PDA

View Full Version : West Texas Football Classic

Ranger Mom
06-06-2005, 09:01 AM
By Garrett Luft

MRT Correspondent

LUBBOCK -- The South defeated the North 2-2 Saturday night at Lowrey Field, but maybe more importantly, a number of local football players got to extend their careers one game for a good cause in the inaugural West Texas Football Classic.

Two 40-player rosters put together by area coaches completed their high school careers in the event, while also raising funds for former Odessa Permian Panther Joe Beene and former Levelland Lobo Jeremy Green, both of whom endured paralyzing injuries while playing football. Both players were honored at halftime and presented with a $5,000 check.

"I hope this thing gets bigger and bigger every year," said Blaine Springston of Andrews, coach of the victorious South squad. "I've never been in a situation like this before (coaching an all-star game). It was new to all of us, but the kids had a lot of fun and everyone got to play quite a bit. I feel like I made about 50 new friends."

Five turnovers doomed the North, which fumbled the ball away four times and was intercepted once. Lubbock Coronado's Seth Schulz scored a 2-yard touchdown in the second quarter and Permian's Shea Smith added a 7-yard scoring play in the third to account for all of the offensive scoring. The North's lone points came when Odessa High's Trint Golden returned a blocked extra point for a safety following the Schulz touchdown.

Andrews running back Isaac McQueen took advantage of his opportunity to play one more time for Springston, carrying 10 times for 45 yards and catching a 33-yard pass.

"This was the greatest," McQueen said. "I got to be with my coaches and give them a hard time, and it was unbelievable to get to play again."

Two other Mustangs also played Saturday, including linebacker Chris Stephens and wide receiver Jessie Ortiz, who caught four passes for 27 yards.

"It was awesome having those guys with us all week," Springston said. "They knew our system and really assisted in teaching the other kids what we were trying to do in such a short period of time."

Greenwood's Jarrel Brooks sealed the South victory with an interception late in the fourth quarter.

"Anytime you play, it is going to be competitive and you might as well win," said Brooks, who will attend Midland College in the fall and hopes to then attend firefighter school. "This is something I will always remember. It was a great way to go out."

Midland High quarterback Jordan Melugin had a strong night, going 5-of-9 for 58 yards and rushing 10 times for 48 yards, although it was former his former teammate Ignacio Valles who took home the victory and a few bragging rights in the process. Valles sacked Melugin in the first half and then forced a Melugin fumble in the second half.

"I had been telling him all week I was going to get him, and in the end I made him fumble and had another sack," said Valles, who took home a victory along with fellow Bulldog Steven Miles.

"We'll always have these bragging rights to hang over Jordan," Miles said, "but we'll probably always talk a little more about the memories we put together at Midland High."

"This was just a great experience," Melugin said. "We're all competitive and want to win, but this was a great experience. I had a blast."

South 12, North 2

South 0 6 6 0 --12

North 0 2 0 0 --2

Second Quarter

South -- Seth Schulz 2 run (kick blocked), 3:34

North -- Trint Golden return blocked kick for safety

Third Quarter

South -- Shea Smith 7 run (pass f