PDA

View Full Version : 3a west texas district DCTF predictions

donjuan
06-15-2005, 04:58 PM
what are Dave Campbell's predications for the 3A district in West Texas that includes Greenwood, Monahans, Seminole, Fort Stockton, Lamesa, Pecos? - do not have the magazine yet

BHBrave08
06-15-2005, 05:00 PM
I don't know yet. I think I'm getting a copy this weekend, I think.

Ranger Mom
06-15-2005, 06:01 PM
I'm curious too....is kepdawg the only one with "the bible" so far?

kepdawg
06-15-2005, 06:03 PM
3-3A

1 Monahans
2 Seminole - D1
3 Midland Greenwood
4 Fort Stockton
5 Lamesa
6 Pecos

Ranger Mom
06-15-2005, 06:06 PM
Thanks kepdawg!!

You da man!:D

Pmoney
06-15-2005, 06:31 PM
wat about the snyder,wylie,sweetwater,clyde, and merkle district???:confused:

kepdawg
06-15-2005, 06:40 PM
4-3A

1 Snyder
2 Sweetwater
3 Abiline Wylie - D1
4 Merkel
5 Clyde

Ranger Mom
06-15-2005, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by kepdawg
3-3A

1 Monahans
2 Seminole - D1
3 Midland Greenwood
4 Fort Stockton
5 Lamesa
6 Pecos

That's strange!! I could have sworn that Monahans was the biggest school in our district!

kepdawg
06-15-2005, 06:49 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
That's strange!! I could have sworn that Monahans was the biggest school in our district!

Nope, Seminole beats 'em 634 - 629!

Ranger Mom
06-15-2005, 06:56 PM
Nope, Seminole beats 'em 634 - 629!

WOW!! Didn't Monahans used to be 4-A?

GWOOD
06-15-2005, 06:58 PM

I think Fort Stockton is the biggest school in our district, but that doesn't matter if they don't make the playoffs. But I'm like you, Ranger Mom, I would be surprised if Seminole is bigger than Monahans.

Kepdawg, did you get that stat from DCTF or from somewhere else. DCTF is very prone to make little mistakes like that.

Ranger Mom
06-15-2005, 07:10 PM
Originally posted by GWOOD
I think Fort Stockton is the biggest school in our district, but that doesn't matter if they don't make the playoffs. But I'm like you, Ranger Mom, I would be surprised if Seminole is bigger than Monahans.

Kepdawg, did you get that stat from DCTF or from somewhere else. DCTF is very prone to make little mistakes like that.

Aren't I the dumb one!!

I had this saved on my computer from the re-districing last year.

Fort Stockton - 686
Pecos - 676
Seminole - 634
Monahans - 629
Lamesa - 620
Greenwood - 509

Monahans just SEEMS bigger to me, I guess!:p

Ranger Mom
06-15-2005, 07:11 PM
4-3A

1 Snyder
2 Sweetwater
3 Abiline Wylie - D1
4 Merkel
5 Clyde

My money (what little I have ) is on Sweetwater!

wildstangs
06-15-2005, 07:11 PM
Stockton, Seminole, Monahans, Lamesa and Pecos were all 4A at some time during the 90's. The UIL website has Seminole at 634 and Monahans at 629. Stockton is the largest with 686 students, and Greenwood is the smallest (that plays football) with 509.

GWOOD
06-15-2005, 07:12 PM
Aren't I the dumb one!!

I had this saved on my computer from the re-districing last year.

Fort Stockton - 686
Pecos - 676
Seminole - 634
Monahans - 629
Lamesa - 620
Greenwood - 509

Monahans just SEEMS bigger to me, I guess!:p

OK. It's official...I am surprised!

wildstangs
06-15-2005, 07:12 PM
Our district is going to be very tough again. Sweetwater, Snyder and Wylie all return some very great players.

kepdawg
06-15-2005, 07:13 PM

I checked 2005 DCTF, 2004 DCTF, and the UIL website.

wildstangs
06-15-2005, 07:16 PM
So if we went by these predictions our first round games would be:

Wylie VS. Seminole
Sweetwater VS. Monahans
Snyder VS. Greenwood

Ranger Mom
06-15-2005, 07:18 PM
Originally posted by wildstangs

Snyder VS. Greenwood

DE JA VU!!

wildstangs
06-15-2005, 07:19 PM
I am still hoping for a Sweetwater - Greenwood playoff rematch. Only this time with different results. :)

Ranger Mom
06-15-2005, 07:20 PM
Originally posted by wildstangs
I am still hoping for a Sweetwater - Greenwood playoff rematch. Only this time with different results. :) :p :p :p

wildstangs
06-15-2005, 07:23 PM
You guys are coming out to the game this year right? I think its the third game of the year?

panther power
06-15-2005, 11:07 PM
Don't sleep on stockton, J.J. Hickman who was an all everything saftey and reciever, not to mention a 1st team selection on both sides of the balll, and a state qualifier in track , will be leading the blue under new coach Howard, and his new offense. Coach Howard was not avaliable for comment due to being a coach for the OIL BOWL.

Don't sleep on us, it's our title to defend as well.

panther power
06-15-2005, 11:19 PM
On another note, I would like to congratulate Fort Stockton's Wayne Jefferson on becoming a member of the UTEP Football Team next year! Great high school career, wish you the best in El Paso!

Pmoney
06-16-2005, 10:30 AM
All i can say...Wylie better enjoy this year...cause next year they r on the move to 4A:D ....my bet is on snyder....we get wylie n sweetwater on home turf

GWOOD
06-16-2005, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by Pmoney
All i can say...Wylie better enjoy this year...cause next year they r on the move to 4A:D

That has been said about Wylie for at least 10 years and somehow they manage to stay in 3A. I know that at least for one enrollment period, 4 years or more ago, they had the #1 enrollment in 3A.

Snyder_TigerFan
06-16-2005, 11:13 AM
....we get wylie n sweetwater on home turf

Wooohooo....even though it's a longer drive for me.

pero chato
06-16-2005, 02:13 PM
That has been said about Wylie for at least 10 years and somehow they manage to stay in 3A. I know that at least for one enrollment period, 4 years or more ago, they had the #1 enrollment in 3A.

Wylie and other large 3A schools manage to stay in 3A because the UIL raises the upper classification limit every alignment period. If the limits had remained constant for the past decade, Wylie and other schools would have been 4A at least two alignments ago. Having said that, I believe we will be a solid 4A either this alignment or next, due to the large jr. high classes.

pero chato
06-16-2005, 02:17 PM
All i can say...Wylie better enjoy this year...cause next year they r on the move to 4A:D ....my bet is on snyder....we get wylie n sweetwater on home turf

Snyder should be the best in West Texas this year with all the returners on defense. I look for this year to be another breakout year for them especially if they can find someone to replace Mr. Walker. And of course that will be tough, but I think they have enough weapons that someone will step up.

mustang04
06-16-2005, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by pero chato
Snyder should be the best in West Texas this year with all the returners on defense. I look for this year to be another breakout year for them especially if they can find someone to replace Mr. Walker. And of course that will be tough, but I think they have enough weapons that someone will step up.

i disagree, i still believe its anybody's game between snyder, sweetwater, and wylie, but i think the returners on sweetwater might just be too much for snyder or wylie, i mean c'mon guys...sweetwater had the 2nd fastest 100m dash sprinter in the state this year:D

oh well
06-16-2005, 06:05 PM
The Snyder Sweetwater game is not a track meet and the same speed was there last year in the quarterfinals on grass. That is where they will play in District as well. It is still wide open though I agree it is going to be exciting.

Pmoney
06-16-2005, 07:49 PM
Originally posted by oh well
The Snyder Sweetwater game is not a track meet and the same speed was there last year in the quarterfinals on grass. That is where they will play in District as well. It is still wide open though I agree it is going to be exciting.
Thats true

vet93
06-17-2005, 09:42 AM
The consensus seems to be that Snyder will be the class of west texas this year....I disagree, I think that they will be super, but have a feeling that Sweetwater will be the team to beat in West Texas by the end of the regular season and could make a run for the state title. In the other district, I like Monahans. They may be a year away from challenging Sweetwater/Snyder/Wylie....but they will. Coach Owens will have the green machine rolling....and they may even surprise some people this year. Wylie, lost alot but they usually reload. I think that they will still do well....they are just in a very tough district.

GWOOD
06-17-2005, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by vet93
In the other district, I like Monahans. They may be a year away from challenging Sweetwater/Snyder/Wylie....but they will. Coach Owens will have the green machine rolling....and they may even surprise some people this year.

Monahans is a team to watch over the next two years. The guys who will be juniors this year are the ones who never lost a game in football or basketball during their 7th & 8th grade years--at least, that is what I was told by one of the teachers in Monahans. However, with the drop of enrollment in Monahans over the last 4 years, I wonder if they have had any key players move away? I believe that there was only a couple of sophomores from that group last year who played on varsity.

Ranger05
06-17-2005, 11:46 AM
watch out for Greenwood next year they should be good they have two good classes coming up again.

vet93
06-17-2005, 11:50 AM
I agree...I think that the Rangers are a year away from being plenty salty and they will be good this year....I just don't think right now that they can challenge the likes of Sweetwater/Snyder just yet. I have heard nothing but good things about Coach Taylor and expect the Rangers to respond to his leadership.

Originally posted by Ranger05
watch out for Greenwood next year they should be good they have two good classes coming up again.

panther power
06-17-2005, 12:13 PM
MOnahans is in desperate need of a qb and other skill positions. There defense boasts to be junior, Chris Roberson, the kid has great potential but has a grade problem. I don't think Monahans will run away from anyone in district. They play 4-3A Merkel the second week of the season, so that should gage them if they make the playoffs.

donjuan
06-17-2005, 01:38 PM
Monahans will be very good. They have put together an unbelievable staff that includes three other former head coaches besides Owens. All of the problems in the program are not there anymore. Offseason weight program was revamped and was successful. New attitude and new excitement there. Greenwood will also have new excitement with their new coaches and will be good. Lamesa always has good looking people and Pecos could be good if they can get the kids to work and accept discipline. The question with Seminole and Fort Stockton is that they each had difference-makers that made their teams go. Each of these guys graduated. Each team will have to rely more on teamwork instead of big play potential to score lots of points. Would be like Vince Young not being with the Longhorns. They would be a very different looking team.

panther power
06-17-2005, 10:46 PM
Jefferson is replaced by first team offense and defense selection J.J. Hickman. who also has speed, sixth fastest time in the state in the 300 hurdles. He is an athlete, the kid can flat out play, all district in every sport he participated in. Brother played college football. We changed the offense to better accomadate our kids, no more spread to ler jefferson go, don't sleep on us. We still carry the golden ball of 3-3A as well...

WTF-82
06-20-2005, 12:13 PM
The Monahans juniors never lost a game in football and basketball
through there freshmen year. And when Soph. some kids got moved up to varsity level and some kids had some discipline action and this is the only reason they lost a game when Sophs. I have seen this class play if they make the grades and stay out of trouble could be one of the best classes in Monahans in 10-12 years. And now with Owens leading everyone in West Texas expects special things.

panther power
06-20-2005, 09:50 PM
Don't get me wrong, Monahans should have a team but it is like everyone is handing them the crown before fall practice has started. Like last year Kenyon was all-everything pre-season, and he ended up missing the playoffs and was all-district punter? It'll be intresting, but the point I am trying to make is games are played on the fiield not on desktops.

donjuan
06-20-2005, 10:34 PM
panther power, what offense has the Panthers went to?

panther power
06-21-2005, 10:33 AM
I can't share secrets......!!!

No, really it is a variation offense with multiple formations. I think I have seen atleast 5 different formations in spring practice.

Is mOnahans still having their 7-7 league this summer?

lobo12
06-21-2005, 06:35 PM
i dont think monahans will be as good as everyone thinks. they are in need of a qb. the one they have was good in the past but lacks size and now has an ankle injury. remember the seniors this year hadnt lost many sub varsity games. varsity is alot different you dont just play against one class. roberson will be good on defense but i dont think they will have a good defense. they do have some good coaches but they also lost some great ones. i have them in second or third place in district but they may surprise me. seminole is my district champion pick and i know greenwood should be pretty good. the one thing the monahans kids need to learn is to play together.......again, just my opinion, we will see what happens in the fall

panther power
06-21-2005, 11:09 PM
Good point Lobo, I think they need a qb as well, Roberson will be all-district if he can pass but other then that I don't see to many stars on the field for the green. I know we will be ok with Hickman at the helm, Seminole is in need of an offense, and greenwood always is tough, great tradition. Lamesa is one year away and Pecos is never gonna get over the hump.

It's anyone's district, like I said earlier the second game of the year for Monahans is Merkel, that will show alot.

I can't wait for the 2005 Pecos River Shootout, it's at LoboLand this year and you guys are looking for revenge.

lobo12
06-21-2005, 11:29 PM
monahans has a great running back as well, seminoles jv was great this past year, some hard hitters, monahans plays merkel first and andrews second i believe, and when did it start being called pecos river shootout lol? ive never heard that before

lobo12
06-21-2005, 11:30 PM
i can see a chance of monahans not making the playoffs, even if they do they will play sweetwater or snyder first rattle out of the box and dont see them winning that one

Snyder_TigerFan
06-21-2005, 11:30 PM
I just wonder how good of a guage Merkel will be. I don't know alot about how many players they lost, but I do know their standout, Riley Lambert (think that name is right), graduated.

donjuan
06-21-2005, 11:55 PM
Lobo12, Iv'e attended Lobo games for about 25 years. Great coaches leaving? Which ones? What have they done? I thought changes were made for the better? I know everyone in town and everybody I talk to is excited about the changes.

panther power
06-21-2005, 11:57 PM
In Stockton it's been called that for a long time, I think it's pretty cool. I tried to find a history about the rivalry but couldn't find too much. I know that it is always a very exciting game.

lobo12
06-22-2005, 07:47 PM
what great coaches....woodard the secondary coach and earle the defensive ends coach....what have they done...starting in 02 they were the defensive coaches with mitchell and two out of the three years they were there monahans had one of if not the best defenses in the area. secondary hardly ever gave up any pass yards until this past year, not to mention woodard is one of the best track coaches in west texas.......yeah everyone is excited about everything but think about that for a second, people are excited about running the ball again, they were always griping about hanna throwing the ball.....but remember in 02 all the people in monahans did was complain about not throwing the ball and then all of a sudden they want it back.....i think it is great that mickey owens is the coach he is a proven coach and the only one i wanted to get the monahans job....i dont have a problem with him or his system, just the way they went about things with hanna he deserved to have his contract renewed

panther power
06-23-2005, 09:38 AM
Good Point, i too thought it was very crazy for owens to clear house as soon as he got there. Getting rid of the track coach in the middle of the season, 2 weeks after winning the west texas relays?????

I talked with some people from monahans at work yesterday, very nice older couple, we must have talked abouth the game from this past year for about 30 minutes or so. I love a good talk over 3-3a football. They even told me they thought a running game was not the best offense to run with the kids that they have this year.......

Ranger Mom
06-23-2005, 09:56 AM
All this 3-3A talk is getting me so pumped up!!

I am beyond ready for the season to get underway!!

WTF-82
06-23-2005, 02:38 PM
Yes, but with Owens they will run and pass the ball. Very balanced offensive attack Owens brings.

LH Panther Mom
06-23-2005, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by ***-82
Yes, but with Owens they will run and pass the ball. Very balanced offensive attack Owens brings.

Very nicely put. It sounds like some others are quick to judge him before he has had a chance to prove what he can do with the kids. :)

lobo12
06-23-2005, 06:53 PM
i said i have nothing against owens i think he is a great coach and monahans could not have done better. all i am saying is i think he made some bad coaching moves and that it will take him more than half of an offseason to make a great team

LH Panther Mom
06-23-2005, 07:13 PM
Originally posted by lobo12
i said i have nothing against owens i think he is a great coach and monahans could not have done better. all i am saying is i think he made some bad coaching moves and that it will take him more than half of an offseason to make a great team

I gotcha...maybe he'll surprise some folks. Maybe not - time will tell.

WTF-82
06-24-2005, 09:50 AM
I thought Owens made some great Coaching moves his Football Coaching staff is ought of this world. Tons of character and knowledge. He needed to replace a lot of the Coaches they had.
I will not mention names but the Coaches he replaced and lowered positions was a great move because they were Jr hight level coaches in my opion.

WTF-82
06-24-2005, 09:54 AM
I have said this before and will say it againg Owens will throw the football. There will be times you will think they are a spread team and dominate with the pass and then pound the run they will. He has one of the most balanced offensive attacks I have ever seen. He is a great offensive coach.

WTF-82
06-24-2005, 10:06 AM
Monahans will have a better QB than last year the all-everything QB loboes had last year was not even the top QB on the team but he was the one Hanna and Burnett wanted thats why they were replaced no hard feelings from anyone please just had to tell it how it is.
Anytime you run the spread on a decent team a average QB will have some numbers. SPECIALLY WHEN YOU HAVE HOT NUMBERS AGAINST LAMES AND PECOS.

lobo12
06-24-2005, 10:30 PM
who in ur opinion was a better quarterback on the team. why wouldnt they have started him look at the year he had the year before. he put up numbers against andrews and midland christian, he may not have had a great year but look how many points the offense put up a game...they would put up close to 30 or more a game but the defense would give up fifty. and saying he just put up numbers against lamesa and pecos, look at greenwood his junior year, an awesome team he put up great numbers on...no they did not have a great year but the o put up the points...you cant blame everything on him

panther power
06-24-2005, 10:34 PM
no, do not put the blame all on him, it just goes to the qb when the losses come. He had skills, that was obvious. He was just to small framed to have a huge impact. In the open field he could possibly take it to the house, had poise in the pocket. Offense was just to predictable to be effective.....For any kid to win any district mvp you have to be the best player in the district for that year.

lobo12
06-24-2005, 10:46 PM
see but i think the offense was effective....they put up what was it close to fifty against yall but yall just scored more they put up alot against many teams including state champs midland christian, in my opinion i think that the offense was there but o well its over now

panther power
06-24-2005, 10:52 PM
very true. he was a playmaker fo sure. Like here in stockton, when we lost 3 games by a combined 7 points the town was saying jefferson was a ball hog, he needed to share. We win the district and everybody loves the kid. Losses always fall on the qb.

Cant wait for next year!

vet93
06-25-2005, 09:13 AM
Coach Owens is a run first guy. If he has the hosses he will cram the ball down your throat with a barrage of Wing-T plays. He likes to shorten the game when he is ahead and is great at clock management. He does not like to put his defense in trouble by going 3 and out on 3 consecutive plays unless he is behind and needs quick points. Yes, he runs a balanced offense...but it is built around the run. His passes are set up by the run. When you get comfortable with the Wing-T look and start keying that way, then he will go to a spread look and try to trick you up by spreading the field with recievers. If Coach Owens has the guys up front to move people and the running back to tote the mail....make no mistake....he will run the football until you stop him....and if you don't stop him he will keep running the football. To some this may seem boring...but if the results are a W.....then who cares. I just don't want people to get a false impression of the offense that Coach Owens runs...when people say he runs a balanced offense....they may get the impression that it will be 50:50 but in reality it may be 70:30 if he is able to grind the football on the ground. He is a hard-nosed west texas guy...don't forget that....it may not be as sexy as the spread, but results are hard to argue......I think that you will really like Coach Owens....He is a great guy and coach.

WTF-82
06-25-2005, 09:39 AM
Excuse me please, my replay was to everyone saying Monahans would no be very good because they dont have a QB please I assure you they have 2 QB that are very good and both have won many games look at there record and please dont tell me that varsity level is different everyone adjust to the varsity level Seniors graduate Juniors and Sophs step up. People are thinking cause Monahans lost there starting QB they wont be good so I replied on that I think Kenyon competed hard but people make it seem like he was the only player on the team last year. Trust me he was not I assure you I do think he competed, but I just dont think he was the best QB on the team not for running the spread if I wore the Head man there last year the #5 kid would be my QB simply because of football knowledge, Height, And major Arm strengh with lots of power to run through people when in the open field and he could run. Kenyon would of been my Starting Rover in the Secondary he can play defense with him and young Roberson and two hard corners the Secondary would have been stout. Kenyon was also quick to be a receiver also he was just simply to small for the spread at times he simply looked like he was not in control back there.

WTF-82
06-25-2005, 09:51 AM
And for Lobo 12 about the Defense that was Mitchell'sl Defense not Earle or Woodard Mickey Mitchell was the tough in that Defenseand he is still on staff. They have an excellent staff
know Owens was brillant on the way he put the Lobo varsity staff together. And trust me Mitchell has coached some great lobo Defense since the 80's through today. I still remember his rock hard defensive tackles in the late 80's.

donjuan
06-25-2005, 11:57 AM
From the powers in the school that I know, there were some attitude and professional problems with some of the assistants on staff. Don't think for a minute that the school board wasn't heavily involved in getting rid of some of the coaches on staff, because they were. Changes with personnel definitely needed to be made and they were.

WTF-82
06-26-2005, 10:03 AM
donjuan nicely said

lobo12
06-26-2005, 03:11 PM
mitchell coached the linebackers and called the plays, he had nothing to do with the secondary or other positions....like i said before this year look how good the secondary was and the rest of the defense...you cant say mickey mitchell was the only reason the defense was good.....dont get me wrong mitchell is a great defensive coordinator and i loved being a part of his system i just dont agree with getting rid of certain coaches because i think that they were good coaches

lobo12
06-26-2005, 03:13 PM
and about the kenyon thing, i think #5 was about to be the starting qb their junior year but he broke his arm the second game of the year and would not have been able to throw the ball...i then think kenyon stepped up and proved himself and deserved the start this year

WTF-82
06-27-2005, 11:48 AM
Lobo 12 nicely said I wish both of those kids Monahans had at QB last year luck in life they both competed hard to bad they fell a little short.

vet93
12-03-2005, 10:09 AM
Thought I would bring up this old post to see what everyone thought of Dave Campbell's predictions as the season has progressed....I knew the Mustangs and Lobos would be salty!!!!

Originally posted by vet93
The consensus seems to be that Snyder will be the class of west texas this year....I disagree, I think that they will be super, but have a feeling that Sweetwater will be the team to beat in West Texas by the end of the regular season and could make a run for the state title. In the other district, I like Monahans. They may be a year away from challenging Sweetwater/Snyder/Wylie....but they will. Coach Owens will have the green machine rolling....and they may even surprise some people this year. Wylie, lost alot but they usually reload. I think that they will still do well....they are just in a very tough district.