PDA

View Full Version : Aggies dismiss 2 from football team

HighSchool Fan
06-06-2005, 05:37 PM
From Staff Reports

Texas A&M dismissed Jorrie Adams and Erik Mayes from the football team Monday for violating team rules, the school announced.

"It is unfortunate, and I am disappointed that it has to reach this point," A&M coach Dennis Franchione said.

Adams, a 6-7, 282-pound defensive lineman from Jasper, Texas, earned a letter last season as a redshirt freshman. He had 22 tackles.

Mayes, a 5-9, 177-pound defensive back from Humble, Texas, played in all 12 games, starting one. He had 69 tackles and one interception.

j_dog
06-06-2005, 05:45 PM
Maybe Jorrie will follow Dustin Long over to Sam! :)

AggieJohn
06-06-2005, 05:49 PM
Originally posted by HighSchool Fan
From Staff Reports

Texas A&M dismissed Jorrie Adams and Erik Mayes from the football team Monday for violating team rules, the school announced.

"It is unfortunate, and I am disappointed that it has to reach this point," A&M coach Dennis Franchione said.

Adams, a 6-7, 282-pound defensive lineman from Jasper, Texas, earned a letter last season as a redshirt freshman. He had 22 tackles.

Mayes, a 5-9, 177-pound defensive back from Humble, Texas, played in all 12 games, starting one. He had 69 tackles and one interception.
sad day for jorrie and ...and mayes was up and coming, and Scott if your doing this too rub this in A&M players face, then this is a low, even for you

hitman
06-06-2005, 05:51 PM
Thats too bad.I saw J.Adams play against Burnet.He was a big dude and had potential.I wonder what he did?It must have been pretty bad to be suspended:thinking:

j_dog
06-06-2005, 06:01 PM
Originally posted by AggieJohn
sad day for jorrie and ....
Yes, it is a sad day. I had the opportunity to meet Jorrie once. He seemed to be a very nice young man. I feel confident that he will get back up, and brush the dust off, and still somehow do something very good for himself.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
06-06-2005, 08:07 PM
I wonder what they did. I've seen Jorrie Adams play, and that guy is huge...

JHS_c/o_06'
06-06-2005, 08:40 PM
Originally posted by BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
I wonder what they did. I've seen Jorrie Adams play, and that guy is huge...

Yeah....jorrie is huge......im one of the tallest guys in the school...and he came back to visit...and he made me look like a dwarf.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
06-06-2005, 08:41 PM
You do a good job of that on your own...you don't need Jorrie's help. :D

sicem74
06-06-2005, 08:45 PM
man that suck he was good in the shot

Old Dog
06-06-2005, 09:07 PM
What is it with all the youngsters not following the rules? That kid (Jorrie) could have been an all-american and played at the next level.

Maybe he can get his head on straight and play somewhere!

sicem74
06-06-2005, 09:13 PM
heck go to baylor!

LH Panther Mom
06-06-2005, 09:16 PM
Originally posted by Old Dog
What is it with all the youngsters not following the rules? That kid (Jorrie) could have been an all-american and played at the next level.

Maybe he can get his head on straight and play somewhere!

I completely agree with you on all!

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
06-06-2005, 09:19 PM
Originally posted by sicem74
heck go to baylor!

I still don't know why you're celebrating one of Baylor's few wins that season. That win didn't give you the Big XII Championship, or win the National Title....

sicem74
06-06-2005, 09:39 PM
haha 35-34

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
06-06-2005, 09:40 PM
I'm not an Aggie fan, either....Hook 'Em

sicem74
06-06-2005, 09:44 PM
ha ha june 11th beware

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
06-06-2005, 09:49 PM
Of what? You don't play for Baylor anyways, so why are you talking mess?

AggieJohn
06-06-2005, 09:49 PM
heck go to baylor!

i don't think that's what old dog meant by playing at the same level

Astrosdawg07
06-06-2005, 11:04 PM
Originally posted by JHS_c/o_06'
Yeah....jorrie is huge......im one of the tallest guys in the school...and he came back to visit...and he made me look like a dwarf.

Shut up...

JHS_c/o_06'
06-06-2005, 11:58 PM
Originally posted by Astrosdawg07
Shut up...

what?

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
06-07-2005, 01:01 PM
I think he said to "shut up."

JHS_c/o_06'
06-07-2005, 01:58 PM
I think he said to "shut up."

Im glad at least one of us can read......i got scared for a min. there...lol.:D

Bandera YaYa
06-07-2005, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by JHS_c/o_06'
Im glad at least one of us can read......i got scared for a min. there...lol.:D :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :p

raider red 2000
06-07-2005, 03:15 PM
i have no idea what the kids did, but after teh run-ins that the aggies had with the law on multiple occassions, i think that Fran probably did the right thing. i am not an aggie fan, but i hope that it helps the rest of his boys realize that the rules must be followed.

sucks for those two, but hopefully they can go to another school and get some PT eventually.

BTW- it is better to play for Baylor than to have to go home and do squat. I wish i could have played at Baylor. I was never that good.

We're Back
06-07-2005, 03:17 PM
What is wrong with these guys? More and more you see kids getting dismissed from teams because they violated team rules. I just don't get it. 90% of athletes don't even get a chance to play at the next level after high school and would die for the chance these guys get, and then these guys turn around and blow it like this. The problem is they think they can do whatever they want and get away with it because in high school they can get away with it. Things like that really just tick me off.

raider red 2000
06-07-2005, 03:38 PM
you are so right.

i am sure that reeves does a great job keeping yall in line. more coaches an parents need to do a better job of keeping their kids doing right.

coaches can preach until their faces turn blue, but making an example of a kid works much better in my opinion.

more kids need to do a better job of policing themselves, their friends, and their teammates.

AggieJohn
06-07-2005, 04:56 PM
my only thing with this is that fran always publicizes the let-go's......i don't mind the fact that he dismisses them, they do a lot to make sure the players are on a good track in their studies, however if they can't abide they need to go, maybe this puts a spark in the team to realize that no one is above the ten coach Frandments

Goldenstick
06-07-2005, 05:15 PM
Originally posted by hitman
Thats too bad.I saw J.Adams play against Burnet.He was a big dude and had potential.I wonder what he did?It must have been pretty bad to be suspended:thinking:

I think we know what was Jorrie's problem. It's too bad he couldn't stay away from it

AggieJohn
06-07-2005, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by Goldenstick
I think we know what was Jorrie's problem. It's too bad he couldn't stay away from it

i know, stupid texags.com, it can mess with your mind

c-town_balla
06-07-2005, 05:39 PM
Don't go crazy one me here ,but I think Jorie was kicked off because of grade trouble. He failed the Fall Semester and I guess he failed the Spring too. I think thats what they do it you fail twice.

JHS_c/o_06'
06-07-2005, 06:52 PM
the ten coach Frandments

Dear God....the aggies now have an organized religion.....it's only a matter of time before they are recognized by the government to gain tax exempt status.

lepfan
06-07-2005, 06:59 PM
my only thing with this is that fran always publicizes the let-go's......i don't mind the fact that he dismisses them, they do a lot to make sure the players are on a good track in their studies, however if they can't abide they need to go, maybe this puts a spark in the team to realize that no one is above the ten coach Frandments

MOST coaches do this...not just Fran

sicem74
06-07-2005, 08:10 PM
Of what? You don't play for Baylor anyways, so why are you talking mess?

shetup big blue just wait till june 11th

raider red 2000
06-07-2005, 08:12 PM
i think that it is good to pubilcize it. shows the rest of the team....act stupid and you are gone.

lets high school kids that they will be held accountable for their actions.

colleges can probably influence the kids just as much if not more than high schools can.

i think that if a person is using tax payer money and not holding up their end of the bargain then they should be held accountable and it should be prublic knowledge.

these kids were probably on scholarship at a public school. they need to follow the rules or get the boot.

AggieJohn
06-07-2005, 11:12 PM
i found out why they got kicked off for sure....sad indeed

duckbutter
06-08-2005, 11:50 AM
Very sad.....Looks like Mr. Adams will be back in Jasper visiting with his probation officer while the Aggies are playing next yr. I just don't understand it...........what a waste!

Reveille
06-08-2005, 03:25 PM
http://www.aggiesports.com/football/news/060805playersdismissedfolo.htm

AggieJohn
06-08-2005, 04:52 PM
yep sad indeed

j_dog
06-08-2005, 09:39 PM
not the smartest thing he could have done. :(

I hope they both have the sense to stop the nonsense and turn their lives around. They will quickly learn there is nothing as low as being yesterday's star.

superslyguy06
06-09-2005, 01:27 AM
Returning to what we're back said, yeah, he's right. Our old coaching staff here in Graham let the players get away with everything it seemed. I'm not even in athletics and I feel the effects now since McCoy moved in. None of my friends wanna go out and you know, do what most high school kids do on the weekends, thanks to McCoy. But now, I think about it, and it's a damn good thing he came here and got them straighted out. Heck, he even had somewhat of an effect on me. We're lucky, and I hope that more schools here in TX are as fortunate cuz whether or not administration acknowledges it, it's a problem throughout our state.

Astrosdawg07
06-09-2005, 01:45 AM
Originally posted by Goldenstick

By BRETT NAUMAN and ROBERT CESSNA
Eagle Staff Writers

College Station police said Tuesday that an undercover officer bought marijuana from a Texas A&M football player at a teammate’s apartment several days before the two were arrested on misdemeanor drug possession charges.

Defensive lineman Jorrie Adams and defensive back Erik Mayes were dismissed from the team Monday, but A&M officials have declined this week to comment on whether their departures and the arrests were related.

Neither Adams nor Mayes could be reached for comment.

Adams, 20, was charged with possession of marijuana May 27 during a traffic stop near an apartment where Mayes lives in Bryan, according to authorities.

College Station Police Lt. Dan Jones said officers were executing a search warrant when they pulled over Adams in his 1995 Lincoln Town Car and found 9 grams of the drug. Mayes, 20, was charged with the same crime as his teammate after police found a gram of marijuana while searching his home shortly after Adams was arrested.

Several days before their arrests, the men were subjects of a drug investigation centered on marijuana dealing, Jones said, adding that the search warrants stemmed from that inquiry.

College Station Police Investigator Billy Couch said an undercover officer bought marijuana from Adams at Mayes’ apartment, where Adams recently had been staying.

Neither Adams nor Mayes has been charged with dealing drugs, but Jones said officers continued Tuesday to investigate the case and will discuss possible additional charges with the Brazos County District Attorney’s Office.

“ If it looks like we’ve accomplished the goal of stopping the drug activity at [Mayes’ home], we may not file charges,” Jones said. “But the investigation is continuing.”

Adams and Mayes both were taken to the Brazos County Jail and released the same day on $2,000 bond for the Class B misdemeanor charge, which is punishable by up to 180 days in jail and a $2,000 fine.

After the players were taken to the jail, officers found two marijuana cigars in the back of the patrol car where the two had been sitting, court records state.

Coach Dennis Franchione released both players Monday for violating unspecified team rules, A&M officials said.

Franchione declined to elaborate Tuesday on the departures.

Mayes took part in spring drills and played in the Maroon and White Game, but Adams was suspended in mid-March and missed spring practice. At the time, Franchione said Adams was “dealing with issues.” The coach said then that the matter would be handled internally, which has been his policy.

Alan Cannon, A&M’s associate athletic director for media relations, said the pair are not enrolled in summer school.

“ It is unfortunate and I am disappointed that it has to reach this point,” Franchione said.

Adams and Mayes were part of A&M’s redshirt freshmen last year who helped turn a 4-8 team into a 7-5 Cotton Bowl squad. Both were expected to challenge for starting positions in the fall.

Mayes, who played in 12 games, was the top tackler among the reserves with 69. He broke up a team-best eight passes. He also led the team in punt returns with 20 for 122 yards.

The 6-foot-7, 282-pound Adams had 22 tackles in 12 games, including four behind the line of scrimmage. He had seven solo tackles against Texas.

Adams was a Parade and USA Today All-American at Class 3A Jasper High School. Mayes was the 22-5A Most Valuable Player at Humble High School.

Astrosdawg07
06-09-2005, 01:48 AM
JHS 06, If I'm not wrong many of our former football players loved the "killer", does the Lauve not talk about this?

spiveyrat
06-09-2005, 07:18 AM
The killer??? :confused:

AggieJohn
06-09-2005, 09:14 AM
high school nickname

Panther Ross
06-09-2005, 11:17 AM
haha 35-34

It is a very scary thought to thank if they had a winning season.

sicem74
06-09-2005, 12:06 PM
ok