PDA

View Full Version : PI’s Herrera signs with TLU

footballgal
06-10-2005, 12:44 AM
PI’s Herrera signs with TLU
Tarpon to play NCAA Division III football

By Mike Gonzalez
The Brownsville Herald

May 26, 2005 — Frankie Herrera loves to play football.

Fortunately, his playing days are going to continue at the collegiate level.

Herrera signed to play with Texas Lutheran University in Seguin this fall. The Bulldogs compete in the NCAA Division III’s American Southwest Conference.

The senior was a four-year starter at linebacker for Port Isabel and led the team in tackles in each of the last two seasons.

“I’m glad I’m going to play football,” Herrera said. “My first choice was whoever would let me play. (Texas Lutheran) stepped up first, so I took it.”

In his final year with the Tarpons, Herrera had 111 tackles, 38 solo, with five sacks. His numbers speak for themselves, but his demeanor on the field was unmatchable.

“He’s going to play with his heart,” Port Isabel head coach Monty Stumbaugh said. “He’s football smart and knows the game. The kid plays with everything he has. (Texas Lutheran) is very high on him.”

The Tarpons reached the regional quarterfinals in 2004 after claiming the District 32-3A title.

Port Isabel took advantage of Herrera’s 6-foot, 190-pound frame on offense, using him as a lead blocker and ball carrier out of the fullback spot. He was fourth on the team with 406 yards rushing and six touchdowns.

The Bulldogs plan to use him at safety to utilize his 4.6 40-yard dash speed.

It’s a position Herrera hasn’t played since he was in middle school, but the senior said the transition shouldn’t be a problem.

“The coach told me I (get to) hit a lot and that’s what I like doing,” Herrera said. “They have a real good program. I felt comfortable with the coaches.”

After coaching Herrera four seasons, Stumbaugh knows opponents should never underestimate him.

“He’s faster than people think,” Stumbaugh said. “He’s football fast.”

In 2004, Texas Lutheran went 7-2 in the American Southwest Conference, falling short of a conference title.

//////

mgonzalez@brownsvilleherald.com