PDA

View Full Version : T-murph getting accolades

AggieJohn
06-07-2005, 05:04 PM
Terrence Murphy has two intriguing qualities that set him apart.

He catches the football, and he catches your eye.

The Green Bay Packers’ rookie receiver made several plays during Monday’s minicamp workout that ranged between solid and spectacular. He used his 6-foot-1, 196-pound frame to wrestle the football away from safety Todd Franz for a touchdown. He relied on his strength to outmuscle cornerback Joey Thomas for a leaping grab on the sideline.

Perhaps Murphy’s most impressive catch was a bullet from Aaron Rodgers on a slant pass that he snatched without losing stride.

Like Ferguson

Thomas, a second-year cornerback, was impressed enough to favorably compare Murphy to another former Texas A&M receiver, the Packers’ Robert Ferguson.

“He reminds me a lot of Fergy,” Thomas said. “Those A&M boys are real strong, and (Murphy) plays a strong man’s game. He’s learning right now, but you can see the great strides that he’s making. He’s going to be a good one.”

It is too early to anoint Murphy the second coming of Ferguson, or anybody else for that matter, but he has been a pleasant surprise. The second-round pick has soft hands, a strong upper body and a healthy desire to excel.

He isn’t a body catcher like Antonio Freeman, but the Packers’ newest receiver to wear No. 86 is similar to Freeman in stature and strength. Freeman wasn’t a speed burner, but he maintained his speed when the pads came on. It will be interesting to see if it’s the same with Murphy come training camp.

“That’s what we have to find out,” Packers offensive coordinator Tom Rossley said. “Javon (Walker) and Donald (Driver) run fast with pads on. We hope (Murphy) can do that.”

Murphy, who comes across as a mature 22, isn’t worried. He figures he’ll be plenty fast when the pads come on.

“Football is football,” he said. “I’ve been doing it since I was little. It matters how I play, and I come to play hard. That’s how the receivers from A&M play. We take the weight room and the physical part of the game seriously.”

It seems Murphy takes everything seriously.

Great attitude

“The biggest thing right now that I can say is his attitude,” Rossley said. “He has great focus on the game. He wants to be good. He practices hard. He’s got ability. How that transfers when we put pads on, I don’t get too excited right now, other than when I see him in the classroom and his work habits and his intelligence.

“A lot of times we’re waiting for guys. It’s like, if not this year, next year. I think he’s a quick learner, and from that standpoint, I think he’ll be able to contribute.”

Murphy’s self-awareness is an asset.

“I’ve got a long way to go. I’ve got a lot of stuff to learn,” he said. “Driver’s been helping me out, and he’s a Pro Bowl receiver, and he’s helping me get better every day.”

Come July, we’ll find out how much better. The possibilities look promising.