makes him nearly impossible to defend. If the NBA range jumper doesn't get the defender, then his ability to put the ball on the floor and get to the rim or pull up in the mid-range will. Durant averaged 19.6 points (12 shot attempts per game), 8.8 rebounds and over three blocked shots per game last season in leading Oak Hill to a 35-2 record. He shot 65 percent from the field, 43 percent from three-point land and 77 percent from the free throw line as a junior.

AP Panther Fan
06-16-2005, 04:45 PM
Wow, that is impressive and he is only a junior in high school, right?

The dad sure had some nice things to say about the UT program.:thumbsup: See, everyone wants to live in Texas.:D

Snyder_TigerFan
06-16-2005, 04:50 PM
ahh...he'll probably decide to go pro after next year. It's a shame he's not coming this year.

AP Panther Fan
06-16-2005, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by Snyder_TigerFan
ahh...he'll probably decide to go pro after next year. It's a shame he's not coming this year.

It sounds like his college education is important to him and his family.....soooo, let's hope he has his priorities straight.;)

KTJ
06-16-2005, 05:08 PM

Have you been paying attention to the news and the NBA age limit rule?

AggieJohn
06-16-2005, 05:18 PM

you are probably right

big daddy russ
06-16-2005, 06:13 PM
This is great for the Longhorn program and makes the Big XII an even stronger basketball conference. I hope he sticks around for three or four years... then all the other teams will have to step up to compete.

The conference could conceivably become another ACC-type hoops mecca if this recruit keeps drawing five-stars in from all over the country.

Snyder_TigerFan
06-16-2005, 06:47 PM
Originally posted by KTJ
Have you been paying attention to the news and the NBA age limit rule?

It hasn't been accepted yet though, has it? Isn't that one of the things on the table to discuss after the season?

sicem74
06-16-2005, 06:51 PM
go baylor beat texas in baseball

sahen
06-16-2005, 06:59 PM
Originally posted by sicem74
go baylor beat texas in baseball

dude, stop....ur getting as bad as aggiejohn...this thread is just a texas basketball thread, nothing to do w/ baylor or baseball....dont give the baylor fans a bad name, just chill out and comment on the right thread...

bevo
06-16-2005, 08:39 PM
Originally posted by sahen
dude, stop....ur getting as bad as aggiejohn...this thread is just a texas basketball thread, nothing to do w/ baylor or baseball....dont give the baylor fans a bad name, just chill out and comment on the right thread...

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Couldn't have said any better myself.

PhiI C
06-16-2005, 09:21 PM
Horay! Good news indeed!

Gp83
06-17-2005, 09:55 AM
Man that's awesome:clap:

District303aPastPlayer
06-17-2005, 11:33 AM
This a great landing. With the way that the Big XII has come on lately, i wouldnt be surprised at all if it rivals the ACC soon as the best college basketball conference in America.