PDA

View Full Version : Two coaches die in boating accident

kepdawg
06-13-2005, 09:24 PM
Two coaches die in boating accident

June 13, 2005 - 8:58 p.m.
The Associated Press

SOUTH PADRE ISLAND, Texas — Two South Texas high school coaches died Monday in a boating accident in the Laguna Madre.

Coast Guard Petty Officer Bryan Borges identified the victims as Rolando Gutierrez, 33, of Edcouch, and Joey Torres, 30, of Weslaco. Jeff Torres, 33, of Pharr, was rescued.

Gutierrez coached the girls' basketball team at Edcouch-Elsa, where Torres was an assistant girls' basketball coach as well as junior high track coach.

Borges said Jeff Torres radioed the Coast Guard about 11:15 a.m. to report the boating accident. The Coast Guard found him in the boat about eight miles north of the Queen Isabella Memorial Causeway, which links the mainland to South Padre Island.

Borges said Jeff Torres told them all three had been tossed from the boat when a big wave hit while they were trying to fix a steering problem. He didn't know where the other two were.

Coast Guard crews on the water and in the air found the men. The first was found floating on his back about a mile away. Rescuers performed cardiopulmonary resuscitation, but the man was pronounced dead at the hospital in Brownsville.

The second man, spotted in the water by a helicopter crew, was pronounced dead by a justice of the peace when the searchers reached land.

GOFOR2
06-13-2005, 09:29 PM
Thats terrible. My prayers are with the families.

CHS_CG
06-13-2005, 09:31 PM
how horrible. Caldwell send their prayers!

44INAROW
06-13-2005, 09:47 PM
that is terrible, sending prayers from Cuero :(

turbostud
06-13-2005, 11:17 PM
They were not wearing life jackets. I will never understand why people get in boats without putting on life jackets. 3 rules to boating. Always wear a life jacket, bring a cell phone or radio, and bring a friend. Who knows where you are going???

AggieJohn
06-14-2005, 01:44 AM
exactly

gobbler84
06-14-2005, 02:58 PM
The three Coach Reeves(Mark, Travis, and Charlie) all went on a Boating trip today.

Sending more prayers from Cuero.

Phil C
06-14-2005, 04:00 PM
Prayers from Sinton too. A sad tragedy that everyone is sorry to hear about.

Bandera YaYa
06-14-2005, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by turbostud
They were not wearing life jackets. I will never understand why people get in boats without putting on life jackets. 3 rules to boating. Always wear a life jacket, bring a cell phone or radio, and bring a friend. Who knows where you are going??? I also do not understand why people continue to not wear their life jackets....same goes for seat belts......such a sad, tragic thing......God bless their families.....

AP Panther Fan
06-14-2005, 04:21 PM
Very sad:(

Thoughts and prayers for these families from Aransas Pass.