PDA

View Full Version : AAA State Tournament Lubbock Cooper/Carthage/Bridge City/Yoakum

GWOOD
06-04-2005, 09:33 PM
Who's the favorite?

Lubbock Cooper's scores over Iowa Park were impressive. 11-0, 11-1 (5)

RdaleBoi08
06-04-2005, 09:35 PM
I Think Carthage Will Take It Cuz I've Been Hearin They Have a Real Good Pitcher

44INAROW
06-04-2005, 09:37 PM
I am going to be a "homer" and say Yoakum, since I have not seen any of the other teams and really don't know much about them. Yoakum has a rich tradition and good pitching. They are all obviously good at this level of play

CRHSeagle
06-04-2005, 09:51 PM
Lubbock Cooper seems to have the pitchin to do it.

Old Cardinal
06-04-2005, 09:58 PM
I of course will go with BC. They come from a long tradition of Region III State Championship wins and they and Lufkin Hudson have played some awesome teams to get to the top of Region III. Coming from a 4-0 behind status to a win of 10-5 against Hudson in the last game today convinced me. There were 3 HRs in the last game by-- Johnny Dishon, Cody Sparks and Darryl Stevens-- to seal the trip to the Tournament. Everyone on the team has proven they can hit HRs. Even the 9th batter, Sophomore Johnny Dishon, had 3 HRs in this series and the back 5-- hit better than the top of the lineup in the playoffs.
Many people respect Kevin Angelle and Darryl Stevens on the mound; however, the real hero in the last game today was a big burly Designated Hitter, Kirk Vincent, who came into the game in the third inning to relieve pitch (behind 4-0) facing a bases loaded no-out situation. He pulled a Houdini act and got them out of a jam. From that point on he held the Hornets to one run while BC slammed them for 10 big runs and a Regional title!

Congrats to the Lady Leps from Region III for the big SB win -- I hope BC can keep the same tradition going also.

GWOOD
06-04-2005, 10:08 PM
Another plug for this poll:

Final THSB Magazine Poll (April 30)

#1 Carthage
#2 Yoakum
#4 Bridge City
#8 Lubbock Cooper

Each team was the highest ranked team in its region. Basically, THSB Magazine picked the final four correctly.

EastTeXBulldog
06-04-2005, 11:45 PM
Carthage is going to take it with the two ace pitchers that no one can hit.

AggieJohn
06-04-2005, 11:47 PM
lubbock cooper

44INAROW
06-05-2005, 12:20 AM
Originally posted by EastTeXBulldog
Carthage is going to take it with the two ace pitchers that no one can hit.

now that is confidence lol

what are the records of Bridge City, Carthage and Lubbock Cooper? I am pretty sure Yoakum is 31-3 with losses to West Columbia, Liberty Hill and Falfurrias

GWOOD
06-05-2005, 08:36 AM
Lubbock Cooper is 35-5

From Lubbock Avalanche-Journal:

Iowa Park coach David Fuhrman, who took the Hawks to the state tournament in 1993, 1998 and 2001, was impressed with Cooper.

"They're good," he said. "They're the best hitting 3A team I've seen in 13 years. One through five in their lineup are super scary, and six through nine are good contact hitters. We put a strikeout pitcher (Derrick Bowers) out there today, and we couldn't strike them out."

Old Cardinal
06-05-2005, 11:21 AM
BC has played mostly ranked 4As in preseason and scrimmages. A lot counts as to WHO you play not your win-loss record. They have beat some great premium type higher classification teams and traded out some wins with them along the way. Lufkin Hudson was the first team in a long time to beat them from a 3A classification-- in the early game yesterday.
We might say Brandon Belt on the mound at that game and at the plate was the LH catalyst. Remember Hudson had not lost to a 3A team either.
I just hope that BC can give a good account of themselves like LaGrange did last year in a big win over Forney, or Lorena before that, etc:
The last time that I can remember a Region III team not winning it was when Sinton had Adrian A. on the mound some time back. He was exceptional and that team was exceptional!

bccards
06-05-2005, 11:31 AM
Reg. I - Lubbock Cooper 35-5
Reg. II - Carthage 35-4
Reg. III - Bridge City 35-6
Reg. IV - Yoakum 31-3

LH Panther Mom
06-05-2005, 11:38 AM
I'll have to defer my thoughts until after I see the schedule for first round.

dogs15
06-05-2005, 11:46 AM
Yoakum vs. Lubbock Cooper at 12:00
Carthage vs. Bridge City at 3:00

VWG
06-05-2005, 11:47 AM
My prediction is Carthage. Dropped down from 4A, and have been impressive this season. Lubbock Cooper killed their competition in the Region I playoffs, but I have to admit that some of their competition wasn't that good. Canyon and Iowa Park had two pretty solid teams and Cooper destroyed them. Cooper can hit very well up and down the order, but we all know that good pitching can beat good hitting any day. Carthage has the arms to contend and I'm going with Carthage from Region II to take home the state championship.

bccards
06-05-2005, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by dogs15
Yoakum vs. Lubbock Cooper at 12:00
Carthage vs. Bridge City at 3:00

Where did you get this info? it's not on the UIL Website yet?

Old Cardinal
06-05-2005, 12:16 PM
If this uncomfirmed schedule is true then BC gets to take on the #1 3A ranked team in-- 4A dropdown Carthage. I envision quite a pitching battle with Kevin Angelle(BC) up against Luke Burnett(Cart.)
I think BCs Junior All-Stater is the best Pitcher. He struck out 16 in the first game against Lufkin Hudson.

gobbler grad
06-05-2005, 12:20 PM
GOTTA GO WITH THE DAWG POUND...GO DAWGS... :cheerl: :cheerl:

44INAROW
06-05-2005, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by Old Cardinal
BC has played mostly ranked 4As in preseason and scrimmages. A lot counts as to WHO you play not your win-loss record. They have beat some great premium type higher classification teams and traded out some wins with them along the way.

JEEZ, lighten up for heaven's sake.. I was asking a legitimate question on the records. I am sure Bridge City is tough, just as the other 3 teams.

LH Panther Mom
06-05-2005, 01:02 PM
I won't go so far as to even think about who wins it all.

I think Yoakum will have their hands full with Lubbock Cooper. Yoakum's schedule, from what I know about the two, seems to have been a little tougher, so I think they'll be able to pull out the win. It would be awesome to have a play by play like Bevo did the other day. Does anyone know if it might be webcast?

Right now, I see BC having the edge over the Carthage. I was very impressed how they never gave up the last 3 games, even when several points behind.

Good luck to all. And congrats! :clap: :clap:

RBARKER
06-06-2005, 08:01 AM
Congrats to Bridge City on making the state tour. I don't know who will win it all but I'm backing Reg III. BC beat a very good Lufkin Hudson team this past week.

GWOOD
06-06-2005, 08:16 AM
From Lubbock Avalanche Journal:

The eighth-ranked Pirates are making their first appearance at the state tourney, but they breezed through Region I competition, going 8-0 while outscoring their opponents 90-13.

Average win during the playoffs-- 11 to 1, some of those games ended in 5 innings. It's true that Lubbock Cooper has not faced any top 10 teams throughout the playoffs. They come in with impressive stats but they are the team among this group who definitely belong but no one knows for sure how good they are against the best.

Old Cardinal
06-06-2005, 11:29 AM
That is a good point that you are making. I don't think anyone really knows how strong Cooper is until they face some real stiff teams. They might have it all and will surprise all! Or, they might not know how to pull together to overcome a big lead by a very stiff opponent because they have never been in that position before. It should be interesting.
If BC can somehow upset #1 Carthage; I would venture a guess that they will be facing that high-scoring Lubbock Cooper team.

Ranger05
06-06-2005, 11:36 AM
Lubbock cooper will take it, they have pitching and they can flat out hit.

Old Cardinal
06-06-2005, 11:49 AM
I am just wondering, how many HRs does Cooper have in the playoff bracket play. That is one good indicator just as the number of errors committed is another indicator.

Cat22
06-06-2005, 01:37 PM
Gotta pull for my neighbors. Good Luck Bridge City. Bring back the title.

GWOOD
06-06-2005, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by Old Cardinal
I am just wondering, how many HRs does Cooper have in the playoff bracket play. That is one good indicator just as the number of errors committed is another indicator.

Can't find anything that lists HR's for Lubbock Cooper during playoffs. But as to their power potential, here are HR #'s for the regular season according to THSB Magazine with a comparison to Bridge City. (Carthage and Yoakum did not turn in stats)

Home Runs
7 Bradley Madison (Lubbock Cooper)
5 Josh Barnett (Lubbock Cooper)
5 Jakob Cunningham (Lubbock Cooper)

8 B.J. Myers (Bridge City)
5 Hunter Hays (Bridge City)
5 Cody Sparks (Bridge City)

44INAROW
06-06-2005, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by GWOOD

Home Runs
7 Bradley Madison (Lubbock Cooper)
5 Josh Barnett (Lubbock Cooper)
5 Jakob Cunningham (Lubbock Cooper)

8 B.J. Myers (Bridge City)
5 Hunter Hays (Bridge City)
5 Cody Sparks (Bridge City)

That's about even as you can get on HR's :D

dogs15
06-06-2005, 01:58 PM
Yoakum HR's

Riley Boening 8
Jace Braden 8
Travis Starling 7

29 Team HR's

44INAROW
06-06-2005, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by dogs15
Yoakum HR's

Riley Boening 8
Jace Braden 8
Travis Starling 7

29 Team HR's

and that's even better :clap:

ej2525
06-06-2005, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by RBARKER
BC beat a very good Lufkin Hudson team this past week.

Get ready next year... Lufkin Hudson will be tough!!! They were stacked with Juniors!!

Old Cardinal
06-06-2005, 03:17 PM
Boy, Do I agree Lufkin Hudson will again be strong next year with two Senior Pitchers of quality--just like BC will be super strong in Pitching with Broc Haymon back.

That HR list must have been the top three hitters only- per team. BCs strength is that a whole bunch of them have hit a few all down the order. I think that it took the playoffs to get the good hard pitches that allows the Pitcher to help you get it over the fence. They knocked their share in the three games against Hudson, in fact that was the deciding factor.

Phantom Stang
06-06-2005, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
Does anyone know if it might be webcast? :
www.kjak.com streamed Lubbock Cooper's regular season games.
Don't know about the playoffs though.:thinking:You'll need Win Amp to get it if they do.
;)

3ASPORTSTALK
06-06-2005, 03:49 PM
BC has 40 team HR's. 7 were off of Lufkin Hudson.

Cat22
06-06-2005, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by Phantom Stang
www.kjak.com streamed Lubbock Cooper's regular season games.
Don't know about the playoffs though.:thinking:You'll need Win Amp to get it if they do.
;)

Here is a link to the web broadcast of the Bridge City/Carthage game.

http://www.kogt.com/kogtlive.asx

ej2525
06-06-2005, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by Cat22

No... don't give that out!!!! Extra folks may drop in to listen to it and suck up all of the bandwidth and interupt my game!! :eek: :eek: :doh: :D

GWOOD
06-06-2005, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by Cat22

Thanks Cat22. I am planning to "suck up" some of that bandwidth. lol

gobbler84
06-06-2005, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by RdaleBoi08
I Think Carthage Will Take It Cuz I've Been Hearin They Have a Real Good Pitcher

What's up world, I been away for a while but im back now. First of all yes we know carthage has a good pitcher, but in a tournament you can't just ride one pitcher. I'm looking for my boys from YT to take it. They have not one but two great pitcher and they have worked very hard this season representing District 26-AAA. GO DAWGS!

GWOOD
06-06-2005, 08:19 PM
Originally posted by 3ASPORTSTALK
BC has 40 team HR's. 7 were off of Lufkin Hudson.

I am amazed at the HR totals. For Greenwood, we had one player with 4, one with 2, and two players with 1 HR. Eight HR's all year long and yet we scored a lot of runs this year.

Old Cardinal
06-06-2005, 10:42 PM
Mr. Greenwood that is about right for a good 3A team...These stats on BC homeruns are phenomenal--at 40 HRs for nine players equates to almost 4 1/2 per player this season. It would be interesting as to the other teams going in: someone from Yoakum said the had a total of 29. I don't know it that included the postseason games.

One mistake that the Coach from Lufkin made in my opinion was to walk Hunter Homerun Hays and B.J. Myers (the 3rd and 4th batters) that just gave the ones behind some runners on base when the back-five hitters plastered the ball over into the parking lot behind the field.