PDA

View Full Version : Dave Campbell's top 20

wos fan1
06-10-2005, 01:35 PM
Thanks to wosmustangs for calling me. He got his copy in Waco at the Hall Of Fame! Here's the top 20 and always some surprises!!

1.....Cuero
2.....Marlin
3.....Synder
4.....Wilmer Hutchins
5.....Atlanta
6.....WO-S
7.....Cameron Yoe
8.....Bridgeport
9.....Wimberley
10...Tatum
11...West Columbia
12...Gainsville
13...Devine
14...Sweetwater
15...Caldwell
16...Jasper
17...Sinton
18...Iowa Park
19...Barbers Hill
20...Waco Connally

Snyder_TigerFan
06-10-2005, 01:37 PM
I am surprised Abilene Wylie is not in there and that Sweetwater is so low...would think they would be in the top 10.

JHS_c/o_06'
06-10-2005, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by wos fan1

16...Jasper

I find his lack of faith disturbing....

wos fan1
06-10-2005, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by JHS_c/o_06'
I find his lack of faith disturbing.... I Guess I'm lying! Drive to Waco and get your copy and see! :mad:

Old Tiger
06-10-2005, 01:41 PM
DCTF mag top 20 isn't too good to me. I prefer Matthew328's...ne who 2 teams from 19-3a in there.

Phil C
06-10-2005, 01:44 PM
Congratulations Cuero. You have my sympathy! :)

kepdawg
06-10-2005, 01:45 PM
I Guess I'm lying! Drive to Waco and get your copy and see! :mad:

That's an odd reaction to c/o 06.

I expected Cuero at 1.

I certainly didn't expect Marlin at 2.

I thought Jasper would be a few spots higher up.

I thought Abilene Wylie and Liberty Hill would be in the mix somewhere.

JHS_c/o_06'
06-10-2005, 01:46 PM
I Guess I'm lying! Drive to Waco and get your copy and see! :mad:

I didn't say you were lying......

I said...

I find his (DC's) lack of faith disturbing....

meaning, that i dont understand why we are so low after what we have displayed over the last few years and its an allusion to a star wars line.....it had nothing to do with you.

sinton66
06-10-2005, 01:46 PM
Dave who?:D

BullFrog Dad
06-10-2005, 01:48 PM
#4 Wilmer-Hutchins I thought they voted down a tax increase to keep athletics going.

44INAROW
06-10-2005, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by sinton66
ROFL..............:clap: :clap:

Also, wonder where Palestine is ranked?

marlin fan
06-10-2005, 01:49 PM

2.....Marlin
:eek: :D

JHS_c/o_06'
06-10-2005, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by kepdawg

I certainly didn't expect Marlin at 2.

lol....how is marlin #2....they lost the only good player they had in Tank Smith. No offense Marlin people.

lol....this list is whack....i can picture the conversation between DC and the editor now...

DC: Hey....i got new Top 20 list
E: Ok dave...lets hear it
DC: Well....we got Cuero at #1
E: Thats a good pick.....i can see that...who's #2 Jasper?...Liberty Hill?....AW?
DC: HAHA....no....your gonna love this (looks around nervously....trying to make something up)....umm.....MARLIN...YEAH...thats it Marlin.
E:......you don't even try anymore do you.......(rolls his eyes..) when can i have it?

marlin fan
06-10-2005, 01:55 PM
they lost the only good player they had in Tank Smith. lol thats a lil harsh i dont think one Person can make a team go 12-2!!!!

wos fan1
06-10-2005, 01:56 PM

I said...

meaning, that i dont understand why we are so low after what we have displayed over the last few years and its an allusion to a star wars line.....it had nothing to do with you. Sorry. I thought Jasper would be ranked higher myself..:confused:

PurpleFreddy
06-10-2005, 02:01 PM
No Gilmer???
Yes, they lost many seniors, but they lost many seniors before last season, as well.

Marlin at No. 2?? That's crazy. Atlanta in Top 10 after the season they had last year?? Abilene Wylie had 32 juniors on their team last season (I counted them on their banner during their game vs. Royse City last season at Texas Stadium).

JHS_c/o_06'
06-10-2005, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by marlin fan
lol thats a lil harsh i dont think one Person can make a team go 12-2!!!!

Your right...and yall had some good players.....but i watched game film from the previous two games before yall played us....and he was just so explosive. It seemed like every play they handed the bal to him and he was gone. And now that he's gone, i just don't see ya'll making the same run you did this year. But thats my opinion and my opinion alone....just like this ranking list is. And if i am wrong, i promise, i will be the first to admit it and congradulate yall.

Phil C
06-10-2005, 02:03 PM
Hey District is it on sale at HEB yet?

marlin fan
06-10-2005, 02:04 PM
Your right...and yall had some good players.....but i watched game film from the previous two games before yall played us....and he was just so explosive. It seemed like every play they handed the bal to him and he was gone. And now that he's gone, i just don't see ya'll making the same run you did this year. But thats my opinion and my opinion alone....just like this ranking list is. And if i am wrong, i promise, i will be the first to admit it and congradulate yall. its okay!! im really shocked that he has us ranked that high myself but to call us a one man team just kinda hit a nerv!!

JHS_c/o_06'
06-10-2005, 02:05 PM
I thought Jasper would be ranked higher myself

Trust me...lol....its fine. The lower he puts us on the list will make it all the sweeter when he has to say..." wow.....i really blew that one didnt I guys" at the end of december.

wos fan1
06-10-2005, 02:06 PM
Remember guys these are just rankings. But yes there seems to be more surprises than usual this year. :crazy:

wos fan1
06-10-2005, 02:08 PM
Back in the 80's when we were 4A and won 2 State Titles one of the seasons we weren't even ranked and we won it all in 4a! We liked not being ranked that season...;)

gato 76
06-10-2005, 02:18 PM
WOS1 can you post the 4a top 20.

mwynn05
06-10-2005, 02:36 PM
Off the top of my head i see that Fairfield plays 4 teams on that list.

mwynn05
06-10-2005, 02:40 PM
I Guess I'm lying! Drive to Waco and get your copy and see! :mad: where are they selling at ayt because i happen to be going to waco today and until what time

kepdawg
06-10-2005, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by mwynn05
where are they selling at ayt because i happen to be going to waco today and until what time

Texas Sports Hall of Fame which is open until 5.

mwynn05
06-10-2005, 02:46 PM
Yea i just called...i wont be leaving until 4:30 or 5..i guess i wont make it in time.

j_dog
06-10-2005, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by marlin fan
its okay!! im really shocked that he has us ranked that high myself but to call us a one man team just kinda hit a nerv!!
Jasper fans know Marlin was more than a one man team. Just as Jasper was, and is, more than just Moye. But he sure does help! :) Jasper perhaps should not have been in the top five, although I am surprised that they are not. I do expect them to finish way higher than at 16th, and possibly could take it all. They probably have way more talent returning this year than they did year before last when they still went all the way to the Semi's.

DC is just another opinion. I pretty well quit putting much stock in his ratings years ago.

spiveyrat
06-10-2005, 02:50 PM

I said...

meaning, that i dont understand why we are so low after what we have displayed over the last few years and its an allusion to a star wars line.....it had nothing to do with you.

I got it. ;)

GUNHO
06-10-2005, 03:04 PM
I think Jasper is about 12 spots to low and turkey season is going to come early.Sorry Cuero I just had to.:D

RdaleBoi08
06-10-2005, 03:21 PM
Caldwell Is Not A Top 20 Team

ILS1
06-10-2005, 03:58 PM
Man,Liberty Hill gets no respect!!! I definitely think they are a Top 20 team.

:eek:

PurpleFreddy
06-10-2005, 04:08 PM
Didn't they graduate their entire backfield, ILS?

Haunta Yo
06-10-2005, 04:12 PM
No, most of their o-line did though.

kepdawg
06-10-2005, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by PurpleFreddy
Didn't they graduate their entire backfield, ILS?

I could be mistaken, but I believe the QB graduated but the TB and HB from a backfield that had over 7,000 yards is back.

ILS1
06-10-2005, 04:19 PM
I believe the QB,the FB and most of the O- line did. But they still have both the TB and HB returning for another year. I think they will still do alot of damage!!!!

:)

RdaleBoi08
06-10-2005, 04:36 PM
True I Agree On That!

BHKrystal06
06-10-2005, 04:36 PM
19...Barbers Hill

Dude...what?

jason
06-10-2005, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by ILS1
I believe the QB,the FB and most of the O- line did. But they still have both the TB and HB returning for another year. I think they will still do alot of damage!!!!

:) replacing their QB wont he THAT difficult of a task...they just gotta find somebody who can take a snap, turn around, and hold the ball out for the RB to take.....

i think they have 2 of their stud RB's comin back....they'll be good again this year....

bullfrog_alumni_02
06-10-2005, 05:05 PM
...maybe LH can turn on of there two rb/tb's into a qb and have an even tronger running game. im sure one of the two can get the job done with ease

jason
06-10-2005, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by bullfrog_alumni_02
...maybe LH can turn on of there two rb/tb's into a qb and have an even tronger running game. im sure one of the two can get the job done with ease someone from LH told me they already have a more than adequate replacement....

Old Tiger
06-10-2005, 05:10 PM
Dave must have toked the reefer before making this poll :D

LH Panther Mom
06-10-2005, 05:14 PM
:crazy: I'm sure glad I didn't see this before I stopped working for the day - I might've had a heart attack & not been able to finish. Sure we graduated some kids. Whoopdi-freakin-do. TB & HB are both returning and the QB played 2 1/2 games when Dex was hurt. Hutto, Manor & Cedar Park Vista Ridge all got to find out what he's got. Besides, it's just a pre-season ranking - we'll be more concerned with those post-season ones. :D (Watch out though...this will probably light a HUGE fire under those boys's butts in order to prove him wrong.)

WO-S folks, I had someone tell me I was nuts several weeks when I said you'd be in top 10 pre-season rankings. ;) Looks like I pegged that one. :)

LH Panther Mom
06-10-2005, 05:15 PM
Originally posted by jason
someone from LH told me they already have a more than adequate replacement....

Yep...we do. :D

Gobbler Fan
06-10-2005, 05:30 PM
As far as L.H.. Finding replacments at guard and if Im correct both were senior's last year (?) and with the type of offensive scheme they run will be critical and will determine how they do this year...... But I will add it's hard to replace 40td's and 2000+ yds' .

The team overlooked is Palestine they should be in the top 20 .

Was hoping for a top5 for the Gobblers but Dave blew that one all to hell ....:D now that big red target is on the back but I have confidence. Cuero will not be as big but will be faster and more athletic than last year . Now to just stay away from the injury bug that hit us so hard last year .

When will the magazine hit the stores down here anyone know ?

injuredinmelee
06-10-2005, 05:39 PM
this magazine has been crap for the last 4 years. I hope this years is better. So far looking at this list its a joke. No way the defending Champ doesnt get any love. Sure they lose alot but they lose alot every year and keep making the playoffs year in and year out.

LH Panther Mom
06-10-2005, 05:41 PM
Originally posted by Gobbler Fan
As far as L.H.. Finding replacments at guard and if Im correct both were senior's last year (?) and with the type of offensive scheme they run will be critical and will determine how they do this year...... But I will add it's hard to replace 40td's and 2000+ yds' .

The team's overlooked are Wimberly and Palestine both should be in the top 20 .
Chris Luckey, all-state Guard returns. And yes, Lawhorn will be tough to replace but Escamilla & Kociuba should be able to pick up some of the slack.

Wimberley's listed at # 9. :rolleyes: ;)

When will the magazine hit the stores down here anyone know ?
June 21, I believe.

Gobbler Fan
06-10-2005, 05:48 PM
Maybe I need to go to have my eyes checked
:rolleyes: yep there they are .

LH Panther Mom
06-10-2005, 05:50 PM
Maybe I need to go to have my eyes checked
:rolleyes: yep there they are .

Just so you know - I wasn't rolling my eyes at you, but at Wimberley. :D

wildstangs
06-10-2005, 06:17 PM
Wylie not making that list is ridiculous. Snyder is ranked VERY high. They do have two great Qb's coming back, but they also lost Walker, Castillo, and the big offensive lineman.

vet93
06-10-2005, 06:35 PM
I agree with Wildstangs.....Wylie should not be a top 10 team based upon graduation but you have to look at their history and the fact that they graduate a load almost every year and still reload. They also have Keenum coming back at QB....he is the one who executed the play that put Wylie in a position to win.

Originally posted by wildstangs
Wylie not making that list is ridiculous. Snyder is ranked VERY high. They do have two great Qb's coming back, but they also lost Walker, Castillo, and the big offensive lineman.

CHS_CG
06-10-2005, 07:27 PM
Originally posted by RdaleBoi08
Caldwell Is Not A Top 20 Team

I was shocked and surprised about this also... and I am from Caldwell lol. I guess we get to see what happens.. We lost a lot of good players last years but still have some good ones also. Only time will tell.

injuredinmelee
06-10-2005, 07:57 PM
Originally posted by vet93
I agree with Wildstangs.....Wylie should not be a top 10 team based upon graduation but you have to look at their history and the fact that they graduate a load almost every year and still reload. They also have Keenum coming back at QB....he is the one who executed the play that put Wylie in a position to win.

They also have Jared Robertson(best dlineman im 3A last year), Austin Sayre and a few other defensive starters coming back. Sayre was huge on D in the playoffs (was in Danes face all night long against Decatur, 5 sacks). I saw him at the CC the other day and he said he made the move to tailback in the spring. This kid is tough and a fighter. I think hell do great at TB.

Snyder_TigerFan
06-10-2005, 08:36 PM
Originally posted by wildstangs

I agree that Snyder is ranked high. They are going to be really good defensively. To be honest, I think Snyder and Sweetwater can change rankings and I would believe it. Snyder is losing some very good offensive weapons, but I believe they have the players to follow in the footsteps. Sweetwater, on the other hand, has some very good returning players and will have a lot of team speed. I won't be surpised to see them playing for a championship (that is if they get past Snyder!)

sicem74
06-10-2005, 08:38 PM
Originally posted by Tiger WR
Dave must have toked the reefer before making this poll :D
cough cough man cameron pretty up there no one has talked about them? higher than jasper too!

rockdale80
06-10-2005, 08:42 PM
Originally posted by sicem74
cough cough man cameron pretty up there no one has talked about them? higher than jasper too!

nothing to talk about......;)

jason
06-10-2005, 08:45 PM
cough cough man cameron pretty up there no one has talked about them? higher than jasper too! last year yall won a weak district and lost to the first good team you saw in the playoffs...

unless you got everybody back and they improved 100% then you're probably ranked too high and theres nothing to talk about....

from the looks of this poll, the only ranking that i am taking seriously is the #1 (sorry for the jinx cuero folks) ......

rockdale80
06-10-2005, 08:50 PM
Originally posted by jason
last year yall won a weak district and lost to the first good team you saw in the playoffs...

unless you got everybody back and they improved 100% then you're probably ranked too high and theres nothing to talk about....

from the looks of this poll, the only ranking that i am taking seriously is the #1 (sorry for the jinx cuero folks) ......

weak district? i disagree with that....cameron was alright last year, but they lost their qb and that will hurt them. not saying the district was that great, but it was by no means a weak district.

sicem74
06-10-2005, 08:52 PM
Originally posted by rockdale80
nothing to talk about......;)
who r u

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
06-10-2005, 08:54 PM
He's your uncle....

District303aPastPlayer
06-10-2005, 08:55 PM
it doesnt go on sale at the sinton HEB. we arent big enough to carry it, so the magazine lady says... but what does she know anyway. i buy mine in Annaville at Wal Mart

rockdale80
06-10-2005, 08:57 PM
who r u

who are you?

sicem74
06-10-2005, 09:24 PM
im c foster
u

RdaleBoi08
06-10-2005, 09:28 PM
ONe Thing District 19-3A Is Not A Weak District...Yall Will See

bevo
06-10-2005, 09:35 PM
Originally posted by sinton66

...exactly:thumbsup:

rockdale80
06-10-2005, 09:52 PM
im c foster
u

j randall

CHS_CG
06-10-2005, 09:55 PM
im c foster
u

hes somebody who probably knows more than you.
he also can spell better than you!

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
06-10-2005, 09:56 PM
Like I said Charles, he's your uncle...

LH Panther Mom
06-10-2005, 09:56 PM
Originally posted by BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
Like I said Charles, he's your uncle...

Now, you might want to think about that for a sec.... ;)

CHS_CG
06-10-2005, 09:58 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
Now, you might want to think about that for a sec.... ;)

for real.. that would be a horrible thing!

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
06-10-2005, 10:00 PM
Yeah, that would be a disgrace to me....I retract that comment. :D

District303aPastPlayer
06-10-2005, 10:01 PM
Originally posted by CHS_CG
for real.. that would be a horrible thing!

thinking... hmm dont expend too much energy :)

CHS_CG
06-10-2005, 10:02 PM
Originally posted by BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
Yeah, that would be a disgrace to me....I retract that comment. :D

i knew that wouldnt take long!

Gobbla2001
06-10-2005, 10:18 PM
I've said it once (or the last 4 times) and I'll say it again... Not being in the top 20 isn't THAT bad...

In 3A there are over 180 teams, being a top 20 team is pretty big...

Yah, he's gunna have some crappy picks, but he's going with a hunch... he had his people contact coaches etc... across the state and this is what they decided to go with...

I can remember last year people going crazy with Gainesville ranked at #18...

I can remember hearind "That is so stupid, he's smoking crack"... He may have been off on the #18, but only by a little, because obviously Gainesville didn't do what you thought they would...

I will say he has some good info down... and that would be Wimberly... They may be low, but that's a good start for them...

Fact is, I saw LH play Twice this year and Wimberly play twice this year... It was no fluke that Wimberly beat LH, they are a GREAT team and will only get better...

Outta respect I would have given A-Wylie a top 20 spot, but that's not how DCTF is operating, he's going with what 'he' feels like going with I guess..

However, he must have been smoking something, because I send him $100 to keep Cuero out of the top ten...

j_dog
06-11-2005, 12:01 AM
sicem, we Jasper folks took up a little collection to pay DC to put Yoe ahead of Jasper. Now the monkey is on your back, and there is no pressure on Jasper. :D Where Jasper is ranked is actually good for Jasper. No chance of the kids getting the big head there. :) What counts is where they end up at the end of the season.

Gobbla2001
06-11-2005, 12:03 AM
Originally posted by j_dog
sicem, we Jasper folks took up a little collection to pay DC to put Yoe ahead of Jasper. Now the monkey is on your back, and there is no pressure on Jasper. :D Where Jasper is ranked is actually good for Jasper. No chance of the kids getting the big head there. :) What counts is where they end up at the end of the season.

You guys must have paid him more than us Cuero folks did... either that or someone from Cuero ticked him off...

Oh well, from what I'm getting from the boys, they want the target... want everyone's best... they have a good attitude about it...

AggieJohn
06-11-2005, 12:47 AM
Originally posted by BHKrystal06
Dude...what?

yeah good publicity for an average program

WTF-82
06-11-2005, 09:45 AM
Abilene Wylie should in at number 3 and Snyder at top 20
Sweetwater should be in the top 10

neck_06
06-11-2005, 11:07 AM
does it really matter what the mag says? i mean really now, we all know that just about everyone listed in this thread is gonna make the playoffs which gives everyone a shot.........its still what like 3 months till the opening kick and we are already gripping??

personaly i think that the D1 Championship will be decided in the first round.....

#1 Cuero vs #11 West Columbia
@ Victoria Memorial Stadium
7:30 p.m. Friday ___________

marlin fan
06-11-2005, 11:10 AM
its still what like 3 months till the opening kick and we are already gripping??

[/B][/QUOTE] Personaly i like this gripping!! gives us something good to talk about!!

District303aPastPlayer
06-11-2005, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by neck_06
does it really matter what the mag says? i mean really now, we all know that just about everyone listed in this thread is gonna make the playoffs which gives everyone a shot.........its still what like 3 months till the opening kick and we are already gripping??

personaly i think that the D1 Championship will be decided in the first round.....

Gee thanks :)

Keith7
06-11-2005, 12:30 PM
Bridgeport #8???? that seems way too high

Atlanta #5!??!?! what year are we in???

CRHSeagle
06-11-2005, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by Keith7
Bridgeport #8???? that seems way too high

I totally agree. What was Decatur last year's poll? Top five. Lets just say that they are no were close to that as of last year. They must have developed some sort of passing game. They have alot on the line returning and Jones their stud RB and a young d but I still think thats a little high.

Gobbla2001
06-11-2005, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by neck_06

I've been told Cuero is set for D1 again, but I just won't guarantee it...

From what I've heard Hallettsville should be a playoff team again... I have heard Yoakum is done, I'll have to see that one to believe it, but I've heard a lot of talk about Luling making the 2nd or 3rd spot... They have the talent to, but I dunno, they just got their new HC about a month ago, right? I'd go ahead and say that Edna won't make it, but they brought them in a nice AD/HC this year, but I still think they're a year away after this past season's 0-10 showing... Gonzales carries the D1 spot, they haven't made the playoffs two years in a row and aren't expected to this year... But with Luling, Yoakum AND Gonzales a big '?' mark, one of them will come out and there's a chance it could be Gonzo, which would send Cuero D2 way...

wos fan1
06-11-2005, 03:10 PM
I can't believe that this topic has had over 1,600 views in 24 hours....:cool:

gato 76
06-11-2005, 03:58 PM
wosfan1 please post the top 20 in class 4a.from dcfm.

wos fan1
06-11-2005, 04:29 PM
Let me get the Info from wosmustangs. Hopefully I'll get mine Monday!!

Da Mules
06-11-2005, 10:56 PM
What, ol' Dave is not gonna pick Perryton in the top 3 this year??:devil: :devil:

GreenMonster
06-11-2005, 11:24 PM
Iowa Park isn't a top 20 this year either. Hawks will become very one dimensional. Run right. QB can't throw it. Hate to say it but it's true. Graduated a large group of kids that were the heart and soul of that program. My guess, #2 in Dist and win Bi-Dist then go home. Bridgeport is a bit high in my opinion but that RB Jones has the ability to carry that team a long way.

bullfrog_alumni_02
06-11-2005, 11:30 PM
i think bridgeport is right where they should be ranked. if there defense steps it up and plays to there full potential, they will be a force to be reconned w/. im sure there are alot of people who feel bridgeport is to highly ranked, but make no mistake about it, they will be going places this year.

Buckeyeman
06-11-2005, 11:40 PM
At first I was sort of outraged that Dave didn't have the reiging state champs Gilmer Buckeyes anywhere in his top twenty. A team that has gone 29-1 the last two years. Then I remembered that last year he didn't have them in his top 25 either. That's a good thing!!

kepdawg
06-11-2005, 11:50 PM
Originally posted by Buckeyeman
At first I was sort of outraged that Dave didn't have the reiging state champs Gilmer Buckeyes anywhere in his top twenty. A team that has gone 29-1 the last two years. Then I remembered that last year he didn't have them in his top 25 either. That's a good thing!!

At least they were picked to win district last year! This year they're picked third!

Buckeyeman
06-11-2005, 11:52 PM
Are you serious?? Who's picked 1 and 2?

kepdawg
06-11-2005, 11:54 PM
Are you serious?? Who's picked 1 and 2?

Pittsburg 1
Gladewater 2

Buckeyeman
06-11-2005, 11:56 PM
Now I am really outraged:mad:

lostaussie
06-12-2005, 06:16 PM
not a problem for the buckeyes. actually we kind of like it this way.29-1 the last 2 years speaks for itself. gilmer will be there in the end or close to it. too much returning talent and too good coaching. class 3-a championship comes somewhere through east texas again, and i am including jasper in east texas.

44INAROW
06-12-2005, 06:19 PM
I can't believe that this topic has had over 1,600 views in 24 hours....:cool: We are all just getting excited about the upcoming season and with the magazine coming out, that just added to the excitement :)[/

44INAROW
06-12-2005, 06:20 PM
Now I am really outraged:mad:

lol don't get mad, get even :D

mustang04
06-12-2005, 07:07 PM
lol....how is marlin #2....they lost the only good player they had in Tank Smith. No offense Marlin people.

lol....this list is whack....i can picture the conversation between DC and the editor now...

DC: Hey....i got new Top 20 list
E: Ok dave...lets hear it
DC: Well....we got Cuero at #1
E: Thats a good pick.....i can see that...who's #2 Jasper?...Liberty Hill?....AW?
DC: HAHA....no....your gonna love this (looks around nervously....trying to make something up)....umm.....MARLIN...YEAH...thats it Marlin.
E:......you don't even try anymore do you.......(rolls his eyes..) when can i have it?

Thats a way to use a scene from 'Family Guy' and change it around, where the editor is talkin to stephen king, haha well done:clap:

fury900
06-12-2005, 08:00 PM
keep your eyes no the lions

:D

j_dog
06-12-2005, 09:12 PM
Originally posted by lostaussie
.....and i am including jasper in east texas.
Thank you! :) I once went to a meeting in Henderson, and someone asked me how I liked "East Texas". I said I liked it because I had lived in it all my life! ;)

JHS_c/o_06'
06-12-2005, 10:15 PM
Originally posted by mustang04
Thats a way to use a scene from 'Family Guy' and change it around, where the editor is talkin to stephen king, haha well done:clap:

I'm glad someone caught that....:D

Johnny Utah
06-12-2005, 10:19 PM
The sleeper is at #9, they had Cuero beat last year, have everyone back!!! Look out!! Also, anyone that does not count Abilene Wylie in the mix will sorely be mistaken!!! Marlin has always had athletes, will this be there year??? Bellville could be another year or two away!!! Sweetwater gets #2 at the state track meet, should be ranked higher.

Gobbla2001
06-12-2005, 10:22 PM
Originally posted by Johnny Utah
, they had Cuero beat last year,

Man, this is about the, what guys? 6000th time we've heard this one?

FACT: Had our player not outmuscled their QB and stripped the ball from him, and had our player not picked it up and scored (this one posts here, tell him this), what is to say we wouldn't have gotten the ball back (it was 3rd down and W'ly was deep in their own territory) and scored ourselves?

Key word here, HAD!... another key word? Didn't

etbu
06-12-2005, 10:30 PM
Originally posted by kepdawg
Pittsburg 1
Gladewater 2
When is the last time Pittsburg had a good team? Gladewater????????????WOW

Johnny Utah
06-12-2005, 10:30 PM
You are correct, they did not win, but HAD the GAME in hand. That is why they play the game, anything can happen. Coaches coach, players play. Wimberley will be GOOD!!! If Cuero does go D1, going to be a little tougher. Yes they have the speed, but that OLINE was HUGE!!!! I have seen a lot of teams win state with GREAT Olines!!!! Should be interesting to say the least!!! Sweetwater's district might be the toughest in the STATE!!! No offense to Rockdale's!!!

Gobbla2001
06-12-2005, 10:31 PM
Sorry, I got a little out of hand there when I mentioned 'Had' as a keyword, because they did NOT have Cuero beat, they had a 7 or so point lead with like 8 or so minutes left, they just 'had' a lead...

And they also 'had' about 2 or 3 more chances to score with their offense on the field in that 4th QT but Cuero defense 'had' their A game going that qt...

Gunna be a tough team this year the Texans are...

Gobbla2001
06-12-2005, 10:32 PM
You are correct, they did not win, but HAD the GAME in hand. That is why they play the game, anything can happen. Coaches coach, players play. Wimberley will be GOOD!!! If Cuero does go D1, going to be a little tougher. Yes they have the speed, but that OLINE was HUGE!!!! I have seen a lot of teams win state with GREAT Olines!!!! Should be interesting to say the least!!! Sweetwater's district might be the toughest in the STATE!!! No offense to Rockdale's!!!

Yah, we had a huge oline, but that didn't help with Wimberly's quick front 7... this year's Cuero oline is quicker to handle that type of deal...

Johnny Utah
06-12-2005, 10:32 PM
I agree, should of could of. Cuero's defense is SALTY!!! Wimberley, I am sure is working on that 2 minute offense!!!

Gobbla2001
06-12-2005, 10:35 PM
Now you say 'everyone', how much is 'everyone'?

I noticed they had a couple of seniors starting but forget their positions...

No matter what, though, the guys they have coming back are dang good...

44INAROW
06-12-2005, 10:39 PM
The sleeper is at #9, they had Cuero beat last year, have everyone back!!! Look out!! Also, anyone that does not count Abilene Wylie in the mix will sorely be mistaken!!! Marlin has always had athletes, will this be there year??? Bellville could be another year or two away!!! Sweetwater gets #2 at the state track meet, should be ranked higher.

there is a certain poster that has said on the Downlow not once, not twice but many times.. Wimberley was the toughest team we played and Cuero has MUCH respect for them as well as all our opponents :cool:

Johnny Utah
06-12-2005, 10:45 PM
What is on Cuero's non district shedule? Their district going to be tougher??? Who will go D1 in that region? Everyone in high school football means more than most!!! We will all find out in December. Cameron that good??? Caldwell??? What about Canyon????

Gobbla2001
06-12-2005, 10:48 PM
We have West Oso, La Grange, Wharton, Sealy and Sinton in predistrict and I do not believe our district will be any tougher than last year to be honest...

Division 1 teams?

West Columbia out of 25, Cuero or Gonzales out of 26, depends on what Bandera does out of Wimberly's district, so either Bandera or Wimberly out of 27, most-likely La Vernia out of 28, MAYBE Somerset, Carizzo Springs out of 29, Sinton out of 30 Zapata out of 31 either Hidalgo or La Feria out of 32

Gobbla2001
06-12-2005, 10:50 PM
nm

WOS1
06-13-2005, 08:27 AM
Trust me...lol....its fine. The lower he puts us on the list will make it all the sweeter when he has to say..." wow.....i really blew that one didnt I guys" at the end of december.

Please realize that Dave Campbell sold his rights to the magazine a few years ago. He does not publish it anymore. I agree the top 20 does leave you scratching your head, but don't blame it on Dave. In fact (and this is a true story), when wosmustangs picked up his copy in Waco and was on his way out he saw Dave coming in, he stopped and talked to him and ask him if he remembered him from some years before and Dave actually did. While they were talking, Dave ask him if he could look at his mag because he had not seen it yet. So, wosmustangs magazine was the first that DC saw in 2005!! He signed it for him too. I thought that was a pretty cool story. He said that DC is pretty thin these days and is up there in age, but he's still sharp as a tack. Just FYI, DC started the Texas Football Magazine in 1960 sitting with his wife at their kitchen table!!

LH Panther Mom
06-13-2005, 08:34 AM
Originally posted by WOS1
Just FYI, DC started the Texas Football Magazine in 1960 sitting with his wife at their kitchen table!!

I think his wife could've done a better job at the rankings this year than whoever did them. :D ;)

44INAROW
06-13-2005, 08:41 AM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
I think his wife could've done a better job at the rankings this year than whoever did them. :D ;)

ROFL.. and little did they realize that 45 years later how many people would be waiting on the magazine to be released.

cdlvj
06-13-2005, 09:07 AM
Bout LH
Returning to the Panthers is TB Casey Kociuba, who amassed over 2500 yards rushing on the ground in 2004. Not to mention Kociuba's sidekick in the backfield, RB Matt Escamilla is also back on the rushing attack as well. Beside, Kociuba, Escamilla and OL Chris Luckey, the Panthers are very young on the offensive side oif the ball. Defensively up front and in the deep backfield, the Panthers are very experienced, Look for the offense to be a little weaker don't expect much drop off on either side of the ball

Old Green
06-13-2005, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by 44INAROW
ROFL.. and little did they realize that 45 years later how many people would be waiting on the magazine to be released. I have 38 issues of the DCTF. Some are special editions that just have the histories and records.
I let someone read my 1988 edition and they never returned it, i wish i could remember who i loaned it to.

Anyone have the 1988 Edition of DCTF. I will pay $50.00 dollars for it . Seriously

wos fan1
06-13-2005, 11:11 AM
I wish I had the 1985, 86, 87 copies! :foul:

Gobbla2001
06-13-2005, 12:45 PM
I wish I had the 1985, 86, 87 copies! :foul:

Same here, 14-2, 15-1 and 16-0 those three years...

RBARKER
06-13-2005, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by AggieJohn
yeah good publicity for an average program

Above Average! Ask our district:D

Seriosly though BH will have a pretty good team this year and should be able to compete well in the playoffs. The injury bug hurt BH last year, if everyone can stay health and the coaches do their homework in the playoffs BH will be fine.

wos fan1
06-13-2005, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
Same here, 14-2, 15-1 and 16-0 those three years... We were as well in 4A those years. In 1985 we were 5A and only lost 2 games. We lost in 1985 to Yates 19-6. They were #1 in the Country that year. In 1986 we dropped to 4A and won State and had 1 loss. In 1987 we went 16-0 winning the 4A title again. In 1988 we went to the Finals and almost won 3 Titles in a row. We lost to Paris and had 7 turnovers.

j_dog
06-13-2005, 02:46 PM
... In 1986 we dropped to 4A and won State and had 1 loss. .....
Not to take anything away from a great WOS year, but didn't you have two losses in 86? :thinking:

j_dog
06-13-2005, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by RBARKER
Above Average! Ask our district:D

Seriosly though BH will have a pretty good team this year and should be able to compete well in the playoffs. The injury bug hurt BH last year, if everyone can stay health and the coaches do their homework in the playoffs BH will be fine.
Going Div II again?

wos fan1
06-13-2005, 02:59 PM
Not to take anything away from a great WOS year, but didn't you have two losses in 86? :thinking: we did have 2 but when that clock hit 0 and we won it's the greatest feeling in the world to win State Titles! :) I'll have to think??

RBARKER
06-13-2005, 03:14 PM
Going Div II again?

We should. It all depends on Huffman getting into the top three. Huffman is a question on Offense this year, but their Defense should be outstanding.

WOS1
06-13-2005, 03:17 PM
Not to take anything away from a great WOS year, but didn't you have two losses in 86? :thinking:

Definitely lost 2 games that year. One to 5A Aldine MacArthur and the other to some team up North of us... I forget their name, but they came on the field barking at us like wild Dawgs... We got them back in the playoffs though... :D ;)

wos fan1
06-13-2005, 03:25 PM
Definitely lost 2 games that year. One to 5A Aldine MacArthur and the other to some team up North of us... I forget their name, but they came on the field barking at us like wild Dawgs... We got them back in the playoffs though... :D ;) Wasn't that sweet...:clap:

j_dog
06-13-2005, 03:26 PM
Definitely lost 2 games that year. One to 5A Aldine MacArthur and the other to some team up North of us... I forget their name, but they came on the field barking at us like wild Dawgs... We got them back in the playoffs though... :D ;)
I was positive about that Aldine MacArthur loss, but could not remember the name of that other team for the life of me! ;) :D

wos fan1
06-13-2005, 03:30 PM
I was positive about that Aldine MacArthur loss, but could not remember the name of that other team for the life of me! ;) :D Me either...:wave: :wave:

etbu
06-13-2005, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by RBARKER
We should. It all depends on Huffman getting into the top three. Huffman is a question on Offense this year, but their Defense should be outstanding.

Is the Daniels kid or Mason going to play QB?

WOS87
06-13-2005, 03:44 PM
I've got all the issues from the late-80's and early-90's. The first issue I bought was the 1986 issue right before going into my senior year of HS and I'm glad I did (it's falling apart now). They're definitely keepsakes. WOS got the preseason #1 in '86 and '88... Jasper got the nod in '87 in 4A.

WOS '85 (11-1-1), '86 (13-2-0), '87 (15-0-0), '88 (13-3) - 2 of the 6 losses were to state champs, 2 other were to State Quarterfinalists, and the other 2 to 5A powers

Old Green
06-13-2005, 05:07 PM
Originally posted by WOS87
I've got all the issues from the late-80's and early-90's. The first issue I bought was the 1986 issue right before going into my senior year of HS and I'm glad I did (it's falling apart now). They're definitely keepsakes. WOS got the preseason #1 in '86 and '88... Jasper got the nod in '87 in 4A.

WOS '85 (11-1-1), '86 (13-2-0), '87 (15-0-0), '88 (13-3) - 2 of the 6 losses were to state champs, 2 other were to State Quarterfinalists, and the other 2 to 5A powers Do you want to sell the 1988 issue?:D

j_dog
06-13-2005, 06:50 PM
Me either...:wave: :wave:
well if we keep thinking about it, maybe someone will remember! :D

mustang04
06-13-2005, 08:35 PM
Sweetwater gets #2 at the state track meet, should be ranked higher.

I like this guy:D

Gobbla2001
06-13-2005, 08:44 PM
Originally posted by mustang04
I like this guy:D

Though I believe Sweetwater will be tough next year, how about this?

In 1987 Cuero went 16-0 and won the state championship in football... later that SCHOOL year, Cuero won the state track meet... in football the next season, Cuero DIDN'T make the playoffs...

I hope it doesn't happen to us again, but just some info for you...

spiveyrat
06-14-2005, 07:11 AM
Wasn't that sweet...:clap:
Depends on which side of Bearkat stadium you were sitting on. :(

BHBrave08
06-14-2005, 11:57 AM

Daniels is gonna be QB. They moved Mason to reciever last time I heard.

BHBrave08
06-14-2005, 12:05 PM
Does anyone know if BH was ranked last year? If so what #?

RBARKER
06-14-2005, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by etbu

I'm Sure Daniels will QB. I wish they would let mason QB and put Daniels in as a FB to block for the Twins.

RBARKER
06-14-2005, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by BHBrave08
Does anyone know if BH was ranked last year? If so what #?

BH was not in the top 25 last year

hsfootballrules
06-14-2005, 08:50 PM
Rbarker you just showed me how smart you are

theyoefnshow
06-14-2005, 08:58 PM
for the record, when Cameron played Jasper they had about 4 INTs within the 15 yard line that caused a big turnaround. The biggest being w/ two minutes to go and an INT was thrown in the endzone. Had that been a td, Cameron would have been ahead by 1 point. Assuming the extra point was good. When Jasper got the ball back the Cameron D basically gave up and let them get a (correct me if I'm wrong) 80 yard td that made the score look much worse than what the game actually was. Jasper was sweating at the end and they held their own but to say Cameron didn't have much is giving Jasper no credit at all. Cameron did lose the QB but for the most part, nearly every other major player will be returning and the new QB is going to have a much different style.....

BHBrave08
06-14-2005, 09:15 PM
I wish they would let mason QB and put Daniels in as a FB to block for the Twins.

I disagree! Mason is not as calm and sure of himself as Chris. Plus with Mason you never know when he could decide that he didn't want to play anymore. I talked with him today and he said that if he is still playing when the season comes that he will be a reciever. His true love is basketball not football so you could lose him at anytime.

Old Green
06-15-2005, 05:44 AM
Originally posted by GUNHO
I think Jasper is about 12 spots to low and turkey season is going to come early.Sorry Cuero I just had to.:D Turkey season never closes down here.:D

RBARKER
06-15-2005, 08:10 AM
Originally posted by hsfootballrules
Rbarker you just showed me how smart you are

Would you care to elaborate?

hsfootballrules
06-15-2005, 03:14 PM
NO

RBARKER
06-16-2005, 09:35 PM
Originally posted by hsfootballrules
NO

Then Shut it :hand:

RBARKER
06-16-2005, 09:44 PM
I disagree! Mason is not as calm and sure of himself as Chris. Plus with Mason you never know when he could decide that he didn't want to play anymore. I talked with him today and he said that if he is still playing when the season comes that he will be a reciever. His true love is basketball not football so you could lose him at anytime.

Good points BHbrave. I was not intending to slam Chris in anyway he is a heck of an athlete. I just think with Chris at the helm the Coaches are going to run him too much making our offense to one-dimensional. Plus we are going to need Mason next year, so why not start him and let Chris run the ball at the FB position. Either way BH should have a good team this year.

eagle.eyes
06-17-2005, 12:36 AM
Daniels is gonna be QB. They moved Mason to reciever last time I heard

What a shame. 2 of the top 5 athletes in the school on the outside of a non throwing spread offense. Well, I guess we got another arse whoopin coming in the playoffs. Chris is gonna need knights armor for protection this year.

etbu
06-17-2005, 07:38 AM
All those kids that you guys mentioned Daniels, Pattons, and Mason are nothing but class. My son played with Daniels in the district golf match at Eagle Point and Chris could not have been nicer.

RBARKER
06-17-2005, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by eagle.eyes
Daniels is gonna be QB. They moved Mason to reciever last time I heard

What a shame. 2 of the top 5 athletes in the school on the outside of a non throwing spread offense. Well, I guess we got another arse whoopin coming in the playoffs. Chris is gonna need knights armor for protection this year.

My thoughts exactly :clap:

3afan
06-17-2005, 11:57 AM
magazine is at W-M in Mesquite ...

BHBrave08
06-17-2005, 03:25 PM
The coaches at Barbers Hill have indicated that they are adding some plays this year, so maybe some new pass plays could come about.

WOS1
06-17-2005, 03:50 PM
Running the spread with no passing is like playing the game with one hand tied behind your back. You might as well just run the wishbone and use the extra lineman.

No offense to Jasper, but that's what they do and I can't stand it, even though they did run all over us last year. When you have outstanding athletes, you can run anything and make it work. The spread is WAY under utilized even by those who are supposed to be running it, us included. Hopefully, this year that will change.

sinfan75
06-17-2005, 09:52 PM
Why they have Sinton in the top 20 I have no idea. No o-line comin back, top runnin back/receiver gone, most of the D bye-bye. They'll be lucky to get past bi-district.

chubbed_up
06-17-2005, 11:16 PM
sinton does good no matter what, we will face them again in the quarters. i usually hate teams we play but for some wierd reason i have this respect for sinton that i cant get rid of and i cheer for them any time they are not playing us

football4life
06-17-2005, 11:33 PM
Wow this is quite a bit of argument to digest here. Personally i enjoy reading all the back and forth from all of you guys down there while i enjoy being overlooked here in the panhandle as usual. well the usual "panhandle pretenders" will be out again next year, so dont be shocked when you see canyon in the top ten at the end of the year. Good luck to everyone in the offseason and preseason.

SilsbeeD
06-18-2005, 02:04 AM
good luck

Haunta Yo
06-18-2005, 10:15 AM
Running the spread with no passing is like playing the game with one hand tied behind your back....and I can't stand it.

From reading about WOS in DCTF, your coach made it sound like that's the direction you are heading in.

RBARKER
06-18-2005, 10:42 AM
The coaches at Barbers Hill have indicated that they are adding some plays this year, so maybe some new pass plays could come about.

Sweet! I hope they add some slants and other short yardage pass plays. Maybee even a couple of routes for the TE. Pass plays have killed BH in the playoffs, if it is 3rd and 3 we go for the hail mary.

Roll'em up
06-19-2005, 08:06 PM
Most of you may not realize this but Dave Campbell's information comes from the head coaches from each school in the state. From what I understand he sends out a form for them to fill out and they rank their district, region, and state. From that information he puts together the rankings. Now as one could assume, coaches don't always rank themselves as they really feel they should be. Would you rank your program dead last if you really felt they were? And likewise, do you want to rank yourself high so everyone can shoot for you? This top 25 probably should be there, but not necassarily in this order.

WOS1
06-19-2005, 11:05 PM
Originally posted by Haunta Yo
From reading about WOS in DCTF, your coach made it sound like that's the direction you are heading in.

Saying it and doing it are 2 different things. We'll see how it pans out...

Gobbla2001
06-19-2005, 11:37 PM
Originally posted by Roll'em up
Most of you may not realize this but Dave Campbell's information comes from the head coaches from each school in the state. From what I understand he sends out a form for them to fill out and they rank their district, region, and state. From that information he puts together the rankings. Now as one could assume, coaches don't always rank themselves as they really feel they should be. Would you rank your program dead last if you really felt they were? And likewise, do you want to rank yourself high so everyone can shoot for you? This top 25 probably should be there, but not necassarily in this order.

Well they always go by gut instincts as well... If not, you wouldn't have seen Perryton at #2 last year...

Gobbla2001
06-19-2005, 11:38 PM
And you also would not have seen Gainesville at #18, because they also had their coaches poll posted with their top 25, and the coaches had actually chosen Gainesville as their numbre uno!

NHSBulldog75
06-20-2005, 04:02 PM
#11 Columbia High School

Way to go Roughnecks! On the doorstep of the Top 10 and knocking hard! :cool:

Necked
06-20-2005, 07:38 PM
Meh.....It's nice to be loved :inlove: , but you don't get any extra points for being in a poll, all you really get is a big fat target on your butt.....<insert any target icon here>