PDA

View Full Version : Just arrived home from 3a Tournament--Carthage clearly the best team there!

Old Cardinal
06-09-2005, 09:31 PM
Carthage played great baseball this weekend. A team with 13 Seniors dominated the others. Bridge City clearly gave Carthage a good contest(5-2)-- except for a few errors. I stayed over and watched the Championship and Carthage beat Lubbock Cooper with real ease (6-1).
Kevin Angelle(BC) was the only Junior Pitcher in the games for any team there and he held Carthage to 5 hits while BC got 6 off their Pitcher. The difference was Carthage grouped their hits while BC scattered them out over the seven innings.
I was real impressed with the Yoakum Pitcher-Riley Boening--who has signed with the U. of Texas. Yoakum in a little school with a 490 HS enrollment. They had trouble with people stealing bases on them-five to be exact-- which led to their demise(1-0). Boening will make a great college Pitcher.
Carthage was a very strong team and deserved their #1 rating for the whole year. They like Cooper will have to start over with new personnel next year.
In the case of Yoakum they have a good core coming back and have two Juniors Cory Baros(5-0) and Jeff Natho(4-0) to carry the mound duties.
Likewise, BC will be loaded with Pitching with Seniors Broc Haymon and Kevin Angelle as their aces for the 2006 season. Haymon returns this week from his surgery recovery to begin again pitching with the last years select team SunDevils National Championship team. After a lot of good quality exposure he should be more than ready to pitch for the HS season to begin next season.
Congrats again to the Carthage Bulldogs you are truly the Champs.

Gobbla2001
06-09-2005, 09:40 PM
Not the only good pitchers out of Yoakum...

Ryan Wagner, my age, pitches for the Reds and another one, I believe it's Boone, pitchers for UT...

Old Cardinal
06-09-2005, 09:45 PM
Yes, I happened to be sitting by the ex-School Superintendent and he reminded me of that fact--he mentioned another one too.
The Yoakum people were a class act at the game. They were so friendly they told us all about the Leather Factories, the thriving Insurance Company that makes it's headquarters in the town. They have a lot of community pride!

Gobbla2001
06-09-2005, 09:48 PM
Originally posted by Old Cardinal
Yes, I happened to be sitting by the ex-School Superintendent and he reminded me of that fact--he mentioned another one too.
The Yoakum people were a class act at the game. They were so friendly they told us all about the Leather Factories, the thriving Insurance Company that makes it's headquarters in the town. They have a lot of community pride!

My mother worked with the leather stuff after her and my father divorced when I was really little...

Nice people in Yoakum... but we love to hate each other during atleast one week of the year ;)

44INAROW
06-09-2005, 10:21 PM
Originally posted by Old Cardinal
, the thriving Insurance Company that makes it's headquarters in the town.

That would be Hochheim Prairie Farm Mutual Insurance - fine company indeed.. I was an agent for them for years.. now I am an agent for one of their "leading competitors"; Germania Farm Mutual who's home office is in Brenham. Seems Insurance Companies and good baseball and softball go hand and hand (Brenham won the 4A girls Softball Championship this year - their HC is a Cuero boy)

My husband was at the Yoakum/Cooper game and stayed for 5 innings of the BC/Carthage game. He said he saw some really fine baseball players on all 4 teams. Congrats to all teams and especially Carthage for being the 3A State Champs :clap:

EastTeXBulldog
06-09-2005, 10:49 PM
:clap:

pirate4state
06-14-2005, 09:51 AM
Congrats to all the finalist this year and Congrats to Carthage on winning State! :clap:

gobbler84
06-14-2005, 02:51 PM
Any body know where Travis Starling of Yoakum is going?