PDA

View Full Version : Darkhorses

Gsquared
06-15-2005, 05:59 AM
Anybody have any 3a darkhorses for this coming season?

VWG
06-15-2005, 03:19 PM
Look out for Breckenridge this year. They've got a good QB coming back who has started since he was a soph.
If the supporting cast can come together then they can make a run in the playoffs.

What's up with Commerce these days?

mustang04
06-15-2005, 05:58 PM
yeah....the CLYDE BULLDOGS ...haha SIKE

LH Panther Mom
06-15-2005, 06:22 PM
Originally posted by mustang04
haha SIKE

LOL!!! I haven't heard that in ages. :D

Gobbla2001
06-15-2005, 06:25 PM
I hadn't heard it in a long long time myself until Dave Chapelle's 'Rick James' skit...

ILS1
06-15-2005, 07:35 PM
I thought it was spelled "psych"????

:D

AggieJohn
06-15-2005, 07:48 PM
i think that the term darkhorse, is like saying "we tried our best, but came up short". Any person can call themselves a darkhorse, especially right now

mustang04
06-15-2005, 08:31 PM
Originally posted by ILS1
I thought it was spelled "psych"????

it is, actually it is "PSYCHE"....but it can be spelled both ways

ILS1
06-15-2005, 08:36 PM
Originally posted by mustang04
it is, actually it is "PSYCHE"....but it can be spelled both ways

You can spell it either way. Here's the meaning according to www.dictionary.com

psych also psyche ( P ) Pronunciation Key (sk) Informal
v. psyched, psych·ing, psyches
v. tr.

To put into the right psychological frame of mind: The coach psyched the team before the game.
To excite emotionally: The children were psyched to see the circus.
To undermine the confidence of by psychological means; intimidate: “Depending on whose personality is stronger, one can more easily psych the other” (Harold C. Schonberg).

To analyze, solve, or comprehend.
To anticipate or guess the intentions of: “Most others could never approach [his] ability... to psyche out the opposition's thinking so consistently” (Steven Brill).
Informal. To analyze and treat by psychoanalysis.

mustang04
06-15-2005, 08:40 PM
Originally posted by ILS1
You can spell it either way. Here's the meaning according to www.dictionary.com

psych also psyche ( P ) Pronunciation Key (sk) Informal
v. psyched, psych·ing, psyches
v. tr.

To put into the right psychological frame of mind: The coach psyched the team before the game.
To excite emotionally: The children were psyched to see the circus.
To undermine the confidence of by psychological means; intimidate: “Depending on whose personality is stronger, one can more easily psych the other” (Harold C. Schonberg).

To analyze, solve, or comprehend.
To anticipate or guess the intentions of: “Most others could never approach [his] ability... to psyche out the opposition's thinking so consistently” (Steven Brill).
Informal. To analyze and treat by psychoanalysis.

ok...now if u were half as smart as the person who composed that dictionary, u can look at the examples and realize that the way we are using it it is spelled "PSYCHE"

mustang04
06-15-2005, 08:42 PM
wait y am i arguing, u...well the dictionary is too smart for me, ill let you win this time.......SIKE!:D

ILS1
06-15-2005, 08:57 PM
Who's arguing?

Johnny Utah
06-15-2005, 09:41 PM
Canyon, Wimberley, Bellville are some darkhorses in 3a. Maybe some one out of Rockdale's district other than Cameron. I would also say Liberty Hill, their offense is very hard to defend, especially if they run 12-20 plays per drive. Carthage in 3a, just got a new coach from what I hear, big school, could be good.

AggieJohn
06-15-2005, 10:38 PM
darkhorse=http://www.kennys.ie/Artists/MooneyNoirin/Dark%20Horse.jpg

Gsquared
06-16-2005, 06:30 AM
Man, thats a real dark horse!

spiveyrat
06-16-2005, 07:20 AM
5 entries found for sike.
sike

Sik \Sik\, Sike \Sike\, a. Such. See Such. [Obs.] ``Sike fancies weren foolerie.'' --Spenser.

Source: Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary, © 1996, 1998 MICRA, Inc.

sike

\Sike\, n. [AS. s[=i]c. Cf. Sig.] A gutter; a stream, such as is usually dry in summer. [Prov. Eng. & Scot.]

sike

\Sike\, n. [See Sick.] A sick person. [Prov. Eng.]

sike

\Sike\, v. i. To sigh. [Obs.]

That for his wife weepeth and siketh sore. --Chaucer.

sike

\Sike\, n. A sigh. [Obs.] --Chaucer.

Looks like, for the most part, it's Old English.

etbu
06-16-2005, 10:08 AM
I dont know if they are a darkhorse but Silsbee should a very good team this year. I cannot believe that they are not ranked higher.

Gsquared
06-16-2005, 11:31 AM
What does Silsbee have coming back in the way of starters?

Split Back Veer
06-16-2005, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by Gsquared
What does Silsbee have coming back in the way of starters?

We have 6 starters on offense, offensive line averaging about 265, our QB is going to be a junior......he has been a 2 year letterman and was our cornerback last year, has great speed in the 4.5 range.

We also have 6 returning on defense, 2 defensive ends, strong backer, tackle, and both corners.

Our JV from this past year has been undefeated throughout there entire football careers , including when they were freshman in District 20-4a in the 2003 season against Ozen,P-nG, Nederland, WO-S and all the other "Big 10 schools".....................we won't have a problem filling in the spots with these guys.

X21AAAPlayer
06-16-2005, 01:37 PM
WOS?:D

mustang04
06-16-2005, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by spiveyrat
5 entries found for sike.
sike

Sik \Sik\, Sike \Sike\, a. Such. See Such. [Obs.] ``Sike fancies weren foolerie.'' --Spenser.

sike

\Sike\, n. [AS. s[=i]c. Cf. Sig.] A gutter; a stream, such as is usually dry in summer. [Prov. Eng. & Scot.]

sike

\Sike\, n. [See Sick.] A sick person. [Prov. Eng.]

sike

\Sike\, v. i. To sigh. [Obs.]

That for his wife weepeth and siketh sore. --Chaucer.

sike

\Sike\, n. A sigh. [Obs.] --Chaucer.

Looks like, for the most part, it's Old English.

GREAT GOING POINDEXTER!:clap: :rolleyes:

Phantom Stang
06-16-2005, 05:16 PM
:eek:Beware of the Levelland Lobos!!:eek:

football4life
06-17-2005, 10:09 PM
Canyon could definitely run the table again, permitting an injury free season. Levelland looking good eh? i think that is game 4 or 5 on the schedule.

Phantom Stang
07-02-2005, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by Phantom Stang
:eek:Beware of the Levelland Lobos!!:eek:
If a team is unranked, then it's ok to predict them as a darkhorse, right?:thinking:
So forget what I said about Levelland, too far out on too shakey of a limb.
I'll go for the easy money, and make my new darkhorse pick...... Sweetwater!!:clap: :clap:

PhiI C
07-02-2005, 05:00 PM
BEWARE OF THE HOWLING BEAR!!

AggiesAreWe
07-02-2005, 05:47 PM
I would say Silsbee would be a darkhorse since they are not in the top 25 pre-season rankings. Why they are not ranked is beyond me. They have 8 all district players returning, 5 off. starters, 6 def. starters, and 25 letterman plus a district champ JV team that beat Jasper by 2 td's, Kirbyville by 4 td's, their closest rivals. Jasper has 3 all district returnees, Kirbyville 4. Look for Silsbee to repeat as district champs again.

dutchman
07-02-2005, 08:26 PM
Dallas Madison,

Everyone is talking about Wilmer Hutchins, I have not had the opportunity to see Dallas Madison play, but I listened to their regional playoff game against Tatum last year. Tatum seemed very confident - as expected - coming into the game, I had listened to their previous game and they seemed to dominate the game, especially their quarterback Mr. Hodge, no one seemed to have an answer for his speed. Well Madison not only had an answer but four or five. While I was not rooting for either team, as the game progressed I was definitely pulling for Madison. They return five offensive starters and eight on defense and these young men can literally fly. The problem seems to be which one will score.

nutcrackin
07-03-2005, 02:55 AM
It was actually WH that you listened to play Tatum on the radio. Gilmer defeated Madison by 30 pts. the following night in Greenville. Madison had speed but no discipline or organization. WH was very talented but lost to Tatum by less than a TD because of mistakes. Tatum lost to Gilmer by 28 pts. the following week.

Originally posted by dutchman
Dallas Madison,

Everyone is talking about Wilmer Hutchins, I have not had the opportunity to see Dallas Madison play, but I listened to their regional playoff game against Tatum last year. Tatum seemed very confident - as expected - coming into the game, I had listened to their previous game and they seemed to dominate the game, especially their quarterback Mr. Hodge, no one seemed to have an answer for his speed. Well Madison not only had an answer but four or five. While I was not rooting for either team, as the game progressed I was definitely pulling for Madison. They return five offensive starters and eight on defense and these young men can literally fly. The problem seems to be which one will score.

dutchman
07-03-2005, 04:08 AM
Originally posted by nutcrackin
It was actually WH that you listened to play Tatum on the radio. Gilmer defeated Madison by 30 pts. the following night in Greenville. Madison had speed but no discipline or organization. WH was very talented but lost to Tatum by less than a TD because of mistakes. Tatum lost to Gilmer by 28 pts. the following week.

thanks for the correction. i do not know why i thought that was madison.

Gsquared
07-05-2005, 06:20 AM
Originally posted by dutchman
Dallas Madison,

Madison has atheletes but I really dont think they can go as far as thier talent should take them because they really need to settle that offense down. You can run 50 yard fly routes every other play trying to hit it big.