PDA

View Full Version : Four Aggies selected on first day

AggieJohn
06-08-2005, 08:28 AM
Cliff Pennington says he knew he was getting closer to realizing his dream of playing Major League Baseball. And with the experts projecting the Texas A&M shortstop as a first-round draft pick, Pennington sat with his family in their Corpus Christi home on Tuesday waiting — almost expecting — to be taken in the first 30 picks, a position that would virtually guarantee Pennington every opportunity of making the big leagues.

Despite all of the preparation, however, reality still stunned Pennington, who was picked 21st overall by Oakland in the first round of the Major League Baseball draft.

“ It still was nerve-racking all morning kind of waiting for it,” Pennington said. “When it happened, the whole family went nuts and started screaming and jumping. It was awesome.”

Pennington is the first Aggie taken in the first round since St. Louis drafted right-handed pitcher Chance Caple in 1999. Last year, Toronto drafted left-hander Zach Jackson in the compensatory round between the first and second rounds.

Pennington was one of four Aggies drafted Tuesday in the first 18 rounds.

Right-handed pitchers Kevin Whelan, Robert Ray and Kyle Marlatt were also drafted. Detroit took Whelan in the fourth round while Toronto took Ray in the seventh and Florida selected Marlatt in the 12th.

The 30 major league teams will continue drafting Wednesday with 32 more rounds.

One Texas A&M signee, left-hander Aaron Thompson of Second Baptist High School in Houston, also went in the first round. Florida took Thompson with the 22nd pick, and Thompson will now chose between turning professional or passing on the pro contract to attend A&M.

“ I just want to play baseball,” Thompson said. “I can do that at A&M or with the Marlins. But, sadly, I think it does come down to money.”

Thompson shot down the theory that the firing of former A&M baseball coach Mark Johnson suddenly made him more “signable.” Thompson says he had told Johnson all along that he was coming to A&M unless “something unexpected” happened in this year’s draft.

And while Thompson may eventually accept a contract from the Marlins, he says he will not do so simply because of Johnson’s firing.

“ That’s not the case at all,” Thompson said. “I haven’t changed my stance since last summer.”