PDA

View Full Version : My weekend... (please read)

WOS1
06-05-2005, 10:23 AM
This weekend, I coached at the first annual Tremaine Lewis Footbal Camp and I'll never be the same... Man, I just can't put into words how successful and rewarding this camp was. We had 51 kids show up from ages 7-17 and had around 20 coaches and I know that every single participant from this 70 odd people learned a great deal from this experience, very little of it was about football. I think that this was really something the community needed, I know, I watched it blossom before my eyes. I learned soooo much. These kids in our community want our help, all you need to do is just extend your hand. I've spoke to so many Mustang faithful about how we lose so much talent to the street and for so long have set back and acted like this was something that I had no control over. This weekend, I came to the revelation that WE ALL have control over that situation. We talk about how the erosion of the family is behind most of this, I now realize that we ARE the family. The children are raised by the village, every man reading these words is a father, every woman a mother, everyone can make a difference. These kids want to be led, there just isn't enough people willing to lead them. I encourage everyone to get involved in some kind of community event, it doesn't necessarily have to be a football camp, although those are the funnest. Be a village father or mother and I guarantee we will quit losing these kids, it will be a rewarding experience.

LH Panther Mom
06-05-2005, 10:28 AM
That's so true, WOS1. It sounds like it was well worth your time. :)

bullfrog_alumni_02
06-05-2005, 10:34 AM
that's awesome man. i know how rewarding it can be to see the fruits of your labor be harvested before your eyes. there is not one single greater experience better than knowing you are doing something for other people. those people who in turn will go and do for others what you have done for them and what has been done for you by those before you. i hope you get the chance to have another football camp very soon, and that you see the same results if not more.

WOS1
06-05-2005, 10:37 AM
No doubt, any camp I can help at, I will. It's really beyond words...

bullfrog_alumni_02
06-05-2005, 10:46 AM
i know about camps beyond words...

Bandera YaYa
06-05-2005, 11:27 AM
I applaud you for your experience and your commitment to these kids......when working with kids, you always reap the benefits.....sounds like they were very lucky to have you there.......way to go!!! :)

AggieJohn
06-05-2005, 10:57 PM
it's great to see leadership

j_dog
06-05-2005, 11:13 PM
WOS1, I applaud your initiative! Yes, if everyone in our communities would just step forward to work to make our communities better places in which to live, it would make an enormous difference. :clap: :clap: :clap:

CheerMom
06-06-2005, 12:09 PM
:clap: :clap: :clap: