PDA

View Full Version : Marlin......No Character!!

TakeMeHigher
12-21-2003, 06:44 PM
As a coach, I was very disappointed with the character of the Marlin players late in the game sat. night. After they realized they were not coming back, they layed down. On one occasion, Atlanta ran back a punt for a touchdown, and the Marlin players were not even try to tackle the ball carrier. In fact, the Atlanta player jog the last nine yards. After the play, I looked back and about 4 or 5 Marlin players were laying on the field not getting up. And this was with about 8 minutes left in the game. Have some PRIDE. Quit walking on and off the field. Hell, your playing in the State Championship and you are showing no Pride or Character. Way to go Rabbits.

p.s. I am NOT an Atlanta or Marlin fan. I was at the game as a spectator.

VERNONLION#1
12-21-2003, 07:47 PM
HEY, TAKE ME HIGHER MAYBE YOU NEED TO COME WATCH THE VERNON LIONS PLAY. THEY WILL NEVER QUIT UNTIL THE LAST SECOND TICKS OFF THAT CLOCK. I WISH YOU COULD HAVE SEEN THE TEAM THIS YEAR(MAYBE YOU DID?) THEY WERE UNBELIEVEABLE.

Z motion 10 out on 2
12-21-2003, 08:18 PM
Yes, Vernon got beat by Atlanta 32-14 but believe me the Lions were throwing for the endzone as the time clicked of the clock. I was so very proud of those boys for never quitting. They gave it their all the entire game from start to finish. It almost payed off as Vernon was down 26-7, they came back scored 26-14 then kicked an onside and recovered it. But we fumbled but then held them anmd got the ball back and drove it to the Atlanta 8 yardline before going out on downs. That was with 4 min left in the game. Would have been interesting if Vernon would have scored and went for the onside again. Those young men had no quit in them. I hate to hear that Marlin did.

Also take note: Vernon is returning a lot of players including all of their skill players. It will be the 2nd year under a new head coach and I forsee good things again for the Lions next year.

Leopard213
12-21-2003, 09:27 PM
I've waited until now to say this....

Marlin just didn't have the class to be a state championship team. A State Team doesn't get un-sportsmanlike calls in the playoffs.

Congratulations to Atlanta......

KTJ
12-21-2003, 09:53 PM
See LaMarque

Marlin just didn't have the class to be a state championship team. A State Team doesn't get un-sportsmanlike calls in the playoffs.

lepfan
12-21-2003, 10:43 PM
TakeMeHigher:
As a coach, I was very disappointed with the character of the Marlin players late in the game sat. night. After they realized they were not coming back, they layed down. On one occasion, Atlanta ran back a punt for a touchdown, and the Marlin players were not even try to tackle the ball carrier. In fact, the Atlanta player jog the last nine yards. After the play, I looked back and about 4 or 5 Marlin players were laying on the field not getting up. And this was with about 8 minutes left in the game. Have some PRIDE. Quit walking on and off the field. Hell, your playing in the State Championship and you are showing no Pride or Character. Way to go Rabbits.

p.s. I am NOT an Atlanta or Marlin fan. I was at the game as a spectator.Something like this happened in 2001, too. The fans even walked out of the game early.

TakeMeHigher
12-21-2003, 11:12 PM
Oh, the fans were not very loyal either. Man, you should have seen the Marlin Fans heading out early. It was pretty disappointing to see. They did not stick around to support their team. Again, NO PRIDE or CHARACTER.

rimcutter
12-21-2003, 11:13 PM
I couldn't agree with you more. i saw Marlin play in S.A. against Port Isabel. in the second quarter when marlin went up 21-10 a marlin player was jawing with a P.I. player and pointed to the scoreboard. one of the coaches for marlin took the kid aside and talked to him. after he was done the kid turn around and made jesture to another player that mocked the coach that had just talked to him.

cubs
12-21-2003, 11:24 PM
Folks, remember these are kids yu're talking about - just as if they were grown-ups and had complete control of their emotions. Unfortunately - many of the actions of today's kids are a reflection of our society. I don't like it, but hey - I'm not going to attack a kid for his behavior, either - they SHOULD know better, but maybe they haven't been taught - or maybe they have been taught the wrong thing. Anybody see the special on kids sports on WFAA - Channel 8? You'll see where kids are learning these things - some of the parental behavior is atrocious. Please be a good example for your own children - and leave the gossip and judgement to the old widowwomen in town. LOL

TakeMeHigher
12-21-2003, 11:30 PM
All behaviors are either taught or allowed to happen. If actions like you are talking about happened in S.A., something is not right. What are we teaching our athletes if we ALLOW them to do things that are considered "having a lack of character." Our jobs as coaches are not only to produce athletes but also to produce good citizens, and if these actions are being allowed, then I think we are not doing our jobs.

District303aPastPlayer
12-21-2003, 11:44 PM
KTJ:
See LaMarque

I believe that some of those extra celebration penalties they recieved were uncalled for.

Gilmer Buckeye
12-22-2003, 06:48 AM
I think just about all 'excessive celebration' penalties are uncalled for.

Gilmer used to have a quarterback who did a dance after every TD he scored as if he was auditioning for 'Soul Train' in the 1970s. It was the highlight of the game whenever he did it--a real crowd pleaser. Athletic contests should be entertaining. I do not condone taunting, but penalizing high school kids (heck, any aged kids) for just having fun is ridiculous.

MARLINFAN
12-22-2003, 09:15 AM
WELL all i can say about this is that we started the season the same way we ended it. the so call mocking,taunting, we been doing it all along. yea the bulldogs did lose a fight in the 4th otr but at least we were there. as for the taunting and mocking that everone seems to talk about because were from marlin, it comes along with the game. if u dont do it was is momentum then. the taunting , i have no problem with because atl did the same thing. when burns would get up he would shake his head its just excitement from high school players. the #20 from lg did it their was nothing wrong with it its just players showing their emotions. now to the no discpline matter. if we had no discpline why were we playing in a title game, having no discpline means not doing blocking assigments, reading plays or none of that. well the bulldog slogan was correct this week come ready or never start

duckbutter
12-22-2003, 09:32 AM
You were playing in the title game because of pure raw talent.

TakeMeHigher
12-22-2003, 01:33 PM
Thanks duckbutter. You are exactly right. What I saw was a team with no character. When you get knocked down get up. When you are behind keep playing hard. When things do not go your way suck it up and keep playing.

TARPON DAD
12-22-2003, 02:13 PM
why doesnt this surprise me?
when port isabel played marlin,
my step son was playing with a pulled hamstring.
yet he knew that this might be hes last game ,
of the season,yet he told the couches he would still be there for hes team mates.and even when the game was out of there hands ,he was still there and so were the rest of hes team mates.
not to mention the fans.
it to bad some teams have no style,or class for that matter!
missile wasnt the only player hurt ,franky#1
has been playing with a bad shoulder,orlando hip pointer,thats just to name some of the injurys,
but regadless they went out and played to the end.
and for that i for one am thankful ,and full of pride something i wish every player ,fan,and parentcould feel.
i will never forget this tarpons,they showed the state they could play !
thank you port isabel tarpons!
thanks for giving your all!
WERE PROUD OF YOU GUYS!!! :D

TakeMeHigher
12-22-2003, 06:41 PM
I will give it to Port Isabel. I saw them play Rice Cons. and their fans were amazing. I was really impressed.

lepfan
12-22-2003, 06:56 PM
TakeMeHigher:
All behaviors are either taught or allowed to happen. If actions like you are talking about happened in S.A., something is not right. What are we teaching our athletes if we ALLOW them to do things that are considered "having a lack of character." Our jobs as coaches are not only to produce athletes but also to produce good citizens, and if these actions are being allowed, then I think we are not doing our jobs.I couldn't agree more! If you allow behaviors to continue with the kids they will keep them up. It is all about discipline! (enforced by the leaders and self discipline)

lepfan
12-22-2003, 07:07 PM
MARLINFAN:
WELL all i can say about this is that we started the season the same way we ended it. the so call mocking,taunting, we been doing it all along. yea the bulldogs did lose a fight in the 4th otr but at least we were there. as for the taunting and mocking that everone seems to talk about because were from marlin, it comes along with the game. if u dont do it was is momentum then. the taunting , i have no problem with because atl did the same thing. when burns would get up he would shake his head its just excitement from high school players. the #20 from lg did it their was nothing wrong with it its just players showing their emotions. now to the no discpline matter. if we had no discpline why were we playing in a title game, having no discpline means not doing blocking assigments, reading plays or none of that. well the bulldog slogan was correct this week come ready or never startYour definition of discipline is not correct MARLINFAN, you have some great athletes on your team...but you do lack discipline. Yes, you did get to a championship game...but, you still lacked the discipline needed to win that game. I have more respect for a team with the discipline that should be shown than a team lacking in the discipline department. Yes, you have a few more trophies/medals that several other teams this year (including LG) BUT---you are still missing something....
:)

discipline - training that develops self-control, character, or efficiency. the result of such training;orderly conduct. submission to authority and control . a particular system of rules or methods, as for a monastic order.

Leopard213
12-22-2003, 09:59 PM
lepfan:

TakeMeHigher:
All behaviors are either taught or allowed to happen. If actions like you are talking about happened in S.A., something is not right. What are we teaching our athletes if we ALLOW them to do things that are considered "having a lack of character." Our jobs as coaches are not only to produce athletes but also to produce good citizens, and if these actions are being allowed, then I think we are not doing our jobs.I couldn't agree more! If you allow behaviors to continue with the kids they will keep them up. It is all about discipline! (enforced by the leaders and self discipline)You GO Girl!!!!!

lepfan
12-23-2003, 12:13 AM
Leopard213:

lepfan:

TakeMeHigher:
All behaviors are either taught or allowed to happen. If actions like you are talking about happened in S.A., something is not right. What are we teaching our athletes if we ALLOW them to do things that are considered "having a lack of character." Our jobs as coaches are not only to produce athletes but also to produce good citizens, and if these actions are being allowed, then I think we are not doing our jobs.I couldn't agree more! If you allow behaviors to continue with the kids they will keep them up. It is all about discipline! (enforced by the leaders and self discipline)You GO Girl!!!!!LOL-Where ya been?
We are heading north tomorrow, gonna look for Santa north of the "River"...

lobo12
12-23-2003, 12:23 AM
another reason that thats not good for marlin is that people arent going to remember the great run they made to get to the state game, they are going to remember the way they acted at the state game

lepfan
12-23-2003, 12:26 AM
lobo12:
another reason that thats not good for marlin is that people arent going to remember the great run they made to get to the state game, they are going to remember the way they acted at the state gameSad, but TRUE.

Steve
12-23-2003, 02:33 AM
I can personally agree with this post, it seems when marlin won or is winning everyone stays and hoops and hollers but when they down for the count they give up. I watched the well fought Marlin vs. Bellville game and after the game was over the Marlin fans were on the field jumping around singing some retarted song while the player were shaking hands. Im not talking about the players the players had respect after the game but to me looking at the Marlin fans I think it shows NO respect at all!!! Dont get me wrong you can be happy that your team won cause when bellville beat marlin last year the fans came on the field to congratulate the players...Not taunt the loosing team like Marlin was this year.

lepfan
12-23-2003, 02:38 AM
I do wonder where cunbed (or whatever he is calling himself after his first ROM) is...no word from him lately...maybe he is lost behind the local Wal-Mart or Dairy Queen...looking for someone to "thump" wink

Leopard213
12-23-2003, 11:03 AM
cunbed who?.............the silence is deafening

pakrat
12-23-2003, 04:31 PM
WHAT MARLIN NO CHARACTER !!?? They were who the Burnet 3ADownLow fans were pulling far!!!! :D :D Burnet posters are always the best there is!!! :D :D

afflac65
12-23-2003, 05:26 PM
The way marlin players acted that night were embarassing and shameful....
THEY ARE A DISGRACE TO ALL THE GOOD AND MORAL POSITIVE ATHLETES WHO PLAY THIS GAME.........

poncho
12-23-2003, 06:20 PM
pakrat:
WHAT MARLIN NO CHARACTER !!?? They were who the Burnet 3ADownLow fans were pulling far!!!! :D :D Burnet posters are always the best there is!!! :D :D I don't speak for the rest of the Burnet posters. I was for Marlin for several reasons, that probably aren't all that different from posters from other towns or regions. Burnet played Marlin 2 years straight. Both years Marlin has had a good team. Marlin plays some excellent teams in predistrict games. Based on their performace they got my respect. I don't know where you're from since you wont allow it to be displayed, but I don't like your suggestion Burnet has no character.

<small>[ December 23, 2003, 06:23 PM: Message edited by: poncho ]</small>

Pedestrian
12-23-2003, 09:44 PM
I will remember the marlin fans until I go to my grave. As I played my last game for the Newton Eagles I walked to the locker room underneath the home stands(marlin stands) with my head down, disappointed with our proformance that night losing 37-7. A group of marlin fans were yelling "go play basketball". Being a 5'7'' white boy I did not find the coment funny. Also being the way I am I wanted to yell a few "profain" words at the group of fans. But I did not want to say anything bad to make Newton look like a characterless, gutless, prideless town, school, or team.(like Marlin) I am happy they got beat.

MARLINFAN
12-24-2003, 09:58 AM
you know what you can talk all u want. at least we played in the big dance and u just hatin. we got blew out but you know what we were there and you werent. marlin fans are marlin fans and we stay crunk no matter what. so talk as you wish im not argue with you anymore :D

lobo12
12-24-2003, 11:46 PM
yet again they're not talking about the team yall had. everyone said yall had a great team so get over the we were there and yall werent. having no class has nothing to do with how good your team is.

Hottogo
12-25-2003, 01:34 PM
lepfan:
I do wonder where cunbed (or whatever he is calling himself after his first ROM) is...no word from him lately...maybe he is lost behind the local Wal-Mart or Dairy Queen...looking for someone to "thump" wink Seems I rember cunbed was ROMED last month.

Hottogo
12-25-2003, 01:37 PM
poncho:

pakrat:
WHAT MARLIN NO CHARACTER !!?? They were who the Burnet 3ADownLow fans were pulling far!!!! :D :D Burnet posters are always the best there is!!! :D :D I don't speak for the rest of the Burnet posters. I was for Marlin for several reasons, that probably aren't all that different from posters from other towns or regions. Burnet played Marlin 2 years straight. Both years Marlin has had a good team. Marlin plays some excellent teams in predistrict games. Based on their performace they got my respect. I don't know where you're from since you wont allow it to be displayed, but I don't like your suggestion Burnet has no character.ditto! :mad:

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
12-25-2003, 10:03 PM
Well, I'm suprised that it has taken me this long to reply to this post. I played against Marlin this year, and they beat us 49-0. It wasn't the fact that the game was close that they had to run the score up on us, and it may have been to prove a statement, but nonetheless, it was uncalled for. They were by far the most classless team and played the dirtiest out of anybody we played against all year. Don't get me wrong, they had a great team with a lot of talent and ran on a lot of emotion. They had fans that supported them despite of all of this, and one of the most admirable things was the fact that the fans still stood behind them even when the players shamed their school. You can't change the style of Marlin's play or criticize the things they do, because apparently it is working for them, and if it is winning ball games for them and thats what it takes, I wouldn't change it. They are an in your face football team and what they do leaves a lasting impression on the teams they play. It is actually a good thing, something that a team should strive for. I'm not saying to go dance at midfield, run the score up on your opponents, or give up when you think you're defeated, but I'm saying to be emotional after you make the play and show them that you are for real, and that is what Marlin did a lot of the time. They proved they were there to play football and let the other team know it and more importantly REMEMBER it. As you are sitting here talking about the impression that Marlin left on you and your team, you should be asking yourself a more important question. How is your team going to leave a lasting impression?

poncho
12-25-2003, 10:29 PM
BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END:
Well, I'm suprised that it has taken me this long to reply to this post. I played against Marlin this year, and they beat us 49-0. It wasn't the fact that the game was close that they had to run the score up on us, and it may have been to prove a statement, but nonetheless, it was uncalled for. They were by far the most classless team and played the dirtiest out of anybody we played against all year. Don't get me wrong, they had a great team with a lot of talent and ran on a lot of emotion. They had fans that supported them despite of all of this, and one of the most admirable things was the fact that the fans still stood behind them even when the players shamed their school. You can't change the style of Marlin's play or criticize the things they do, because apparently it is working for them, and if it is winning ball games for them and thats what it takes, I wouldn't change it. They are an in your face football team and what they do leaves a lasting impression on the teams they play. It is actually a good thing, something that a team should strive for. I'm not saying to go dance at midfield, run the score up on your opponents, or give up when you think you're defeated, but I'm saying to be emotional after you make the play and show them that you are for real, and that is what Marlin did a lot of the time. They proved they were there to play football and let the other team know it and more importantly REMEMBER it. As you are sitting here talking about the impression that Marlin left on you and your team, you should be asking yourself a more important question. How is your team going to leave a lasting impression?What a great LAST SENTENCE!!! You've looked past all the crap in previous posts and hit the nail on the head. :cool: eek!

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
12-26-2003, 09:49 PM
Well, it is the truth. People are more worried about how another team looks in contrast to their home team. MARLINFAN is correct, their team did make it there, but no, they don't have an excuse for laying down when they felt the game was out of reach; but they are remembered most for their attitude and their style of play, and other players from other teams should have seen that and worked towards having an attitude of their own. Marlin's attitude should be a prototype for others, but I would take away the dancing at midfield, laying down when they think they can't win, and when they do win, do it with class. Posters on this website should not look at the bad side of Marlin's style and actually see the good in it. When the tables were turned against them at the beginning of the year, they turned their season around in spite of the critics. I think it is all because of their attitude. I also think that it is safe to say that everybody who posted on this topic was left with an impression of Marlin though....

<small>[ December 26, 2003, 08:52 PM: Message edited by: BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END ]</small>

PI-fan
12-27-2003, 03:52 PM
BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END:
Marlin's attitude should be a prototype for otherseek!

PI's attitude is fine, but if it wasn't i'd take Atlanta's, Gainsville's, or Burnet's attitude on how the game is played, certainly NOT Marlins attitude.

BrahmaMom
12-27-2003, 05:21 PM
Marlin had a talented team, they beat the Brahmas. They also took shots at our guys on the field that weren't part of football and their fans were tacky. I felt they were classless. Yep, if I had to be from another town, it wouldn't be Marlin. I'd probably pick Sinton, there's a team and town who knows how to win and lose graciously.

Old Cardinal
12-27-2003, 05:51 PM
To Pedestrian and others: I saw that Newton/Marlin game and would like to compliment the entire Newton team and staff. Marlin won on raw talent, but their cocky and arrogant attitudes continued to be irritating. Newton helded their cool and did the very best they could....Cockiness and big-shot attitudes surely take away from Marlin's good performance record. I am sorry they ended up a representive for Region III.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
12-27-2003, 10:15 PM
Trust me, I'm not saying to take Marlin's attitude and do exactly the same thing, thats why I said it should be a prototype for others, so that way others could improve on it. I was just trying to give credit where it was due, and instead of talking bad about Marlin and have people despise their team and fans, I figured I would shine a little light on the good side of it, it did after all take them places.